Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots!

+4
MesaPilot1
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots! Empty WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots!

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 pm

A very pleasant surprise just popped up in my email alerts... Reveno picked up another 2010 recruit! He goes to the same high school as Kramer, so likely we owe many thanks to Kramer for helping sell the Pilots. AWESOME! Scouting report says he's a big body with good footwork and can score either with his back to the basket or facing the basket, good hands, good FT shooter, can run the floor well, and has a 3.2 GPA. Sounds like a perfect fit.

He averaged 19 points and 7 rebounds a game as a junior... just for comparison, Kramer averaged 14 and 5.5 in the same league. Looks like we picked up a good one!

John Bailey 6-8 SR PF Dobson HS (Mesa, AZ)
(Committed to University of Portland)

...add to the list Dobson High School's 6-foot-8 senior post John Bailey, who recently decided to end his college recruitment early as well, deciding to commit to Head Coach Eric Reveno and the University of Portland.

Bailey was receiving serious interest from such schools as Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA, USC, Washington, Notre Dame, Cal and many others heading into the July evaluation period.

http://arizonapreps.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=962940&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid

Another link... from ESPN this time. It's a bit old (summer of 2007) but it's nice to know he was popping up on radar screens as early as his freshman year:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=55253&season=2010
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots! Empty Re: WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots!

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Wow, that sounds like quite the coup for Rev, well done! Perhaps Mesa can provide us with a little insight or eyewitness knowledge for us??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots! Empty Re: WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:39 pm

An under the radar guy? Mesa, help us out here! What's the story on our new Pilot? I'm waiting. . .

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Hmmm, maybe not so under-the-radar:

Bailey was receiving serious interest from such schools as Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA, USC, Washington, Notre Dame, Cal and many others heading into the July evaluation period.

Sounds like a great get for Rev! Very Happy
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Like the kids say... "My bad!!!". I actually knew he had been offered a scholly for quite a while, I'm glad he accepted it. Just call me the weakest link when it comes to my own backyard new's. I think Kramer attending Portland helped alot. I know when Kramer and McConnell from St Mary's come back to Mesa for Holiday's and Summer they all head over to their HS gym to scrimmage with them.

I first saw him play in 9th grade. He's a good player. I believe he's further along than Kramer at that stage skill wise, especially on the offensive end. He's probably not as tenacious as Kramer but I think that will be changed with the current Pilot's and Rev's guidance. I believe he and the other post recruit(Nicholas) from Gonzaga Prep are an excellent start for 2010 Class.

What I would like to see is Rev be able to sign his teamate their starting guard. He's a dead ringer for TJ's game with what I believe is top quality D-1 talent . (Quick, Explosive, Great Passer ,etc...)
Theyve been playing together since gradeschool. His name slip's me right now. I'll try to do some more research, who's recruiting him , etc. Would'nt that be great to get a recruiting tradition going from Phx(Mesa) to Portland.

I am excited now I'll get to follow John Bailey and the Dobson Mustangs play this year whenever possible Yahoo! . I'll get to report back to you guys first hand on his progress.

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 am

Bailey got a mention on ESPN: LINK

Scroll down to "Big Men Worth Watching"...

Big men worth watching

The Joe Ward All Stars have two impressive big men in 6-7 Portland commit John Bailey (Mesa, Ariz./Dobson) and 6-8 junior Blondy Baruti (Mesa, Ariz.). Bailey needs strength, but he has a versatile game and a high basketball IQ. Baruti is a physical specimen that is raw and explosive at both ends.

Gotta love the IQ comment... and strength can certainly be worked on with the new training staff. Basketball
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:48 pm

Great imfo Pilot Nut. Bailey plays in the the summer for the Joe Ward All-Stars. His HS teamate from Dobson that plays with him in the summer is named Jarrett Green. I'm still doing some more research on Jarrett.

It would be great if one of you less computer challenged guys could link the Joe Ward All-Stars website Suspect .

Anybody know what summer team the Gonzaga Prep kid is playing on? It would be nice to see how he is doing with a link to his team Rolling Eyes .

I know ,I know its summer club ball. But, this is also a time they play against many D-1 recruits and better. Even though its in a helter skelter,run and gun type game environment.

MesaPilot1 Basketball

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : When's the Poster for this years team comming OUT???)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:07 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:G
It would be great if one of you less computer challenged guys could link the Joe Ward All-Stars website Suspect .

MesaPilot1 Basketball

Life has gotten easier, linkwise.

Just cut the URL in your browser and paste it directly into the reply box.
It will be clickable

http://joewardallstars.com/Home_Page.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

WOW! John Bailey, 6'-8" Post, Commits to Pilots! Empty Congrats

Post by pbriz Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Wow sounds like a nice pickup. Congrats

pbriz
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:45 pm

I like the idea of having a player with "long arms" among other things. Rev continues to know how to recruit the student athletes. Very cool.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MJGoGaels Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 am

Good get. As MesaPilot mentioned, SMC's point guard Mickey McConnell played at Dobson, too, and his dad is the head coach. Wonder why the connnection did not come SMC's way? Recruiting - it's always a mystery, but an early verbal is nice to see when your a fan.
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:09 pm

I love seeing Blondy Baruti on a roster and then going to a website that has his picture.

Makes me chuckle every time.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes, I noticed that too. Wow, that young man looks tough. I just want to let you guy's know that I think John Bailey is around 6'8" 200-210lbs. I'm hoping I'm low on guess. But I doubt he's 6'10' and unless he hasn't grown since 9th grade he's not 6'7". The stuff I've read is he's 6'7"-6'10" which is a wildly large difference.It's humorous how these Kids and their coach's always list themselves an inch or two taller and 20 pounds heavier.But, they have been doing it forever in bb so I've gotten used to it.

Thanks again for posting that Joe Ward All-Stars link again Geezer Bow.

MesaPilot1 Pimp

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down