Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baseball 2019

+4
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
Sound Voltex
ExpatPilot
8 posters

Go down

Baseball 2019 Empty Baseball 2019

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:16 am

Not too sure what I want to predict for baseball this year. They moved up the standings last year, so I would like to see them fighting for a WCC tournament spot (top 4), I suppose.

We beat Hawaii with a 6-run 10th inning explosion in Hawaii to start the season! It is not easy to win in Hawaii not just due to travel, but because they are a good program.

Playing a double header today and one on Sunday.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Baseball 2019 Empty Re: Baseball 2019

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Portland scored six runs in the 10th inning for a 10-4 victory over Hawaii in a season-opening game that was peppered with intermittent rain and controversy at Les Murakami Stadium

A Friday night crowd of 2,549 saw the Pilots fill the bases in the 10th, then unfilled them with a hit batsman and three doubles.

The Rainbow Warriors had rallied from a 4-1 deficit to tie it at 4 in the seventh. But they missed an opportunity to win it after loading the bases in the ninth. Jack Kennelly tapped a grounder back to the mound. Connor Knutson fired to home to catcher Dutton Elske, who then threw out Kennelly at first. But UH coach Mike Trapasso asked for a review on whether Elske touched the plate as pinch runner Daylen Calicdan raced home. The umpires upheld the double play.

The ’Bows scored a run in the seventh to tie it at 4. Adam Fogel reached when he was struck by a pitch. Logan Pouelsen followed with a ground single to center. Ethan Lopez then hit a towering fly near the left-field line. The ball fell among a triangle of Portland fielders as Fogel scooted home with the tying run.

In the sixth inning, the ’Bows closed to 4-3 when first baseman Alex Baeza blasted a two-run drive over the wall in right field.

Kennelly then drew a walk and Dallas Duarte was hit with a pitch, leading to Portland starter Eli Morse’s ouster. Left-handed Cole Wilkinson walked Scotty Scott to fill the bases for UH. Wilkinson exited, and Christian Peters, a right-hander with a submarine delivery, was summoned.

Maaki Yamazaki grounded back to Peters, who threw home to get Kennelly for the second out.

Elske’s throw to first struck Yamazaki and rolled into right field, with Duarte racing home for the apparent tying run.

But the umpires ruled that Yamazaki interfered with the throw to first. Yamazaki was ruled out, ending the ’Bows’ threat.

Left-hander Jeremy Wu-Yelland earned the ’Bows’ first start in place of Dylan Thomas, who is being held out of the four-game series because of a blister problem on the middle finger of his right (pitching) hand.

Wu-Yelland was splendid early. He struck out two in the first inning, another two in the second, and had seven strikeouts after five scoreless innings.

But after two successful tours through the Pilots’ lineup, Wu-Yelland struggled in the third go-around. Chad Stevens tripled on a drive that just eluded center fielder Adam Fogel to open the sixth inning.

Coden Hawken followed with a line single to left to score Stevens and tie it at 1.

Hawken then went to second on Hunter Montgomery’s bloop single to left. Both runners advanced on Daniel Lopez’s sacrifice. That led to Trapasso pulling Wu-Yelland.

But the replacement, Pouelsen, had difficulty finding the strike zone. Pouelsen walked Henry Cheney to load the bases. After striking out Tracye Tammaro on a 3-2 pitch, Pouelsen walked Elske on four pitches to bring home Hawken with the go-ahead run.

The Pilots added two more runs when Jace McKinney reached on an infield single to deep short, and Matt Kelly was hit by a Pouelsen pitch with the bases loaded.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/16/sports/portland-pounces-to-win-in-10-innings-against-hawaii/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Split the double header on Saturday and then shutout the Warriors 4-0 on Sunday to start the season 3-1!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 am

Got through the double header to start the weekend 2-0!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Finished the weekend by dropping a close one to UTRGV and then beating North Dakota State again. Brings the total record to 6-2.

One thing is for sure: we have plenty of offense! We have scored and had many hits in every game thus far.

The team will be back in Texas the following weekend for a four game series with Stephen F. Austin State University.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Game Day:  The Pilot take on the Ducks in UP's home opener this afternoon at 5pm at Joe Etzel Field.

The Ducks are riding a six-game winning streak after sweeping both SMC and LMU in Eugene...so it could give the Pilots some indication on how they might stack-up in the WCC.

It's still colder than normal in Portland, but at least the wind has died down some, as the 8-4 Pilot try to down the 7-2 Duck for their 3rd win in two years over UO.  (2018: (4/9) POR 9, @ ORE 7 (11); and (4/25) @ POR 2, ORE 1.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11279
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Congrats to Chris Clements
https://twitter.com/wccsports/status/1102691698927329281?s=21
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 pm

Pilots win!

There were probably close to 400 people in the stands over the course of the game, but I'd say most of us found it too cold to stick around for UP's five-run eruption in the 8th inning that downed the Ducks, 5-3.

Shutout through the first seven innings, the Pilots' aluminum bats were literally about as cold as they could get without shattering, but five singles and a go-ahead pinch-hit two-run double by Gabe Skoro provided all the runs UP needed to gain their fourth win in a row over UO.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Nothing like a comeback against a Pac 12 opponent in the ninth. Go Pilots.

Almost unbelievable.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 am

SouthCarolinaPilot must be an extended Spring Break, so I'll jump in here and report that the Pilots are off to a great start this season.

Yesterday UCSB grad-transfer, Chris Clements, tossed a complete-game shutout and the Pilots finished off the four game sweep of Northern Colorado. Clements struck out 13 to claim his second consecutive complete-game win.

With the win, the Pilots extended their winning streak to six straight games, which is the longest stretch without a loss since 2012, and the Pilots' 13-4 record is the best start to a season since 2012 when Portland also won 13 of their first 17 games.

So far, five games at home with five wins....UP takes on Seattle U. at Etzel Field Wednesday at 3pm, and WCC play begins at USF on Friday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 pm

You got me. It is Spring Break, but my lack of contribution here is more due to my dissertation eating away at my life.

This non conference start has been quite inspiring. We can certainly hit the ball well. I’m unsure of how our opposition thus far stacks up other than Hawai’i and Oregon. The WCC schedule should be interesting. We will really see if there is large improvement in the program.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:The WCC schedule should be interesting. We will really see if there is large improvement in the program.

Early season RPI's should be taken with a big grain of salt, but as of right now we are second in the WCC with a 54 RPI. But this conference projections predicts a 13-14 WCC record and 6th place finish: http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/conf-prediction?conference=West-Coast

Would be really great to finish in the top four and make it to the conference tournament.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Early season RPI's should be taken with a big grain of salt, but as of right now we are second in the WCC with a 54 RPI. But this conference projections predicts a 13-14 WCC record and 6th place finish: http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/conf-prediction?conference=West-Coast

Would be really great to finish in the top four and make it to the conference tournament.
Looks like the rankings and predictions have been updated a bit...

Using the link provided, UP dropped to a #57 RPI, but they are predicted to have an 18-9 WCC record, finishing 2nd behind USD.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:Early season RPI's should be taken with a big grain of salt, but as of right now we are second in the WCC with a 54 RPI. But this conference projections predicts a 13-14 WCC record and 6th place finish: http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/conf-prediction?conference=West-Coast

Looks like the rankings and predictions have been updated a bit...

Using the link provided, UP dropped to a #57 RPI, but they are predicted to have an 18-9 WCC record, finishing 2nd behind USD.

Well hey, would you look at that! Amazing what one day of not playing anyone can do for your projected record! Wink

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Stonehouse wrote:

Well hey, would you look at that! Amazing what one day of not playing anyone can do for your projected record!  Wink

Sort of UP’s version of “Spahn and Sain and pray for rain”...

First we'll use Spahn
then we'll use Sain
Then an off day
followed by rain
Back will come Spahn
followed by Sain
And followed
we hope
by two days of rain.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm

The Pilots scored six runs over the final three innings today and won their seventh straight game with a 7-1 victory over the Seattle U Redhawks.

The win streak is the longest since 2010, and today's win improves Portland's record to 14-4, matching its second best start in program history....the 1958 team was 16-2  (just seven years after my great-grandpa graduated and headed off to Korea  Shocked ).

WCC play begins Friday at USF.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 pm

I've dropped the ball again, so here is what recap I can offer.

We dropped the series to USF losing two games by one run each and then beating the Dons 20-2 (!) in the other. You drop games sometimes, and this didn't really bother me.

However, the following weekend we got swept by BYU. Further, we only managed a single run in each game (still have not been shutout this season). I was not able to watch any of the series, but the 1-5 start to conference play is not comfortable. Both series (USF and BYU) were away from home.

The really crazy thing is that we just beat #8 Oregon State 5-1 over at the Hops stadium. College baseball sure is more fun than college basketball, isn't it?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 am

Last night's offensive explosion-fest against Seattle U had to be called early due to rain. The game will resume next Tuesday in Washington when we travel up there for a different matchup against the Redhawks.

The game will resume in the bottom of the 5th inning with the Pilots down 13-12.

In the meantime, the WCC home-opener is this weekend with a series against LMU at Joe Etzel Field.

Over on Reddit, some college baseball savy fans were remarking about how you cannot take the Pilots lightly (given our upsets of Oregon and Oregon State) and the topic of the stadium renovations came up. Lights have been a tremendous addition!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 am

I've got nothing regarding our conference season thus far and I haven't been able to watch.

What I will say is that I received a letter that said the stadium renovation will break ground this summer with some fancy new pictures! Good news.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:06 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:What I will say is that I received a letter that said the stadium renovation will break ground this summer with some fancy new pictures! Good news.
scratch A letter?  Like an in the mail, USPS letter?  Do you have pictures?  Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:08 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:What I will say is that I received a letter that said the stadium renovation will break ground this summer with some fancy new pictures! Good news.
scratch A letter?  Like an in the mail, USPS letter?  Do you have pictures?  Razz
Well, this has gone south in a hurry. 3-15 in the WCC. Some crazy scores out there, scored 20 runs in 2 of the 3 wins. Didn't see this bad of a WCC record for sure. Been to a couple games, still blown away how bad the ball/strike calls are in college.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu May 09, 2019 4:47 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Yes. My apologies on taking so long... You all already know why.

Potato quality is due to the fact that I had to scan the letter and then zoom in on the pictures. I am guessing that if they sent me a letter, that they do not care about these being shared.

In hindsight, they are not terribly different images than the previous renderings. I do want to correct my previous statement to say that they are only "on track to break ground this summer." This new phase will include: new stadium seating, new concessions, installing restrooms at the stadium (no more porta-johns or Chiles bathrooms), and expanded dugout and press box spaces.
Baseball 2019 Joeetz11
Baseball 2019 Joeetz10

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:

Yes. My apologies on taking so long... You all already know why.

Potato quality is due to the fact that I had to scan the letter and then zoom in on the pictures. I am guessing that if they sent me a letter, that they do not care about these being shared.

In hindsight, they are not terribly different images than the previous renderings. I do want to correct my previous statement to say that they are only "on track to break ground this summer." This new phase will include: new stadium seating, new concessions, installing restrooms at the stadium (no more porta-johns or Chiles bathrooms), and expanded dugout and press box spaces.
Baseball 2019 Joeetz11
Baseball 2019 Joeetz10

I am not seeing the spuds? Are they russets or Yukon golds? tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 pm

up7587 wrote:I am not seeing the spuds? Are they russets or Yukon golds?  tongue
Give him a break, he'd just read the posts about Shaver transferring to Boise State... Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down