Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU Notes

+7
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Dean Murdoch
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BYU Notes - Page 3 Empty Re: BYU Notes

Post by StudentPilot Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:56 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:I forgot to mention that I believe the case for Gonzaga to the Big East gets better every day for them. Regionality seems to be fading away. Perhaps the money is better for them in the Big East even considering the travel? But, could they survive not being champions very single year? Probably.
Including MBB, GU has 16 teams...it would seem pretty disruptive for the vast majority of GU's student-athletes to often travel across America to play half their games.  

MBB travels via chartered jets...the other teams would likely have to connect through Seattle or Denver to get where they are going.

Yes, the students can stay up-to-date in their classes via the internet, but there is nothing like being in the classroom when it comes to interacting and learning...I found that out last year.

Half of the MBB team may have professional basketball careers waiting for them...the other students will have to earn a living off their college degree(s).
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:28 pm

My pick to replace BYU is “nobody” - keep the WCC at 9 teams.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:43 am

It’s official.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/10/22665870/byu-cougars-are-officially-headed-to-the-big-12-conference

One more year in the WCC.
It saves them a million in exit fees.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:24 am

Geezaldinho wrote:It’s official.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/10/22665870/byu-cougars-are-officially-headed-to-the-big-12-conference

One more year in the WCC.
It saves them a million in exit fees.
Well, this coming year and one more after that.

The article states:  "The school said it will start participating in the conference in the 2023-24 school year."

The WCC has to hope the BYU MBB team will go to the Tournament twice during that time, which it likely will, because just their one-and-done Tournament appearance this past March generated $1.68 million for the WCC in NCAA units alone...with no fans.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:27 am

Arent the NCAA payouts spread out over years?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:36 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Arent the NCAA payouts spread out over years?
Yes, they are...that is why I expressed the $1.68 million in units.

Someone can look it up, but I believe it is spread over a 6 year period, but don't you dare quote me... Laughing

Over the years, Portland has benefitted from GU, BYU, and SMC going to the Tournament...and then the WCC distributing the "units" to its schools on a percentage basis that is unknown to me.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:43 am

FloridaPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:I think it's really going to happen this time. Honestly I'm surprised BYU has stayed in the WCC for this long.
Face it, BYU has always been an outlier in the WCC.

Here's more:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2021/9/3/22655902/reports-byu-could-receive-big-12-invite-this-month-join-in-2022-ucf-cincinnati-houston

Begs the question... If (when) BYU leaves: who replaces them? The only two names I would respectfully add are Seattle and Denver. Grand Canyon is a definite no from me. Cal Baptist is another option, but one that I would not prefer either.

Personally, I'd love to see Seattle U come back home to the WCC. Natural rival, institutional fit, easy travel ... but I'm not sure GU would tolerate another conference team in a market that they very much consider their own.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 am

Rumors are Grand Canyon is being looked at, though I think Seattle and Denver are better fits.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:11 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:Personally, I'd love to see Seattle U come back home to the WCC.  Natural rival, institutional fit, easy travel ... but I'm not sure GU would tolerate another conference team in a market that they very much consider their own.
I am currently in agreement with Dean Murdoch, the WCC should remain at 9 schools, but yes, Seattle U. would be the likely choice if the WCC were to go back to 10.

Your argument for Seattle U. is a good one.  The downside at the moment is the apparent shambles the MBB and WBB programs are in.  With two years to get their stuff together and hire a new MBB coach, perhaps the natural Portland/Seattle/Spokane rivalry could commence (again.)

Agreed, Grand Canyon is a non-starter.  Except perhaps for basketball, the school seems to care more about money above all else.  The for-profit university does not fit in at all with the rest of the WCC academically, nor is it faith-based (unless you put your faith in $$$).  It is an enormous school with over 25,000 students on campus plus another 90,000+ online students. Statistically, only 61% of students remain at Grand Canyon after their freshman year and only 41% go on to graduate.

I do not know enough about Cal Baptist to comment, but like all the current WCC schools, they are faith-based with an undergraduate enrollment of over 8,000 with an additional 3,000, or so, grad students.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:24 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I do not know enough about Cal Baptist to comment, but like all the current WCC schools, they are faith-based with an undergraduate enrollment of over 8,000 with an additional 3,000, or so, grad students.

Will they play tournament games on Sunday?

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:33 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Agreed, Grand Canyon is a non-starter.  Except perhaps for basketball, the school seems to care more about money above all else.  The for-profit university does not fit in at all with the rest of the WCC academically, nor is it faith-based (unless you put your faith in $$$).  

From GCU's web site:
Since our founding in 1949, Grand Canyon University (GCU) has been a Christian college with a biblically rooted mission. Founded as a Baptist university, today GCU is an interdenominational university that welcomes students from all backgrounds. Throughout its rich history, GCU has remained a vibrant Christian university that is committed to distinctively Christian beliefs, values and practices in accord with its mission and vision.

I found this in Wiki re GCU, so it may not be accurate:
In 2018 the university received approval to return to non-profit status from its regional accreditor as well as the IRS and the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. However, the U.S. Department of Education rejected the university's request to reclassify it as a non-profit and continues to classify the university as for-profit.

Last edited by up7587 on Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added wiki comment)

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:09 pm

Haha, they've gone a long way from their faith-based Baptist roots, you can now buy shares in Grand Canyon stock on the Nasdaq.  Rolling Eyes
Mahatma Gandhi wrote:I consider Western Christianity in its practical working a negation of Christ's Christianity.
Yes, the university tried, and failed, to have it’s status changed from for-profit to non-profit. It didn’t happen, and now it is suing the U.S. Department of Education.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:18 am

From the Commissioner: "The WCC continues to attract interest in membership and will be deliberate and thorough in evaluating our best path forward to position the Conference for continued success. "

BYU Notes - Page 3 From_t10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:01 pm

In pointy ended football, BYU played in the Independence Bowl following a 10-2 regular season where they were the true winners of the Pac-12 South. In the bowl game they played Alabama . . . sorry I meant Alabama Birmingham. The Blazers jumped out to a 2 TD first quarter lead, and held on to win 31-28.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:45 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:Begs the question... If (when) BYU leaves: who replaces them? The only two names I would respectfully add are Seattle and Denver. Grand Canyon is a definite no from me. Cal Baptist is another option, but one that I would not prefer either.

Is anybody hearing anything about this? For reference, Seattle U. is 21-7 this year, with KenPom ranking #125.  GCU is 18-7 and #105.  Denver is 9-20 and #303.  CBU is 14-13 and #214, basically same as USD.  

Does this guy make sense? (Found on USF site)

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:22 am

Regarding replacements my opinion is Seattle or nobody. And in any case I think only the top 8 should be in the mbb commerce tournament. The 9 can stay home or 9 and 10. If they want to keep a 5 day tournament just have the 5 vs 8 game winner play the 6 vs 7 game winner and have the winner of that play the 4 vs 5. Then have a normal bracket where 1 plays whoever comes out of the 4-8 gauntlet and a 2 vs 3 game. This better protects the 3 seed by getting them a bye to the semi finals compared to the current format and seems more likely to result in additional tournament bids for a 3 on the bubble. Gonzaga still gets their bye to the semi finals to keep them happy.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:33 pm

In the NIT, Long Beach State went to Provo. LBSU won the Big West regular season, and lost the chance to go dancing in a 1 point loss to CSU Fullerton in the tourney final. They opened up a 5 point half time lead 46-41. But BYU must of had a heck of a halftime talk, as they outscored LBSU 52-26 in the 2nd half, winning 93-72.

Next they take on Northern Iowa, an upset winner over St. Louis.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:08 pm

In the NIT, after easily beating SCU then beating SMU, the WSU Cougars traveled to Provo to face BYU. They ended BYU's season handily, winning 77-58 and quieting the Marriott Center crowd.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:19 pm

I have yet to see anything in writing, but I have been told both Gideon George and Caleb Lohner will soon enter the transfer portal.

It's no wonder BYU has been recruiting so hard.

Lohner said he was going to test the NBA waters but remain college eligible.

Significant, if true...

UPDATE: Confirmed
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2022/4/18/23024199/byu-basketball-forward-caleb-lohner-gideon-george-enter-transfer-portal
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:14 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I have yet to see anything in writing, but I have been told both Gideon George and Caleb Lohner will soon enter the transfer portal.

Something (his draft potential?) changed Gideon George's mind, because he is now planning to play at BYU again next season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:25 pm

Another BYU big, Gavin Baxter (6'9", 228, 4*), a 2018 PF who was not a significant contributor, entered the portal a couple days ago.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:47 am

up7587 wrote:Another BYU big, Gavin Baxter (6'9", 228, 4*), a 2018 PF who was not a significant contributor, entered the portal a couple days ago.

Context from Will Maupin:
@willmaup wrote:Dude must really love the game. Three straight years of effectively or truly season ending injuries can’t stop him. Hope he is able to play a full, healthy season wherever he lands.

https://twitter.com/willmaup/status/1516537132193439745

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:32 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I have yet to see anything in writing, but I have been told both Gideon George and Caleb Lohner will soon enter the transfer portal.

It's no wonder BYU has been recruiting so hard.

Lohner said he was going to test the NBA waters but remain college eligible.

Significant, if true...

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2022/4/18/23024199/byu-basketball-forward-caleb-lohner-gideon-george-enter-transfer-portal

Lohner is transferring to Baylor, per Verbal Commits.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:56 pm

up7587 wrote:
up7587 wrote:Another BYU big, Gavin Baxter (6'9", 228, 4*), a 2018 PF who was not a significant contributor, entered the portal a couple days ago.

Context from Will Maupin:
@willmaup wrote:Dude must really love the game. Three straight years of effectively or truly season ending injuries can’t stop him. Hope he is able to play a full, healthy season wherever he lands.

https://twitter.com/willmaup/status/1516537132193439745

Baxter will play for Utah.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:29 pm

up7587 wrote:Baxter will play for Utah.
As a walk-on, I am told.