Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USF Notes

+6
Sound Voltex
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

USF Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: USF Notes

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Well, if he is a Senior and gets a degree, he doesn't need a waiver.

He is automatically eligible to play where he is doing his postgraduate studies.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:36 pm

This was his fourth season of play. Presumably his eligibility would be exhausted; he appeared in 4 games. He doesn't appear to have redshirted, so he can ask for this to be a redshirt year. Then he can transfer as a graduate student to an institution that offers a degree program USF does not offer. I assume the redshirt year approval is not an automatic thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:46 pm

up7587 wrote:This was his fourth season of play. Presumably his eligibility would be exhausted; he appeared in 4 games.  He doesn't appear to have redshirted, so he can ask for this to be a redshirt year. Then he can transfer as a graduate student to an institution that offers a degree program USF does not offer. I assume the redshirt year approval is not an automatic thing?

He can only apply for a hardship redshirt :

If he was injured in the first half of the season and was not able to play...
If he played in less than 30% of scheduled games...
If a doctor will certify that he was not able to return due to that injury.

Given that the criteria are stated in the manual as necessary and sufficient, a refusal of another year would be unlikely.

If the hardship he claims is other than Injury related, a waiver would be much more problematic.

The  graduate work issue is no problem. I'm pretty sure USF, like UP,  doesn't offer the car sales degree Greg Anthony majored in.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:47 am

Some insider (former) views on Rex: is-university-san-franciscos-successful-hoops-season-masking?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 am

From the article:
Doolin is the 21st scholarship player to leave the school before his basketball eligibility expired since Walters was hired on April 7, 2008. In just the past 23 months, 11 players -- all recruited by Walters -- transferred, quit or were dismissed. Six of them left on the same day.

The stream of departures is not restricted to players. Six assistant coaches have left Walters' staff.
The WCC Coach of the Year selection comes out later today....it will be interesting to note the criteria for the award if it were to go to Coach Walters.  

It has been said in this forum that it is "all about wins and losses."  I’d prefer to think that is not the case, but if it is, I hope the award comes to Coach Reveno one day.....after doing it the "right way."  Not by running guys off to be replaced by better players, but by developing the players he has and creating a TEAM that is prepared for life beyond college.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11262
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

Oh, and if I had a vote for COY, it would go to Marty Wilson at Pepperdine or Bill Grier at San Diego....guys who do it the "right way" despite some adversity.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The WCC Coach of the Year selection comes out later today....it will be interesting to note the criteria for the award if it were to go to Coach Walters.  

It has been said in this forum that it is "all about wins and losses."  I’d prefer to think that is not the case, but if it is, I hope the award comes to Coach Reveno one day.....after doing it the "right way."  Not by running guys off to be replaced by better players, but by developing the players he has and creating a TEAM that is prepared for life beyond college.
And the winner is......Rex Walters!  Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:04 pm

Well, that just puts a cherry on a pile of cr@p.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Karma will eventually catch up, right?!  Neutral 

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:The WCC Coach of the Year selection comes out later today....it will be interesting to note the criteria for the award if it were to go to Coach Walters.  

And the winner is......Rex Walters!  Rolling Eyes

I have to assume this a ploy by the other coaches to keep him around another year just to watch the implosion.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm

Could it implode more than it already has??

All this off-court crap notwithstanding, USF was the most improved team in a conference that was greatly improved. 7 wins last year to 13 this year. I can assure you I am no Rex Walters fan (is anyone?) but I'll bet he was pretty close to a unanimous selection for this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:04 pm

USF loses to BYU in OT, 79-77, in the semi game in Vegas. They were only 12-19 from the FT line in that game. Guess Rex didn't need his career 79% FT shooter on the team, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:41 pm

@GottliebShow wrote:Instead of OT, Rex Walters will gather the teams at mid court and make the teams fight to the death…#CodyDoolin

Okay, that's just really good stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 am

I gotta say, regardless of their coach, I was really pulling for the Don's to upset BYU last night....very good game!!

GU is lucky they had their tough game on Saturday....they should be the more rested of the two teams for tonight's final.

ESPN was again commenting on how well Coach Walters was "adjusting" to the changing personnel at USF...... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I gotta say, regardless of their coach, I was really pulling for the Don's to upset BYU last night....very good game!!

I was very conflicted about that game. With Carlino and Mika, BYU is not a very likable team. But I just couldn't root for Rex's team, either.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:06 am

up7587 wrote:.....With Carlino and Mika, BYU is not a very likable team......
And Hawes; his seeming sense of entitlement (and his whining) goes well beyond that of the average D-1 player.

study  Joseph Smith taught: ……. “you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves”……I’m just guessing this is where much of the “ATTITUDE” we see comes from.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:19 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:.....With Carlino and Mika, BYU is not a very likable team......
And Hawes; his seeming sense of entitlement (and his whining) goes well beyond that of the average D-1 player.

study  Joseph Smith taught: ……. “you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves”……I’m just guessing this is where much of the “ATTITUDE” we see comes from.

Also the BYU fans who think they're above this conference (and the feeling is mutual here; just jump to the Big 12 or Big 10 already.  Rolling Eyes ).
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:40 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: study  Joseph Smith taught: ……. “you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves”……I’m just guessing this is where much of the “ATTITUDE” we see comes from.

You're right, what a terrible attitude. No wonder he really never panned out in the NBA after going #1 to Golden State.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 pm

OK, that made me laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:02 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:You're right, what a terrible attitude. No wonder he really never panned out in the NBA after going #1 to Golden State.
Hmm, well as your Joseph Smith was a Terrapin.....and a Warrior, a 76er (twice), a Timberwolve, a Piston, a Nugget, a Bull, a Cavalier (twice), a Thunder, a Hawk,a Net, and a Laker......the Joseph Smith I was referring to was considered a Prophet, by some.

And while Joe Smith, the basketball player, played 15 years in the NBA, the other Smith only lasted 14 years after publishing the Book of Mormon before he was killed by a mob that stormed the jailhouse in which he had been imprisoned.

There is no written evidence to indicate which Smith could jump higher or rebound better......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Again.....another transfer from USF is reported, and this time it is one of my favorite players, Avry Holmes the PG from Salem UP once recruited.

I hope Avry finds what he's looking for at the D-1 level on a good team with a good coach.  I think he'll have two years of eligibility.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 04, 2014 11:05 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Again.....another transfer from USF is reported, and this time it is one of my favorite players, Avry Holmes the PG from Salem UP once recruited.
Holmes is headed far from home to the ACC and a very good Clemson team.

After redshirting a year, Avry could be the Tiger's starting PG for the two following years.....congratulations to Avry for what would appear to be a very smart decision.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:50 pm

OK, I have to quit looking at team rosters.....

After finding the BYU roster includes 18 players, I found the USF roster has 17 players, including 5 seniors, 2 of whom actually began at USF under Coach Walters.

http://www.usfdons.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm

This is just a rumor at this stage, but there has been talk that USF's best, and my favorite player, 6-9 center Mark Tollefsen may be leaving the team.

As I recall, Tollefsen used a redshirt year and will graduate this May with a year of eligibility remaining.  

He could be looking for a graduate year somewhere in a program that USF doesn't offer. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 pm

What, leaving the paradise that is playing for Rex? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next