Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm

+6
blacksheep
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Empty Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Lewis & Clark Pioneers (NCAA Div. III) @ Portland
Tuesday, Nov. 27 - 7:00 PST
Chiles Center

TV - N/A
UP Video, Audio & Livestats
Portland Radio - 800 AM
L&C Radio: N/A

Rankings
Sagarin: Portland 267, L&C N/A (through Sunday's games)
Pomeroy: Portland 224, L&C N/A (through Sunday's games)

Portland (2-3) - Season Stats
Nov. 10 - L, 82-51 @ Ohio
Nov. 15 - W, 51-48 vs. Idaho State
Nov. 18 - L, 83-64 @ Montana State
Nov. 21 - W, 81-60 vs. Portland State
Nov. 25 - L, 54-69 @ New Mexico
Key Players - F Ryan Nicholas, G Kevin Bailey

Lewis & Clark (3-0) - Season Stats
Nov. 4 (Exhibition) - L -@ Oregon St., 58-83
Nov. 16 - W, 99-68 - UC Santa Cruz
Nov. 17 - W, 81-53 - Colorado College
Nov. 24 - W, 77-61 - Concordia (Portland)

Portland Info
Preview

L&C Info
Lewis & Clark Athletics Website

Last edited by PilotNut on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Empty Re: Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:04 pm

I figured I would get us rolling this time... mix it up a bit.

We have a common opponet already, in Concordia (Portland). We won in an exhibition, 87-69, and L&C won in what looks like a neutral floor tournament 77-61.

Go Pilots!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Empty Re: Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:26 pm

At one point this game was listed at 7:30pm. An email just went out and it's posted in the subject of this thread but, in case you missed it

THIS GAME IS AT 7PM.

No excuses.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Haha, the game time didn't fool me, I thought the game was on Wednesday....

Thanks for setting me straight, PilotNut.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm

What would we most like to see from the team in this game, which comes right in the midst of the murderers' row stretch of the schedule (@New Mexico, @WSU, UNLV, @UK)?

This is an important chance to address some key areas of concern before the next three tough games. My wish list:

1) Nicholas gets back on track. His shooting has been awful for the last three games (7-30 from the field). We need him to find his touch if we're to have any chance of being competitive this season.

2) Thieleke continues his excellent play. If he continues to play well and gain confidence, I believe it can be contagious. He plays with such energy and emotion, I think he makes everyone else better when he is on the floor. I've loved seeing Thieleke and K. Bailey on the floor together.

3) Rodgers asserts himself offensively. If Rodgers can keep scoring at least 8 points per game, it will be a huge boost to the team. He needs to be a bit more aggressive and continue to take shots! He is a tenacious defender, and some offensive production will make it so that the coaches can afford to leave him on the floor for extended minutes. I'd like to see Rodgers move into the starting lineup.

4) Someone, anyone, step up and make some three-pointers. Riley? Carr? Pressley?

5) Let's set a new season-low in turnovers. The mark to beat is 13 against Idaho State.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm

All good points. I would also like to see more aggresive scoring from the centers; they will have a significant height advantage. The tallest players listed on the L&C roster are 6'-7". And I would hope to see a dominating rebound advantage. Finally, keep the personal fouls to a minimum, by being in good position and not reaching.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:39 pm

up7587 wrote:All good points. I would also like to see more aggressive scoring from the centers; they will have a significant height advantage. The tallest players listed on the L&C roster are 6'-7". And I would hope to see a dominating rebound advantage. Finally, keep the personal fouls to a minimum, by being in good position and not reaching.
Yea, I gotta say that against UNM, our "bigs" were almost impossible to even find amongst their bigs.

After hours of work passing to the post prior to the PSU game, the tactic just did NOT work in Albuquerque. Evil or Very Mad

My hope is some outside points from David Carr to take the pressure off of Tanner, and for Riley Barker (and others, perhaps) to keep his arms up after receiving a pass.....just go for the hoop, don't put the ball on the floor or below chest high....get fouled, don't turn it over.

In the past, Lewis & Clark played a zone defense....I don't know about now, but that would be good practice for the Pilots, as they are sure to keep facing it until they can break it.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Oh yeah. I'd also like to know why their name is Pioneers, but their logo is a labrador retriever.
Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Pionee10
I don't recall reading about a lot of labs on the Oregon Trail.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Often confused by teams that are not Gonzaga, BYU or Bay Area teams, our friend Zack Farmer believes the Pilots will bounce back tomorrow night. Yes, he thinks UP is playing Lewis & Clark St; the same team that is playing Gonzaga in a couple of days....no matter, I'm sure he hasn't scouted either Lewis or Clark. clown
Nov. 27

Lewis-Clark State at Portland (2-3), 7 p.m.

If there is one thing we can say so far this season for the Pilots is they know how to get back off the mat. They have three losses in five games but have not lost consecutive games. This trend will likely continue this week. There are a couple of oddities about Portland. The Pilots have improved their shooting, yet don’t score much. They are also not a good rebounding team outside of Ryan Nicholas, who is averaging 8.8 per contest.

Predicted winner: Portland
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 pm

up7587 wrote:Oh yeah. I'd also like to know why their name is Pioneers, but their logo is a Labrador retriever.
Um, I don’t think that’s a black Lab.

You might recall that a Newfoundland dog accompanied the Corps of Discovery during the Lewis and Clark Expedition west.

I'm guessing the name of the school and mascot both came from that expedition.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:Oh yeah. I'd also like to know why their name is Pioneers, but their logo is a Labrador retriever.

You might recall that a Newfoundland dog accompanied the Corps of Discovery during the Lewis and Clark Expedition west.

Yup, that's Seaman, Merriwether Lewis' dog. He is the only animal that completed the entire trip. The rest were either eaten or traded to Indians.

Dog was considered a delicacy by the expedition members( they ate 263). They preferred them to Salmon.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 pm

OK.
Labrador
Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Labrad10

Newfoundland
Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Newfou10

But it still looks like a lab to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Yep, from Wikipedia

In 2008, Seaman became the official mascot of Lewis & Clark College's Pioneers.

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm

up7587 wrote:OK.
Labrador
Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Labrad10

Newfoundland
Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Newfou10

But it still looks like a lab to me.

Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm 1579b870e4a30d9b5a296c2530010aaa

They look more like big fat poodles to me. Head like a mastiff and slobber like them.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 pm

blacksheep wrote:Yep, from Wikipedia

In 2008, Seaman became the official mascot of Lewis & Clark College's Pioneers.
Remember Big Ben Sullivan? Ben was the Director of Basketball Ops at L&C last year, but has moved on to be an internship with the San Antonio Spurs, I believe.

Last year Ben told me the mascot's name was Pio, the same as the name of the shuttle bus that takes students from L&C to Pioneer Square in Portland, and back. Ben and I were on the shuttle when he casually mentioned this little tid-bit.

I think I'll drop out of this discussion now after making this most boring post I've ever written (in MY opinion).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Often confused by teams that are not Gonzaga, BYU or Bay Area teams, our friend Zack Farmer believes the Pilots will bounce back tomorrow night. Yes, he thinks UP is playing Lewis & Clark St; the same team that is playing Gonzaga in a couple of days....no matter, I'm sure he hasn't scouted either Lewis or Clark. clown
Nov. 27

Lewis-Clark State at Portland (2-3), 7 p.m.

If there is one thing we can say so far this season for the Pilots is they know how to get back off the mat. They have three losses in five games but have not lost consecutive games. This trend will likely continue this week. There are a couple of oddities about Portland. The Pilots have improved their shooting, yet don’t score much. They are also not a good rebounding team outside of Ryan Nicholas, who is averaging 8.8 per contest.

Predicted winner: Portland

Concordia has played Lewis-Clark State and Lewis & Clark this year, which shouldn't be confusing at all to their fans.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
I think I'll drop out of this discussion now after making this most boring post I've ever written (in MY opinion).

It was pretty boring, but I don't think it even makes your top ten Very Happy
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 pm

DAMN!

Beat me to it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:33 pm

This thread is awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 pm

OK....now you've done it! I'm breaking my promise and will post again on the story of the Newfoundland at Lewis and Clark.....

From the Lewis and Clark Athletics website -- October 5, 2010
"Pio" Joins The Lewis & Clark Campus As Latest Sculpture From The Expedition To Be Unveiled

PALATINE HILL – On September 30 the Lewis& Clark department of Physical Education & Athletics unveiled the newest sculpture to join the campus collection. A bronzed Newfoundland dog, modeled after the Pioneers athletic mascot, was unveiled in the foyer of the Pamplin Sports Center.

The athletics department adopted the Newfoundland as its mascot in October of 2008 after an extensive search process. For the new athletics logo, the Pioneers were looking for something, a rendering that elicited emotion from the audience, and that was "sporty," - something that was active, proud and suggestive of victory.

After finding no pictorial representations of literal "Pioneer" that those adjective would fit, the brainstorming turned in the direction of "Lewis & Clark". One of the more overlooked members of the Lewis & Clark expedition was a dog, a Newfoundland. This breed embodies all the qualities we were looking for in an athletics mark. Newfoundland's are strong, heroic, loyal, proud, dignified, courageous, happy and fun. With this in mind, graphic artist Jim Ward developed the new mark for Pioneer Athletics. "Pio", the name of our dog, ushers in a new era of Pioneer Athletics.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Now, no more piling-on ladies....
Lewis & Clark @ Chiles Center, Tuesday 11/27, 7:00pm Dog-pi10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 pm

All that extensive research they did and they didn't find out the dog's name was Seaman.

(or Scannon. Lewis had pretty horrible handwriting sometimes.)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:All that extensive research they did and they didn't find out the dog's name was Seaman.

(or Scannon. Lewis had pretty horrible handwriting sometimes.)
Well, actually they did....here's the entire article from the Athletics Department: Pio

In my world, a PIO is a Pilot Induced Oscillation....I'm hoping the game against Lewis and Clark results in Pilots Induced Oscillations in the Pioneers. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 am

I'm over the dog thing. Can't you find some cheerleader pictures?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:01 am

DoubleDipper wrote:

In my world, a PIO is a Pilot Induced Oscillation.. Razz

In my world, pio ( pronounced peeoh) is either Spanish for pius, or when doubled, is a south American tribe or the sound a small finch makes in Spanish.

Ja ja.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next