Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT)

+15
Stonehouse
HRZag
wrv
writerpilot
blacksheep
pilotram
ShipstadPilot11
oh brody
PurplePrideTrumpet
Pilot2002
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
DTLegend
dholcombe
DoubleDipper
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 2 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT)

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:39 am

Had to look this one up.....tonight was the first time EVER that UP has beaten BYU in men's basketball. Before tonight, BYU led the series 9-0.

I don't know if the student section knew that factoid when they rushed the court for the second time in two home games, but I loved the way they way carried Bobby around the court on their shoulders.

It's great to see the student/athletes are actually good friends with many of the students....one doesn't see that everywhere.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11279
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 2 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT)

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:58 am

Pilots are now 4-4 in league and alone in 6th place, after 6 home games and 2 road games. 3-3 at home, 1-1 on the road. I think a split road trip is reasonable, although we wanted better. If you had told me before league we'd be 3-3 at home after playing GU, SMC and BYU, plus USF, SCU and UOP, I'd have said, "not surprising". How it happened though, that's a surprise!

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 am

BYU version of the game.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/byu-hoops-haws-has-career-night-end-in--ot/article_bca1ab48-84c1-11e3-b9a0-0019bb2963f4.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 am

Sometimes there are games that you just can’t forget — the ones so memorable that they’re burned into your brain. They stay with you for years afterward. You remember where you were when they happened. You remember the roller coaster of emotions you felt as you sat transfixed by the events unfolding before your very eyes.
As a fan, you either love those games or you hate them. Because after all of that investment — all that time, all that energy, all the emotion — your team is either going to come away the conquering hero or the heartbroken loser. There are no other options.

Read more at http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/01/24/byu-basketball/3165-byu-portland-3ot-haws-48-points-carlino-score-final/#i0eyYYhW6bV4s1FW.99

As painful as it was to watch a win slip away, this was still a fantastic game. There’s no other way around it.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:43 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Kudos to the UP Student Section tonight.....well done!!

The "YOUR MOMS ARE HOT" sign cracked me up. Juvenile humor at its best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 am

Just skimmed through the BYU forum.

It turns out all Tyler Haws can do is score...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:23 am

Requesting clarification. BYU (more specifically, Haws) went on a quick 8-0 run in the second half about six minutes in or so after the Pilots went up 11. After his first bucket, what in the world was the call that gave BYU the ball right back, leading to an immediate three by Haws?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Requesting clarification. BYU (more specifically, Haws) went on a quick 8-0 run in the second half about six minutes in or so after the Pilots went up 11. After his first bucket, what in the world was the call that gave BYU the ball right back, leading to an immediate three by Haws?
They called a foul on Bobby Sharp in the positioning for a rebound. He was screened from us, so couldn't see exactly what he did. Holding, I presume. Quick 5 point play for them.

I plan on going over the replay to get a better understanding of the calls. Then DoubleDipper and I can compare notes of our analyses.  Suspect 

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 am

You can get all the info you need in the O this morning.

Just checked the hard copy. Three paragraphs.

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 2 04b59b0abf8ac909ed1ca90cd208eb17
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:You can get all the info you need in the O this morning.

"Two teams compete in basketball.
Winner emerges.
Individuals from both teams contributed to the outcome.

PAC 12
NO 1 ARIZONA 69, COLORADO 57..."
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 am

up7587 wrote:Perspective is a funny thing. We were incensed about the refs tonight; I called it 5 against 8. Checking some comments on the ESPN site, and the BYU fans were bitching about no calls. Waa?  Shocked 

Becoming quite a tradition. Hey at least they weren't throwing garbage all over Chiles.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:You can get all the info you need in the O this morning.

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 2 04b59b0abf8ac909ed1ca90cd208eb17

Wait, they still print a hard copy of the O?!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:37 am

blacksheep wrote:

Not really.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:47 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Requesting clarification. BYU (more specifically, Haws) went on a quick 8-0 run in the second half about six minutes in or so after the Pilots went up 11. After his first bucket, what in the world was the call that gave BYU the ball right back, leading to an immediate three by Haws?
Hahaha, UP's biggest thug, Bobby Sharp extended an arm against 6-10/230 BYU super-star freshman, Eric Mika, and he went flying as if propelled by battering ram.

It's at the 15:06 mark in the second half....Mica's teammates gave him hardy congratulations for his performance when they got back to their bench.  I gotta admit, he did make it look good.

I'm really surprised the so many fouls were called in this game given that the length of the game caused two of the refs to miss their Thursday night flight back to Salt Lake City, I'm told.  Razz

Edit:  I just looked at more "tape" of the game.  At the 3:17 mark in the second half Alec is called for a foul as BYU #23 Halford goes stumbling past him while losing control of the ball and his body.....Alec swiped at the ball, but MISSED!

I think these refs will be given a scolding, but the truth is, nothing will change because the game has just become too fast for them.  I'd much prefer no-calls instead of calls that are purely guess work.  Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:24 pm

blacksheep wrote:

What is that grey, wavy thing with the black letters and pictures on it? I've never seen a screen that can bend like that! Wink 
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:33 pm

They have a longer article on O-Live. Of course, it was written by the UP staff.

Back to top Go down

Post by writerpilot Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 pm

For those who couldn't make it to the game and don't have cable (such as myself), theW.tv has a replay posted online: http://campusinsiders.com/network/wcc/videos/JraWxkazo31F97DgtdKuHnN42sg_4fFk.
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:55 pm

I heard the O compared to a close relative suffering dementia--it keeps diminishing because there are frequent subtractions from its resources: after all this loss it does not appear likely to make a comeback.

Far from deserving derision because of its inability to give proper coverage to the Pilots, it deserves note as a dieing, but formerly great Oregon institution, which is trying to hang on, but apparently with mixed results.

I have never cancelled my subscription partly because I know some former Pilots who happen to work there and partly I was hoping to slow the death spiral. I suspect it will be an online paper within the next couple of years.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by HRZag Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:09 pm

Congratulations Pilots. Great win for you all. Hope we can keep up our end of the weekend.

Watched the end of regulation and the OTs. Sure looked like you tried to give it away a couple of times, but your kids just did not quit. Great game.

HRZag
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 pm

The O was formerly great because it met the needs of the community. They forgot that it takes effort and resources to meet those needs. When you cut the resources you make the product less attractive.

The dementia is on the part of those out of state owners who think generic content will be enough to retain readership because they are the only game in town. It ain't so.

It is like any other business, if you don't provide the service you promise people go elsewhere. Now I look at the O mainly to see just how bad it has become.

I'm actually hoping its demise comes sooner. Perhaps then an opportunity will open up for someone who can provide local content.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm

There's just something so nice about watching Bobby hit that last there in double OT over and over and over and over...

BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 2 6cycs
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Stonehouse wrote:There's just something so nice about watching Bobby hit that last there in double OT over and over and over and over...
Haha, thanks Stoney.

What I really like, almost as much as the shot, is Alec flying off the bench.....he was into it!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:32 pm

The kid in section 8 beat him by 2 hops.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:46 pm

the person in the red sweater right behind the bench beat them both. Smile

I really like this picture of Bryce; it looks like he is looking at the camera, not his man.  It reminds me that during the game, Thomas fell to the floor under the basket, at the feet of the cameraman on a chair. He looked up right into the camera and smiled and waved. Hilarious.  Forgot about that in all the OT tension.
BYU @ Portland, Thursday 7:00 (ROOT) - Page 2 04b59b0abf8ac909ed1ca90cd208eb17[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:14 pm

The guy in the lower left really summed up my emotions. Hands on head wondering how we let it slip away to pure joy!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next