Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USF Notes

+6
Sound Voltex
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

USF Notes Empty USF Notes

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 pm

We know that our friend Zack Farmer picked UP to finish 8th (ahead of Pepperdine) in the WCC, but he states that spots 4-7 are up for grabs with no particular order of finish.

Just because he has to make a prediction, he puts USF one ahead of UP at #7.

Outlook
USF has quite a bit to overcome. There is only one returning starter (Cody Doolin) and only one other who received consistent minutes (Cole Dickerson). Head coach Rex Walters brought in a ton of talent and Doolin is already impressed with their ability to shoot.

“I think we can really shoot the ball,” Doolin said. “I think our outside shooting is going to be improved. In our conference, that’s pretty important. They’re ability to shoot the ball and how together we’re playing is definitely something to look forward to for us.”

Backcourt
The San Francisco backcourt got a huge boost with the news of UCLA transfer De’End Parker being eligible to play this season. It will be a backcourt that will be incredibly physical.

“I think it’s going to help a lot,” Doolin said of having Parker eligible. “He’s got size for his position. He’s got length. He can defend. He’s athletic. He can shoot. He’s just a good player.”

Parker, a San Francisco native who went to Lincoln High School, only played two games at UCLA before returning home to tend to his ailing mother. He also played for City College of San Francisco and helped led them to a state championship, while averaging 12 points, six rebounds, and five assists.

Doolin, who was named to the All-WCC Tournament Team last season, now steps in as one of the leaders of a now youthful USF team. His toughness and grit served him well while sharing a backcourt with Rashad Green and Mike Williams the last two seasons. Now with the two gone, it is his team to lead.

Leadership is easier when there are guys who can shoot and, as stated earlier, Doolin sees that in some of the new players.

Freshmen Tim Derksen, who was the Gatorade Arizona Basketball Player of the Year last season, should play a bunch of minutes early after averaging more than 22 points and 11 rebounds per game. Joe Edmonds was one of the better players in the state of Oklahoma and also figures to see minutes.

But let’s not forget about Dominique O’Connor. The diminutive guard started to gain some momentum and playing time right as he fell victim to a season-ending injury.

Frontcourt
Cole Dickerson is the lone returner on the frontline and much will be placed on his shoulders. He was the first man off the bench to replace Angelo Caloiaro last season and made his one and only start his career in the CBI First Round game against Washington State.

Dickerson was a stat sheet filler. In only 18 minutes per game, he averaged seven points and four rebounds. He also shot 58 percent from the field and 40 percent from three.

There are only five frontcourt players listed on the USF roster and three of them are freshmen. Matt Christiansen and Tao Xu will likely get minutes early in the season. Xu, a 6-foot-11 center, played for the Chinese U-19 World Championships team.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

USF Notes Empty Re: USF Notes

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm glad they found a really unbiased analyst in Mr. Doolin. Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 pm

SF friend tells me USF has received a commitment from JUCO (Midland College) guard Corey Hilliard who once play at Nebraska before being dismissed due to theft charges.

I am not sure that the Dons are lacking depth at the point.....Doolin, Holmes, Edmonds, and now Hiliard…..is someone leaving?

UP recruited Avery Holmes, and he proved to be a terrific player….it would be a big loss to USF if he was to leave after being pushed aside, but leaving USF is an annual event. Last year they stockpiled a number of new players before finally announcing who was leaving about a month later….a very strange system at USF….but face it, there’s also a very strange coach at USF.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 05, 2013 10:05 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:SF friend tells me USF has received a commitment from JUCO (Midland College) guard Corey Hilliard who once play at Nebraska before being dismissed due to theft charges.

I am not sure that the Dons are lacking depth at the point.....Doolin, Holmes, Edmonds, and now Hiliard…..is someone leaving?
Yup, it's 6'5" RS-Fr Guard Joe Edmonds from Oklahoma City.

Oh, and backup forward Frank Rogers is also leaving. Frank was a first year sohomore, and like Jake Ehlers at UP, was expected to eventually step into a primary role at USF.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05, 2013 11:19 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Last year they stockpiled a number of new players before finally announcing who was leaving about a month later….a very strange system at USF….but face it, there’s also a very strange coach at USF.
..who just landed a pretty good recruit in Jared Stutzman. I wouldn't have guessed that Stutzman was going to end up at USF, that's for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 pm

This just in…..USF has released De'End Parker due to conduct detrimental to the program.

Parker has been at three schools in three years.

Loss of Edmonds and Rogers will be more easily overcome by inbound players, but Parker is a bigger blow to USF..... there'll be some added pressure on Tim Derksen to raise his game this coming season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Is this de'end for Parker? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Hmm, don't know if this had anything to do with Parker's release, but he posted this picture on his twitter account last month. Perception, if nothing else.....

USF Notes Parker10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm

up7587 wrote:Is this de'end for Parker? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Razz Um, not necessarily....he's still got a year left, and you know some school will take him.

So to summarize the offseason at USF to this point: Four players, including one starter, will not be returning to the USF basketball team next season.

Junior guard De'End Parker has been dismissed for "conduct detrimental to the program" after only one season with the Dons. Parker, who transferred to USF from UCLA, averaged 11.7 points and 3.0 rebounds in 29 games.

Reserve center Frank Rogers and guard Joe Edmonds will also leave USF after one season. Rodgers had transferred to USF from Cabrillo College. Edmonds, right out of high school, did not play his freshman season.

Dominique O'Connor, who has missed parts of three seasons due to multiple knee injuries, will retire from basketball but will remain at the school to complete his undergraduate degree.

The Dons had five players transfer last season, including starters Perris Blackwell and Mikey Williams.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 26, 2013 9:13 pm

SMU wing Uche Ofoegbu must have enjoyed his trip to the Bay Area for the Cable Car Classic last December; the 6-5 sophomore is transferring to USF and will sit out next year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26, 2013 9:26 pm

How does Rex keep track of his scholarships? Some complex math going on at USF.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 26, 2013 10:30 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:How does Rex keep track of his scholarships? Some complex math going on at USF.
Ha-ha, yea, it’s been difficult to keep track of whick players are still on the roster and who has departed with the revolving door policy at USF….but I believe Rex is out of scholarships for this coming year.

In fact, I don’t believe he’s signed a single freshman for next year even though he’s got at least five offers on the table to high school seniors.

It would appear USF has decided to go with junior college transfers to join the four seniors left that include Cody Doolin and Cole Dickerson.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Rolling Eyes Again, I’m not sure how they do it at USF, but it would appear that with 14 scholarships already spoken for (13 is the limit), USF will be getting DePaul transfer Derrell Robertson….he’ll have to sit a year.

Robertson is a 6-10/250 center and will have two years of eligibility.

As we’ve learned, it would not be unusual for Rex to announce acquisitions before we hear about players leaving.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Oh, and backup forward Frank Rogers is also leaving.  Frank was a first year sohomore, and like Jake Ehlers at UP, was expected to eventually step into a primary role at USF.
UP will get a chance to see Frank again next year at San Jose St. as it was announced yesterday that he's enrolled there and will sit a year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:27 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:How does Rex keep track of his scholarships? Some complex math going on at USF.
My guy in SF tells me that former Portland Lincoln HS guard Gavin Hoffman will help USF get down to 13 scholarshps by giving up his scholarsip for his sophomore year, and will "walk-on."

Hmmm, I guess that's one way to do it!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:58 pm

I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Rex: Hey Gavin, whats happening? Can I just say how much I love having you as a part of this team you mean so much to the university and you really seem to love it here.

Gavin: Yeah coach, I really love what we have here. A great family feeling, and I have made the best of friends here on the Hilltop

Rex: I'm so glad to hear that... Because if you want to stay a part of the family and be with your friends you are going to have to start paying to do it. And you're going to have to start coming to work on Saturdays too. Ok. That would be great. Oh and did you get the memo on TPS reports?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:16 am

Unverified, but I'm told PG Dominique O'Connor, who earlier "retired" due to injuries, but would retain his scholarship, has now "left the team due to personal reasons."

USF is now at 13 scholarships!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:37 pm

what do you want to bet the university found a special needs scholarship?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Unverified, but I'm told PG Dominique O'Connor, who earlier "retired" due to injuries, but would retain his scholarship, has now "left the team due to personal reasons."

USF is now at 13 scholarships!
Hmm, well I guess this is better....according to USF, Mr. O'Connor attended summer school and graduated!! Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am

Rebel.net reported that USF's Cody Doolan is transferring to UNLV and will apply to the NCAA for a waiver so he can play next year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:25 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Rebel.net reported that USF's Cody Doolan is transferring to UNLV and will apply to the NCAA for a waiver so he can play next year.
Good for Cody, if it's true....but I hope he gets his degree from USF first.  Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:32 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:Rebel.net reported that USF's Cody Doolan is transferring to UNLV and will apply to the NCAA for a waiver so he can play next year.
Good for Cody, if it's true....but I hope he gets his degree from USF first.  Rolling Eyes

Sounds like he'll be skipping the USF Senior Night ceremonies.  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:42 pm

up7587 wrote:Sounds like he'll be skipping the USF Senior Night ceremonies.  Rolling Eyes
And speaking of senior night.....I watched GU's final home game last week, and who should show up to join his recruiting class on their senior night....Kelly Olynyk!

The evening is always done well with the seniors coming down the stairs amongst the cheering fans....but having Olynyk on hand during the NBA All-Star break was a very nice touch for everyone.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Did we the same thing with Greg Anthony? Wink

As to Cody, he's not a Senior, is he?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Did we the same thing with Greg Anthony? Wink

As to Cody, he's not a Senior, is he?

Yes, he is, according to their roster on ESPN.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next