Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Recruiting

+11
JimmAlacki
dholcombe
PilotNut
wrv
NoPoNeighbor
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Sound Voltex
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

2019 Recruiting - Page 9 Empty Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:05 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Oh, I think I see what you mean, McCaskill was with the Missouri Flight a couple weekends ago. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's standard for a recently graduated high school player committed to a D1 school to be playing at whatever level that is...AAU?
Link Year Prep wrote:Help us welcome @iceylife05 (Donyae MCaskill) to the Pride! Big time pick up, was already a MM signee who has decided to reclassify!!! #PartOfThePride
Donyae McCaskill has "reclassified" and will spend a year at Link Year Prep, the same school the Pilots' guard Chase Adams attended...and the Pilots once again have 13 scholarship players for 2019-20.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11312
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:13 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:So I guess that's it, then? With Phillips apparently returning, I guess the 2019-20 lineup will shape up something like this?

PG - Walker, Ferebee, Adams
SG - Porter, McCaskill Harewood
SF - White, Fahrensohn
PF - Tryon, Diabate, Phillips
C - Hogland, Akwuba, Collinsworth
FYP Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Hey, here we go.
@JonRothstein wrote:Source: VMI grad transfer Austin Vereen will visit Portland on Friday. Immediately eligible.
Didn't play at all last year due to wrist surgery, but was a big contributor on a not-so-good VMI team back in 2017-18 (10.4 points, 4.7 rebounds per game). 6-4, 190 with one season left and plays at a position of need for next year's Pilots. Looks like Siena is also targeting him, he visited there last weekend.
I have no idea if UP ever made Austin Vereen an offer, but apparently Vereen found Stockton and Coach Stoudamire to his liking as he committed to UOP yesterday...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoCal_Pilot Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:25 pm

It seems like Vereen and Harewood are similar players in terms of what they can bring to the table? Just speculating but it would seem likely that the Pilots would only be on the market for one of the two

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2019-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:11 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The combined "quiet/dead period" began on April 1 and ends at noon this coming Thursday, but apparently Bakari Evelyn and Markus Golder visited UP March 29-31.  

From what I gather, they were both being recruited by Coach Cantu... Rolling Eyes
Checking on the Valpo grad-transfers, Evelyn and Golder, they both landed elsewhere.

Golder, the Clackamas High and Valparaiso grad, was apparently thought to not be the "best fit" for UP, and ended up at Portland State.

Evelyn, the better athlete and player of the two, was apparently turned away by UP because of his "suspect ankles," and is now at Iowa.

It will be interesting to see how each performs this coming season...

Going back through this thread, it's interesting to note how many of Coach Cantu's prospects were NOT signed...the only one is Cody Collinsworth.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoCal_Pilot Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:17 pm

That is interesting about Coach Cantu's targets, I wonder if that's common in situations like this? It would seem logical in the sense that if I was a recruit of Coach Cantu's I would be a little worried about going to the place that just fired him.

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:01 am

SoCal_Pilot wrote:That is interesting about Coach Cantu's targets, I wonder if that's common in situations like this? It would seem logical in the sense that if I was a recruit of Coach Cantu's I would be a little worried about going to the place that just fired him.

Presumably they met TP and he also expressed an interest. scratch
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SoCal_Pilot Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:23 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
SoCal_Pilot wrote:That is interesting about Coach Cantu's targets, I wonder if that's common in situations like this? It would seem logical in the sense that if I was a recruit of Coach Cantu's I would be a little worried about going to the place that just fired him.

Presumably they met TP and he also expressed an interest.  scratch

True, but I've read a few articles indicating that it is mostly the assistants talking to recruits and building relationships with them. The head coach is often only brought in to seal the deal.

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Well at least Niven had the courtesy to mention the Pilots on Saturday!
@IcebucketNep wrote:Georgia, Wake Forest, St. John's, Oregon, Georgetown, Texas A&M, Portland. Where should I go? 🤔 #Decisions
After a whirlwind of recruitment by some outstanding programs, Niven Glover signed with Fresno State!

It would seem UP's interest, and the interest of all the high-major schools disappeared when Glover's coach described him as "selfish" and a "team cancer."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:He wasn't on the Northwest Shootout roster, but it looks like the Pilots have offered RJ Veliz from Woodburn a spot as a walk-on.
With point guards Brian Smith and Xavier Hallinan both moving on, RJ will be a welcome addition to the "scout" team and could eventually earn some playing time.

Word is RJ is a 4.0 student and has earned a Presidential Scholarship at UP...
Originally planning to walk-on at UP, RJ instead decided to play at St. Martin's, but now he'll be much closer to his home in Woodburn after enrolling at Western Oregon and joining the basketball team to play for first-year head coach, Wes Pifer.  (Former UP assistant, Jim Shaw, left WOU during the offseason to be an assistant at WSU.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:27 pm

wrv wrote:Any indication that Chase Adams, the Hoop Scoop wunderkind, is interested in attending the U?
It was "picture day" this week, and it's great to see the new #10 in uniform...

We don't yet know how his skills will translate at the D1 level, but I can tell you for sure his great attitude will translate anywhere!

2019 Recruiting - Page 9 Chase14
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:36 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Cody Collinsworth is a 7-0 post who has garnered interest from several high major schools.  According to the Gonzaga and LSU fan forums, Gonzaga was the first on him and many followed suit including, TCU, LSU, Arizona State, Maryland, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., and others, but his only known offers are from TCU, Air Force, and Northwestern St.
Cody might be a "raw talent," but as they say, "you can't teach size!"

2019 Recruiting - Page 9 Cody11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:48 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:WHOA. The Pilots have a grad transfer!
@GregLevinsky wrote:Isaiah White (@_isaiah_white) tells me he has committed to University of Portland as a grad transfer. 6-foot-5 guard averaged 13.5 PPG as a redshirt junior for UMaine in 2018-19. Also went to UNC Asheville & Harford Community College. @VerbalCommits
Word is grad-student Isaiah White has been showing he's the on-court team leader the Pilots have so desperately needed since Phil and Alec were seniors during TP's first season on The Bluff...and this is now his 4th!
2019 Recruiting - Page 9 White10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:14 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:I like it. Welcome, Chase!
SLCC star Chase Adams’ basketball career started with a viral moment. Then it took a sudden twist...

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2022/03/01/slcc-star-chase-adams/

I really enjoyed getting to know Chase, and only wish the best for him as he continues his college career and life.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9