Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewis & Clark @ UP 12/22 @ 2PM

5 posters

Go down

Lewis & Clark @ UP 12/22 @ 2PM Empty Lewis & Clark @ UP 12/22 @ 2PM

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Remember fans, this game is at 2 PM on Monday!

Some may remember four significant factors from UP's last game with Lewis & Clark two years ago:

1. up7587 was having a difficult time recognizing the difference between a Black Lab and L/C's mascot, a Newfoundland.
2. Geez didn't understand why the Newfoundland was named "Pio" instead of Seaman, the name of the dog that accompanied Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery during their journey across America.
3. We missed out seeing a Lewis & Clark player make a 5-point play when he missed his second free-throw.  (Remember, the ref called a foul that was simultaneous with the 3-point shot....but replays showed it clearly was NOT simultaneous).
4. The Lewis & Clark basketball team hit 15 three-pointers in the game and led much of the time before the Pilots finally closed them out, 78-73.

With KB and David hurt, the only two Pilots from that game that are still playing are Thomas and Bryce....and Bryce only played 6 minutes and scored 2 points.

This year's game shouldn't be close....Lewis & Clark has no size and very little talent compared to previous years, and they have not played a game 20 days!  The one common opponent, Concordia-Portland, beat L & C, 100-92 in 2 OT's, so they are at least capable of scoring.  UP beat Concordia, 87-59 in the first game of the season.

Expect to see the bench empty early....this game should be a nice tune-up and a chance to try some mixing of lineups and an opportunity to work on some defensive schemes and offensive plays before facing San Diego next Saturday.

Some of the players will be heading to their own homes for a quick holiday break, while others will be welcome guests elsewhere....everyone reconvenes in San Diego on Christmas Day.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Lewis & Clark @ UP 12/22 @ 2PM Empty Re: Lewis & Clark @ UP 12/22 @ 2PM

Post by PilotNut Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Grrr. I don't agree with this annual weekday 2pm tip-off game. Us working types will have a tough time making it (I already know I will have to miss it). I understand they are catering to youths for this one... but what about your regular paying season ticket holders and Pilot Club donors?!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:06 pm

PilotNut wrote:Grrr.  I don't agree with this annual weekday 2pm tip-off game.  Us working types will have a tough time making it (I already know I will have to miss it).   I understand they are catering to youths for this one... but what about your regular paying season ticket holders and Pilot Club donors?!
A. What, you don't have "sick" days available....? (Sorry, those of us who were union employees had plenty of personal days we could use for Pilots games).
B. The 2 PM tip gives some players a chance to fly home tonight (some accompanied by players who can't go to their own homes), and it gives everyone a chance to get away from basketball for a full 72 hours.
C. But yeah, I see your point....with so few games at home each year, we want to see them all!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Sick days? what are those?!

End of year is a busy time for me; add on days missed for holiday travel/plans, other's days off, etc... and I shall be stuck at the office.

I know the reasons why they do it... but maybe the ticket to this game should have been complimentary in the season ticket packs... or play the game tonight (or why schedule it this time of year at all? or maybe play L&C some other time, or not at all?). Its the principle that gets me a bit.

Then again, college football teams sell out their fans all the time with television-game kick off times, so we aren't alone.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:45 am

The Pilots must be feeling your love, PilotNut, they've got you pictured on the game day page and have a link so you can watch the game on the internet.  santa

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2014/12/22/MBB_1222143127.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:18 am

I believe they have my knees and hands in prayer.

I'll be watching from the heart of the Garden State.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Yes its been two years since we have played Lewis and Clark. Does anyone know or remember the significance of us canceling the game last year?

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Just a guess...

Anything to do with the WCC scheduling the pilots as foreign residents for December and January?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Just a guess...

Anything to do with the WCC scheduling the pilots as foreign residents for December and January?

While that was "nice" it isn't the answer I was looking for...

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Im guessing it was due to playing the 2-game tourney (Princeton & Bradley) in Vegas right before Christmas, and then WCC play right after... they may not have been able to find a mutually available date...? (Total conjecture here).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Neat new feature debuted in the 2nd half, in-game Coach's Q&A. You can ask questions from the stands, and Coach answers them. Nice!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:52 pm

up7587 wrote:Neat new feature debuted in the 2nd half, in-game Coach's Q&A.  You can ask questions from the stands, and Coach answers them. Nice!
Yeah, but that was just the short answer....I got the full answer after the game.  

Not often Coach Rev gets a Technical, but (I've been told) the refs are only human and sometimes react when they feel they are being dissed.

Somehow I don't think asking questions from the stands will work during the GU game.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:08 pm

A few highlights for those who couldn't attend:

I spoke with a number of players and their families after the game....all were focused on USD on Saturday, but they were also focused on some down time to just shoot baskets in their driveways or local high school gym while spending a little time with family.  

The plan is to meet in San Diego on Christmas Day for a "shoot-around and a light sweat."  tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Ok, since I couldn't attend... what is this question and answer thing? Was Rev talking to the refs via the crowd? rendeer

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:28 pm

PilotNut wrote:Ok, since I couldn't attend... what is this question and answer thing?  Was Rev talking to the refs via the crowd?  rendeer
Oh, he was given a technical for something he said to the ref, and an old guy in Section 13 asked, "What did he say."  And because there was very little crowd noise, Rev heard the question and gave the short answer that he said, "the score shouldn't matter."

Later he revealed he did say that, but also used the term "high school" in describing the opposing player's "dislodging" Phillip by kneeing him in the back of the legs as might happen in high school.  Basically, Rev probably deserved the "T" based upon the ref thinking Rev was indicating he (the ref) should be a high school ref....but it was the usual heat of the moment thing where both misunderstood each other.  

The Pilots were up by 27 at the time and everyone was ready to head home and start partying....so the technical was inconsequential and the break in the routine was kind of fun.  santa  

Much ado about nothing, frankly, but it was fun having Rev revved up and talking to the crowd....not for the first time.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:03 am

Pilots Breeze Past Pioneers in Non-Conference Finale

On the Web:  www.portlandpilots.com/news/2014/12/22/MBB_1222142606.aspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – Thomas van der Mars scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Portland to a 71-49 victory over the Lewis & Clark Pioneers in the final non-conference game of the season for the Pilots Monday afternoon at the Chiles Center.

The Pilots (9-3) dominated the NCAA Division III Pioneers (4-4), leading by as much as 30 points midway through the second period.

Senior guard Bobby Sharp added 12 points on 4-of-7 three-point shooting, grabbed four rebounds and dished out three assists. Sophomore guard Alec Wintering added 10 points, three assists and three steals in 18 minutes. A total of ten Pilots scored on the day.

Portland used a big size advantage to gain a 42-25 rebounding edge and 24-12 margin in points in the paint. The Pilots also had eight steals and seven blocked shots.

Lewis & Clark was led by Serg Ovchinnikov’s game-high 17 points, including four three-pointers.

The Pioneers jumped out to an early 6-2 lead on back-to-back Ovchinnikov three-pointers, but the Pilots would use a 22-5 run capped by a van der Mars jumper to push the margin to double digits. Lewis & Clark would hit a buzzer beating baseline jumper from Alex Jones to cut the deficit to 38-24 at the break.

Pilot freshman Gabe Taylor’s jumper concluded an 8-0 midway through the second period for a 64-34 lead and Portland head coach Eric Reveno went with the reserves for the remainder of the game.

The Pilots were without leading scorer Kevin Bailey (foot) for the fifth straight game and he will be re-evaluated on a week-to-week basis.

Portland will now focus on West Coast Conference play which begins on Saturday at San Diego with a 6 p.m. tip-off. The game will have free live video at www.TheW.tv, while radio coverage begins at 5:30 p.m. on Sports 910. The Pilots continue their road trip at BYU on Monday, Dec. 29 with a 6 p.m. (PT) tip on BYUtv.

Newspaper Box Score
Lewis & Clark vs Portland
12/22/14 2:00 PM at Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)
At Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)

PORTLAND 71, LEWIS & CLARK 49

LEWIS & CLARK (4-4)
Ovchinnikov, Serg 5-9 3-4 17; Luhnow, Jason 2-4 0-0 5; Mongkholtham, LaDarr
0-1 5-6 5; Roberson, Cannen 2-11 1-1 5; Appleton, Carl 2-4 0-2 4; Carter,
Bradley 2-6 0-0 4; Leathers, Justin 1-6 1-2 4; Walker, Michael 1-3 0-0 3;
Jones, Alex 1-6 0-0 2; Collins, Mat 0-0 0-0 0; Grobecker, Kristian 0-0 0-0
0; Boddie, Jonathan 0-4 0-0 0; Coombe, Cory 0-2 0-0 0; Davison, Evan 0-1 0-0
0. Totals 16-57 10-15 49.

PORTLAND (9-3)
VAN DER MARS, Thomas 7-9 2-2 16; SHARP, Bobby 4-7 0-0 12; WINTERING, Alec
2-4 5-7 10; GERUN, Volodymyr 3-4 0-0 7; TODD, Jason 2-4 2-2 7; BARKER, Riley
1-3 4-4 6; TAYLOR, Gabe 2-3 1-2 5; ZUBIZARRETA, Aitor 1-3 2-2 4; TYSON,
D'Marques 1-5 0-0 3; HARTWICH, Philipp 0-1 1-2 1; LIVINGSTON, Max 0-2 0-0 0;
PRESSLEY, Bryce 0-2 0-0 0. Totals 23-47 17-21 71.

Lewis & Clark.................   24   25  -   49
Portland......................   38   33  -   71

3-point goals--Lewis & Clark 7-22 (Ovchinnikov, Serg 4-7; Leathers, Justin
1-3; Luhnow, Jason 1-2; Walker, Michael 1-3; Jones, Alex 0-4; Coombe, Cory
0-1; Roberson, Cannen 0-2), Portland 8-18 (SHARP, Bobby 4-7; TYSON,
D'Marques 1-4; WINTERING, Alec 1-1; GERUN, Volodymyr 1-1; TODD, Jason 1-1;
LIVINGSTON, Max 0-1; PRESSLEY, Bryce 0-1; ZUBIZARRETA, Aitor 0-1; BARKER,
Riley 0-1). Fouled out--Lewis & Clark-Luhnow, Jason, Portland-None.
Rebounds--Lewis & Clark 25 (Appleton, Carl 5), Portland 42 (VAN DER MARS,
Thomas 9). Assists--Lewis & Clark 8 (Roberson, Cannen 3), Portland 14
(PRESSLEY, Bryce 4). Total fouls--Lewis & Clark 17, Portland 16. Technical
fouls--Lewis & Clark-None, Portland-TEAM. A-1273

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:17 am

PilotNut wrote:Ok, since I couldn't attend... what is this question and answer thing?  Was Rev talking to the refs via the crowd?  rendeer
Haha, having the Coach turn around and speak to the fans, answering our question was crazy.

Hopefully, the crowds will be large enough the rest of the season that our inane chatter in the stands won't be heard by Coach! jocolor

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:52 am

I can't imagine why the crowd was smaller... Rolling Eyes

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:02 am

PilotNut wrote:I can't imagine why the crowd was smaller... Rolling Eyes
Actually, it wasn't too bad for a weekday matinee.  Lots of kids and dads....

Judging by the amount of trash on the ground in the row I was sitting in, the concession stand did very well selling ice cream and popcorn....and when it was announced during the second half that hot dogs were only a dollar, everyone spoiled their dinner. tongue

I guess the hot dogs they didn't sell will be available to GU fans on January 3rd. santa
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:15 pm

What's the answer to PilotDad's trivia question?!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Sorry boys I forgot to follow up. Been wrapping up final details for the holidays.

Last year the admin decided to cancel the LC game, and it turned out to be exactly the reason they played it this year. Can't make the same mistake twice.
When the conference season was winding down the team was informed that if they finished the season at .500 they would be invited to a post season tourney. As you all know we ended up being one game/win shy of hitting that mark. The point being that the LC game would have given the team another game and a much deserved post season opportunity for the seniors and us fans.

So that's the trivia answer in a nutshell. And let me add a Merry Christmas to all the PN family!

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

pilotdad1 wrote:The point being that the LC game would have given the team another game and a much deserved post season opportunity for the seniors and us fans.

Digging into my shaky knowledge of NCAA rules...I think scheduling L&C would have to have been in place of another opponent, so unless the L&C game was played in place of the Michigan State, Oregon State, or Montana State games the Pilots still would have fallen a win short.

As I read it, teams can play 27 regular season games plus a multiple-team event in any given season. Last year the Pilots had 30 games played heading into the WCC tournament...18 conference, nine non-conference, three in the Idaho/Columbia/North Texas tournament at Chiles that counted as an exempt. No room on the schedule for another regular season game, even a non-D1 team.

The schedule's exactly the same this year...the presence of two non-D1 teams on the schedule doesn't change the basic makeup of nine non-conference games plus three at the Nashville event for a total of 12.

From a scheduling standpoint, I can now see why it's advantageous to play the maximum of two non-D1 teams that they're allowed even though they can be a bit of a drag to watch. Two free wins on the schedule, but without the RPI drain that comes with scheduling a turrible team (Southern Utah last year, San Jose State this year).

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:32 pm

That makes sense too. I'm just reflecting on the scuttlebutt from last year.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down