Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland-Idaho State

+7
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
aleppiek
ShipstadPilot11
DoubleDipper
PurplePrideTrumpet
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Portland-Idaho State Empty Portland-Idaho State

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm actually kind of getting excited for the home opener so here we go.

You could say Idaho State is slightly unsettled this season, and have been since last season. Coach Joe O'Brien resigned last December and the interim head coach/former assistant admitted to possible recruiting violations. Now they're on coach #3 in a 12-month span. On top of that their two best players are gone.

Last season ISU allowed a lot of points, and especially gave up lots of threes, so the Pilots' shooters could have a good night. Checking the box score of their season-opening loss to Utah State, ISU did force 17 turnovers. We're familiar with the issues in that area so that will be something to keep an eye on.

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Portland-Idaho State Empty Re: Portland-Idaho State

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:04 am

From WCC watcher Zack Farmer:
Idaho State (0-1) at Portland (0-1), 7 p.m. Thursday

Portland was pummeled by a team that went to the Sweet Sixteen last year. No surprise there. Ryan Nicholas is still a beast on the boards, the three-point shooting was still a non-factor, and the free throw shooting was off. Not much learned and not much gained. They should learn something in their game against Idaho State. They stand a much better chance of getting the win and seeing if there really has been some improvement in the guard play.

Predicted winner: Portland
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 am

KenPom also predicts #205 UP will beat #324 Idaho State 73-60 (88% probability).

I’m surprised his computers rank the confidence factor so high based on the first games of the season.

#328 (at the time) Idaho State lost to #108 Utah St. on the road 56-48 in their first game….that sounds awfully close for two schools that were 217 rankings apart at the time. The Pilots were only 126 rankings from Ohio when they lost 81-52.

Idaho St. gained four spots in the standings after their loss; UP lost 22 places after losing to Ohio…. Ohio gained 12 spots with their win.

Go figure!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 am

Idaho State has a 7'4" guy that hasn't played since the first exhibition game....damn, we're getting close to Shawn Bradley territory here.

Gotta admit knowing nothing about ISU coming into today...read the Trumpet's brief overview on them at the top, then went looking for their Game 1 result hoping that they were blown out by 30 in their opener. Clearly not the case, losing by only eight to a USU team that has been pretty good over the past few years.

Looking like this might be a good matchup for Nicholas. Idaho State has a smallish starting lineup...a 6-9 post, then 6-4, 6-4, 6-3, 5-11 with a couple of 6-6 guys coming off the bench. This is either something USU chose not to or could not take advantage of, as the Aggies only had a 26-22 advantage in the paint. I'm guessing Reveno will try to exploit this with VdM and Nicholas and maybe use Barker for more than the 12 minutes he got against Ohio.

Game available via streaming video. Good show.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am

There appears to be a distinct lack of interest in the Pilots' game against ISU tonight, both on this board and from the Athletic Department, as there is not even a preview on the UP website. Do you suppose everyone is still attempting to find their way to the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania?

Because UP plays such a huge schedule, it could be that ISU just doesn’t conjure up any thoughts of stellar play, but I think tonight will be a real test of where the team and the program are. If the Pilots are able to win at home it would be a big boost of confidence for a team (and fans) that needs a boost.

Tipoff at 7; beer and wine for sale in the Pilot Club.

Pilots by 9.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 am

From Score Media, Inc:
The Bengals, members of the Big Sky Conference, are coming off a dreadful campaign in 2011-12 when they won just nine of their 30 outings. The team was somewhat decent in league action with seven victories, but that means ISU was a mere 2-12 in non-conference play and failed to win against any non- conference opponent on the road.

Unfortunately, Idaho State tipped off this season in the same fashion as it bowed to Utah State in Logan last Saturday, 56-48.

As for the Pilots, they were even worse off than ISU a season ago when they posted a dismal 7-24 record. Like the Bengals, Portland also lost every road game outside of the West Coast Conference (0-7), and it too began 2012-13 in the same manner with an 81-52 blowout loss at Ohio University last weekend.

According to Portland's records, the Bengals own a slight edge in the all-time series at 10-9, although the Pilots have taken the last three meetings, the most recent being a 76-52 final at a neutral site during the 2007-08 campaign.

After making just nine field goals in the first half of their season opener at Utah State last Saturday, the Bengals probably thought they could only get better. And while the team did increase its output after the break, it made a total of just 10 field goals and a mere 1-of-4 at the free-throw line in a game that they could have captured were it not for that weak shooting effort. Melvin Morgan emerged as the lone double-digit scorer for ISU with 19 points, the only player to have made more than just a single free throw. Tomas Sanchez checked in with nine points, seven assists and four steals, while Andre Hatchett led the way on the glass with seven rebounds, but he shot just 1-of-8 from the floor and came up empty on all five of his three-point tries.

The Pilots appeared ready to reverse their fortunes on the road against non- conference opponents last Saturday when at the break they were tied with Ohio at 33-33. Unfortunately, the Bobcats made several corrections at both ends of the floor as they ended up sprinting to a 29-point win. Not only did Portland shoot just 7-of-27 (.259) from the field in the second half, but it also allowed the hosts to hit 61.5 percent from the floor during the same span. Ryan Nicholas tried to give the visitors a fighting chance with his 16 points and 11 rebounds, shooting 7-of-14 from the field, but he was the only one to score in double digits. Adding to the painful display was Portland's inefficiency at the free-throw line (14-of-24), lack of accuracy beyond the arc (4-of-14), and the fact that the squad had more turnovers (23) than field goals (17).

The fact that Idaho State didn't completely fold in the second half against USU in a rough environment means the team might be capable of picking up a rare non-conference road win this time around.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Do you suppose everyone is still attempting to find their way to the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania?
I'm more interested in the happenings in Louisville!

I have interest in the game tonight but I really don't know what to say. I know next-to-nothing about ISU and I, uh, hope we win. I believe we can win.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 am

I've got a 4 year old who is a little excited for the game.
Portland-Idaho State Pilot_11
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 am

ISU Preview

Hard to be overly confident heading into this one but I still feel the inside game is going to be a key here.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 am

SP11 has a good point... ISU is such an unknown quantity... and quite frankly, the Pilots are still an unknown entity this year. We all think we will be better, but have yet to see evidence that it is the case. We also have not yet shown that we can control turnovers.

ISU's performance at USU shows that they are a tough team, and will not be an easy win. The Pilots' 2nd half performance left a lot to be desired last weekend, particularly in the response to the adversity as OU's lead grew. Hopefully they learned that you need to play the full 40 minutes. Every game.

Here is ISU's Season Preview.

My takeaways from their article:
* ISU has a new coach this year, 6 returning players (2 starters, Hatchett & Morgan) and 7 newcomers.
* Coach mentions he plans on playing with 2 PGs frequently.
* It sounds like wing Andre Hatchett is their best returning player.
* The Bengals do not have many players that have seen significant D-I action before. (Sounds like some recent Pilot teams...)
* It sounds like their big men are raw, but not young/inexperienced. Hopefully Nicholas, van der mars and Barker can dominate the paint, but they will have their hands full with 7'4" Center Jakub Kusmieruk.

This is a game that the Pilots should win comfortably. Lets hope that happens! Go Pilots! Basketball

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 am

aleppiek wrote:I've got a 4 year old who is a little excited for the game.
Portland-Idaho State Pilot_11
I love it....and really, isn't that what it's all about!!

(I'm assuming the purple just LOOKS blue in the picture....not unusual Smile )
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 am

Yeah, browser color management gotta love it...
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 am

PilotNut wrote:... and quite frankly, the Pilots are still an unknown entity this year. We all think we will be better, but have yet to see evidence that it is the case. We also have not yet shown that we can control turnovers.
Absolutely! Are the fans, coaches, and players overly optimistic of the team's ability; or is there actually a winning team on the rise?

I hate to see people losing interest early, but after last year, there's a real need to start moving in a positive direction NOW. It has to start with Idaho St. tonight and Montana St. on Sunday if it's going to happen at all!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:29 am

DoubleDipper wrote: Do you suppose everyone is still attempting to find their way to the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania?

I'm pretty sure we will eagerly follow the basketball team's travels the next time they are in the thick of an NCAA tournament. We did 16 years ago...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 am

Geezaldinho wrote:We did 16 years ago...

Frigging Kerry Kittles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 am

DoubleDipper wrote:There appears to be a distinct lack of interest in the Pilots' game against ISU tonight, both on this board and from the Athletic Department, as there is not even a preview on the UP website. Do you suppose everyone is still attempting to find their way to the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania?

Preview's up now on the site.

Pilots Preview

First 500 fans get Pilots t-shirts! I've really got to get to a game to get some new gear...my old stuff with the wheel logo just ain't cutting it anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 am

Winning the next 3 games would help start re-building the interest of the fan base and the outsiders/city (which was really growing by the end of the 2009-10 season, and into the early 2010-11 season).

The UP Marketing Team can sell their hearts out, but until the program backs it up with wins over quality opponents, we will be limited in attention/interest.

We won't build much of a following by beating the ISU's of the world (example: look at PSU a couple years ago; under Coach Bone they had a good amount of success, and went to the NCAA tourney a couple times, but the program never really "caught on" with outside fans, as they were mostly beating teams of little interest to most).

In the 2009-10 and 2010 OOC schedules, we were playing (and often beating) teams such as Oregon, UCLA, Minnesota, Nevada, Army, Kentucky, Utah, Washington, Wazzu, Boise St, Washington and the St. Louis Fighting Majeruses... not to mention Gonzaga and SMC.

When we get back to beating the "BCS" type higher profile teams, we will catch on.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am

Interesting that the game preview from the athletic department specifically notes that Ahern is expected to redshirt, but makes no such reference for Ehlers. From the standpoint of wanting to even out the classes, and from the reports on Ehlers progress, seems like a smart move for him to redshirt, too. Anyone heard anything about this?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Interesting that the game preview from the athletic department specifically notes that Ahern is expected to redshirt, but makes no such reference for Ehlers. From the standpoint of wanting to even out the classes, and from the reports on Ehlers progress, seems like a smart move for him to redshirt, too. Anyone heard anything about this?
I don't KNOW this, but it is my understanding that Jake will continue to be a regular team member; suited-up, traveling, and on the bench, but will probably not play unless other players are injured/suspended, etc. At some point, possibly just before WCC play, he will be "officially" called a "redshirt."

If Jake were to all of a sudden become a better performer in practice than those on the roster ahead of him, he could still end up playing!

That plan could change, but it's the last I heard on the subject
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Oh, and after the Concordia game (9 minutes/3 turnovers), the staff was quite sure David would be redshirting......

He did not play against Concordia-Irvine, and as is standard practice for a walk-on, he did not travel to Athens.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Just talked to an old friend in Pocatello who tells me ISU loves to play zone defense.

UP has not been very effective against the zone since the 3 point shooting went south; got to find the gaps and attack inside......

(BTW, I've spent a quite a few days in Pocatello in the recent past; no one should complain about where they visit or live until they've been to Pocatello......but there are a lot of bars in town). Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 pm

"Some of these students stand the entire game!"
No way.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:If Jake were to all of a sudden become a better performer in practice than those on the roster ahead of him, he could still end up playing!

That plan could change, but it's the last I heard on the subject

Ehlers subbed in midway through the second half so there ya go!

Pilots up five here with nine minutes left. VdM just got his fourth foul, Nicholas is lighting it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 pm

And we have a .500 basketball team!

Turnovers down to a more palatable 14, and I think three of those were early in the second half when K. Bailey just lost the handle on three easy passes. He had a good day otherwise as one of the few players on either team to provide a semblance of offence.

Nicholas with a fine game as he led all scorers with 22. For only scoring 51 points the Pilots actually shot pretty good from the field (20-for-44). Real key was the Pilots outrebounding ISU by a 31-22 margin, and if I counted correctly I think FOUR of their boards were on that second last offensive possession by the Bengals leading to the three-pointer that cut it to three.

Team looked poised down the stretch...I never really got the sense that they were going to lose this one though I'll obviously admit to being plenty nervous after the missed Nicholas FT at the end led to the last long 3 attempt.

Not a convincing win, but a pretty damned big one for this program for reasons eloquently stated by others earlier in this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Great gamesby Nicholas and Kevin Bailey was solid as the Pilots took advantage of their size. For most of the second half they also tightened up on ISU's shooters and only allowed 2 three pointers (6 in the first half).

Now I just want them to start running a play with more than 10 seconds on the shot clock. But really, a pretty good game tonight.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next