Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU Notes

+7
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Dean Murdoch
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BYU Notes Empty BYU Notes

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:42 am

From Andy Katz at ESPN.com:
BYU is still a serious contender for the No. 1 player in the country in Jabari Parker. How so? Parker made an unofficial visit to Provo on Thursday and met with coach Dave Rose, according to multiple sources. Parker, who is Mormon, has made multiple unofficial visits to various schools. The 6-foot-8 forward out of Simeon High in Chicago has a laundry list of program that would take him in a second: BYU, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina and Stanford. But getting Parker on campus for the Cougars is still a major coup. The Cougars have quite a weekend ahead after the football team blasted Washington State in its home opener Thursday: Point guard Nick Emery and center Eric Mika, committed 2013 top-100 players out of Highland (Utah) Lone Peak High, are making official visits
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

BYU Notes Empty Re: BYU Notes

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:15 pm

New-look BYU ready to make noise in WCC

BYU actually lost three times at home -- to Baylor, Saint Mary's and Gonzaga -- but split the road games against the latter two. Dropping a home game to Loyola Marymount 82-68 on Jan. 19 was a stunner but also showed the depth of the conference…..

"The most important thing is for our guys to have a sense of urgency,'' said Rose. "We need to improve and to get better talent. The bottom line is that there are more good teams at the top [in the WCC]. The fact that Gonzaga won this thing for 11 straight years is amazing (before Saint Mary's snapped the streak in '12).''
The rest of the article from Andy Katz at ESPN here: BYU
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Katz messed up the results... (you can tell he struggled with that part based on how he clumsily phrased it). BYU lost at home to Baylor, LMU & SMC. BYU beat Gonzaga in Provo, 83-73.

LINK

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:51 pm

PilotNut wrote:Katz messed up the results... (you can tell he struggled with that part based on how he clumsily phrased it). BYU lost at home to Baylor, LMU & SMC. BYU beat Gonzaga in Provo, 83-73.

LINK
Haha, yea, as you said "clumsily" wrote it. Can we ever believe a blogger again? Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am

Had Harrison been able to begin his mission this fall as he originally planned, he likely would have resumed his basketball career at BYU when he returned. Instead the church decided last month he needed to delay his mission a full year, sending him scrambling to find a way to avoid putting his education and basketball career on hold.
Some may remember Damarcus Harrison’s huge role in helping BYU come from behind to beat Iona in the NCAA first round. Now there’s interesting twist in the life of this fine young man and basketball player involving BYU, the Mormon Church, and Clemson. From Yahoo Sports:

BYU
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:53 am

I assume Zack Farmer will join most everyone in picking GU to finish first in the WCC, so I was curious to see who he’d pick to come in second this year.

Well, as it turns out, it’s SMC….because here’s his review of BYU, picked to finish third.
Expectations remain high in Provo and they should be. Despite the loss of some key players, BYU remains one of the best teams in the WCC and should contend for the regular season championship.

They may have the best NBA prospect in the conference in Brandon Davies. They have one of the more electric guards in WCC in Matt Carlino. And they sure have one of the best coaches in Dave Rose.

This is a team that has won at least 25 games every year for the last six years. Let’s see if it could happen again.

Outlook
No Noah Hartsock. No Charles Abouo. There is going to be a transition, especially in the frontcourt for the Cougars but this is not to say they do not return a ton of talent.

BYU should be a better shooting team than they were a year ago and cause a number of mismatches in the backcourt. They return three starters and look to extend their NCAA Tournament appearance streak to seven, a streak that was nearly broken a year ago after being selected as a 14-seed.

“I think all of us have an urgency to step up and do a little better this year than we did last year,” BYU guard Brock Zylstra said. “It goes with me, goes with all the wings, goes with Brandon as well. It’s something we all feel. I’m really excited about this year’s team”

Backcourt
The backcourt really struggled last season due to its inexperience. But now they return a ton of talent and all of it with experience. Matt Carlino returns for his sophomore season. Zylstra is back. The most important addition is the return of Tyler Haws, who is back from his mission the last two years.

BYU was seventh in the WCC in three-point shooting at 34 percent. Haws in his one season two years ago shot 36 percent from three and others have made improvements as well.

“We’ve got a lot better, I think, shooting the ball this offseason,” Carlino said. “Obviously, I can shoot the ball but I’m going to be a playmaker for the team. There are going to be so many options, they all have to collapse. There are so many guys on our team that can flat out stroke it.”

Frontcourt
Even though the shooting looks to be improved, even the guards know the success of this team comes from the inside. More specifically, it starts with Brandon Davies.

“I think our offense is directly focused on the inside guys, Brandon and Nate [Austin],” Zylstra said. “But the good thing about that it gives open shots for the outside guys, the wings. Every game Brandon’s probably going to get double teamed… Two guys guarding him, somebody will be open.”

Davies is the best post player in the WCC and that is on the defensive and offensive side. The 6-foot-9 senior has seen his stats improve incrementally every season with it peaking last year by averaging 15 points and nearly eight rebounds per game.

Austin will have some big shoes to fill with Hartsock now graduated. The 6-foot-11 center was productive in his limited time last season. He averaged a mere 12 minutes per game but was able to collect four points and three rebounds per contest.

Notes
BYU was also hoping to have a bit more depth than they will have this year, but both Chris Collinsworth and Stephen Rogers have both called it a career after suffering setbacks with their recoveries from injury.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 pm

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/8667156/brigham-young-cougars-fans-print-6300-t-shirts-recruit-jabari-parker

Just a thought. I feel that Parker might want something a little more than just Sweet Sixteens...

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:15 am

Jabari Parker, the No. 2 recruit in the nation in the ESPN 100, has committed to the Duke Blue Devils. Parker, a 6'8" forward, is a top-flight NBA prospect, but has said he is considering staying at Duke for more than the required single year before turning pro. Will he be in more than one March Madness as a Blue Devil?

Parker, who is Mormon, had openly talked about BYU being a “wonderful fit,” and a school his mom was in favor of.

Coach K. beats mom….I’m sure that will be the headline on some websites. Laughing
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 am

Im sure the Bishops haven't talked to him yet.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:28 am

Mormon Church's New Young Missionary Rule Has Far Reaching Effects For College Athletes....
The change in the minimum age, the first since 1960, already has sent ripples across Mormon culture, affecting college enrollments, and likely how young people date, marry and start families. The effects are most evident in Utah, where 1.9 million Mormons live and the home of the church's worldwide headquarters.

It completely alters the landscape for Mormon college athletes, giving them another option as they consider their own physical and mental maturity and try to optimize playing time......
Read more here: Huff Post
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Although I have yet to see it in writing, I’m told BYU 6’11” center Ian Harward is done playing basketball after a redshirt year and a freshman year due to chronic bad knees.

Tough on any young player, but I can’t feel too sorry for a BYU team that has recruits lining up to play in Provo. It’s really difficult to tell who new will show up next year because of the many recruits on their missions, but it would appear they have two 4 stars and two 3 stars on campus in the fall, including a 4 star center to replace Harward.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Apparently guard Chase Fischer, a transfer from Wake Forest has landed at BYU. Fischer was once a highly sought after prep player in West Virginia, but saw limited action (about 16 mpg) at Wake.

Fischer will sit one year and have two years eligibility.

At the same time BYU was picking up Fischer, they also got a written commitment from SG Frank Bartley out of Baton Rouge….

As I recall, BYU will have only one senior this year after the transfer of Raul Delgado.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

As I recall, BYU will have only one senior this year after the transfer of Raul Delgado.

Well, OK.

But the Juniors are probably all 25 years old.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I see Agustin Abrosino, BYU’s 6-8 225 Senior Forward has left the team. Abrosino, from Argentina, played one year at Gulf Coast St, one year at Salt Lake CC, and one year at BYU.

Ambrosino joins Raul Delgado (Metro State) and Ian Harward (retired, injury) as BYU players who have left program since season ended.

BYU no longer has any members of the Senior Class on its roster.... Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:37 am

Somehow I missed this from about 3 weeks ago....Frank Bartley a 6-4/205 combo guard from Baton Rouge signed a LOI with BYU.

Again, it's really difficult to understand the status of scholarships at BYU because of the LDS missions, but I count 15 student/athletes now on rides at BYU, including 6 freshmen and zero seniors....and there are at least 2 walk-ons.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:45 am

While the Princeton Review may have rated BYU as the "Top Stone-Cold Sober School" in America......the boys are still able to rev it up for the 2014 BYU Football EPIC LIP SYNC Battle.....you may want to turn the speakers way up (or not),
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:39 pm

As UP plays BYU during the first weekend of the WCC season (well, actually the game is on Monday), I thought I'd check the BYU roster just to see who the Pilots would be up against.....turns out they're facing a team with 18 players on the roster, including 6 freshmen and 5 seniors.

It's bad enough for the "flatlanders" to have to play at altitude in Provo, but if BYU has the capability of subbing in 13 players off the bench it will definitely be a game of attrition.

(Somewhere on PN we've already discussed how all the BYU students are essentially on scholarship funded by the members of the LDS Church.)

http://byucougars.com/roster/m-basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Hmmm... maybe a few PN fans could suit up for that game? I mean if nothing else, I can foul really well!  Basketball 

Does the NCAA or WCC limit the number of players that can actually suit up for a game? I would think that there is a limit to the number that can travel to an away game (although I suppose a school could foot the bill to send extras)....

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:55 pm

PilotNut wrote:  I mean if nothing else, I can foul really well!   Basketball 

Really well means you can take somebody out with each foul.

Sure hope you don't mean you could bring them down to the scholarship level. Faint 
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 pm

I did find a squad size level in the NCAA manual
“17.2.8.3 Varsity Squad Size Limitation—Championship Segment. An institution shall declare a varsity squad of a maximum of 35 student-athletes by the day prior to its first scheduled contest in the championship segment of the playing and practice season. Only those student-athletes who are declared as varsity squad members at that time shall be eligible to participate in countable athletically related activities with the varsity squad during the remainder of the championship segment. Declared varsity squad members shall not participate in countable athletically related activities with an institution’s subvarsity team (e.g., freshman, junior varsity). A student-athlete who is a counter (per Bylaw 15.5.1) must be included in the varsity squad limit. (Adopted: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/08, Revised: 10/22/07)”

Excerpt From: NCAA. “2013-14 Division I Manual.” iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Some conferences do limit how many players may suit up for a conference game. In the SEC, for example, the limit is 15.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:28 pm

From BYU:
PROVO, Utah – BYU coach Dave Rose announced today that guard Frank Bartley IV and forward Isaac Neilson will transfer from the program.

Bartley, a 6-3 sophomore from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, played two seasons for the Cougars. As a freshman, he averaged 3.9 points and 2.1 rebounds. In 33 games this past season, Bartley posted averages of 2.5 points and 1.8 rebounds and assisted on 39 baskets.

Neilson, a 6-10 freshman from Mission Viejo, California, appeared in 34 games in 2014-15 and made five starts. He averaged 3.1 points, 2.4 rebounds and blocked 10 shots.

“I appreciate all the contributions Frank and Isaac made to our program,” Rose said. “We wish them both the very best going forward.”
BYU's "official" roster included the names of 18 players at the end of the season.  Hard to say if Bartley and Neilson were on athletic, academic, or "other" scholarships, but their departure, and the departures of the seniors leaves at least 11 remaining on the roster.....not including those who are on their LDS mission or will return from their mission this coming season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:26 pm

@GoodmanESPN wrote:BYU transfer Jake Toolson told ESPN he will play for Mark Pope at Utah Valley.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:13 am

up7587 wrote:
@GoodmanESPN wrote:BYU transfer Jake Toolson told ESPN he will play for Mark Pope at Utah Valley.
From what I was told the move was merely because of lack of playing time at BYU.

Toolson is another of those highly rated high school kids out of Gilbert, Arizona that has a strong LDS community.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:17 pm

One of the nicest young men I've met, Jordan Chapman, has decided transfer from BYU.

A native of Vancouver, Washington, Jordan completed his two year mission in Taipei then redshirted a year at BYU before finally seeing some court action last year as a point guard.

The thing is, in those two years, and I'm guessing he got some schooling on his mission, he's earned his degree in Asian Studies at BYU and has been accepted into law school.

It's an unusual situation....with three years of eligibility left, but with his degree in hand, maybe he should just consider transferring to UP and not worry about losing a year of eligibility.....just saying.   Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Jordan Chapman, after receiving offers from 10 different schools, has decided to transfer to Boston College.

A college graduate with three years of eligibility, I'm told Chapman will attend graduate school first and then enter Boston College Law School.

...hmm, have to wonder if this is a first for a D1 basketball player.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next