Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland NCAA violation

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Portland NCAA violation - Page 2 Empty Re: Portland NCAA violation

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I trust the good people in the compliance office keep a close eye on how much the Pilots are eating (I think I've committed a violation every time I've had the pregame pasta).

http://deadspin.com/pasta-in-excess-and-other-self-reported-ncaa-violati-1526127596
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm old!   The "violation" reporting by OU only serves to make a (bigger) mockery of the entire compliance system and calls into question why compliance offices at many universities even exist or are staffed.  IMO, the reporting of violations that are not actually violations just serves to obfuscate the underlying cheating and blatant rule violations by the top NCCA programs.

Who/what is the NCCA?  I suppose it is the member institutions policing themselves (kind of like the fox guarding the hen house)….but it would seem the BIGGER the school and the more money/revenue is at stake, the smaller the oversight.

Is it finally time to go back to the “good old days” when under the table payments and fictitious jobs were given to "student"-athletes to keep them in school and eligible?   If the NCAA actually took action against the BIG schools and their transgressions, it would be one thing, but to turn a blind-eye to significant infractions while declaring the innocent athlete at the small schools ineligible to play is ludicrous, and some might say, constitutionally illegal.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11314
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:53 am

DoubleDipper wrote:IIf the NCAA actually took action against the BIG schools and their transgressions, it would be one thing, but to turn a blind-eye to significant infractions while declaring the innocent athlete at the small schools ineligible to play is ludicrous, and some might say, constitutionally illegal.
Exhibit "A" in this morning's news: NCAA ruling on Ben Wetzler feeds national debate on 'no agent' rule
http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/02/oregon_state_baseball_wetzler.html
Portland NCAA violation - Page 2 Wetzle10
Don't expect anyone around here to root for the Phillies anytime soon! No
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:47 am

He could be a rich man based on a previous case the NCAA lost when the " agent" was an attorney.

The player got three quarters of a million dollars from the group in Indianapolis.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-20/ncaa-crushes-another-college-star.html

According to Taylor Branch’s account, an NCAA investigator showed up at Oliver’s home the night before he was scheduled to pitch in a regional finals game that would determine whether Oklahoma State qualified for the College World Series. The investigator questioned him and his father, a truck driver, until after midnight. Hours before the game, school officials told Oliver he couldn’t take the mound.

Then Oliver’s case gets interesting: He sued the NCAA, arguing -- with close-to-irrefutable logic -- that the no-agent rule violates a player’s right to counsel. (Many agents and representatives are, in fact, lawyers.) An Ohio judge agreed. He struck down the NCAA bylaw, and ordered the NCAA to reinstate Oliver.

The NCAA appealed, eventually settling with Oliver for $750,000. As part of their agreement, the judge’s order was voided. The no-agent rule survived.

If the NCAA doesn't back down, Wetzler should sue too. He could start by calling Oliver’s lawyer, Richard Johnson. “The NCAA can’t have rules that are arbitrary and capricious,” Johnson told me. “A rule is arbitrary and capricious if it serves no purpose.”

It seems an unincorporated business association can't deny anyone the right to access to counsel.

Pesky sixth amendment.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 pm

I hope Wetzler sues the stuffing out of the NCAA....it would be nice for a student-athlete to recoup some of the money the NCAA has amassed from the sweat and blood of mostly underage student-athletes.  Evil or Very Mad 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2