Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 Volleyball

+2
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2016 Volleyball - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 Volleyball

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:24 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Would it be wrong to start hoping for that first tournament berth next year or the following year? Most recent RPI of this years team is 88.

No, I don't think so. The WCC is a strong volleyball conference, and if we can continue to pull some upsets of the ranked teams, and avoid some losses to lower-ranked teams (particularly out of conference), then I would expect the Pilots to be in the hunt for a berth soon based on the program's trajectory under Coach Crouch. If you go back and change a couple of the losses to wins (Seattle U, PSU, GU), I wonder where the RPI would have ended up this year? I can't believe I just said that, after where this program was mired for so long!

Let's hope we can keep Crouch on the Bluff for a while--as the wins increase, so will the suitors knocking on the door.

Portland will have a bit of a challenge establishing itself as a power volleyball program due to the historic name recognition of the California schools in the WCC... a NCAA berth would go a long way towards changing that. There is no reason this program, in this league, in this city cannot become a power...

The match against GU was indeed a thriller, but the Pilots struggled with passing all night, which limited the offense and made it predictable.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:42 pm

The volleyball program is on the same NLI signing schedule for prospective student athletes as basketball. The signing period, 11/9-11/16, has come and gone.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/

With the success enjoyed for the last two years, I hope there is a similar uptick in recruiting. I understand that we have benefited greatly from transfers already, but hope there are recruits in the pipeline perhaps waiting to be announced.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:15 pm

I have been out of town but noticed that the Pilots indeed have recruited for next year. The article:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2016/12/15/volleyball-adds-decorated-recruiting-class-to-the-program.aspx

Let’s hope these winning ways continue.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2