Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm

+7
Geezaldinho
Rob's Jacket
PurplePrideTrumpet
DoubleDipper
blacksheep
PilotNut
ShipstadPilot11
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm Empty Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:57 am

Next up for the Pilots is a reeling USF squad on the road. The Dons have lost their first 3 WCC games:

@ Pepperdine (61-77)
vs LMU (76-77)
@ BYU (56-81)

USF's points allowed have been pretty consistent in WCC play, granted it's an insignificant sample size.

Considering that the Dons were pegged to finish 4th in the preseason poll, it would be great to get a win while they're down, before they potentially come alive.

It doesn't look like this game is going to be televised.

I'd love to say more but work beckons.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm Empty Re: Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 am

I believe the game at USF on Thursday is the one and only WCC game that is not televised, and that is unfortunate, as I would like to see how we look on the road now that we have a couple wins undernearth us... I guess we will have to rely on Bill Johnson and Jason Brough to be our eyes!

USF plays @SMC tonight at 7pm, with a tape delay broadcast at 1am Tuesday morning on CSN-NW. Sleep

USF could very well come into our game Thursday with an 0-4 WCC record, so they could either implode or explode... but you know they will be "extra anxious" to get a win. If we continue to play the better defense we saw this weekend, we should remain competitive regardless.

The new 9-team WCC schedule has some interesting quirks; USF only played one game last weekend (lost @BYU Saturday), but now has to play @SMC tonight, against us Thursday, and hosts Pepperdine Saturday 1/14... 4 games in 8 days! The game tonight is @SMC, so it will be a full house... but scheduling up against the BCS Championship game tonight is unfortunate...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 am

PilotNut wrote:I guess we will have to rely on Bill Johnson and Jason Brough to be our eyes!

There appears to be a video link at usfdons.com, so maybe you could upgrade to a grainy internet feed.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

PilotNut wrote:I guess we will have to rely on Bill Johnson and Jason Brough to be our eyes!
Well, Bill and Jason are a good combination of the old and young, but not to be outdone, DJ Sherman and I will be at the game too. I'll have to check if the students are back at USF, but that's where I plan to sit.

DJ will have to give you his impressions of the game, as I will head straight to the Condor Club and Carol Doda after the game. (Look her up young PN regulars, the Condor Club was where many of us spent a great deal of time in the '60s). afro
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11311
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:00 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Well, Bill and Jason are a good combination of the old and young, but not to be outdone, DJ Sherman and I will be at the game too. I'll have to check if the students are back at USF, but that's where I plan to sit.

DJ will have to give you his impressions of the game, as I will head straight to the Condor Club and Carol Doda after the game. (Look her up young PN regulars, the Condor Club was where many of us spent a great deal of time in the '60s). afro

I thought my recap of the Pepperdine game was good but then I read DJ Sherman's trip to UC Davis. It rhymes:

http://www.midmajority.com/p/2427
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:50 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote: I thought my recap of the Pepperdine game was good but then I read DJ Sherman's trip to UC Davis.
It rhymes:http://www.midmajority.com/p/2427
Haha, that was great! What a talent. But man, that must have given him a headache. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm

PilotNut wrote:The new 9-team WCC schedule has some interesting quirks; USF only played one game last weekend (lost @BYU Saturday), but now has to play @SMC tonight, against us Thursday, and hosts Pepperdine Saturday 1/14... 4 games in 8 days! The game tonight is @SMC, so it will be a full house... but scheduling up against the BCS Championship game tonight is unfortunate...
Yeah, I was noticing we play GU and USF twice before we ever play LMU or BYU. The new scheduling provides some interesting situations. For example, we play USF twice in 9 days.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Alright. The Dons are lead in scoring, rebounding and turnovers by these three guys:

Dior Lowhorn ABOUT TIME!
Angelo Caloiaro 14.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.9 tpg
Perris Blackwell 11.4, 5.7, 1.9
Rashad Green 11.1, 4.9, 3.7

Caloiaro and Green both shoot just under 37% from 3-point range. Oddly, the 6'8", 225lbs Caloiaro (4.0 attempts per game) shoots more 3s than the 3'4", 195lbs Green (2.9 attempts per game).

Caloiaro and Blackwell are the most likely to get to the line and while Caloiaro shoots a respectable 78%, Blackwell shoots a Knutson-like 56% (Sorry Kramer!).

The Dons are not a large team. The tallest players listed are 6'9". Blackwell appears to be the only one getting significant miinutes. Sophomore Justin Raffington (8.8 mpg, 2.2 ppg, 2.4 rpg) and Freshman Mark Tollefsen (redshirting?) don't appear to be impact players (yet). Caloiaro is the only player listed at 6'8". Sophomore Cole Dickerson (15.4 mpg, 5.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg) and freshman Khalil Murphy (6.4, 2.4, 1.1) round out the forwards at 6'7".

I think this is a winnable game but I imagine it'll be a tough win. These guys are desperate for a win after opening conference 0-4, including a 15-point loss to SMC tonight and they're playing at home. We need to come out strong, we need Thomas to use his size and we need to keep their (athletic?) big men in check. Wouldn't the return of Riley Barker be great? I'm not counting on it but I'm sure DoubleDipper has better insight there.

*I know Lowhorn was gone last year too but I thought he'd never leave!

**I know nobody cares about turnovers but I liked that these three represented the top 3 in all of those categories.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 am

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Caloiaro and Green both shoot just under 37% from 3-point range. Oddly, the 6'8", 225lbs Caloiaro (4.0 attempts per game) shoots more 3s than the 3'4", 195lbs Green (2.9 attempts per game).

Shocked That's a lot of muscle to pack onto that body frame!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:
ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Caloiaro and Green both shoot just under 37% from 3-point range. Oddly, the 6'8", 225lbs Caloiaro (4.0 attempts per game) shoots more 3s than the 3'4", 195lbs Green (2.9 attempts per game).

He's been working out.

Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm Midget+thong
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 am

Rolling Eyes I'm gone on break and I come back to this. Nice to see PN did not have any resolutions...

Addressing an earlier tangent, thanks for the positive feedback, PPT and DD! Some parts came easily, but like DD wrote, after editing and submitting, I wanted to spend some time away from rhymes.

Back on the titular topic, it will be fun to see the team since I have only made cursory looks at the team since the Ohio game. Plus, any way to produce fodder for the aforementioned return trip on the 21st is always nice. Smile

From looking at the Academic Calendar, the dorms are back open for Intersession, so there could be a crowd. As UP's break comes to a close, this game comes at the perfect time for my first Men's road game. However, I'm driving solo, so the Condor Club is not on the itinerary. Salud to DD in advance! Cheers!

If the War Memorial Gym has wireless, I'll try to pop into the Chat to provide insights and compare notes.

Last edited by DJ Sherman on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarifying the itinerary, which is not a euphemism.)
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:

Our blocked shots should spike on Thursday... Embarassed
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 pm

DJ Sherman wrote: However, I'm driving solo, so the Condor Club is on on the itinerary. Salud to DD in advance! Cheers!
What, seriously, the Condor Club still exists?

I’m guessing (hoping?) that Carol is no longer the main attraction.
Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm Condor10

Below is the California historical marker at the original Condor Club site. It reads: "The Condor, Where it all began; The birthplace of the world's first topless & bottomless entertainment; Topless - June 19, 1964 Bottomless - September 3, 1969 Starring Ms. Carol Doda; San Francisco, California

Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm Condor11

Guys, it was a different era; before implants even. Just as Curt Flood (look him up) paved the way for baseball free agency, Carol Doda made it possible for you to enjoy God's creations on any given night (or day).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 pm

OK, back to basketball. Basketball

#184 USF is being shown as an early 8 point favorite over #239 UP (79-71) with a very high 75% confidence factor. The reason: UP has not won on the road (still the 6th toughest schedule in D-1), and that winless streak includes a loss to #321 Utah in Salt Lake.

USF may be winless in WCC play, but at the end of the day, it is currently anticipated that SCU, USF and Portland will be in a statistical tie for 6th place ahead of USD.

I’m looking for higher for the Pilots!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 pm

LMU has a win at San Francisco. That means we need a win at San Francisco if we are to have any hope of fighting for 4th. 4th would be a good finish for this year. As long as we keep winning against everyone other than SMC, BYU, and Gonzaga I can keep hoping.

I think we have a chance against SF, especially if we can play like we did in the first half against Santa Clara. If we play like we did against Pepperdine I'm guessing we'll lose. Pepperdine doesn't score much anyways so our defense was OK, but didn't have to be great to pull out that win while our offense was struggling.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ USF, Thursday @ 7pm Empty Riley Update

Post by DJ Sherman Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:00 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:...Wouldn't the return of Riley Barker be great?...

Caught up on the Santa Clara Game and Rev said in the pregame interview, Riley was cleared to practice but not compete due to a strength issue. Possible return: next week for San Diego and USF.
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Here are 2 keys to the game in my opinion:

1) Shooting a higher percentage like we did against SCU.
2) Improved defense by the big men...

Another double double by R. Nicholas wouldn´t hurt either.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Portland Pilots (5-11, 2-1) at San Francisco Dons (10-8, 0-4)
Date: Thursday, Jan. 12, 2012
Tip-off: 7:00 p.m.
Arena: War Memorial Gym (4,800)
Radio: 800 AM
Overall Series: 25-47
At UP: 17-17
At USF: 7-28
At Neutral: 1-2
Last: USF 82, POR 73 (Feb. 17, 2011 at Portland)

COMING UP
• Portland (5-11, 2-1 WCC) will look for its third straight win and continue West Coast Conference play by visiting the San Francisco Dons (10-8, 0-4) on Thursday at 7 p.m. at War Memorial Gymnasium.
• The Pilots will then make the short trip to Moraga, Calif. on Saturday to take on the Saint Mary’s Gaels (15-2, 4-0) on Saturday at 8 p.m.
• Saturday’s game will be televised live on Comcast Bay Area and tape-delayed at 9 p.m. on Comcast SportsNet Northwest. Glenn Kuiper and Stan Morrison will be calling the action.
• All Portland basketball games will be broadcast live on True Talk 800 AM, with a 30-minute pregame show. Bill Johnson will call the action courtside and an audio simulcast will also be available on www.PilotsVideo.com.

ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO
• The Dons (10-8, 0-4 WCC) dropped an 87-72 decision at Saint Mary’s on Monday and have now lost five of their last six games. USF is also winless in WCC play, having dropped road games at Pepperdine and BYU and a home overtime contest to Loyola Marymount.
• USF rattled off a 10-4 non-conference record, including a narrow loss to currently ranked Murray State (70-67) at the Great Alaska Shootout.
• The Dons best win came at Montana by a 65-62 margin.
• USF is led by senior F Angelo Caloiaro (14.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg) and sophomore F Perris Blackwell (11.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg).
• Senior G Rashad Green (10.9 ppg) and junior G Michael Williams (10.6 ppg) were both named to the Preseason All-WCC Team.
• The Dons were picked fourth in the WCC Preseason Poll after returning all five starters from last year’s surprise squad that finished 19-15 overall and third in the WCC with a 10-4 league record.
• Former Kansas and NBA standout Rex Walters returns for his fourth year as head coach of the Dons.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:10 am

All national pollsters and pundits favor USF tonight in a game that is not expected to be close. pig

AccuScore gives UP only a 20% of winning; Pomeroy gives the Pilots a 25% chance with the Dons winning by 8, and the current line in Las Vegas has the Dons winning by 9 points.

Sports Nets says to look for USF to capitalize with a win tonight against a Portland squad that is 0-8 as the visiting team this year. Whereas Nicholas accounts for the bulk of Portland’s offensive production, the Dons boast four players averaging double figures lead by Angelo Caloiaro, USF’s top scorer (14.2), rebounder (6.4), three-point shooter (25/58, .368), and free –throw shooter (75/95, .789).

They go on to say, "Expect the Dons to tighten up the defense in their return to campus. If they can stop Nicholas, it would force the Pilots to rely on some of their less-proven scoring options in a hostile environment."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Here's hoping they're wrong. I'm not expecting a win, but I'm expecting closer than 10 points. They lost to Pepperdine by 16 away LMU by 1 at home and don't seem to have been playing great although it's hard to say as I'm not sure just how good St. Mary's and BYU are.

USF did win by 3 at Montana which we failed to do, but I think we've gelled as a team since our Montana game whereas they've been sliding. If they pull it together they win comfortably even with our recent improvement unless we have another breakout half/game.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I think we can do it. It's not a given but I think we could take advantage of a team that is slumping and leave SF with a W.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Live internet feed from this link when it's ready:
http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/usf.portal#

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Since we will be huddled around computers watching the video stream, feel free to hop into the PN Chatbox to share thoughts... LINK

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:58 pm

REMINDER: GU @ SMC @ 8 PST on ESPN2; smc favored by 3.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:05 pm

LMU @ Pepp is on ESPNU right now, as well...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next