Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT)

+3
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
7 posters

Go down

Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT) Empty Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT)

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Pilots need a win here. Might have to do it without Wintering and K. Bailey, but this team has come too far to use injuries as an excuse to fold up like a cheap tent this road trip and I think you'll see a pretty good effort from them in both games.

Starting the game thread because I'm 4-2 when doing so this year. Would have been 5-1 were it not for the stupid buzzer beater in the USF game.

Go Pilots.

Back to top Go down

Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT) Empty Re: Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT)

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:10 pm

I've been looking for a tent.

There are no cheap tents anymore.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT) Empty Re: Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT)

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT) Tent10  rimshot
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11280
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:49 am

I watched the men practice yesterday.....they're getting after it, but don't expect KB or Alec to play this weekend.

KB is upbeat, but without going into details here, I'll be surprised if he plays in Las Vegas.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I watched the men practice yesterday.....they're getting after it, but don't expect KB or Alec to play this weekend.

KB is upbeat, but without going into details here, I'll be surprised if he plays in Las Vegas.

That's not good. We really don't have another 3 man on the team to replace KB. We are forced to either go small or go big.

We do have more options at the point, but none as good as Alec. I sure hope he gets healthy for Vegas.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:18 pm

blacksheep wrote:That's not good. We really don't have another 3 man on the team to replace KB.  We are forced to either go small or go big.

Twin towers with Nicholas at the 3?

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:27 pm

[quote="DeanMurdoch"]
blacksheep wrote:That's not good. We really don't have another 3 man on the team to replace KB.  We are forced to either go small or go big.

Twin towers with Nicholas at the 3?[/quote]

I like it and cant believe the coaches havent went that way before now (if they do). Might be interesting to see how Rhino does actually getting a screen instead of having to set them. That and it would force Holt to guard him which would allow a mismatch in the post.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:45 pm

pretty sad showing at buffalo wild wings. so far it's a party of two.

pilots are hanging tough though
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 pm

blacksheep wrote:pretty sad showing at buffalo wild wings. so far it's a party of two.

pilots are hanging tough though

Well, there a buch of folks watching a live pilot game on the bluff.

Sollar's second to last game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 pm

Well it was fun to see VDM, Barker and Ryno all on the court at the same time... we may see that again Saturday.

Losing KB and Wintering really has this season ending with a whimper... a win vs. Pacific, which is doable even with the short bench, would help right the ship before elimination play.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 pm

How positive am I allowed to be after a loss? I thought they played quite well tonight and battled hard against a good Gaels team. Loved the decision to go with a big lineup, which played to the Pilots' remaining strength and forced the Gaels to adjust.

They were right there all game long. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect this team to be able to come up with a win in Stockton on Saturday and nail down that 6 seed.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:54 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:They were right there all game long. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect this team to be able to come up with a win in Stockton on Saturday and nail down that 6 seed.
You might as well go ahead and start the UOP thread, Deaner.  It will be your last chance to get your average back up..... Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Good game , for 35 minutes. Pilots just went cold at the wrong time, and let SMC close it out with FTs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:56 am

Here's the updated standings. Pilots now in 7th place. Must win Saturday, and USD must lose, or else we play the Thursday play-in round in Vegas (ugh).

Gonzaga             14-3
Brigham Young    12-5
San Francisco      12-5
Saint Mary's        11-6
Pepperdine            8-9
San Diego             7-10
Portland                7-10
Pacific                   5-12
Santa Clara           5-12
Loyola Marymount 4-13

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:57 am

If Carr and Sharp had better shooting nights the Pilots might have been in it. I hope they’re hot on Saturday.

Is VDM likely to be all conference? Glad he is returning to the bluff next year.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Portland @ Saint Mary's, Thursday 6:00 (ROOT) Empty Last night at SMC

Post by gaelhoopfreak Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:18 am

Was at the game last night .
VDM is really good . Much improved from last year.
Is he only a sophomore ?
I thought he outplayed Waldow in many aspects.
You guys are 1 really good point guard
Away from being really tough next year.
Wintering didn't play. Is he that guy ?
Anyway, good game.
Freak

gaelhoopfreak
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:48 am

Thomas VDM is a junior. We will be senior laden next year, with 6 (VDM, Barker, Gerun, Bailey, Sharp, and Carr).

Alec Wintering has played really well for a true freshman. We are hoping for good things next year.

Back to top Go down