Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots

+2
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
6 posters

Go down

2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots Empty 2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:34 am

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/154680-pilots-commit-gabe-taylor-taking-next-step

Gabe is a 6'8" PF from Valley Catholic in Beaverton - the Sobotka connection coming through, I suppose!

The first 2014 commit for the Pilots and it sure seems like a good fit on paper with Nicholas set to graduate this year.

Back to top Go down

2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots Empty Re: 2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:59 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/154680-pilots-commit-gabe-taylor-taking-next-step

Gabe is a 6'8" PF from Valley Catholic in Beaverton - the Sobotka connection coming through, I suppose!

The first 2014 commit for the Pilots and it sure seems like a good fit on paper with Nicholas set to graduate this year.
Good find, Deaner; I've got to admit I've never heard of the 3A player, but as you say, I'm sure Joel had something to do with his looking at UP....and he's a Portland lad!!

To my knowledge he's had no offers from any other school...one just has to hope he lasts longer than our most recent 5A student/athlete. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots Empty Re: 2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:09 am

The article says he committed in December. This must be the guy that Reveno referred to in that tweet from December about and exciting phone call from a 2014 recruit.

Good to have another local player.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:29 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The article says he committed in December. This must be the guy that Reveno referred to in that tweet from December about and exciting phone call from a 2014 recruit.

The beast of social media. Kid with Twitter commits, he tweets "I've committed!" and changes his bio to #TeamPortlandBibleCollege or whatever. Everyone finds out and it shows up on all recruiting sites immediately.

Kid without Twitter commits, and it takes six months for the masses to find out...even though Reveno tweeted as close to "just had a kid commit" as he possibly could under the rules of publicizing an incoming student-athlete that hasn't signed a letter yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Good find, Deaner; I've got to admit I've never heard of the 3A player, but as you say, I'm sure Joel had something to do with his looking at UP....and he's a Portland lad!!

To my knowledge he's had no offers from any other school...one just has to hope he lasts longer than our most recent 5A student/athlete. Evil or Very Mad
Ooops, I was wrong; I've seen this kid play, but he was a Newberg HS sophmore when I saw him, and I didn't recognize his name.

He's actually got some interest from NW schools early on, including UO and UW.

Smart move on his (parents) part to get him some guidance from Coach Sobotka who's preparing him for the grind of college.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I have searched for more information on Gabe but, at least with my search, the information is quite limited. We know he was league POY and 3A 1st team all state, but we do not know his scoring nor rebounding and assists averages, blocked shots, etc.,nor do we know how he has done with some of the traveling teams he has been on. Anyone care to share that information?

The article in the Tribune about him is a little short on specifics though they describe him as a buttery smooth athlete and suggest "his reputation as one of the best high school players in the state is dubbed." I am not sure what that means, but I am assuming it is good.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:41 pm

wrv wrote:I have searched for more information on Gabe but, at least with my search, the information is quite limited. We know he was league POY and 3A 1st team all state, but we do not know his scoring nor rebounding and assists averages, blocked shots, etc.,nor do we know how he has done with some of the traveling teams he has been on. Anyone care to share that information?

The article in the Tribune about him is a little short on specifics though they describe him as a buttery smooth athlete and suggest "his reputation as one of the best high school players in the state is dubbed." I am not sure what that means, but I am assuming it is good.
I've not seen any stats on Gabe, but as he's a D-1 caliber player playing at the high school 3A level, I'm not sure stats would be a useful indicator of his talent or potential.

The staff knows that stats and the comments of others are nice, but they've got to see a student/athlete in action to form a real of idea of his talent....and Rev and Joel obviously think he'll be a good fit.  However, if anyone can get a chance to see his stats or see him in action for his AAU team, Pump "N" Run, this summer, it might show a clearer picture of his potential.  We all know AAU ball is generally dominated by guards/wings, so it will be a great opportunity for Gabe to work on rebounding, defense, and finding the open man.

"Buttery Smooth" Gabe will be stepping into opening left by the graduation of "Rhino!"  Ryan Nicholas just won his third straight "Strong Man" competition....so I suspect we'll see quite a different style when Gabe arrives.

I'm just hoping Gabe can be more like Robin Smeulders of UP Men's Basketball than like 5A player Jake Ehlers who found the grind of D-1 ball just too tough.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm just hoping Gabe can be more like Robin Smeulders of UP Men's Basketball than like 5A player Jake Ehlers who found the grind of D-1 ball just too tough.

Smeulders was a nice player but imho if you want to hope, then hope that Gabe is exactly the kind of player that his predecessor Nicholas is.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jake Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Nice article on Taylor

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2013/07/valley_catholics_gabe_taylor_t.html#incart_river_default

jake
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks for the link. Let’s hope that Gabe achieves his goals and is a difference maker for the Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 pm

During this offseason when we all want to hear more about Pilots basketball, this article is like a frosty glass of beer to a thirsty man....thanks, jake.

Today at 5pm the D-1 Men's Basketball "dead period" ends and observations and recruiting once again begin.  The Pilots coaching staff is already at various points in the US waiting for the action to begin.  Go Pilots!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Today at 5pm the D-1 Men's Basketball "dead period" ends and observations and recruiting once again begin.  The Pilots coaching staff is already at various points in the US waiting for the action to begin.  Go Pilots!
Yup. Rev was complaining on Twitter about reclining seats intruding his space. After he fixes the NCAA rules problems, I expect him to fix the airlines.

DD, why haven't you hooked him up with a private jet?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:22 pm

up7587 wrote:DD, why haven't you hooked him up with a private jet?
Well, I know of another WCC school in the Northwest that has at least one regent that allows the use of his plane (and pilots) from time-to-time to help the athletic staff get from city to city….and that might help with recruiting a bit….but it’s certainly not a widespread practice at the mid-major level.

Without naming names, there are a number of UP supporters who are capable of providing this opportunity for the UP staff, and although I’m not aware of anyone on the current athletic staff riding on an executive jet, I wouldn’t bet it hasn’t happened.

As the chief pilot for a gentleman in Southern California who owns 12 planes, I often had a number of athletic staff members from one particular major California university onboard that happened to be “going our way,” as my boss liked to say, but they usually had to find their own way home…tongue 

Tom's Do328....
2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots Do32810
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 am

Hmmm, very interesting...

From Assistant Athletic Director/Compliance and Student Services, Ryan McAlvey:
13.5.2.3 requires coach class transportation on official visits, even if business or first class fares are less expensive.
I'll leave it to Geezer to translate 13.5.2.3....Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:21 am

You're telling me John Calipari flies coach? I'll believe that when pigs fly."

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I believe that rule is referring to the recruits when they come on the official visit... not the university employees that are travelling outward to recruit. So, one school cannot get an advantage by flying the recruit to campus in First Class, while another only shells out for Business Class...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:25 pm

PilotNut wrote:I believe that rule is referring to the recruits when they come on the official visit...  not the university employees that are travelling outward to recruit.  So, one school cannot get an advantage by flying the recruit to campus in First Class, while another only shells out for Business Class...
My little bit of checking appears to confirm that, Nut...

Apparently it's all about the Potential Student Athlete (PSA).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Coach Reveno wrote:Hey, @CoachMiles any chance you could tweet your flight schedule so I could bum a ride?  #justasking
Ha-ha, I guess that clears that up, somewhat.

It would appear from the picture taken by Nebraska MBB Coach Tim Miles that he gets around in a King Air during the recruiting period.....nice.

His own caption to the picture is, "The Race is On."
2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots The_ra11
2014 PF Gabe Taylor commits to Pilots Coach_10
Better buckle-up, coach!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down