Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

+17
Rochin54
MJGoGaels
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
pilot_fan
mattywizz
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
Woodless!
MesaPilot1
onetouchfutbol
blacksheep
IBleedPurple&White
jake
PilotDrummer
DaTruRochin
PilotNut
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm Empty The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 am

GO PILOTS!

Portland (15-6, 3-3 WCC) vs. #24 Saint Mary’s (18-3, 6-0)
January 29, 2011 • 4:00 PM • Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center - 4,852)
TV: ESPNU
Radio: 800 AM (KPDQ)
Live Audio/Stats: PortlandPilots.com
Series: SMC leads 51-28
Last Meeting: SMC 69, POR 55 (2010 WCC Tournament)

About #24 Saint Mary’s
• The Gaels are ranked No. 24 in the Coaches Poll this week and in first place in the WCC heading
into Thursday’s game at Gonzaga.
• SMC’s 11-game winning streak was snapped Saturday at Vanderbilt (89-70).
• The Gaels’ only other losses this season came against No. 4 San Diego State (69-55) and No. 9
BYU (74-73). Saint Mary’s best win came against St. John’s (76-71).
• The Gaels are ranked No. 8 nationally in scoring at 82.5 ppg.
• Head coach Randy Bennett returns All-WCC honorees Mickey McConnell and Matthew Dellavedova
from a squad that advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 last season.
• Bennett is in his 10th year overall and has led SMC to three NCAA Tournaments.

Everyone needs to bring their "A" game Saturday: the team, the fans, the students... Let's do this! We need Chiles Center to be rockin'!

Guarding McConnell is obviously key in this game, as he can nail shots from about anywhere inside half court... who guards him? Jared? Derrick?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm Empty Re: The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:22 am

KRAMER! That will throw them off Razz
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm Empty Re: The big one: #24 SMC @ Portland, Saturday 4pm

Post by PilotDrummer Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 am

Who did we put on McConnell in Vegas last year? Was it TJ?
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jake Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 pm

If we (Gonzaga) can't beat SMC, hopefully the Pilots can. I will be at the Chiles Center cheering on the Pilots. Would love to see the upset.

jake
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by IBleedPurple&White Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Regrettably, I haven't been to a game this year, and only made a couple last time around (after 2+ unbroken decades as season tix holders... But that's a story for another day). The ads for Saturday's "Nacho Night" have me scratching my purple-haired noggin: $3 beer & wine? When did they start serving alcohol at hoops games?

I realize the NCAA does not prohibit this, but I believe it is still officially discouraged... With good reason, IMHO.

IBleedPurple&White
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Location : Portland, OR... is there anywhere else that matters?
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 pm

They sell beer at all the pregame dinners (open to everyone) and at halftime (Pilot Club).

You will need to check with PilotNut, but I believe that beer drinking is officially encouraged by PilotNation Cheers!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:12 pm

I officially endorse the consumption of beer, by those of appropriate age. Very Happy (Do you really think DTR and I could do all this moderatin' without the requisite beverages?!)

The beer & wine are sold strictly at the pre-game meals and in the Pilot Club @ halftime--you can't take beer to your seats.... it is available only when in the designated area on the mezzanine.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Oregonian Preview

Pilots game day: Saint Mary's at Portland

What: Saint Mary's (18-3, 6-0 West Coast Conference) at Portland (15-6, 3-3)

When: 4 p.m. Saturday, Chiles Center, Portland.

Radio: KPDQ (800)

Probable starters: Saint Mary's -- F Rob Jones (14.0 ppg, 7.6 rpg), F Clint Steindl (8.1 ppg), F Tim Williams (6.5 ppg), G Matthew Dellavedova (13.2 ppg, 5.8 apg), G Mickey McConnell (15.1 ppg, 6.4 apg); Portland -- F Luke Sikma (14.0 ppg, 10.8 rpg), C Kramer Knutson (7.5 ppg, 5.4 rpg), G Nemanja Mitrovic (12.7 ppg), G Jared Stohl (13.6 ppg, 1.9 apg), G Tim Douglas (7.0 ppg, 2.2 apg)

Noteworthy: Can the Pilots close out the first half of the conference schedule by becoming the first WCC team to knock off Saint Mary's? Or will the Gaels of Moraga, Calif., snap a two-game losing streak at the Chiles Center and maintain their stranglehold on first place? "Saint Mary's is tough, because they do a great job of spreading the floor with some really skilled basketball players," Pilots coach Eric Reveno said. "They do a good job of sharing the ball and playing slow, and I mean 'slow' in the sense that you can't speed them up, because if you get too aggressive, they can really pick you apart."

Mickey McConnell scored the game-winning basket with one second remaining to lift the Gaels to a 73-71 victory Thursday over Gonzaga in Spokane. It was the first time since 1995 that Saint Mary's had beaten the Bulldogs in Spokane. "I just tried to come out today and be aggressive," said McConnell, who went 10 for 17 from the field. "I got some good looks and that helped." ... McConnell is one of the finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, which is presented annually to the nation's top collegiate point guard. ... Saint Mary's guard Stephen Holt, the 6-4 freshman from Portland's Jesuit High School, is averaging 5.9 points and 3.0 rebounds in 20.1 minutes off the bench. He also leads the Gaels with 37 steals.

Luke Sikma had 13 points and 11 rebounds for his fifth double-double in six games and 10th of the season, helping pace the Pilots to a 79-64 victory over San Diego Thursday at the Chiles Center. Jared Stohl added a team-high 16 points and Tim Douglas finished with 12 points and six assists in his first career start. "Offensively, I think we're at our best when we're in transition, because our posts all run real well," Reveno said. "I'll put our posts up against anyone in our league running the floor."

The Gaels are one of only three Division I teams in the country that is shooting above 50 percent from the field. Going into Friday’s games, Kansas was shooting 51.4 percent to lead the nation, followed by Georgetown (50.8 ) and Saint Mary’s (50.5). … In last season's game at the Chiles Center, Portland's T.J. Campbell scored 24 points, including two free throws with 10 seconds remaining in overtime, lifting the Pilots to an 80-75 victory over the Gaels.

-- Jim Beseda

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by IBleedPurple&White Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 pm

PilotNut wrote:I officially endorse the consumption of beer, by those of appropriate age. Very Happy (Do you really think DTR and I could do all this moderatin' without the requisite beverages?!)

The beer & wine are sold strictly at the pre-game meals and in the Pilot Club @ halftime--you can't take beer to your seats.... it is available only when in the designated area on the mezzanine.

Make no mistake, I have no objection to the (reasonable) consumption of what Ben Franklin said was "living proof that God loves us"! But I'm glad to learn that the sales are being limited to those spots, and not in the arena bowl itself. We all know what happens when certain visiting fans overindulge (you know who you are drunken )!

IBleedPurple&White
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Location : Portland, OR... is there anywhere else that matters?
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:52 pm

I found this youtube video that was made a year ago before the UP vs. SMC game. Still pretty fitting for the coming game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZa8-P7Gc7w
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Double K has been guarding or playing with Mickey since the fifth grade, he has better luck playing with him, lol...but I guarantee that Mickey would never had gotten that shot off against his 5th grade buddy....he would have backed up ten feet,& banked it off backboard like I ve seen him do for the past decade (& he showed a national tv audience last spring).

Rogers will guard him, Jared needs to be MAKING his shot, not trying to keep up with Mickey......Is the lowest percentage that Jared has shot in his UP career?

Btw KK and mickey lose 50% if the time when they went back to challenge Bailey and an unnamed mesa kid who the pilots have stashed in a JUCO (think like tj skill set, but needs 2 yrs there to develop game& academics)when they go back on break to their hs alma mater.....I think PILOT fans will be pleasantly surprised at Baileys skill set when he beats out Nicholas for POWER FWRD start ing spot next yr...at least from my prospective....JOHN BAILEY the forgotten little sailor on the PILOT SHIP WHO will contribute 20 minutes a game next yr cyclops

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:16 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:Double K has been guarding or playing with Mickey since the fifth grade, he has better luck playing with him, lol...but I guarantee that Mickey would never had gotten that shot off against his 5th grade buddy....he would have backed up ten feet,& banked it off backboard like I ve seen him do for the past decade (& he showed a national tv audience last spring).

Rogers will guard him, Jared needs to be MAKING his shot, not trying to keep up with Mickey......Is the lowest percentage that Jared has shot in his UP career?

Btw KK and mickey lose 50% if the time when they went back to challenge Bailey and an unnamed mesa kid who the pilots have stashed in a JUCO (think like tj skill set plus 3 inches in height, but needs 2 yrs there to develop game& academics)when they go back on break to their hs alma mater.....I think PILOT fans will be pleasantly surprised at Baileys skill set when he beats out Nicholas for POWER FWRD start ing spot next yr...at least from my prospective....JOHN BAILEY the forgotten little sailor on the PILOT SHIP WHO will contribute 20 minutes a game next yr cyclops

Anybody care to remember mickey riding the pine or Kramers improvement from 2007-2008, huh maybe mesa is onto something

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:
MesaPilot1 wrote:Double K has been guarding or playing with Mickey since the fifth grade, he has better luck playing with him, lol...but I guarantee that Mickey would never had gotten that shot off against his 5th grade buddy....he would have backed up ten feet,& banked it off backboard like I ve seen him do for the past decade (& he showed a national tv audience last spring).

Btw KK and mickey lose 50% if the time when they went back to challenge Bailey and an unnamed mesa kid who the pilots have stashed in a JUCO (think like tj skill set plus 3 inches in height, but needs 2 yrs there to develop game& academics)when they go back on break to their hs alma mater.....I think PILOT fans will be pleasantly surprised at Baileys skill set when he beats out Nicholas for POWER FWRD start ing spot next yr...at least from my prospective....JOHN BAILEY the forgotten little sailor on the PILOT SHIP WHO will contribute 20 minutes a game next yr cyclops

Anybody care to remember mickey riding the pine or Kramers improvement from 2007-2008, huh maybe mesa is onto something

A few small points: With Timmy D. moving into the starting point guard spot, that moves Rodgers a little bit deeper into the rotation. I think we're more likely to see Timmy and Waterford on Mickey for most of the game. But, who knows... Rev knows he has a defensive stopper in Rodgers too.

Also, next year is a long time away, but, there will be a lot of spots opening up on the front line. There's no reason that both Bailey and Nicholas couldn't start if they earn it. It might be a front line of: Bailey--small forward; Nicholas--power forward; Riley Barker--center. That's assuming that the back court is Timmy and Nem, and Nem plays shooting guard instead of small forward. No offense to your boy from Mesa, but, I think that the other Bailey, Kevin Bailey, will end up making a much bigger splash on the bluff and might end up starting immediately. That would shake up everything as far as the rotation goes...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless! Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:39 am

Does anyone else here think that Stohl is afraid to shoot right now?
I think he just needs to start letting it rip. 3Pt Pct be damned. It's the only way the Pilots have a chance at winning tonight.
Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 am

You can tell that Stohl is hesistating just a bit right now... he needs to get his mojo back. Nem, too, for that matter. This afternoon would be a good time for that to happen...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:02 pm

PilotNut wrote:You can tell that Stohl is hesistating just a bit right now... he needs to get his mojo back. Nem, too, for that matter. This afternoon would be a good time for that to happen...

Huh! Wait a second. Did you guys actually look at the box score after the last game? Jared led the team in scoring with 16 points. He shot 40% from the 3 point stripe, and 45% from the field and was perfect from the free throw line. Yes, we're spoiled by what he can do. But, I'd say he kind of snapped out of it...at least at home. Shooting 40% from the 3 point line is fine at any level. It's okay to let Superman come down to earth every once and a while... I wouldn't call 4-10 (for 3s) hesitant at all. He's letting it go...

Jared snapped out of it, but, Mitrovic is definitely still struggling...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless! Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm not putting a ton of faith into stats from games against teams with an RPI over 300.
Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:46 pm

I am not saying he didnt make some shots... but watching him play, there have been a few times when he got the ball in the past few games, where historically he would have launched... but recently he has hesitated and not shot. But I was surprised when I looked at the box score and saw that he took 10 3's... didnt seem like that many.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Mesa where your loyalty to mesa products is evident you are most likely way off base regarding Bailey vs Nicholas. Bailey will have to work hard just to earn time over Carson next season.
lets hope all five starters show up tonight

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:39 pm

oldtimer wrote:Mesa where your loyalty to mesa products is evident

I wonder why this could possibly be ... Wink

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:07 pm

oldtimer wrote:Mesa where your loyalty to mesa products is evident you are most likely way off base regarding Bailey vs Nicholas. Bailey will have to work hard just to earn time over Carson next season.
lets hope all five starters show up tonight

Starting lineup next year ...Timmy at pt, Nem at 2 (like Nik could interchange with Ethan), Carson at small fwrd, Bailey starts at pwr fwrd, and Big red shines at Center with scoring ability of Robin Smuelders.....Nikolas has shown very little improvement since his Junior year in HS imo....but Rev may start him at least against the Zags or for the simple fact to have an enforcer like Kramer who currently makes Stohl and Sikma look all conference because he does all the "dirty work" that REV loves, and REV did the same thing for the stars that he played for at Stanford....Have you seen Nikolas on the court he's barely taller then Nem, has no vertical jump,no athletic skill ala TJ, Robin,Nik , need I go on.... BAILEY HAS A WAY HIGHER CEILING, a dead eye from 20 ft in....Rev just didnt need him this yr...he saw how Jasonn and Kramer got pushed around their freshman yr and didnt want another skinny kid from Mesa (to waste his first yr on the bench) and decided to wisely use his Redshirt and burn Nicholas's freshman yr riding the pine next to Corey, and the redshirts...c'mon hate to be hard on Ryan...but he's not the program savior that Stonehouse stated on this board he was when he was taking Robin, Luke, and Kramer to school during his college visit (that was a bit of an overestimate, heh, Stoney).....he's about extra fouls , and spark off the bench ala Jasonn...with Rev coaching him and Big Red, and Bailey the WCC better watch out for the next 3-4 yrs....Coach Joel deserves alot of the credit.... another case in pt oldtimer who's playing better at Gonzaga right now....Kelly O or their redshirt freshman Sam Dower.....

If this program has to rely on guys of Ryan Nicolas ilk next yr....I suspect back to 9-22 records....he will never, ever be all WCC that DTR claims he will be....he's too short and not athletic enough (unless he pulls a Pendo from Gonzaga which I highly doubt witll happen)....he will be lucky to have a career like Kramer if he's fortunate...

Have a great game Pilots!!!

Hugs and kisses to all you RPI nuts...because it means absolutely nothing to the Pilots unless your shooting for the " kissing your sister " Sad CBI tourney...wons and losses mean NCAA tourney....as does winning WCC tourney...

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Up by 2 at half...would have been nice to not allow that last 3 by McConnell. Definitely happy with the performance thus far. Just better keep our eyes on their shooter. We can certainly pull this out.

Would have been nice if ESPNU had brought some better cameras with them, and left that Gonzaga commercial where it belongs, in a Gonzaga game.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by pilot_fan Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:02 pm

We gotta pack the house on thursday now to take down gonzaga next!

If you don't have tickets yet, i've seen some below face value on ebay, and looks like some on craigslist too.

Let's keep this team rolling! Great win today, holding them to 2 points for about 10min in the second half. Nice!

pilot_fan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:09 pm

guess my kids will be wearing their UP onsies for the next several Thursdays and Saturdays.

Great win, love our new point guard. Loved the confidence. Especially coming out of halftime. Hopefully they can really build on this.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Wow. Just ... wow.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next