Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN

+6
NoPoNeighbor
DTLegend
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN Empty Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Um, guys, there's a game coming up against LMU......and although everyone is feeling down due to the Pilots lack of success this season, the men on the court still deserve our full support.

Here's a bit of a scouting report:

The Lions are 8-14 overall, 1-8 in the WCC after falling to San Diego (69-68 in OT) on Monday. Junior Anthony Ireland continues to pace the Lions at 19.8 points per game, ranking second in the WCC.

Senior Ashley Hamilton is having his best season as a Lion averaging 14.1 ppg and 6.8 rpg in his final season. He ranks 12th and 8th, respectively, within the WCC in scoring and rebounds.

During their current six-game skid that started against UP on Jan 12, the Lions have shot a combined 33% from the field. It’s been even more of a struggle from long range, as the Lions have shot just 25% from behind the arc.

Since the series between LMU and UP started in 1954 the Lions hold a 45-42 edge. Last season the Lions earned the first sweep of the Pilots since 2001, but Portland took the first meeting of 2013, 68-64 at Gersten Pavilion. The Lions' 76-62 win in Portland on Feb. 9, 2012 was the first at the Chiles since that 2001 season.

In the first meeting between LMU and UP this year, the Pilots erased an 11-point halftime deficit to earn a 68-64 win at Gersten Pavilion. The Pilots, who entered the game shooting just 30% in two WCC games, shot 54.7% from the field, including a 64.5% clip in the second half to come back for the win. UP out rebounded LMU, 43-19, and outscored the Lions 36-16 in the paint.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11262
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN Empty Re: Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Any injury updates?

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN Empty Re: Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm

LMU Coach Max Good, in front of the Nike employee store, talks about the game tomorrow night....

http://www.lmulions.com/allaccess/?media=367757
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:03 pm

up7587 wrote:Any injury updates?
I believe no news is good news with regard to injury reports.

Everyone has been practicing, including Tanner, so the Pilots should be at "full" strength (minus David, Dorian, Timmy...)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Pilots Host LMU Thursday, Pepperdine Saturday

Portland Pilots (8-16, 1-8 ) vs. LMU Lions (8-14, 1-8 )
Date: Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013
Tip-off: 7:00 p.m. (PST)
Arena: Chiles Center (4,852)
Television: CSN-NW, CSN Bay Area
Radio: 800 AM
Overall Series: 41-46
At UP: 25-16
At LMU: 14-25
At Neutral: 2-5
Last: POR 68, LMU 64 (Jan. 12, 2013 at LMU)

GAME INFORMATION
• Portland returns to the Chiles Center for a two-game homestand this week.
• The Pilots welcome Loyola Marymount on Thursday at 7 p.m. and then Pepperdine on Saturday at 1 p.m.
• Thursday will feature the popular Halftime Mile promotion as Pilot track runners and other elite distance competitors will do a mile race at halftime on the Chiles Center upper level track.
• Saturday’s game is Military Appreciation Day as the 204th Army Band will be on hand. All active and retired military personnel will receive free admission to the game.
• Tickets are still available by calling the Pilot Box Office at (503) 943-7525.

GAME COVERAGE
• Thursday’s game will be aired live on Comcast SportsNet Northwest and CSN Bay Area with Scott Lynn, Michael Holton and Jill Montgomery calling the action.
• Saturday’s game is the WCC Game of the Week and will air live on CSN California and Time Warner Cable SportsNet, and delayed on ROOT Sports, with as Ari Wolfe and Dan Belluomini provide the commentary.
• All Portland basketball games will be on the radio live on True Talk 800 AM with Bill Johnson calling the play-by-play and a 30-minute pregame show.

ABOUT LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
• The Lions (8-14, 1-8 WCC) have lost six straight dating back to Portland’s 68-64 victory at Gersten Pavilion on Jan. 12.
• LMU dropped a heartbreaker on Monday at home versus San Diego in overtime. USD’s Chris Anderson went coast-to-coast and made a twisting layup with 0.2 seconds remaining to give the Toreros the victory.
• Junior PG Anthony Ireland is second in the WCC in scoring at 19.8 ppg.
• LMU also lost to No. 7 Gonzaga 88-43 last Thursday, but the previous four losses were all by single digits. The Lions lone WCC win was a 84-80 home victory over Santa Clara.
• Senior F Ashley Hamilton averages 14.1 points, while junior Ayodeji Egbeyemi adds 10.9 per game.
• Max Good is in his fifth season as head coach with the Lions.
• Good and the Lions were picked to finish fourth in the WCC by the league’s head coaches in the preseason poll.

Any PN posters involved in the halftime mile? geek (I'm just wondering if I should have the AED handy...)

Hmmm, actually, how about a PN Halftime Beer Mile?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Im going to try and chug a pitcher before they finish it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Im going to try and chug a pitcher before they finish it.

I bet the runners are fast, you may want to use a funnel. Give me Beer!

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:Im going to try and chug a pitcher before they finish it.

I like how you think. This could be a new tradition! drunken

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:24 am

Hmmm, actually, how about a PN Halftime Beer Mile?

The Beer Mile is one of the most difficult running endevours I have ever attempted. Granted I ran it 5 years past my running prime, and with a college xc team, but still it was brutal. I mean that in the best way possible.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:04 am

Who runs while drinking beer? Where do you put the pretzels?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 am

According to LMU's game notes, freshman Marin Mornar (6-9, 190) will make his second start of the year tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:03 am

I've gotta think that Leykam will have a tough time rationalizing keeping Reveno and Co. around if the Pilots can't win these next two games at home against our fellow WCC bottom-dwellers.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I've gotta think that Leykam will have a tough time rationalizing keeping Reveno and Co. around if the Pilots can't win these next two games at home against our fellow WCC bottom-dwellers.

Speaking of winning the next two games at home....how do the tiebreaks work in the standings?

Cause if they actually DO win the next two games, PU and LMU might very well go the rest of the way without winning another (besides when they play each other next week). That would put both Portland and Pepperdine at 3-13 if the Waves win that one at home...assuming the first tiebreaker is head-to-head, that's tied. So then what?

Actually a decent chance to avoid the damned 8/9 game if they can actually hold court this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

Perspective - our State of the Program thread is now 17 pages long with some quality discussion but generally speaking, seems like most want the ship to be righted with the current staff remaining in charge.

LMU Lions Den not only has a "Coach Good, Resign or Be Fired" thread but also an "Available Coaching List" thread. They're downright ornery over there. IronLions I see you lurking - thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 am

Head to head is the first... making tonight's LMU game so important. If we hold a season sweep over the Lions, they would have to not just tie us, but surpass us in the win column to get a better seed.

The reverse is true for Pepp; if we lose, they hold the 1st tie breaker, and we have to win an extra game to surpass them (very difficult).

I believe the next tie breaker is still results vs. the rest of the conference, starting at the top. So, for example if we did end up tied with LMU, our W-L and their W-L vs. the #1 seed are compared. If there is still a tie, then you compare results vs. the #2, #3, etc., until the tie is broken. If it can't be broken that way, I believe the final tiebreaker is RPI.

LMU holds an advantage there, as they have defeated SCU. Pepp's 2 wins to date are us and @LMU.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. LMU Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSN Empty Lions

Post by IronLions Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 pm

We have had a tough season...injuries, depth issues, poor shooting etc. The season took a ominous turn when CJ who was expected to contribute 10-15 ppg went out with knee injury in the fall. Chase Flint our starting 2 guard has been out since start of January.

Fans are obviously frustrated to be back down at bottom of league after coming off a 21 win season. I don't see Coach Good being fired. We have five additions that should make us competitive next year, and we only lose Ashley Hamilton. If with this full roster Coach Good does not do well then a change could be made.

I stopped going on our message board a while back. Most of the people on there are pretty reasonable but there is a guy who is a raving lunatic that makes it unbearable. He has been already banned under two user names but keeps coming back like a fungus... I don't think in 6 years he has one positive thing. Life is too short

Anyway, tonight should be a good game. We both obviously need this win badly. Kevin Bailey will play well for the Pilots that is for certain...he always steps up against LMU. The match up to watch is Ryan vs. Ashley.

IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:57 pm

PilotNut wrote:I believe the next tie breaker is still results vs. the rest of the conference, starting at the top. So, for example if we did end up tied with LMU, our W-L and their W-L vs. the #1 seed are compared. If there is still a tie, then you compare results vs. the #2, #3, etc., until the tie is broken. If it can't be broken that way, I believe the final tiebreaker is RPI.

So even if the Pilots sweep this weekend, if Pepperdine wins over LMU then it would all come down to RPI...which as of Monday was Pepperdine 200, Portland 221. Hmm, advantage Pilots? You'd think two wins would boost that RPI a decent amount.

Say what you want about the 8/9 game but at least it gives the cellar dwellers something to play for late in the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 pm

IronLions wrote:I stopped going on our message board a while back. Most of the people on there are pretty reasonable but there is a guy who is a raving lunatic that makes it unbearable. He has been already banned under two user names but keeps coming back like a fungus... I don't think in 6 years he has one positive thing. Life is too short

That's a shame - thanks for the angle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:48 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
IronLions wrote:I stopped going on our message board a while back. Most of the people on there are pretty reasonable but there is a guy who is a raving lunatic that makes it unbearable. He has been already banned under two user names but keeps coming back like a fungus... I don't think in 6 years he has one positive thing. Life is too short

That's a shame - thanks for the angle.

Too bad.

Hey! You could hang around here. It's always bright and sunny. sunny
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:23 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Hey! You could hang around here. It's always bright and sunny. sunny
Yea, as you can tell by Geezer's avatar.... Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Humph!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Well, hell yeah. Shot the lights out.

Welcome back, Tanner. Nice to see him catch fire.

Maybe someone can have a talk with the boys about forcing quick shots late in the game with a lead!

Pretty nice confidence booster heading into the Pepperdine game.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 pm

The Pilots looked much more confident tonight... then again, we were playing the other conference cellar dweller.

It was great (and intriguing) to see Tanner play with so much confidence. Lets hope that we see "this" Tanner again on Saturday... we haven't seen back to back games (or even games in the same month) from him. How about Nicholas and all the 3's?!! Shocked

Kudos to the folks in the floor bleachers on the Pilot Bench end of the floor... they really got the crowd going in the second half... it is contagious! The students could learn from them.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Very good ball movement tonight….the plan was to go fast and wear down LMU, a team that normally goes only two deep on the bench, and it worked. The Lions, and especially Anthony Ireland, were gassed toward the end of the game and just couldn’t keep up with the fresher Pilots who played all available player except one.

It’s easy to point to Ryan’s, Tanner’s, and Thomas’ play and shooting, but Derrick definitely led the team tonight…..it was most obvious when David and Bryce filled in for him for moments. Six points, three turnovers, and 11 assists if VERY acceptable for a UP point guard.

Sure, the-up tempo play resulted in too many turnovers for UP, but in the end, with PILOTS WIN emblazoned in purple on the big screen, there was no sense recalling any negatives…..the positives won tonight!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Mid-game banter between me and my Gaels fan buddy -

Him: "Hey, that Oskars is okay. Is that how you say his name?"
Me: "Nah, the S is silent."
Him: "Hey, that Oh-car is okay."

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next