Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do we go from here?

+31
PDX
pilotfan4life
Rochin54
Rob's Jacket
The Wingman
deprofundis
pilotdad1
2002Pilot
Urika
newpilotfan
jumpstop
piloted
KTodd
mikemac65
upbasketball544
Oldfan
blacksheep
Stonehouse
DTLegend
Woodless 2.0
bullwinkle
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
pilotram
Dean Murdoch
SoCalPilot
wrv
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
35 posters

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Where do we go from here? - Page 14 Empty Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 02 2016, 15:35

PilotNut wrote:This is the type of assistant that we would want under Porter... great news if true!
Hey, have you ever been mislead by anything posted on PilotNation? Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11312
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2016, 16:52

DoubleDipper wrote:
PilotNut wrote:This is the type of assistant that we would want under Porter... great news if true!
Hey, have you ever been mislead by anything posted on PilotNation?  Razz
Well, the list of coaches on PortlandPilots.com has not been updated, except to show the head coach as T.B.A.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Apr 03 2016, 19:47

Knowing the personalities of the prior and (almost)current coach, I imagine(hope) the two of them will discuss the current roster and potential recruits.

Transfers?

Maker?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 04 2016, 16:00

Assuming Malcolm's Porter's tuition and fees are covered as a result of being included within his father's contract or because his father is a university employee(saw the reference to 2 years), are there any NCAA rules which require that the scholarship count toward the total of 13?

1st team all state last year; averaged 22 points a game and one assumes he can shoot the three ball. He may be a contributing member of the squad.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 04 2016, 16:22

Not a lawyer, but if Mr and Mrs Porter pay for their son or sons to go to UP, it does NOT count against the 13.

Not sure the same would be true if TP were reimbursed by UP under the 2 year provision in the employee benefits package....that appears a little dodgy.

As up7587 wrote, TP can afford it!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 04 2016, 16:29

wrv wrote:Knowing the personalities of the prior and (almost)current coach, I imagine(hope) the two of them will discuss the current roster and potential recruits.
Rev has said it will happen!

TP cannot currently do any recruiting off campus as he first must study for and pass the NCAA mandated recruiting examination.....probably one of his first orders of business.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 04 2016, 17:11

[quote="DoubleDipper"]
wrv wrote:

TP cannot currently do any recruiting off campus as he first must study for and pass the NCAA mandated recruiting examination.....probably one of his first orders of business.

Possibly, but that doesn't mean no contact with recruits. There are certainly other certified folks around.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 04 2016, 17:12

DoubleDipper wrote:Not a lawyer, but if Mr and Mrs Porter pay for their son or sons to go to UP, it does NOT count against the 13.

Not sure the same would be true if TP were reimbursed by UP under the 2 year provision in the employee benefits package....that appears a little dodgy.

As up7587 wrote, TP can afford it!

Your are making it too difficult. Just give TP another hundred grand.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Apr 04 2016, 17:46; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Apr 04 2016, 17:19

I hope Coach Porter does better on his NCAA test than I just did. Failed the practice exam with a 60% score.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 04 2016, 17:32

Dean Murdoch wrote:I hope Coach Porter does better on his NCAA test than I just did. Failed the practice exam with a 60% score.

Did you have the compliance officer next to you when you took it?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 04 2016, 23:01

DoubleDipper wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:As DD reported above, Stanford hired UAB's coach, Jarod Haase. I wonder if Reveno will be in the running for an assistant spot.
I asked that question directly to Rev on Sunday.  I know he's interested, but I only received a non-committal answer in reply.

In response to the same question posed to Coach Jarod Haase:
"I have talked to him (Eric) along with a variety of other former players, former people with connections to Stanford and then my contacts all over. With him, to be honest with you, he's just a good guy that I've known that will also give me some groundwork about Stanford." 
I think all of us would love to see Rev land on his feet in a good position....certainly Palo Alto would be one of those spots.
Today UAB hired Haase's top assistant there as its head coach.  This is what Rev was hoping would happen as it clears the field and gives him a better shot at being an assistant at Stanford.  

Fingers crossed, Rev!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 05 2016, 14:46

Rev did not get an assistant coach position at Stanford.

He has two or three irons in the fire, but at the moment it would appear USF has the inside track on his services.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05 2016, 14:56

DoubleDipper wrote:Rev did not get an assistant coach position at Stanford.

He has two or three irons in the fire, but at the moment it would appear USF has the inside track on his services.
I'd prefer to see him in another conference, for sure. But he's the anti-Rex choice to complement Kyle Smith.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 06 2016, 05:18

A note of interest in this journey of change is the public comments of the players. While we have heard from only Wintering and Taylor, both seem positive, at least receptive to the change.

One aspect of the Reveno evaluation would have been his relationship with the players. Though I assume the administration would have obtained input from the players before its decision to terminate Reveno, it is not a factor that has been much reported and may have been significant.

Interesting too that we have not yet heard of forthcoming player defections. When Chavez and Holton left a number of players left.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Apr 06 2016, 08:58

UP produced a video recap of yesterday's activities, and there is footage of Porter meeting w the team in the locker room. It looks like the entire roster was there.

I also listened to Greg Crawford's podcast interview w Assistant AD Jason Brough, in which Jason said he thinks there will be few if any guys leaving the roster.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Apr 06 2016, 10:47

associate AD
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Apr 06 2016, 10:52

Hey Rev, we've got an assistant opening here in Fort Collins!
(edit: Leonard Perry joining Stoudamire at Pacific. Watch out....)

Last edited by pilotram on Wed Apr 06 2016, 10:58; edited 1 time in total
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Apr 06 2016, 10:56

NoPoNeighbor wrote: thinks there will be few if any guys leaving the roster.
Awhile ago, someone here summarized the status (stati?) of those that have left UP with remaining eligibility over the last few years. Several are not playing hoops or are no longer playing at the D1 level. I suspect that for most of the guys on the current roster, the grass isn't really greener anywhere else.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by piloted Wed Apr 06 2016, 14:46

agreed....sums up Reveno's main weakness...probably not a lot of other D1 transfer options for some of the players so why not stay for Porter!

piloted
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Apr 06 2016, 17:13

pilotram wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote: thinks there will be few if any guys leaving the roster.
Awhile ago, someone here summarized the status (stati?) of those that have left UP with remaining eligibility over the last few years. Several are not playing hoops or are no longer playing at the D1 level. I suspect that for most of the guys on the current roster, the grass isn't really greener anywhere else.

I think if you look into it, most of the guys who left were marginal recruits academically and left because they either couldn't cut it in the classroom or spiraled into questionable behavior because of it. It would be interesting to see where the pressure to bring those kids in came from or whether it was his idea to recruit those kids. I suspect his experience at Stanford didn't lead him down that path on his own.

The kids here are for the most part in pretty good academic shape, with one or two who have struggled a bit. And Reveno took great pride in graduating his players. It should also be mentioned that about 80+% of his players played pro someplace, and they did it with degrees in their pockets.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 06 2016, 18:05

The majority of players on this team are D1 recruits, but beyond Wintering there are some marginal D1 players.

Going forward, the initial question in determining our roster is whether Maker remains a Pilot or like his brother, who apparently wants to go from high school to pros, prefers not to play in college with all of its demands. Will Porter keep a roster spot for him or move on?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 07 2016, 10:14

Geezaldinho wrote:.....Reveno took great pride in graduating his players. It should also be mentioned that about 80+% of his players played pro someplace, and they did it with degrees in their pockets.
One such player is of course, Riley Barker.

Although Riley never had the opportunity to play to his full potential at UP due to two season ending injuries, he's having a great time playing in the Czech Republic.  Not only is Riley a fan favorite (helped by his big smile, easy going attitude, red hair, and 9 blocked shots in one of his first games), he helped his team to the playoffs in the Czech Basketball League for the first time in its history.....and he won the "Kooperativa Faktor."  

The Kooperativa Faktor is a competition during the season that rewards points to a player who drives the fans wild in a positive way doing such things as ally oop dunks, regular dunks, blocked shots, behind the back passes and other "tricks to circumvent the defender."  So, not only is "Big Red" a popular figure in the Czech Republic, he's now 50,000 Czech Korunas richer.
Where do we go from here? - Page 14 Previe10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 07 2016, 10:25

wrv wrote:.......Going forward, the initial question in determining our roster is whether Maker remains a Pilot or like his brother, who apparently wants to go from high school to pros, prefers not to play in college with all of its demands.
Not sure how the rumor got started that Thon Maker is Chier's brother....he's not.  Chier's only siblings are still living in South Sudan with their parents.  

Thon Maker has attended a number of preps schools as I recall, and I also remember reading he's accepted various sums of money from some who might have been attempting to exploit him for their own financial gain....and that could of course make him ineligible to play NCAA D1 basketball even though everyone has said the 7-1 South Sudanese/Australian would be a super-star.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 07 2016, 10:36

DoubleDipper wrote:

Thon Maker has attended a number of preps schools as I recall, and I also remember reading he's accepted various sums of money from some who might have been attempting to exploit him for their own financial gain....and that could of course make him ineligible to play NCAA D1 basketball even though everyone has said the 7-1 South Sudanese/Australian would be a super-star.

A pioneer in a new NCAA concept....

None and done.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2016, 12:16

Geezaldinho wrote:A pioneer in a new NCAA concept....

None and done.

There have been several players straight to the NBA from high school. LeBron, Kobe, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett . . .

If an athlete is not up to the academics of college, I see no reason to have him pretend to be a student (Chad Johnson e.g.) so he can play sports.

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum