Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

+17
Rochin54
MJGoGaels
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
pilot_fan
mattywizz
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
Woodless!
MesaPilot1
onetouchfutbol
blacksheep
IBleedPurple&White
jake
PilotDrummer
DaTruRochin
PilotNut
21 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm - Page 3 Empty Re: The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

Post by Stonehouse Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Here are more video highlights... can't help but be amazed by how well Tim played!

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm - Page 3 Empty Re: The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

Post by Stonehouse Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm

PilotNut wrote:How awesome was it to have TJ participate in the time out dunk routine?! Cool

So, so, so awesome! And it was great to see all those former players back, including my namesake - the one and only Kyle Stonehouse!

I hope the video they put together honoring the 95-96 team gets posted up on YouTube - I'm sure it will.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Seeing all the old players brings back memories. I was there when Kasey Flicker hit that three!

Nem and Jasonn could be a great comedic duo. Laughing
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:Boom:

You just made Mesa very happy.

Thanks, Stoney

There has been a ? raised to me recently by one of the alums there at UP that I should not be commenting on UP and or its Basketball Team...I will let DTR, Pilotnut, RobsJacket decide this .....I want to put this wavier in here but believe that most of YOU guys already know this...I MesaPilot1 am not affiliatied in anyway with the University of Porland, Kramer Knutson,The Knutson Family when I post on this board, he is a distant blood relative by berth...I have posted on this board it as a fan of Eric Reveno head men basketball coach at the University of Portland and the basketball team...never having once pressing for more playing time for he or "get him the ball" dont throw it to Sikma....since the inception of this board I have never, ever provided inside information on the Pilots at real time except on the Chatroom when I have let the "cat out of the bag"....Apparently the NAZI type approach of a certain overjealous alum has been PM'ed to me recentlyand he believes I should change or leave...If you guys want me to be somebody I am not and post ...bland manterial...basically change my posting style....I will do that...but in return....I want to be awarded the title of "we used to let the guy say what he thought" under my Avatar....Thanks for reading...sorry to hijack the thread....

MesaPilot1 bounce bounce bounce

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Here are more video highlights... can't help but be amazed by how well Tim played!

I have another nickname for you Stoney...dont take it too seriously or the wrong way...but Timmy is "Little" Pooh version 2010-2014...lol

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Relax, Mesa, I've been a pilot fan for 18 years, was one of the original members of this forum, and I never took a class at UP. I take my rights here by having endured the bad years when I still rooted for the team and many alumni disappeared.

Just because you gave the school tuition money, it doesn't give you any special rights here.

Does this alumnus ever post anything interesting?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Does this alumnus ever post anything interesting?
Not many of my posts are interesting. Then again I actually encourage Mesa to speak his mind.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Relax, Mesa, I've been a pilot fan for 18 years, was one of the original members of this forum, and I never took a class at UP. I take my rights here by having endured the bad years when I still rooted for the team and many alumni disappeared.

Just because you gave the school tuition money, it doesn't give you any special rights here.

Yes, and thats whats so confounding....Nut has always _his fav job, Rolling Eyes _ my approval to remove any material he or the others that do in their free , unpaid, administration of the board to Edit/Remove something that is written that may be over the line, contrued as rasist, sexist, or just plain babblings from a "emotionally charged" Pilot fan....I'm relaxed now if you would stop being so mean to me, geez Razz . jk,lol.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Relax, Mesa, I've been a pilot fan for 18 years, was one of the original members of this forum, and I never took a class at UP. I take my rights here by having endured the bad years when I still rooted for the team and many alumni disappeared.

We're UP. We're not the Ducks, Huskies, Wildcats, or Trojans. Our fan support is still growing, and frankly if we had more students as enthused as you two, we'd be in great shape. I think it's cool that a non-student chose to endure 18 years of Portland sports. I think UP has had its ups and downs, but, there's almost always been something to latch on to whether it was men's soccer (the Keller years), the baseball team, women's soccer, cross country, or now men's basketball...

If you've been a fan long enough to endure a little bit of misery (like the Larry Steele years or later), you're one of us. One of my moments of last years' basketball season was finally meeting DTR, and hearing him call our 20-30 point loss to UW 'old school Pilots basketball.' To me that's what it means to be a fan...or one of us...to have some thick skin.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Would anyone care to describe their opinion on the students yesterday?

I couldn't tell what was going on up higher - was everyone involved? Was everyone standing? How might we improve further on Thursday?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Would anyone care to describe their opinion on the students yesterday?

I couldn't tell what was going on up higher - was everyone involved? Was everyone standing? How might we improve further on Thursday?

The student section was great. cheers Just need to keep it up. I'm not worried about the students getting up for the Zags. I worry more about non rival games.

Then again, I was never a UP student either, so how much credibility could I have Very Happy
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Would anyone care to describe their opinion on the students yesterday?

I was reading the SMC forum today. One poster said you guys were inventive and funny, especially mentioning the "you need Patty" cheer. ( and Pooh's "Nacho Night, St Mary's" broadcast")

You need fresh material for Thursday....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:16 pm

I was reading the SMC forum today. One poster said you guys were inventive and funny, especially mentioning the "you need Patty" cheer. ( and Pooh's "Nacho Night, St Mary's" broadcast)

You got complimented by the opposition.

You need fresh material for Thursday....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Well I'll address the current topic first...

I thought the student turnout was pretty damn good, and the effort was definitely strong.

I think the only problem is the section is still pretty green at "how" to cheer at a game. I noticed that y'all had trouble with transitioning cheers between defense and offense quickly got a little repetitive on rotating the cheers after fouls and on defense. One other thing, hahaha while I liked the "you need patty chant" and the "this is our house", the timing was pretty terrible. 15 minutes left in the game is a LOT of time (especially against a good team), it would have looked pretty silly if SMC had managed to come back... after those I got about 4-5 texts along the lines of "WAY too soon for that kind of chanting" from friends watching at home. That said, I think the effort was pretty damn good all things considered, keep up the good work!

Anyway as to the game:

It was a damn fun game to be at, and I'm glad I made the trip to Chiles this weekend! Just an overall great effort by the team, pretty much everyone who got in the game had good moments. I think Waterford is really excelling in the backup role, he made some good plays, and ran the offense well against the second team, that game should go a long way toward his confidence. I loved Tanner's confidence on offense and all out effort on defense, BUT he really needs to get over that tendency to dribble into the corner, even if he does like the baseline J, way too easy to get trapped. Kramer and Jasonn were absolute beast men down low, our effort on the glass and extending possessions with offensive rebounds was just awesome. Jared and Nem seem to have gotten their groove back, thank goodness! And Tim, oh wow, just fantastic, it's gonna be a treat to watch him develop. As far as defense, just a great effort, while the Gael's were shooting terribly, the effort to get a hand in the face definitely had an effect.

Snarky observations:

Randy Bennett is an angry little smurf, he could give Mark Few a run for his money in the riding the referee rodeo the coaches have at the end of the year...

That offensive foul call on Jared, you know, THAT one was just horrific. Dellavedova had a couple other reaches with a TON of contact that mysteriously went uncalled, I don't understand how that kid doesn't foul out more (I mean his defensive effort is commendable, but he definitely gets his shots in). We gained the benefit of the doubt on a few plays too, but over all I thought the officiating was decent, at least it didn't seem to interrupt the flow of the game!

The scoreboard is nice, but will the person hacking it please stop! Ctrl-Alt-Del in the middle of a big game is never a good thing Razz

Yay! We figured out how to press break, and finishing it with a dunk no less! Yay! Now about those in bound plays....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:17 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:.The scoreboard is nice, but will the person hacking it please stop! Ctrl-Alt-Del in the middle of a big game is never a good thing Razz

I wasn't going to say anything, but I could see the look of frustration on the faces of the guys in the booth. To make it worse, it seemed to always happen right after a big UP bucket, and the crowd wanted to see our points on the board.

I'm sure our crack scoreboard staff will have it fixed by Thursday Very Happy
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Thats what they get for trying to run the software on a Commodore64. Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:26 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Thats what they get for trying to run the software on a Commodore64. Very Happy

Not all of us have enough change in our sofas to buy iPads on a whim like you Geez. geek
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Not a whim. I NEEDED that thing...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Congrats to the Athletic Department & Marketing teams... the "It's Na-cho Night" theme was great... from the pre-game promos, the signs, the video board promos & audio... well done!

Having Pooh telling SMC it was "Na-cho night" was priceless! The Nem & Jasonn video was also great. I would love to see more videos like that...

Did anyone actually eat the nachos? were they as tastefully done? Question

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that! I was definitely a bit skeptical about the theme but it was really pulled off well. And getting Spoelstra and Pooh in on the bit really brought it to the next level. Just a really fun atmosphere, and I might add I was really impressed with the turnout from hoops alumni, to be in the same building as the real Kyle Stonehouse was unforgettable.

I SAW the nachos, they looked pretty tasty, but I had a dinner party right afterward and didn't want to spoil the appetite...

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless! Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 pm

I had the nachos, they were tasty...who knew a victory this sweet tastes like nachos and jaegerbombs? drunken
Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Woodless! wrote:who knew a victory this sweet tastes like nachos and jaegerbombs? drunken

Well usually I'd classify that combination high up in the hierarchy of "sounds like a great idea at the time" things to do, but I'm fairly certain winning is nature's Pepto Bismol so it's all good

cheers
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:I was really impressed with the turnout from hoops alumni, to be in the same building as the real Kyle Stonehouse was unforgettable.

I had mentioned how cool it was to see that video with guys like Flicker, Klosterman, Lemont Daniels, and a younger alum replied, "I don't know any of those guys."

Yeah well, I try to forget the rest of the Chavez era too.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Don't forget Chivo and Kwee...

Rob had a couple of really good years. Then there were the rest....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 pm

So, I was listening to sports radio today here in the Seattle area and one sports journalist, Bud Withers, called SMC's loss to us an example of "big win hangover" game...since SMC beat Gonzaga in Spokane before losing to us... Evil or Very Mad I just wrote the guy a letter and reminded him of our 60-33 advantage in the game among other things. Judging by the fact that we've beat them more than once recently (and I think they've been ranked around #20 both years), this was definitely not a hangover game.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next