Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current state of the program

+23
Urika
bullwinkle
Pilot60
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
writerpilot
Stonehouse
goldhelmet
blacksheep
oldtimer
bctigard
newpilotfan
DTLegend
Another Pilot Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless!
pilotram
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
wrv
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
27 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Current state of the program - Page 17 Empty Re: Current state of the program

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Interesting article on OSU in the Oregonian tonight... it almost exactly states what we have been saying about our program. Replace the references to OSU, Pac-12 & Robinson with UP, WCC & Reveno, and it is amazingly similar... LINK

Goe: Craig Robinson says it's time to raise the bar at Oregon State, and he's right

By Ken Goe, The Oregonian
on March 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM, updated March 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

LAS VEGAS – It’s hard to put a positive spin on the way Oregon State’s season of futility ended Wednesday in MGM Grand Garden Arena, but goodness knows OSU coach Craig Robinson tried. “We’ve made a lot of progress,” Robinson insisted. “You know, when I first got to Oregon State we were trying not to lose by 30. This year, because of these guys’ hard work continually, we were in every game we played in the Pac-12 this year.”

The statute of limitations for blaming the predecessor is long over.

Robinson has had five full seasons in Corvallis. He recruited every player on the roster. This team’s record is his responsibility, and his alone.

The record isn’t pretty.

The Beavers lost 15 of 19 games against conference opponents this season, the worst in his tenure.

Wednesday’s 74-68 loss to Colorado in the first round of the Pac-12 Conference tournament was typical of the season. OSU played hard and well enough to be in the game late. Roberto Nelson’s three-point play with 18 seconds left had the Beavers within 72-66.

But here is the thing. That isn’t good enough. A close loss still is a loss. When it happens consistently, it’s worse than being blown out because it shows that you’re physically able to play with your opponents.

It’s the coach’s job to take a team the rest of the way.

To his credit, Robinson said after the game the Beavers wouldn’t pursue a berth in the College Basketball Invitational, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl of college postseason basketball.

The CBI is a tournament that schools have to buy their way into, and Oregon State wasn’t too proud to do it in three of Robinson’s first four seasons.

“Normally we would say yes to that,” Robinson said. “But these guys want to be NCAA Tournament guys. I don’t know with our record if we would even be invited. But we are raising the bar. We want to feel the sting of not playing in the postseason and see how that motivates us for next year.”

Well, good. I don’t know how many OSU fans who aren’t friends or family members would want to watch another CBI foray.

Heck, some friends and family members wouldn’t either.

The Beavers shot less than 40 percent against Colorado and were pounded 43-30 on the boards.

They played a scrappy 2-3 zone that gave Colorado fits. But it was a seriously ugly game to watch. Give former OSU greats A.C. Green and Gary Payton credit for sticking out all 40 minutes.

Robinson seems to be in no danger of losing his job. His contract runs through the 2016-17 season. And, besides he brings real strengths to the school.

He recruits well. He effectively raises money at a school where fund-raising is critical. He represents Oregon State well in the community.

Oh, and he is President Obama’s brother-in-law.

But on the court, this isn’t working. Eventually, every coach at this level gets judged on his record, no matter how good the family connections.

Maybe Robinson should retool his coaching staff to bring in a veteran assistant. An experienced voice beside him on the bench might help. It couldn’t hurt.

At the very least, the long offseason should give Robinson time to come up with a better plan on offense. At the moment, it seems to feature too much perimeter passing with post players handling the ball 25 feet from the basket, and too often results in a forced jumper to beat the shot clock.

Certainly, OSU caught some bad breaks this season with season-ending injuries to post players Angus Brandt and Daniel Gomis.

But that is college basketball. You rarely make it through a season untouched. Players get hurt. They go into funks. Sometimes they leave.

Sophomore forward Eric Moreland, for instance, could turn pro before the 2013-14 season convenes. He will have the opportunity if he wants to take it.

Constant references to players who aren’t on the floor are losers’ laments. Good teams have the depth, will and, yes, coaching to persevere anyway.

“We want to be an NCAA Tournament team next year,” Robinson said. “I mean that’s what programs at this level strive for. That’s what we strive for.”

OK, Robinson is on record.

It’s time for the decision-makers at OSU to hold him to it.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Reveno is the President's Brother-in-Law?!?!

(Ok i'll stop...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

"played hard and well enough to be in the game late"

We play hard, but rarely well enough to be in the game late.

As far as the Grambling stats are concerned: they're awful, but we're not far from those numbers.

I love the pilots, but our current offensive "system" is an atrocity. It's not just because of the injury issues or talent. It just doesn't work.

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by writerpilot Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Rev returns, per the Oregonian:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2013/03/mens_basketball_reveno_will_be.html#incart_river_default

I kind of figured this was the case. You usually don't send a coach halfway around the world for a recruiting trip only to can him upon his return.

Hope things get turned around next year!
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am

U kidding me? confused

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 pm

I really hope we see a change in assistant coaches and get an assistant to help create an offense. I don't think Rev's a bad coach, but I haven't seen evidence lately anyone on staff is an offensive expert. I see players skills improving, evidence of coaching happening between games, etc. Exceptionally good defense at times and always pretty good on D, but offense. Oh man.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am

dholcombe wrote:I really hope we see a change in assistant coaches and get an assistant to help create an offense.
Um, I haven't heard of any changes coming to the staff, but you never know.

I did see the entire staff (minus 1)just yesterday at the Chiles Center. The "minus 1" still identifies himself as Assistant Men's Basketball Coach @ University of Portland on social media.....I just didn't see him.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11252
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Some change would be nice. Based on the last 2 years, I was shocked to see that Rev's coming back.

His scheme should look much, much different next year. If it isn't, we should be prepared for more of the same. The effort is there, but these kids were just not in a position to be successful given their skill set and athleticism.

Any more news on Oskars?

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:29 pm

He's coming back, but I imagine with little room for error. So as a career preservation strategy, if for no other reason, Rev had better go back to the drawing board for the offense.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:31 pm

I must have missed that meeting.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Sarcasm?

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm

dholcombe wrote:I really hope we see a change in assistant coaches and get an assistant to help create an offense. I don't think Rev's a bad coach, but I haven't seen evidence lately anyone on staff is an offensive expert. I see players skills improving, evidence of coaching happening between games, etc. Exceptionally good defense at times and always pretty good on D, but offense. Oh man.
bctigard wrote:Some change would be nice. Based on the last 2 years, I was shocked to see that Rev's coming back.

His scheme should look much, much different next year. If it isn't, we should be prepared for more of the same. The effort is there, but these kids were just not in a position to be successful given their skill set and athleticism.
NoPoNeighbor wrote:He's coming back, but I imagine with little room for error. So as a career preservation strategy, if for no other reason, Rev had better go back to the drawing board for the offense.
From Rev a couple of hours ago on Twitter:
Amazing impact of internet...patients think they are doctors, investors think they are stock guru's and everyone thinks they can coach.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Great quote from Rev. Can't remember one I liked better. But can we get off this topic. The "Current State of the Program" can generate only so many comments. We have decided its lacking, but there is basketball still and I prefer being a fan for the home team that leaves the coaching decisions where they belong.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:47 pm

wrv wrote:Great quote from Rev. Can't remember one I liked better. But can we get off this topic. The "Current State of the Program" can generate only so many comments. We have decided its lacking, but there is basketball still and I prefer being a fan for the home team that leaves the coaching decisions where they belong.
Yea, I too think we've chopped down about every tree in this forest.....maybe a new thread titled "Current State of a Program on Its Way Back, Baby!"
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm

I'd prefer "the future state of the program"R
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Wow, this is pretty candid....from Rev a couple of hours ago:
Sorry. Let my results speak for themselves this yr. In coaching talk is cheap. Either win or lose. Can't hide behind twitter.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 pm

I cannot help but like Reveno. His candor is as refreshing as his optimism. Hope that UP and Reveno spend a long time winning games together.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by ekrauss Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:55 pm

I agree. I like Reveno too. I hope the program gets back on track this year.

ekrauss
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 am

Love to be a fly on the wall for this:

“@CoachReveno: Interesting to take stalk of who has bet for you and who has bet against you. Carry no grudges, forgive all but know peoples true character.”

Wouldn't want Rev stalking me Duck!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm

After reading it again, I appreciate your suggestion, but want to know if "taking stalk" is anything like "taking stock," or, as you imply, does it involve more exertion?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey! He knows what he wrote. He's a Stanford grad.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2013 3:01 pm

It's a lot like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiEUDzIrEQE

Back to top Go down