Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 16 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by PilotNut Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Oregon State's Malcolm Duvivier will graduate and transfer...

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/04/malcolm_duvivier_to_graduate_f.html

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 pm

PilotNut wrote:Oregon State's Malcolm Duvivier will graduate and transfer...
Doubtful the staff is interested in a one-and-done shooting guard.

I think we're more likely to see at least three JUCO transfers to even out the classes a bit....while leaving room for a longer term D1 transfer if one pops up.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11262
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Haven't seen this discussed too much yet... what is the board's feeling on filling all the scholarship slots we have open vs. leaving one or two open if the coaches feel like a player of the caliber they want isn't available. Just because Franklin and Malcolm *can* be walk-ons doens't mean they have to.

I know we want to be as competitive as possible next season, but if we good enough guys aren't available this spring, I think I'd rather keep a spot open for the next singing period rather than settling on someone the coaches aren't as excited about.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:45 pm

A lot has been made of UP's "17th best recruiting class in the nation," but here's another recruiting ranking that does not even mention UP as one of the top 26 classes among mid-majors:

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/4/6/15190916/sweet-16-mid-major-madness-recruiting-rankings-mitchell-robinson-star-prospect-shockers-midmajor

Four WCC programs are included: BYU, Gonzaga, LMU, Santa Clara.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Stonehouse wrote:

I know we want to be as competitive as possible next season, but if we good enough guys aren't available this spring, I think I'd rather keep a spot open for the next singing period rather than settling on someone the coaches aren't as excited about.

Agree with that. We just let or suggested to a number of young men on scholarship that they transfer because they were not, in one sense or another, of sufficient ability to contribute meaningfully in the future.

Still would not mind an offer to Geno West.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Breakfast with my "Casper Connection" this morning who tells me Josh McSwiggan has turned down a couple of offers in the last week or so....didn't know specifically what schools he turned down, but thought they were "both in California."

Two student-athletes on campus for official visits this weekend, but apparently neither is McSwiggan.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Haven't seen this discussed too much yet... what is the board's feeling on filling all the scholarship slots we have open vs. leaving one or two open if the coaches feel like a player of the caliber they want isn't available.
Oh absolutely, there should be no rush...13 players is enough, but if there are more high quality players who fit the program and want to come to UP, then grab them.

Coach Porter has said he's very comfortable playing just 7 to 8 players in a game, so if he were to have 15 players on the squad there could be heck of a lot of very good players sitting if the staff were to fill all the scholarships with one or both Porters walking-on.

Coach Porter has also said he would like to balance the classes on the team by signing JUCOs and he would like to sign a quality transfer from another program....he's got the scholarship availability to do both if he wants to.

In any case, it would be very wise to keep a scholarship or two available for a 3 or 4-star recruit who might discover UP is the place he'd like to play, and Terry Porter is the coach he'd like to play for.

Fingers crossed that PG Ty Cockfield, apparently visiting this weekend, is one of those guys who wants to learn from TP!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Here is something that may brighten your weekend despite the weather:

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein

JUCO wing Josh McSwiggan has committed to Portland, per a source.

Go Pilots. Fine recruiting class you have there Mr. Porter. Certainly is consistent with Josh turning down some offers from California.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Josh will see some serious minutes.

Posting again some of the bio info:

Josh's Bio from the UTEP basketball site:

2015-16
Sat out the season and will have three years of eligibility beginning with the 2016-17 campaign.
PRIOR TO UTEP
Member of the Great Britain National Team ... rated eighth in the country among players born in 1995 by Hoopsfix.com ... played for Charnwood College in Loughborough, Leicestershire ... was the team's 2012-13 Under-18 MVP and the 2013-14 Under-19 Coaches Player of the Year ... member of the Under-14 national championship team ... averaged 19.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.8 steals and 1.1 blocks during his final season at Charnwood College, which competes in the EABL (Elite Academy Basketball League) ... shot 55 percent from the field and 79 percent from the line ... won two gold medals in England's regional competition and was also a part of England's Under-16, Under-17, Under-18 and Under-20 squads ... participated in the Luol Deng Camp, earning MVP honors when he was 15 ... also recognized as the eighth-best player in the country at the Luol Deng Camp ... member of the Loughborough Student Riders club team that competed in Basketball England National League Division 2 ... in his final season with the Student Riders, collected 8.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.2 apg and 1.4 spg with a .450 field goal percentage and .800 free throw percentage.

PERSONAL
Full name is Daniel Joshua McSwiggan ... parents are Daniel and Natalie McSwiggan ... has one brother and one sister ... born 10/11/95 (Belfast, Ireland) ... undeclared major.

And a comment from the UTEP basketball discussion in which UTEP coach Floyd was asked about our prospect:

Tim Floyd on McSwiggan in March[2015?]

"I don't like him, I love him," Floyd said. "I think he's going to be terrific. Whoever beats him out better bring a sack lunch, because it's going to be a full day's work. He's a talent. He can shoot it, he can run and jump, he's an athlete and he can pass it."

Finally, this from the same board lamenting the transfer from UTEP:

"Wasn't but a couple of months ago that Cantu was touting McSwiggan and K. Jones and couldn't wait to see them on the floor next season. . . ."

And a link: https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/josh-mcswiggan-gone.5640/

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 pm

How many years eligibility does he have?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:22 pm

I think he has two. He redshirted I think with UTEP, then used one year at Caspar. He lost a year because the NCAA would not recognize his English school work, or something along those lines.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Further confirmation of McSwiggan commitment from Daschel of the Oregonian, who also reports that Gabe Taylor is leaving the program. Pilot program is changing significantly. From the article:

McSwiggan, a native of London, originally signed with Texas-El Paso in 2015, but was denied eligibility by the NCAA. McSwiggan transferred to Casper College, where he averaged 13.6 points and 5.1 rebounds this past season.

McSwiggan had offers from Fresno State, Pacific, Santa Barbara and Missouri State, and several Pacific-12 schools had shown interest in him of late. McSwiggan, who played for Great Britain's national team prior to signing at UTEP, has three years of eligibility remaining.

Impressive recruiting competition for McSwiggan. This staff can recruit. Certainly better than than the waning days of the last staff. Pilots will have a whole new look next year.

Link: http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2017/04/former_utep_guard_josh_mcswigg.html

Disappointed to see Gabe leave . . .may be a link between the minutes McSwiggan to receive and Gabe's departure. Now we still have 4 scholarships available, assuming one for McSwiggan.

More huge news, a 7'0" Nigerian center is visiting per Daschel of the O, Usman Haruna. Use the link.

Another link regarding the Nigerian center. Knows how to dunk and appears active: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d67CVdlMZlc

Most comprehensive article regarding Pilot recruiting for some time. Thank you Mr. Daschel.

DD: I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not the originating source of all this information.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Sorry to see Gabe go. Tough to see how a 6'7" shooting guard will take minutes from a power forward.

The clips of Haruna show a 7+' center who likes to dunk and never misses shots. If he can rebound and play defense we might want him.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:12 am

wrv wrote:DD: I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not the originating source of all this information.
Haha no, but I can confirm that all the information, including the names of our visitors this weekend, is correct.

Had a lengthy chat with Gabe last week when I spoke to Alec M, Chier, and Xavier, and he indicated at that time he was probably going to leave the program, but not necessarily leave UP.....and I don't know if he's decided that yet.  Gabe does not want to be defined by his basketball ability only, and has many other interests besides basketball that he would like to pursue during his remaining time in college.

At the Chiles Center this evening for a scholarship fund raising event when who should walk up and introduce himself, but Ty Cockfield and his dad.  They were on their way to meet with the AD and just went out of their way to say hi....and under NCAA rules, that's all I could do in return....say hi and "welcome to Portland."

Did not meet Usman (Uzzzz) Haruna, but I'm really looking forward to talking to him (if and when he begins classes next month) because I advised and flew with the Nigerian Air Force in his hometown of Karuna, back in the late '80's.

Yeah, my "Casper Connection" did tell me this morning that Josh McSwiggan would be calling Coach Porter today with the good news.  There were a number of reasons Josh decided to come to UP, but a big contributor to his decision is that his girlfriend from his high school days in England will be playing for former UP Coach Sean Kelly at Concordia-Portland.  I believe I am correct in saying Josh is currently only eligible for two years of playing, but can earn a third year by having a required number of college credits earned by the beginning of his senior year.  From what I know, that should not be a problem.

I guess there are other student-athletes, including high school, JUCO, and D1 transfers who are being talked to, so we'll just have to see what shakes-out.....exciting times on the Bluff.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:42 am

Exciting times, indeed... this is the best recruiting information and list of prospects I think I have ever seen.  Let's hope that the Coaches can land these guys.  

Having the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland this weekend, and a WCC team in the National Championship game have to be good selling points... Go Pilots!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:21 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

At the Chiles Center this evening for a scholarship fund raising event when who should walk up and introduce himself, but Ty Cockfield and his dad.  They were on their way to meet with the AD and just went out of their way to say hi....and under NCAA rules, that's all I could do in return....say hi and "welcome to Portland."

Too bad I missed him. I guess I was too busy showing all those smart UP grads how to play poker!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:19 pm

blacksheep wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:At the Chiles Center this evening for a scholarship fund raising event when who should walk up and introduce himself, but Ty Cockfield and his dad.  They were on their way to meet with the AD and just went out of their way to say hi....and under NCAA rules, that's all I could do in return....say hi and "welcome to Portland."
Too bad I missed him. I guess I was too busy showing all those smart UP grads how to play poker!
Well done, blacksheep, especially for a guy who was sick in bed all week and forgot to register for the event. Rolling Eyes

First place while playing against some pretty darn good poker players is impressive....and a lot more fun than with that Las Vegas crowd.

The most important part of the evening was creating good relations in the community and raising some $,$$$ for scholarships for next year's seniors.  BTW, this year's recipient (for next year) works in the MBB office.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:45 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:2017-18 PROJECTED ROSTER
Scholarship players in regular font
Presumed walk-ons in italics
Reported active recruits in (parentheses)

PG: Johnson, Hallinan, Ferguson, Walker, (Cockfield)
SG: Tyson, Jackson, F. Porter, Monson, M. Porter
SF: Maker, Fahrensohn, (Artest III)
PF: Taylor, Stone, (Davenport), Diabate
C: Hartwich, Smoyer
Hey, NoPo, how come you're not keeping up??? Razz

I understand these players that have been on the board at one time or another, are NOT coming to UP:
1. Davenport
2. Artest III
3. Mawien
4. Dunbar
5. Rodriquez
6. Freeman
7. James
8. Sorenson
9. Gibson

But I also understand UP is looking at a "few" D1 transfers (including a grad transfer), in addition to JUCO and high school players.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:14 pm

DD's comment about a graduate transfer spurred this thought...

Here is where I come in and say that UP would really benefit, in general, from a sport management degree. The only program in the state is at Oregon and only focuses on marketing and Nike. UP, on the other hand, is in the largest economy with Nike, adidas, Under Armour, Columbia, CSN-NW, several professional sports teams, several colleges who could use athletic interns, etc., etc., etc.

Anyway, the benefit to athletics is that grad transfers could happen if someone wants a master's in sport management that isn't offered at their previous school. In general, it would bring it tuition money and students to the university.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:31 pm

PilotNut wrote:Exciting times, indeed... this is the best recruiting information and list of prospects I think I have ever seen.  Let's hope that the Coaches can land these guys.

Might we add that that these likely are the best group of recruits we have seen in years. Though we need to await there appearance in uniform, it looks like we are bringing in the talent to compete in the WCC. We will be young. But things may well be turning a corner.

Anyone care to compare this group to other Pilot recruiting classes. This class appears to be bringing the goods.

Go Pilots. Keep the momentum going Coach Porter and Coach Cantu, Coach Johnson and Coach Knudson.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:48 pm

wrv wrote:
PilotNut wrote:Exciting times, indeed... this is the best recruiting information and list of prospects I think I have ever seen.  Let's hope that the Coaches can land these guys.

Might we add that that these likely are the best group of recruits we have seen in years. Though we need to await there appearance in uniform, it looks like we are bringing in the talent to compete in the WCC. We will be young. But things may well be turning a corner.

Anyone care to compare this group to other Pilot recruiting classes. This class appears to be bringing the goods.

Go Pilots. Keep the momentum going Coach Porter and Coach Cantu, Coach Johnson and Coach Knudson.
I appreciate the optimism, but I don't understand the basis for it. What is the evidence that these recruits are better than previous ones? Is there anything other than that HoopScoop ranking (which was based only on fall signees) that leads you to think these are better recruits? I haven't seen any other recruiting service or ranking comment on UP's recruiting class. It also doesn't seem that we've been beating out better competition to get these guys. We're still pulling in largely unknown, unproven players.

The only data point that looks at all impressive (other than the HoopScoop ranking, which I have zero basis for evaluating and which is contradicted by the Mid-Major Madness rankings) is Walker's high school stats. However, it's not as though we had to beat out Pac-12 schools for his services. I know of no evidence that the other recruits are any better than the Pilots' current/past players.

I wouldn't be surprised if these guys do turn out to be higher-level players than we are accustomed to... but I don't think there is much evidence out there to support that assertion at this point.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:2017-18 PROJECTED ROSTER

PG: Johnson, Hallinan, Ferguson, Walker, (Cockfield)
SG: Tyson, Jackson, F. Porter, Monson, M. Porter
SF: Maker, Fahrensohn, (Artest III)
PF: Taylor, Stone, (Davenport), Diabate
C: Hartwich, Smoyer
Here's your update, DD:

2017-18 PROJECTED ROSTER

PG: Walker, M. Porter, (Cockfield)
SG: Tyson, Jackson, F. Porter
SF: Fahrensohn, McSwiggan
PF: Stone, Diabate
C: Hartwich, Smoyer, (Haruna)

Only four returning players. One returning (part-time) starter.
Only nine scholarships spoken for at this point.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:02 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
wrv wrote:

I appreciate the optimism, but I don't understand the basis for it. What is the evidence that these recruits are better than previous ones? Is there anything other than that HoopScoop ranking (which was based only on fall signees) that leads you to think these are better recruits? I haven't seen any other recruiting service or ranking comment on UP's recruiting class. It also doesn't seem that we've been beating out better competition to get these guys. We're still pulling in largely unknown, unproven players.

The only data point that looks at all impressive (other than the HoopScoop ranking, which I have zero basis for evaluating and which is contradicted by the Mid-Major Madness rankings) is Walker's high school stats. However, it's not as though we had to beat out Pac-12 schools for his
services. I know of no evidence that the other recruits are any better than the Pilots' current/past players. Telling last year's starters that their playing time would be diminished
I wouldn't be surprised if these guys do turn out to be higher-level players than we are accustomed to... but I don't think there is much evidence out there to support that assertion at this point.

The offers reported for McSwiggan suggest a level of recruiting uncommon for our recruits until the Porter era. If you read the Oregonian article you would see there is evidence regarding McSwiggan, contrary to your suggestion that none exists. If you read the comments regarding McSwiggan by his former coach Floyd you would realize that he was highly lauded before he went to Caspar where he was an effective player. Fahrensohn was recruited by Hawaii and others were interested--admittedly not a long list but an indication that there was interest from other schools--the only indication we can really track until the players step on the court. Walker committed early so not a lot recruiting post his commitment.  I will trust the staff here, who apparently think highly of him and the remaining prospective athletes. We will see if Stone warrants his offer. Telling starters this year that their playing time will be diminished is yet another indication. Hoop Scoop does not laud Pilot recruits every year--they are not shills of the coaching staff--someone there had to consider the caliber of the recruits.

Pessimism about this program is warranted given the long history of losing. There is evidence that this staff is recruiting now a higher caliber of recruit than their predecessors were before they left. Proclaiming that there is no evidence is wrong, but as I indicated, we need to wait until the players are in uniform.

Last edited by wrv on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if these guys do turn out to be higher-level players than we are accustomed to... but I don't think there is much evidence out there to support that assertion at this point.
I agree.  Too often we've been optimistic about a recruiting class only to find they were not actually WCC caliber, they did not jell or fit in as a group, or they just weren't coached-up as well as they could have been.

All five (seven counting the Porters) newcomers show great potential from what we've seen and heard, but I think we've all been disappointed so often it is only natural to remain skeptical until seeing the players come together in mid-November.

For the Pilots to be successful they are going to need great poise and leadership from the point guard position, and as much as I like JoJo, it is still very difficult for a freshman to come in and takeover a team.  I firmly believe the staff needs to recruit a JUCO or a grad transfer if the team is to jell quickly.  If the roster is to have 15 players instead of 13 or 14, I wouldn't mind  if there were three freshman point guards (at least one of whom could redshirt), and one junior or senior starter.  

Once again, fingers crossed that Ty Cockfield decides to join the team....I learned today that he actually has over 20 offers that he is considering.  Portland is his first official visit, let's hope it's his last. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:39 pm

My comment was based on who we are recruiting against... we are starting to go against traditionally bigger and better programs.

I absolutely agree that I am not going to get too excited until we start getting some wins, as we have been let down for decades. But, there is reason for optimism if we can land a few of these types over a couple cycles.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next