Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!!

+3
MesaPilot1
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
7 posters

Go down

David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!! Empty David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!!

Post by Stonehouse Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:51 am

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-2336496662484880769/recruiting-central-catholics-david-carr-commits-to-university-of-portland/

Best part, he's a local kid from Central Catholic!!!

He's 6'2", is known as a sharpshooter, but has been developing his game as a PG too.

Not to go overboard with comparisons, but it seems like he could slide very nicely into Jared's role. Of course I don't expect him to lead the nation in three-point shooting, but obviously Reveno's system works for someone who can shoot.

Welcome David!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!! Empty Re: David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!!

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:58 am

Stoney is hard at work as usual.

You could have saved some effort, though, and just read this post Very Happy

MesaPilot1 wrote:
up7587 wrote:A local commit! David Carr from Central Catholic. A 6-2 guard. From O-Live: LINK.

Good find UP7587! Maybe he can pick up some shooting pointers from the UP all time top shooter Mr Jared Stohl. Don't want to put pressure on the young man, but Rev keeps finding a shooter somewhere up there in the Pacific Northwest. Sounds like a good canidate for the team. A humble, well spoken, HUNGRY to improve young man.

A couple of years in the weight room with coach Scott will turn him into another wirey shooter/creator like our Mr Stohl.Welcome to the UP family!
Soak up as much of that Stohl magic touch vicariously before you arrive on campus next fall.

Was he on anybody's radar, Nut, Geez, Stoney? I heard hide nor hair of him before this, tsk, tsk, tsk Rolling Eyes

MesaPilot1

PS-UP mens BB it just keeps getting better every year with Coach Rev at the Helm.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!! Empty Re: David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!!

Post by Stonehouse Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:00 am

Ha ha... oops!

Hey, I was outside all day yesterday at the President's Invitational at Pumpkin Ridge, and I'm a delicate one that wilts in the sun. The heat makes my brain go soft.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:00 am

Tough gig...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh it was, especially since I was in charge of handing out Mai Tais...
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:16 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Oh it was, especially since I was in charge of handing out Mai Tais...

Stonehouse keeps getting all the tough gigs! I went golfing with u know who,got the team run down, and got some of the Stoney "Burn" in the 112 degree sunny heat this afternoon. The kid must be hitting the weights like last year because he hit an errant shot on 12 off the tee and "exploded" the ladies tee marker. A first time I had ever seen this.
Oh by the way Geez, I only hit the beverage cart once today, and I mean literally with a golf ball. I gave the 2 young men playing with us something to talk about. Thank goodness the young women serving the adult beverages was good natured about it and no one was hurt. She did not stop serving our foursome in spite of Mesa's errant shot's.

I can't wait until the battle for pt guard starts, I've been told it will be Twisted Evil Twisted Evil intense Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ....Eric with the experience edge(2 yr headstart running the Pilot Offense), the JUCO(Derrick) is 6 foot plus 200 lb plus with a body like Pargo, SUPER ATHLETIC ala TJ or Sherrard Watson I hope Wink , but needs to work on his outside shot. Our freshman from LA(Tim) is a gifted outside shooter, quick,but his drawback is his diminutive size--If only he had TJ's muscles he would be my inside favorite. They all bring varying talents to the court. It's gonna be great to see how Rev figures it all out.

The super,duper good news is Luke and Jasonn are improved greatly over last season-which the Pilots will really need against the Zaggettes,Gaels,and Lions in those 6 critical games of WCC play. Jasonn is on the Athletes in Action tour as previously mentioned on the board and the coaching staff is excited about him be able to get ton's of PLAYING TIME over the summer in game situations. (I just hope he doesnt like that food overseas too well and keeps his slim 280 lb playing weight in check).Wow hasn't he come a long ways in 3+ years and I am so happy for him to see such a well-rounded likeable kid grow into a force at center on the Basketball Team at UP. Way to go Jasonn Cheers! Gotta give a big credit to Rev and Coach Sobotka and Coach Scott in the Weight Room for that transformation.Makes you wonder what they will be able to do with all the new bigs over the next 3 years...as Mesa salvates pig .

I'll probably say some more at a latter time when Stoney release's his team preview about some of the other new guys. I think we all know what Stohl and Knutson bring to the table every game.I'm hoping the 4 seniors can step up and provide the leadership that we lost with Ito,TJ,Nik, Robin, and Ethan gone. I believe the Pilots can pick up a surprise OOC win if that happens....

Oh,,and Nem is improving steadily as we all expected.

Enough from me for now,

MesaPilot1 Very Happy

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

David Carr (2011 Guard) Commits to Pilots!!! Empty About David Carr

Post by wrv Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:52 am

Perhaps those closer to the recruiting of David can weigh in on what accolades this young man received prior to our scholarship offer? Was he all league in the Mount Hood Conference, honorable mention all-state? It appears that David had a somewhat limited role at Central last year and that his recruiting heated up this summer after some exceptional performances with his AAU club in various tournaments.

In the recent Rose City Showcase he apparently was the leading scorer for the Willamette Reign, scoring 39 points in three games, including a 25 point outburst in the second game, playing with and against decent competition, I suspect. I have linked the wrap up of one writer regarding the Showcase. If you scroll down you will find a note about Carr.

The video clip already linked suggests he may have good ball handling skills as well.

Go Pilots.

http://www.oregonprepsports.net/boys-basketball/157-boys-basketball-news/3344-rose-city-showcase-offers-glimpse-of-2010-11-hoops-season

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:53 am

It appears from your information that Rev and the staff picked up a real hidden gem. Ok you guys are off the hook up there in Oregon, like the over used phrase "he blew up from out of nowhere". I guess thats what happens when your dealing with still growing adolescent young men.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:45 am

Nice. It's always nice to continue to land more depth and options for the team. In the short term, I really feel like Stohl and Mitrovic are going to be our sharpshooters, and I think Mitrovic can step into Stohl's role a little bit when he leaves... Great to see a local kid commit and continue to add depth and talent for the future though.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:57 am

ESPN just put up an evaluation (atleast since the last time I went on their site): http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/121449/david-carr

Strengths:
Carr is a terrific outside shooter. He squares very well and his fundamentals and technique are quite good, although his release could be quicker. He moves well without the ball and knows how to spot up for his shot off the break. He possesses very good savvy for this game and is a willing passer off the dribble.

Weaknesses:
He isn't a great athlete and playing defense against quicker and stronger guards could be an issue until he makes the necessary adjustments. He needs to get stronger, but he does have the frame to fill out well at the next level. In addition, he'll need to continue to polish his ball handling skills when defenders get into him.

Bottom line:
Carr is a well-rounded guard that should have a fine career at Portland. His savvy and shooting prowess speak volumes as to the kind of player he is. If he can adjust to the system of the Pilots early on during his freshmen season, he should make an immediate impact because every program needs a shooter of Carr's ability.

Notes
Notes are not available.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:46 pm

I think they forgot to mention his inability to handle blitzing linebackers behind a sieve-like offensive line.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:53 pm

mattywizz wrote:I think they forgot to mention his inability to handle blitzing linebackers behind a sieve-like offensive line.

The almost FORGOT the ol infamous Babbbwawa Walters question. David if you were a tree , what type of tree would you be??? Maybe a little to early for some...as that was her 1970's question to some uber-celeb that she barely now has started to live down. It made for some interesting SNL skits for a while, lol,,, scratch

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down