Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do we go from here?

+31
PDX
pilotfan4life
Rochin54
Rob's Jacket
The Wingman
deprofundis
pilotdad1
2002Pilot
Urika
newpilotfan
jumpstop
piloted
KTodd
mikemac65
upbasketball544
Oldfan
blacksheep
Stonehouse
DTLegend
Woodless 2.0
bullwinkle
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
pilotram
Dean Murdoch
SoCalPilot
wrv
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
35 posters

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Where do we go from here? - Page 10 Empty Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:35 pm

A look at Kyle Smith's six years at Columbia...

2011: 15-13 (6-8, T-5th in Ivy)
2012: 15-15 (4-10, 6th in Ivy)
2013: 12-16 (4-10, 8th in Ivy)
2014: 21-13 (8-6, T-3rd in Ivy) *CIT quarterfinals
2015: 13-15 (5-9, T-5th in Ivy)
2016: 24-10 (10-4, 3rd in Ivy) *CIT finals on Tuesday

Final Kenpom rankings for each season, starting with 2010-11: 212, 187, 192, 123, 175, *112 (in progress).

First time I'd really looked at what he'd done at Columbia, as I've now seen his name associated with both UP and USF. Two good years out of six, no NCAA appearances, no NIT appearances, and no teams that would be close to competing with the upper echelon of the WCC (not even this year). Pilots were full value for a solid 17-point home win over Columbia in one of his good years.

Reading material from the Columbia Lions board - http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/18858/fbb_session_id/8715208e7e32061097ce757dea5ea3de/ - doesn't exactly look like a thread of a fan base that's overly worried about keeping their coach around.

And all that said - and I put a lot more stock into this than the stuff above - I see a lot of respected basketball people talking about how good of a job Kyle Smith has done with the Columbia basketball program and what a good hire he'd be at various programs.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN wrote:Hearing Herb Sendek strong at Santa Clara and Columbia coach Kyle Smith is there good at San Francisco, per sources.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN wrote:
Bennett: Declined the interview. Loves the program and the team he has coming back the next couple years.  
Mark Anderson @markanderson65 wrote:According to source, Bennett at Saint Mary's turned down a $1.5 million offer to coach #UNLVmbb #RJnow

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:29 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:In addition to those four, a well known former head coach we saw in the Chiles Center just a few years ago has also been approached.
Dave Rice?
Yup!  His name has been mentioned along with other jobs, but to this point not yet with UP's.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11265
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:38 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I have learned that at least four of the coaches on Daschel's list have been interviewed or approached.
Mind telling us which ones?
Unconfirmed, meaning this is second hand, Terry Porter, Jim Shaw, Jim Hayford, and Randy Rahe.

Terry Cahill wrote about Kyle Smith, coaching in the CIT final this coming Tuesday....UP is apparently staying in touch with him, but another of those impeccable sources is telling me he is very interested in the USF job, and at this point, not UP's open position.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:43 pm

I mean, I have no idea if it's possible, but Randy Rahe is a very, very intriguing name.

Maybe he's tired of beating up on the Big Sky and is ready to take on some bigger programs like GU and BYU?

EDIT: Just saw this - his total gross compensation in 2014 was $391,337 (including benefits, etc): http://www.utahsright.com/salaries.php?city=weber_sal

Reveno's was $485,447: http://www.up.edu/showimage/show.aspx?file=23671

So, definitely a salary bump for Rahe if he were to come to UP.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:17 pm

If UP were to hire Rahe, at least it would be an upgrade in regards to conference performance....it's obviously just a guess how he could recruit and perform in the WCC compared to Rev's record.

Smith has shown he's a very good coach, and his stock is certainly rising with each win, but I'm not sure if a mid-level Ivy League coach can be any better than Rev.  

I do believe the delay in naming a new UP coach is because UP wants a chance to talk to Smith before making a final decision....something that will be possible after this coming Tuesday night.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:16 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Unconfirmed, meaning this is second hand, Terry Porter, Jim Shaw, Jim Hayford, and Randy Rahe.
Ok, I'm sitting here imagining Scott thinking to himself:

Let's terminate Rev's contract early because we can get one of there guys...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Stonehouse wrote:So, definitely a salary bump for Rahe if he were to come to UP.

What goes further in terms of cost of living? $500k in Portland, or $400k in Ogden? Agree he's an interesting name, but I'm not sure if it'd be enough of a salary bump to entice. And a quick look at the roster shows a major reliance on Texas for recruiting - is that something he could continue at Portland?

The more I read about the search and think about the situation, the more I think the Pilots will be announcing Terry Porter as the next head coach some time in the next couple of days.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:The more I read about the search and think about the situation, the more I think the Pilots will be announcing Terry Porter as the next head coach some time in the next couple of days.
Agreed....depending upon what Porter wants for a salary.

All the other coaches mentioned are very fine coaches with good programs, but IMO none are an upgrade.  

I know very little about the one "name" college coach, former UNLV Coach Dave Rice, and from what I can determine he was recommend by the search firm hired by UP.....but one would assume he would require a pretty hefty salary to come to Portland.

Without being in the interview room and not knowing the salary demands of each known candidate, I too have become am a TP for UP advocate.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:30 pm

My concern is that Leykam terminated the contract without a solid plan regarding whom he was going to hire. The length of time leads me to believe that he is still interviewing people and either he hasnt offered anyone or any such offers havent been accepted. Just doesnt feel like there was a slam dunk waiting in the wings.

While I like one or two of the names that have been thrown around please dont tell me that we fired Rev for a big sky coach or a mid level Ivy league coach. Rev didnt have the wins that were necessary to continue but he is a fine coach that did a lot of good things for both the program and University. I guess at least in my mind that if a change was deemed to be necessary that it was in part because we had a name that would be considered a significent upgrade.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 am

pilotdad1 wrote:My concern is that Leykam terminated the contract without a solid plan regarding whom he was going to hire. The length of time leads me to believe that he is still interviewing people and either he hasnt offered anyone or any such offers havent been accepted. Just doesnt feel like there was a slam dunk waiting in the wings.

While I like one or two of the names that have been thrown around please dont tell me that we fired Rev for a big sky coach or a mid level Ivy league coach. Rev didnt have the wins that were necessary to continue but he is a fine coach that did a lot of good things for both the program and University. I guess at least in my mind that if a change was deemed to be necessary that it was in part because we had a name that would be considered a significent upgrade.

Ditto. I think that our resource limitations also make it unrealistic to assume we are going to hire a current D1 coach away from anywhere, Big Sky included, with the exception of PSU.

It could be the board, but no one has mentioned that we have interviewed any assistants.? At this point worrying about improving on Reveno is not a relevant consideration, just an assumption that it would be the AD’s goal. Actually taking a step up from Reveno may prove difficult after all . . .short list notwithstanding.

Porter may be the best fit both financially and otherwise.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 am

pilotdad1 wrote:My concern is that Leykam terminated the contract without a solid plan regarding whom he was going to hire. The length of time leads me to believe that he is still interviewing people and either he hasnt offered anyone or any such offers havent been accepted. Just doesnt feel like there was a slam dunk waiting in the wings.

My best guess? Terry Porter and Kyle Smith were the top two candidates all along. This stuff doesn't generally stay under wraps these days in the Twitter era, and those were really the only two names that had been solidly associated with the UP job before Rahe, Rice, and Hayford popped up in this thread yesterday.

I'll wager that Columbia's run in the CIT has extended this process beyond what was originally planned. Smith is now the lead candidate at USF from what I'm reading, but it sure looked like they were going to Lavin at first.

We all want to know what's going to happen, but it hasn't even been two weeks since Rev was turfed. Of the four WCC vacancies, only Pacific's has been filled so I don't think it's time to panic just yet!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:06 am

pilotdad1 wrote:While I like one or two of the names that have been thrown around please dont tell me that we fired Rev for a big sky coach or a mid level Ivy league coach.
I do not understand why Kyle Smith would even be in the running. His record at Columbia looks an awful lot like Reveno's record at UP. A bunch of middling conference records with a couple of third place finishes. And imagine the collective yawn of indifference from the Portland-area sports establishment (fans, media, youth basketball community) if Smith were announced as the next coach. What is the attraction?

As for Rahe, however... Weber State has been an excellent program under his watch. Like Reveno, he has been coaching the Purple (Weber St.) for 10 years. However, unlike Reveno, his conference record is 129-43 (.750). He has finished 1st in the Big Sky five times. He has recruited NBA-caliber players to Ogden, UT. He has had many academic all-conference players. In the PR realm, much could be made of his connection with Damian Lillard. UP would be lucky to get him.

Aside from Porter, Rahe is the guy I am most excited about among those who have been mentioned.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:22 am

I just feel like my whole perspective on this coaching search is way different than most of the other contributors to PilotNation.

I have no issue what so ever with the time it has taken. Now I don't know how hiring a new coach really works but if I were in charge I'd start by getting a list of people who may be interested, or who we think could be successful. We've seen a few lists out there, nothing official but we've seen lists, and heard names. Next I'd take the time to talk with each of those people. As has been mentioned a few of the names that have shown up on lists are still coaching, or were still coaching as of last Friday. I wouldn't rush, I'd take my time, reach out to anyone who I may even be remotely interested in and make sure I do my due diligence. This isn't a process that you want to do often, so make sure you do it right when you have to do it.

We all know that there are challenges that face the Portland Basketball Program, and making sure the candidate is aware of what is in store when they arrive is vital to success. I don't understand why people are impatient about this. Make sure we get the right guy, talk to them about who they might target as assistants, talk to them about their recruiting strategy, how do they plan to contend with Gonzaga, BYU, and Saint Marys, ask what about their offensive system, or defensive system sets them apart, and how it will be successful in the WCC. We all agree there was so much to like about Reveno and what he brought to this program and how he represented Pilot Basketball, but we've also had frustrations with the program over the past 10 years. Why not try to learn from those, keep those in mind while hiring a new coach.

And this is where the AD, and rest of the University need to show their recruiting skills. Prove to the candidate that the University is fully supportive of the basketball program. Explain all the resources available, and a multi-year plan toward success. Put some thought into how day to day operations within the University can lead to success.

I guess at this point I'm rambling. I just want the University to make the right decision. I know that's a lot easier said than done, but I just feel like we can have a successful program, I have hope, and I want someone who can help us get there. There are no easy fixes, we're probably not going to win the conference next season, or even the season after that probably, but someone who can see past all of the baggage, and challenges, and envision success and has a realistic plan to obtain that goal. It may be too much to ask for, but I think it's what we need.

So for me, I'll continue to be patient, continue to trust that everyone involved is doing all they can to make sure the right person is hired, and continue to dream of the day we're still playing basketball in April.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I do not understand why Kyle Smith would even be in the running. His record at Columbia looks an awful lot like Reveno's record at UP. A bunch of middling conference records with a couple of third place finishes. And imagine the collective yawn of indifference from the Portland-area sports establishment (fans, media, youth basketball community) if Smith were announced as the next coach. What is the attraction?

I think this is one of those cases where numbers might not tell the whole story.

Columbia has historically been a bad basketball program. Like, historically bad. Before Kyle Smith, the last time Columbia was over .500 in the Ivy was back-to-back years in 1992 and 1993. Before that? 1985. Zero NIT appearances, last NCAA tournament appearance in 1968.

He's taken a team that was consistently ranked 250 to 300 or worse, and brought the program into the 100s. So while he certainly hasn't built a team of WCC caliber, what he's done for that Columbia program is fantastic.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:54 am

More thoughts on Porter and the Pilot job:

http://catholiccoasthoops.blogspot.com/2016/03/evaluating-wcc-open-coaching-positions.html

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:23 am

wrv wrote:More thoughts on Porter and the Pilot job:

http://catholiccoasthoops.blogspot.com/2016/03/evaluating-wcc-open-coaching-positions.html

Well written summary of the situations (although it was Holton not Holland). Where has this blog been? First post since 2014?

Personally, I'm more in the DTL camp.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Terry is right about Columbia. Kyle Smith has done a very good job there.

It's also worth remembering that he worked as an assistant at San Diego for eight years and then at Saint Mary's for nine years. He knows the WCC very well.

I'd also imagine that he has an existing relationship with Scott Leykam... Scott is a SMC alum, and there were also a few years when Scott was working at the WCC and Smith was coaching at SMC.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan4life Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Sendek is at Santa Clara now.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15085517/santa-clara-broncos-hire-herb-sendek-coach
pilotfan4life
pilotfan4life
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:58 pm

pilotfan4life wrote:Sendek is at Santa Clara now.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15085517/santa-clara-broncos-hire-herb-sendek-coach

Love this part:

Santa Clara has not been to the NCAA tournament since a Steve Nash-led Broncos team advanced to the second round of the 1996 tournament.

Of course, we haven't been there since then either.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 pm

A Bay Area sports reporter is saying that Kyle Smith will be hired by USF, with the announcement coming maybe as soon as Thursday:

https://twitter.com/KPIXSPORTS/status/714633377891024896

Of course, he spelled Columbia as Colombia, so maybe there's another Kyle Smith in Bogota we don't know about.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:33 pm

pilotfan4life wrote:Sendek is at Santa Clara now.

Fans on the BroncoHoops board are all positive about getting Sendek. Not sure about the speculation that he was hired because he's a Randy Bennett look-alike. jocolor

Strong rumors about Kyle Smith to USF are rampant, but the Dons board is mixed about him if that should come to pass. Many do not consider him the exciting hire they hoped for, such as Lavin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:04 pm

@GoodmanESPN wrote:Still hearing that Terry Porter is heavily involved at Portland. Another name that is in the mix is former UNLV coach Dave Rice.

Goodman reads Pilot Nation! Hi, Jeff!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by piloted Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Dave rice was formerly an assistant to Dave Rose at BYU...I wonder if he is LDS and if that impacts the University hiring decision? I would think so...I know all BYU head coaches are required to be LDS

piloted
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum