Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current state of the program

+23
Urika
bullwinkle
Pilot60
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
writerpilot
Stonehouse
goldhelmet
blacksheep
oldtimer
bctigard
newpilotfan
DTLegend
Another Pilot Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless!
pilotram
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
wrv
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
27 posters

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Current state of the program - Page 15 Empty Re: Current state of the program

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Reliable source (not on any UP staff) told me today that Oskars' chances of returning next year are "slim."
The good news just keeps rolling in... pale

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:36 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Reliable source (not on any UP staff) told me today that Oskars' chances of returning next year are "slim."

I'll just say it was/is a behavior issue not related to basketball or academics. No need to discuss the specifics in this (public) forum.

I had a feeling. I'm searching my soul for a reason to renew.

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 am

PilotNut wrote:I am not going to post any more in this thread after this while I am fired up about the loss tonight... but I find myself asking this question, again...... is this program improved from when Rev took over?

The entire conference has improved, yes, but relative to the rest of the teams in the WCC, are we better?! For all of the resources being poured into the program (renovations, additional basketball-specific staff, increased coaching salaries), what is our return? More early exits from tourneys and cellar finishes in conference play.

It isn't working.

I've been a huge Reveno supporter, but the past couple years have been awful to say the least. Even when we had 20 win seasons, we didn't have the post season success that any of us want. Losing in the play in game of the WCC tournament is unacceptable.

In the past two years, we've lost Douglas and Cason. Now, apparently Oskars won't be coming back (I agree, there is no reason to discuss what he did on a public forum Evil or Very Mad ). We only have one recruit at this point, and it now looks like we might have 2 open spots for next year. This is not the trend we want to have. Certainly we can't blame Reveno 100%, but he should get some of it.

I don't think you ever fire a coach unless you have an opportunity to upgrade. If you think it's difficult to recruit player to Portland, it's even harder to recruit coaches. Rev genuinely cares about the long term success of the program, he works extremely hard and is a good coach. I think he is the right guy going through some growing pains/bad luck. I would like to seem him get at least one more year to show improvement. If we aren't playing on Friday in Vegas next year, I don't see how I can keep defending him.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

The bright side is we might get another shooter?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 am

blacksheep wrote:
PilotNut wrote:I am not going to post any more in this thread after this while I am fired up about the loss tonight... but I find myself asking this question, again...... is this program improved from when Rev took over?

The entire conference has improved, yes, but relative to the rest of the teams in the WCC, are we better?! For all of the resources being poured into the program (renovations, additional basketball-specific staff, increased coaching salaries), what is our return? More early exits from tourneys and cellar finishes in conference play.

It isn't working.

I've been a huge Reveno supporter, but the past couple years have been awful to say the least. Even when we had 20 win seasons, we didn't have the post season success that any of us want. Losing in the play in game of the WCC tournament is unacceptable.

In the past two years, we've lost Douglas and Cason. Now, apparently Oskars won't be coming back (I agree, there is no reason to discuss what he did on a public forum Evil or Very Mad ). We only have one recruit at this point, and it now looks like we might have 2 open spots for next year. This is not the trend we want to have. Certainly we can't blame Reveno 100%, but he should get some of it.

I don't think you ever fire a coach unless you have an opportunity to upgrade. If you think it's difficult to recruit player to Portland, it's even harder to recruit coaches. Rev genuinely cares about the long term success of the program, he works extremely hard and is a good coach. I think he is the right guy going through some growing pains/bad luck. I would like to seem him get at least one more year to show improvement. If we aren't playing on Friday in Vegas next year, I don't see how I can keep defending him.

If not now, when?

I support the team completely. We have to take an opportunity in the off-season to reflect on where we are, where we have been, and where we would like to be.

Until late in this season, your statement is absolutely a reflection of my feelings. I ask myself those 3 questions, though, and I can't help but think that now is the time. Should a coach offer up excuses for where we are, or does he take responsibility adjust and make the team better.

Last year it was excuses. This year?

Where are we: the worst team in the WCC. A team that lost the play-in game. A team that isn't really competing in the tournament at all. A team that only occasionally challenges a mid-tier WCC opponent. A team that Bennet and Few should be disappointed that their teams didn't beat by 50.

Where were we: a 20 win team that failed miserably in the post season.

Where would we like to be (realistically): moving upward, competing with every mid level team in the WCC, challenging SMC, Gonzaga and BYU. Winning games in the post season. A team that is building a program.

Our promising, young players come in and adjustment their games to the D-I level. This happens naturally. It isn't coached. You spend time on the floor and improve at the next level. Aside from that natural improvement, can we point to consistent improvement through the course of each our players' time at the U? I haven't seen it over the last 2 years.

That being said. Go Pilots! There WILL be better seasons ahead Basketball cheers

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

excuse the poor editing. Trying to rush in a post in-between work related tasks! Very Happy

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:17 am

blacksheep wrote:I've been a huge Reveno supporter, but the past couple years have been awful to say the least. Even when we had 20 win seasons, we didn't have the post season success that any of us want. Losing in the play in game of the WCC tournament is unacceptable.

I don't think you ever fire a coach unless you have an opportunity to upgrade.

I agree, that firing a coach should only be considered if we can upgrade. Personality- and fit-wise, it would be difficult to upgrade from Rev. In terms of results... Hmmm. We are likely paying Rev much more than we paid Holton, but... the results are not better.

Maybe Bruce Pearl is looking for a West Coast gig?! Cool

My concern is this: Rev has stated that he is looking for a shooter/ball handler for next season. If that player does not work out, we could very well end up in a very similar position next year: talented bigs, with a lack of sufficient guard talent (Wintering will be a freshman, Carr recovering from the knee injury, and maybe no Oskars... Pressley should be a bright spot). If Rev & Co. do not hit it out of the park with the 1 (or 2) remaining scholarship(s) for next season, we could easily be right back playing in the 7/10 or 8/9 game.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:30 am

PilotNut wrote:
blacksheep wrote:I've been a huge Reveno supporter, but the past couple years have been awful to say the least. Even when we had 20 win seasons, we didn't have the post season success that any of us want. Losing in the play in game of the WCC tournament is unacceptable.

I don't think you ever fire a coach unless you have an opportunity to upgrade.

I agree, that firing a coach should only be considered if we can upgrade. Personality- and fit-wise, it would be difficult to upgrade from Rev. In terms of results... Hmmm. We are likely paying Rev much more than we paid Holton, but... the results are not better.

Maybe Bruce Pearl is looking for a West Coast gig?! Cool

My concern is this: Rev has stated that he is looking for a shooter/ball handler for next season. If that player does not work out, we could very well end up in a very similar position next year: talented bigs, with a lack of sufficient guard talent (Wintering will be a freshman, Carr recovering from the knee injury, and maybe no Oskars... Pressley should be a bright spot). If Rev & Co. do not hit it out of the park with the 1 (or 2) remaining scholarship(s) for next season, we could easily be right back playing in the 7/10 or 8/9 game.

Hey, you weren't going to post in this thread for a while!

I can't really with you. These last two years have been terrible. If things don't change, next year won't be any better. I guess I give Rev a lot of credit for this 20 win seasons. Unfortunately he wasn't able to parlay that into continued success. I don't see any reason that he can't get there again in the next couple years and turn it into long term success.

Maybe I've developed the "I guess there's always next year" attitude of a long time Pilot fan.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 am

imagine the effect that 1 more horrible season will have on recruiting. pale

Excusing mediocrity will keep us exactly where we are.

It's time to expect results.

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:58 am

#%!)%^#)%#)&!@$

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm

bctigard wrote:Excusing mediocrity will keep us exactly where we are.

It's time to expect results.

This has been a problem at UP for decades, and the main reason I fired up this thread to begin with.

Think bigger & aim higher.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:35 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:

#%!)%^#)%#)&!@$

Seriously. I thought Oskars was one of the bright spots for next year. Without Oskars... ???? Carr after recovery and Wintering are unknowns at the D1 level.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 pm

From my perspective " excusing mediocrity" has little to nothing to do with the problem.

Maybe about as much as the drag on the program by all these complaints.

I have no doubt that no one excuses poor performance whether inside or outside the program. Perhaps you have noticed the periodic changes at the head coach position.

Let's try and remain objective . . .you will have a loping of heads soon enough and it won't be associated with excusing mediocrity.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1425
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:02 pm

So are we gonna get Rick Adelman? He's only 67 and he's still got family in town I believe. Portland has got to be better than living in Minnesota. He'll have to travel a lot less....

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:05 pm

dholcombe wrote:So are we gonna get Rick Adelman? He's only 67 and he's still got family in town I believe. Portland has got to be better than living in Minnesota. He'll have to travel a lot less....

No.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:08 pm

How about his daughter....she did a good job with the girls at Jesuit...but we might need to hire her a driver drunken

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 pm

No.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:11 pm

How about DoubleDipper with Reveno as his assistant. We can pick who plays via forum poll.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:00 pm

No.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Current state of the program? Could be worse, could be Kentucky!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 pm

dholcombe wrote:How about DoubleDipper with Reveno as his assistant. We can pick who plays via forum poll.
Not just no, but HELL no!!! Evil or Very Mad

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11298
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:54 pm

"Toughness is ability not to rationalize. Rationalization is to make an excuse for not achieving more than you have to that point" - from someone on Reveno's twitter feed.

The public messages this coach sends (be it in interviews, on Twitter, to you Pilot Club fellas) are what I want to hear from the leader of this program. Is likely consistent with the message sent in the locker room as well.

Am really hoping this ship can be turned around with this staff at the helm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Dean, I agree.
@CoachReveno wrote:Just finished 11 thirty minute player meetings. Communication builds trust, trust builds commitment, commitment builds teamwork. Growth.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am

Only 11 meetings...? There would be 12 "returning" players to meet with: K. Bailey, J. Bailey, Ryno, Barker, Tanner, Ahern, van der Mars, Pressley, Thieleke, Carr, Ehlers & Oskars... who doesn't get a meeting? Carr (due to injury)? Oskars (suspension)? Is Oskars fate already settled?
confused

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 am

The new math.

Addition by subtraction.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho