Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Lewis & Clark Monday @ 7pm

+3
NoPoNeighbor
dholcombe
DoubleDipper
7 posters

Go down

Pilots vs. Lewis & Clark Monday @ 7pm Empty Pilots vs. Lewis & Clark Monday @ 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:38 am

I've posted the link to the PilotNation thread for the L&C game in 2012, won by UP 78-73.  It would seem that six years ago we were a bit more optimistic and having a lot more fun on PilotNation...let's hope those days return again, soon!

https://www.pilotnation.net/t4903-lewis-clark-chiles-center-tuesday-11-27-700pm

As fans I think most of us would rather the Pilots won or lost to a D1 team in the Chiles Center than play another non-D1 team (L&C is D3), but I can (sort of) see the reasoning by the staff for scheduling L&C again....the team needs to develop another very young team without being beat-down by the likes of UNC or Oklahoma.

LMU is the only other WCC school to schedule two non-D1 games this season, USF, USD, UOP, PU, and SCU each scheduled one non-D1 game.  I'm quite sure the Pilots developed and learned something against Multnomah, but the Lions are such a freaky team, it's hard to say what.

With four games in six days this week, we can only hope Taki and some of the non-scholarship players can get some court time and the rotation players can get some much needed rest, but to date, that has not been TP's style...I guess we'll just have to see how that works out in the long run.

Watch for #3 Kyle Owens, the senior has developed into a D1 caliber player.  The second year assistant coach at L&C is Rashad Jackson's older brother, Randall. Tim McCoy, the head coach, is in his first year at L&C.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Lewis & Clark Monday @ 7pm Empty Re: Pilots vs. Lewis & Clark Monday @ 7pm

Post by dholcombe Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am

It sounds like l & c is going to have the better scouting report available.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Lewis & Clark Monday @ 7pm Empty Re: Pilots vs. Lewis & Clark Monday @ 7pm

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:39 pm

What happened to L&C's previous coach, Foreman? I remember he was highly regarded.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Not sure about scheduling games like this as it sends a bad message to the players, but at least should build some confidence.  Looking for a big big improvement out of them tonight, Northridge game was hopefully a big wakeup call.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:54 pm

I tend to agree with Bobtcat2 on scheduling this game. We have everything to lose with little to gain. I cant imagine the players like it (and it will not help attract recruits) and fans don't like it-especially with the weakness of the schedule overall. If we are going to grow and improve the status of this program, we need to be scheduling better competition.

I know we were put in a tough spot with the relative late notice of a drop out in Hawaii, but we need to show commitment to the program by $eeking out a D-1 program. Heck, playing PSU or Seattle twice would even be preferable to this.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:46 pm

PilotNut wrote:I tend to agree with Bobtcat2 on scheduling this game.  We have everything to lose with little to gain.  I cant imagine the players like it (and it will not help attract recruits) and fans don't like it-especially with the weakness of the schedule overall.  If we are going to grow and improve the status of this program, we need to be scheduling better competition.

I know we were put in a tough spot with the relative late notice of a drop out in Hawaii, but we need to show commitment to the program by $eeking out a D-1 program.  Heck, playing PSU or Seattle twice would even be preferable to this.
Didn't think there was any way they'd be worse than the Northridge first half, but here we are.

Last edited by bobtcat2 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:47 pm

I’m inclined to agree about disliking playing these games but this first half so far makes me think it might still have been a good idea. We do not look good enough to beat the Pioneers thus far. That scares me.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 pm

More shooting practice might of been the better option instead of this game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Losing 2 players to injury (so far) makes this game a disaster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Online radio not broadcasting the game, so no post game interviews here.

"Fun" fact: We haven't an official game yet where we lead at halftime.

Multnomah (NAIA): Down 2
Hawaii: Down 2
North Texas: Down 9
CSU Northridge: Down 14
Lewis & Clark (DIII): Down 1
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 pm

up7587 wrote:Losing 2 players to injury (so far) makes this game a disaster.
Yeah, JoJo's ankle injury didn't look good.

Hugh had his ankle taped, but then had it iced when it was obvious TP was clearing the bench.

Good chat with Rashad Jackson before the game.  He graduates in mid-December and then plans to grad-transfer, but "not sure where."

Not much to add about the game except UP is a lot better team when they play aggressive lock-down defense followed by a quick transition to offense.  They're also much more successful at scoring if they'll pass the ball at least two or three times during the transition.

Considering Theo has less than two years of basketball experience, his progress has been pretty eye-opening since arriving on the Bluff...and the coaches are trying to give him as much playing time as they can.

Good to see Brian Smith in the game.  His teammates love him, and he too has shown a lot of progress since arriving at UP.  When Brian, Taki, and Miles got in the game, every Pilot available played except JP (Josh Phillips), and he's really not "available" as the plan is still to have him redshirt.  JP has dressed for every game so far as an "emergency backup."  (Yes, there is a new rule that allows a football player to play four games and still preserve his redshirt status, and no, there is no such provision for basketball. IMO the football rule is not good, and some expect it to be repealed).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down