Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

@ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM

+6
PurplePrideTrumpet
blacksheep
jumpstop
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

@ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM Empty @ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 pm

up7587 wrote:
jumpstop wrote:Now, it's on to take down Tim Douglas and the Vikings.
Tim D. is leading the Vikings in minutes played, points scored, shots made and shots attempted. He has 23 assists in 6 games, but also 18 turnovers. He is also the Viking's 2nd leading defensive rebounder. Shocked 

The Vikings are guard oriented, with 4 of their top 5 scorers being guards.
It would seem that is as good a start as any to this week's scouting report.

We should see something from the UP Athletic Department about tickets to the game within a day or two.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11295
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

@ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM Empty Re: @ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:00 am

Rumors of a prefunk on the Park blocks?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

@ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM Empty Re: @ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:Rumors of a prefunk on the Park blocks?
Yes.....details in the works, apparently. drunken 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:18 am

I have been informed of an official UP pre-game gathering from 5-6:45pm at Rogue Hall, on the PSU campus. More details to follow, I am sure...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 am

PilotNut wrote:I have been informed of an official UP pre-game gathering from 5-6:45pm at Rogue Hall, on the PSU campus.
An appropriate name for a gathering spot on the campus of a rival institution!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:54 pm

PilotNut wrote:I have been informed of an official UP pre-game gathering from 5-6:45pm at Rogue Hall, on the PSU campus.  More details to follow, I am sure...
Well, if that's the case, it's a very short 3-4 minute walk to the game from Rogue Hall.....there is no sense driving from Rogue Hall to the Peter Stott Center because the streets around The Stott are blocked off to traffic, for the most part.

Rogue Hall is at 1717 SW Park Ave (just south of Mill St.) -- 503-219-8000.

As you come out of Rogue Hall turn south (right) and walk down Park Ave.  Park will quickly turn into the SW Pedestrian Trail (it's not really a trail...it's a wide, well lit paved path).  Just stay on the path until you get to the Stott Center that is on your right at Hall St.

The difficult part is finding parking.....but there is usually street parking somewhere if you circle enough blocks in your search.  tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:26 am

Not really relevant for you folks that will just wander across town to this one, but this one will be webcast on Big Sky TV - here's hoping this one goes better than the last time I watched a Pilots game on Big Sky TV (dirty loss @ Montana State).

Brief look at PSU's lineup -

PG - Tim Douglas (5-10)
SG - Dre Winston (6-1)
SF - Marcus Hall (6-4)
PF - Kyle Richardson (6-7)
C - Aaron Moore (6-8 )
Off the bench - DaShaun Wiggins (6-2), Gary Winston (6-0), Zach Gengler (6-2)

Brandon Cataldo (6-10) was hurt against SIU Edwardsville and has missed both games since, but may return on Saturday.

Guard oriented was used by jumpstop to describe PSU and that might be an understatement as they are 328th out of 351 D1 teams in "effective height" - and you'd think that generally a smallish team would be reliant on the three ball, but they're well below average in both frequency of three-point attempts and tempo.

p.s. I'm sure glad I paid the $20 for Pomeroy for the year. You'd think I actually knew something about basketball by this post.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:17 am

From the UP Athletic Department:
PREGAME DETAILS

WHERE: Rogue Hall 1717 SW Park Ave, Portland, OR 97201 (located on the ground floor of the Vue Residential Tower on the corner of SW Montgomery & Park).

COST: $20 which includes food, beverages and a GA ticket to the game. Tickets will be held at PSU Box Office Will-Call.

TIME: Pregame Social: 5:00 - 6:45 p.m., Game Tip-off: 7:00 p.m.

RSVP: To purchase tickets and RSVP, please contact Dave Taylor at (503) 943-8619 or at taylord@up.edu.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:54 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Guard oriented was used by jumpstop to describe PSU and that might be an understatement as they are 328th out of 351 D1 teams in "effective height" - and you'd think that generally a smallish team would be reliant on the three ball, but they're well below average in both frequency of three-point attempts and tempo.
It was not that many years ago (2009) that the Pilots were nationally ranked (No. 25) after a good tournament showing in Anaheim, only to lose at home to hot-shooting PSU 86-82.

PSU was not necessarily known to be a 3-point shooting team that year either, but on that night they made 15 of 25 3-pointers to outscore the Pilots by 10 in the second half.

A look at Pomeroy’s stats will show that UP is currently No. 309 in the nation at defending the 3-ball and PSU is No. 94 in effectively shooting the 3-ball.   I’m not making any predictions based upon those stats, but based upon the Vikings lack of inside height, the Pilots had better be prepared to see some outside shooting.

It was three years ago when now Viking guard Tim Douglas put up 27 points in 23 minutes for the Pilots in their 78-67 win at the Stott Center that snapped a four game losing streak to the Vikings.  Now older and stronger, you can bet Tim will look to break loose against his former school in the now familiar Stott Center on Saturday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:A look at Pomeroy’s stats will show that UP is currently No. 309 in the nation at defending the 3-ball and PSU is No. 94 in effectively shooting the 3-ball.   I’m not making any predictions based upon those stats, but based upon the Vikings lack of inside height, the Pilots had better be prepared to see some outside shooting.

As long as they don't shoot like Keith Appling, or those two guys from N. Texas!

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpstop Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 pm

I saw PSU some last year, and I really don't see anyone from the Vikings doing much to stop van der Mars on the block.  Cataldo is HUGE, works his tail off, and can effect things defensively down low. But they really don't play him much, he not very athletic, and he picks up fouls very quickly.  Having Aaron Moore as their tallest guy on the floor last year really caused them to give up points in the paint a lot, gave up a lot of layins .  Moore's a gifted ball player, but just not a center.  I'd like to see the Pilots go really big with van der Mars and Gerun at the same time like they did on Sunday.

jumpstop
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 am

From Greg Crawford:
If the game does sell out, then the Vikings are almost impossible to beat at the Stott Center and they will win, 95-90. If the total embarrassment does come and game is not sold out, then the Pilots win 81-69.
Hmm, does that mean we should NOT show up so the Pilots will win??

His article is here:
http://www.csnnw.com/blog/crawfords-court/anything-short-capacity-will-be-total-embarrassment
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 am

From the Portland Tribune this morning:
It only happens once a year.

Black Friday? Santa Claus coming down your chimney? Some alignment of stars and planets? No, but just as rare: Portland State and the University of Portland meeting on a basketball court.

For the men’s teams, it will happen on Saturday, when the Vikings and Pilots tip off at 7 p.m. at Stott Center.

The nonleague rivalry series stands in UP’s favor, 33-17, and the Pilots have won the last two years including 81-60 on Nov. 21, 2012.

This season, PSU is 4-2 and Portland is 5-3.

The Viks also are 4-0 at home this season and 5-3 at home against the Pilots since re-instating the hoops program on the South Park Blocks in 1996.

PSU’s starting point guard, Tim Douglas, is back on the court after redshirting per NCAA rules following his transfer from UP. Douglas has scored in double figures in all six games for PSU.

He spent two years on the bluff, averaging 7.7 points per game in 2010-11 and 8.5 points in 2011-12, with 24 total starts — and a career-high 27 points against Portland State in a 78-67 victory on Dec. 18, 2010.

@ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM Tim_do10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 am

Is this game still going to be played? I hear there's an inch of snow forecast for the Portland area today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:53 am

Snow done by early afternoon. I'm out doing Meals on Wheels and it isn't bad on the main roads.

It might be your chance to sample Portland's great public transportation. Max, trolley, and busses go right to PSU.

Of course, since you folks on the barbarian side of the river didn't vote for a Max connection....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:05 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Is this game still going to be played? I hear there's an inch of snow forecast for the Portland area today.
Ha, ha, ha, ha.....you hosers north of the 49th parallel may think we are all wimps down south, but I've got news for you.....to toughen our image, we're annexing much of your old province, British Columbia.

@ Portland State -- Saturday 12/7 @ 7 PM 4910

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:Is this game still going to be played? I hear there's an inch of snow forecast for the Portland area today.
Ha, ha, ha, ha.....you hosers north of the 49th parallel may think we are all wimps down south, but I've got news for you.....to toughen our image, we're annexing much of your old province, British Columbia.
Yeah but you're even annexing the wimpy part of BC - the Lower Mainland shuts down with an inch of snow too!

Don't worry, I'll admit it's just jealousy on my part. When I got up this morning the temperature was -26 F with wind chill blasting down to -47 F. Fortunately it's now warmed up to -17 F with -40 chill, but unfortunately the truck wouldn't start so I never got to work today.

Give me PNW weather any day of the week.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:57 pm

I won't make the game, but I will be proving my toughness by fishing and crabbing on the Pacific Ocean in Oregon in December.

Hopefully the internet feed is good(and that I thaw out by game time).
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:37 am

The pundits seem pretty divided on which team will win the game this evening, but Pomeroy is picking No. 138 UP by 4 points over No. 279 PSU.  

Others think the Vikings will prevail because they are undefeated at home, and because the emergence of Tim Douglas and DaShaun Wiggins, who generally comes in off the bench, will carry the day for PSU.    In PSU’s last game Wiggins scored 19 points in just 23 minutes of action.  The best player for PSU is definitely Douglas.  If the Pilots can nullify Douglas’ effectiveness at distributing and scoring, I don’t think the rest of the PSU team can pick up the slack.  

Whatever the outcome, it should be a very close and competitive game.  Let’s fill the Stott Center with Purple.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Nice win! van der Mars gets better and better (19 and 18, are you kidding me?) and that was one of the better games I've seen Thieleke play - within himself and effective. 3 blocks and a steal for Korey off the bench, not to mention the 6 points.

And hey, the 23 from Bailey was nice too!

I had the same replay on Big Sky TV that the officials had for the Thieleke/Moore incident that took a ridiculously long time to decide. The refs never were able to see video of it, only Moore and van der Mars bumping shoulders and Thieleke beginning a "discussion" with Moore - and that was it. So I'm pretty sure they were just guessing when Korey got the technical...at least, I thought it was a technical but as I look at the stats I see the only T was to Wintering for the minor brouhaha at the end - and that might have been the first basketball game I've ever seen where a player takes six consecutive free throws!

A nice win for the Pilots, and now they have eight full days to prepare for Montana State as the Big Sky Tour continues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:33 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It was not that many years ago (2009) that the Pilots were nationally ranked (No. 25) after a good tournament showing in Anaheim, only to lose at home to hot-shooting PSU 86-82. PSU was not necessarily known to be a 3-point shooting team that year either, but on that night they made 15 of 25 3-pointers to outscore the Pilots by 10 in the second half.

A look at Pomeroy’s stats will show that UP is currently No. 309 in the nation at defending the 3-ball and PSU is No. 94 in effectively shooting the 3-ball.   I’m not making any predictions based upon those stats, but based upon the Vikings lack of inside height, the Pilots had better be prepared to see some outside shooting.
Good call - they hit 10 of 18 from three-point range. 5-for-8 from Douglas alone who had a fine game for PSU.

p.s. was that video screen as annoying live as it was on the Big Sky TV cast? Massive glare off the floor especially in the latter stages of the second half.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:54 pm

I was sitting close to it, the pixels are about the size of a nickel. Text was unreadable.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:57 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Nice win! van der Mars gets better and better (19 and 18, are you kidding me?) and that was one of the better games I've seen Thieleke play - within himself and effective. 3 blocks and a steal for Korey off the bench, not to mention the 6 points.

And hey, the 23 from Bailey was nice too!

I had the same replay on Big Sky TV that the officials had for the Thieleke/Moore incident that took a ridiculously long time to decide. The refs never were able to see video of it, only Moore and van der Mars bumping shoulders and Thieleke beginning a "discussion" with Moore - and that was it. So I'm pretty sure they were just guessing when Korey got the technical...at least, I thought it was a technical but as I look at the stats I see the only T was to Wintering for the minor brouhaha at the end - and that might have been the first basketball game I've ever seen where a player takes six consecutive free throws!

A nice win for the Pilots, and now they have eight full days to prepare for Montana State as the Big Sky Tour continues.
As announced at the arena: First get-together (with about 4 minutes left) was a flagrant 1 on Thieleke.

At the end: Technicals on Wintering (5th foul, so he just fouled out and was NOT ejected) for UP, and Aaron Moore, Gary Winston (also ejected), and the PSU bench.

Huge second half for van der Mars. He got a bunch of key rebounds at both ends when the Pilots needed a stop or score. As we predicted here, once the Pilots used their size and tightened up on the Vikings' shooters, they were able to build a lead (I was right behind the bench so I heard Rev tell them more than once to get it inside so great minds think alike Wink ). I should also mention the nice game for Tim Douglas, who had 27 points.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpstop Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

After tonight, I have a new appreciation for quite a few of the Pilots.  That was an extremely hostile, crazy environment in a tiny gym where the crowd was right on top of the court, the fire alarm was constantly going off,  it was a pretty physical game, and Aaron Moore was trying all night to start an altercation.  The Pilots didn't back down one bit.  After only seeing them play a handful of times I didn't know how tough this team is, Thielke, Bailey, van der Mars, Wintering, etc.  They all seemed extremely tough and didn't back down at all.

jumpstop
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:55 am

It was an interesting game. Much closer than the score reflects. I was rather hoping folks at UP we're paying attention to everything that went along with the game. - free food with your admission
- great halftime entertainment with the balloon man
- amusing and/or different court activities with nearly every time out
- the pep band that played non-traditional songs, including singing during a few of them, and showed how much they were enjoying themselves
- the dance team that did routines to both new music and music that people over 25 have heard before (and their "Risky Business" dance routine was pure clever)
- even the Neil Dimond "Sweet Caroline" song during the excessively prolonged time-out-for-a-technical-we-never-saw-but-we-trust-the-PSU-coach-to-tell-us was a nice touch.

It wasn't all great (Ron Wyden's ceremonial jump ball was stupid and playing music during the Pilot introductions was tacky), but all in all, a lot UP could emulate and learn from.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next