Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2013-14 Season

+6
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
Pilot2002
PurplePrideTrumpet
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The 2013-14 Season - Page 5 Empty Re: The 2013-14 Season

Post by dholcombe Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:04 pm

I don't think you can build a team with transfers. However, it's a decent option to even out the class sizes I think. It's either that or we're going to need to redshirt some guys.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Don't look now, but we just clinched a .500 regular season record.  Nice to see and more than I had been expecting out of the year.  Although we have mostly wrapped up a top 6 finish, it would be great to finish in the top half of the conference, maybe even as high as third.  I thought the 9th place prediction by the coaches was a bit unfair, but I didn't see this performance coming.  Just reinforces what a solid coaching staff we have.  Ahem.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:35 am

We're having a great time talking about all the potential ways that the WCC standings could shake out, and all the tie-break scenarios. Just imagine the fun we'd be having if we were fans of a Big Sky school! Their standings are CRAZY!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/conferences/teams/_/id/5/big-sky-conference

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Hahahahaha…..the broadcasters of the USF vs. SCU game agreed that Rex Walters should probably be the coach of the year in the WCC. Why?  “He’s done so well even with so many player transfers and so much turmoil to deal with.”

Do you disagree? I think we all thought USF would be headed for a down year after Doolin left and instead they're sitting in a tie for third place in the WCC. If you look at the season in a vacuum, seems like ol' Rex has done a decent job with the Dons...but should the fact that the USF program is one giant revolving door count against him in the vote?

Maybe everyone will just vote for Few.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Do you disagree?......but should the fact that the USF program is one giant revolving door count against him in the vote?
I'm old! Yes and Yes!

I acknowledge that USF's W/L record is much better than the team's fans expected, but I just can't condone Walters' methods.  As a kid I was a big fan of USF, and I understand this is a different era.....but Walters' apparent lack of loyalty to the kids (and parents) he promised so much during the recruiting process is deplorable.

I assume senior Cole Dickerson will graduate this spring, and when he does, I believe he will be the first recruit brought in by Walters' that remained with the team and graduated.

Off the top of me head I can only think of 9 other WCC coaches I would vote for other than Rex Walters, regardless of USF's W/L record.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:59 pm

I would also have a hard time voting for Walters, based on his behavior on the sideline.  The way he cusses, swears and berates his players and refs is out of line, IMO, and an embarassment to that University.  

I have to think his methods are going to backfire in a big way at some point...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:08 am

I like looking at Lunardi's bracketology...new one is out today -

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Gonzaga's an 8 seed and BYU is back in according to him, but barely...Cougars are the last at-large team in the field. Wouldn't mind seeing a BYU win tonight to help the WCC's chances of being a two-bid conference.

Of course, I also wouldn't mind seeing a BYU loss on Saturday even if that's the nail in BYU's at-large coffin!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 pm

It's official...Rex Walters would have my vote for COY if I had one. 7 WCC wins last year, up to 11 this year with games at Pepperdine and at LMU still on the docket.

Might not like him but at the end of the day you're measured by W/L and USF certainly has the wins this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:34 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:It's official...Rex Walters.......

Might not like him but at the end of the day you're measured by W/L and USF certainly has the wins this year.
Hmm, I don't think the nuns who taught me would agree.....not if you're to make it to heaven, that is.   tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:30 am

So it comes down to the final weekend. For the Pilots to finish in 6th place they will need to win at least one more game. If USD beats BYU, the Pilots will need to win both games.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:24 pm

KenPom still has UP 5th in the WCC, at 105, USF and COY Rex moved up to 99. USD is 6th at 136. UOP is 8th, at 148. Sure need a win there, and BYU to take USD. Of course, beating SMC works, too.

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:23 am

We need to beat SMC and Pacific. We don't find out until Saturday if USD beats BYU, but at this point we must assume they can in which case we have to win out.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5