Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

+13
mattywizz
Bewhy U Koogs
DJ Sherman
ShipstadPilot11
PurplePrideTrumpet
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
upsailor
blacksheep
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm - Page 2 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:34 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:There was an alumni game after the USF game a couple weeks ago. You probably would have loved it.
I've been told the former players want another game during reunion weekend in June. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11311
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm - Page 2 Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:37 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
PilotNut wrote:The key is getting the first "Go!" loud enough... Maybe you should stand down by the scorer's table and start it...! Very Happy
My plan, exactly. Probably between the center and bench sections.
There is no doubt in my mind that BYU fans will be chanting back and forth across the arena. We may be outnumbered, but with the student’s help we should at least be heard to be making an effort and encouraging our student-athletes.

I'd rather go down in flames than not put up a fight! :face:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:09 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I'd rather go down in flames than not put up a fight! :face:
I hope others feel this way. pirat
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:33 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
PilotNut wrote:The key is getting the first "Go!" loud enough... Maybe you should stand down by the scorer's table and start it...! Very Happy
My plan, exactly. Probably between the center and bench sections.

You really need one person on each side minimum. One to lead us old farts and one to lead the students. If we did this more often you'd really only need one person to get it going, but it's been a lot easier to get going with 2. If you only have one then stick that person in front of the old folks. We need better motivation, and if the students can't figure it out on their own .... Evil or Very Mad

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

dholcombe wrote:You really need one person on each side minimum. One to lead us old farts and one to lead the students. If we did this more often you'd really only need one person to get it going, but it's been a lot easier to get going with 2. If you only have one then stick that person in front of the old folks. We need better motivation, and if the students can't figure it out on their own .... Evil or Very Mad
I know many of the current students, so I can give them a heads up before we do it so they can pick it up quickly. I guess we'll see how it goes.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I will be one of the student representatives. However several students have stated they would not be attending tonight because they would rather go to a dance that does not start until 9. Rolling Eyes

Padre has brought some people so the spirit will be willing, even if the numbers are weak.
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:16 pm

DJ Sherman wrote:several students have stated they would not be attending tonight because they would rather go to a dance that does not start until 9. Rolling Eyes

I don't even know how to respond to that Evil or Very Mad

As for the game . . . to quote The Schonz, " You've got to make your free throws!!!!"
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Frustrating game, to miss free that many free throws... and to allow BYU to attempt that many.

The game was not out of hand until the last 2 minutes or so, but we just couldnt execute when we needed to.

I will refrain from commenting about other aspects of the night until I have taken a few more deep breaths... silent

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:44 pm

PilotNut wrote:Frustrating game, to miss free that many free throws... and to allow BYU to attempt that many.

The game was not out of hand until the last 2 minutes or so, but we just couldnt execute when we needed to.

I will refrain from commenting about other aspects of the night until I have taken a few more deep breaths... silent

We actually had a decent shooting percentage and made a few threes, but all of a sudden we can't make a free throw or get a rebound, two things we've actually done all right this year. And then there were the 21 turnovers. It should have been a 19-point blowout long before the last minute.

I thought the students were pretty good tonight. The section wasn't full but the guys in front were doing fine. I actually would rather have four rows of students who are into it than a full section with a lot of indifferent people throughout.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Season low in Free Throw % Hitting my head agai

Season high in Turnovers Hitting my head agai Hitting my head agai

BYU looked flat to me, and the Pilots may have let another one get away. Beating a Dead Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:31 pm

BTW, whatever happened to the cheers of "Go!" "Pilots!" back and forth across the floor? . . .
Hopefully the dance team pulls out the purple pom poms, the students are pumped & don't resort to lazy chants (i.e. USD game), and the Pilots come out with fire.
It's a Dance Team, they are obviously not cheerleaders, as they never try to lead any cheers. And they gave the purple pom poms to the kids who went to the dance clinic. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bewhy U Koogs Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi Pilots. As a BYU fan I wanted to drop by shake your hand (figuretively of course) and tell you good game / great effort. Your team has some great young talent, especially down low. Don't give up on them while they go through this learning curve. I'm sure with your coach it will be a very short curve for them before he has them contending in the WCC. I heard on tv tonight that your administration let the BYU fans stay after so that the players/coaches could come out before getting on the bus and meet them. Very classy and appreciated. Stay positive and here's to the next time we meet there are about half the turn overs AND foul shots for both teams. Made it very hard for fans from either team to get in to the game tonight. As the announcers said...not to many fans jump out of their seats and give a roar of approval for free throws.

Bewhy U Koogs
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Turnovers and Free Throws Costly in Portland Loss to BYU

PORTLAND, Ore. --- University of Portland struggled with missed free throws and turnovers, while Brigham Young University tied a Chiles Center record with 53 free throw attempts as the Cougars pulled away for a 79-60 victory before 4,159 fans on Saturday night. The Pilots outshot the Cougars 45 percent to 35 percent for the game and had a 22-19 edge in field goals made, but the Cougars capitalized on a decisive advantage from the foul line. The visiting Cougars made 38 free throws, while Portland was just 10-for-23 at the free throw line and committed 24 turnovers to BYU’s 12.

Freshman guard Kevin Bailey led the way for the Pilots with 15 points, while junior Brandon Davies paced five Cougars in double figures with 18 points and 13 rebounds.

The game was even throughout most of the first half until BYU pulled ahead 27-19 on a three-pointer by Charles Abouo with five minutes remaining in the half. Portland cut the lead to 32-27 at the halftime buzzer, and caught fire to start the second half as Bailey scored nine points during a 12-3 run that put the Pilots up by four with 16 minutes remaining.

But the lead would not last as the Cougars shot 36 free throws – making 29 – and the Pilots committed 15 turnovers from that point forward. The Pilots remained within striking distance for most of second half, cutting the lead to seven on a David Carr three-pointer with 4:11 on the clock. Portland then missed a three-pointer and two free throws after a technical foul was called on Davies as BYU would extend the margin in the closing minutes from the line.

Sophomore forward Ryan Nicholas finished with eight points and 11 rebounds for the Pilots (6-18, 3-Cool. Freshman forward Dorian Cason provided a spark off the bench with nine points and four steals before fouling out in 15 minutes of action.

BYU (20-6, 8-3 WCC) gained a 41-30 rebounding margin, including 16 offensive rebounds. The Cougars also held a 25-9 advantage in points off of turnovers. Freshman guard Matt Carlino had 13 points, despite shooting 3-of-11 from the field. Senior forward Noah Hartsock was 0-for-6 from the floor, but made all 12 of his free throw attempts.

Portland will return to the Chiles Center on Thursday to face the Loyola Marymount Lions at 8 p.m. One lucky fan will win a trip to Hawaii and the UP track team will host the halftime mile on the Chiles Center track. Tickets are still available through all Ticketmaster outlets and online at www.ticketmaster.com. For more information visit www.portlandpilots.com.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:10 am

Team fought tough, but as has been said it is difficult to win while turning the ball over and missing free throws. It sucks watching a game at Chiles that sounds like a road game for the Pilots. BYU's announcers were quite complimentary of the Pilots and the teams' future. My favorite comment from the announcers was something to the effect of "In the WCC we have seen some inexperienced officials that the Cougars were not used to in the MWC." I believe if he were not on TV a different word than "inexperienced" might have been used.

mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:52 am

Bewhy U Koogs wrote:...not to many fans jump out of their seats and give a roar of approval for free throws.

I certainly did this game.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:14 pm

mattywizz wrote:"In the WCC we have seen some inexperienced officials that the Cougars were not used to in the MWC."
MWC officials are nothing to brag about. Maybe they got used to Jimmer being allowed to travel so often.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:31 pm

pilotram wrote:
mattywizz wrote:"In the WCC we have seen some inexperienced officials that the Cougars were not used to in the MWC."
MWC officials are nothing to brag about. Maybe they got used to Jimmer being allowed to travel so often.

That's what they meant, though traveling wasn't exactly #1 on the list of calls to make last night.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Anyone else notice the blind referee sitting in the second row? He would have done a better job at times. But, I do think that 53 free throws against 23 is a little strange.

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 pm

We missed the front end of at least 4 1 and 1's that I remember. That plus the technicals had we made front and back end would have put us within 1 late instead of down 11 and we wouldn't have had to foul so much. It could have been a game even with all the turnovers. Too bad about the free throws. Not sure why guys were off.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am

I'll hold my tongue about everything else, but I will speak up a bit for the students... the Schoenfeldt guys were awesome, and were painted up at least an hour and a half before the game. They are trying to start up a tradition connecting their dorm to basketball in the same way that Villa is tied to soccer, and they should be encouraged every step of the way in that endeavor. Great job, guys! Hope some more of your friends come to the next game!

As for the rest of the student body - don't blame them, blame UP for stupidly scheduling the most popular student dance of the year (1,000 students go to the Crystal Ballroom downtown) the same night as a big basketball game.

Even though the dance started after 9, the buses to take kids downtown started loading at 8:30. Really, there wasn't much of an option for kids to go to the game if they were planning on going to the dance unless they had some way to get a ride to the Crystal Ballroom on their own. And since freshman aren't allowed to have cars and not that many upper-classmen have cars either, pretty much everyone was planning on taking the buses.

Not trying to make excuses, just saying... don't blame the students. Blame UP.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 am

Stonehouse wrote:the Schoenfeldt guys were awesome, and were painted up at least an hour and a half before the game. They are trying to start up a tradition connecting their dorm to basketball in the same way that Villa is tied to soccer, and they should be encouraged every step of the way in that endeavor. Great job, guys! Hope some more of your friends come to the next game!
I was very happy when I saw the students that were in the front row. The Padre guys and the other folks that were there are fantastic. They're devoted fans and they are definitely willing to cheer. They deserve all the credit in the world. Those folks show up on a regular basis and cheer and care about the game. I could tell from my seat on the other side of Chiles that one young man was red-faced yelling at the refs - I like to see emotion like that.
Stonehouse wrote:Even though the dance started after 9, the buses to take kids downtown started loading at 8:30. Really, there wasn't much of an option for kids to go to the game if they were planning on going to the dance unless they had some way to get a ride to the Crystal Ballroom on their own. And since freshman aren't allowed to have cars and not that many upper-classmen have cars either, pretty much everyone was planning on taking the buses.

Not trying to make excuses, just saying... don't blame the students. Blame UP.
In my experience many students don't go until 10 or 11 and the buses run pretty constantly throughout the night. Granted, maybe that changed this year but I don't see the game and dance as mutually exclusive. However, I realize that many students want to 'socialize' before the dance and may have opted to do that rather than go to the game. Definitely a scheduling issue but I think anyone with the desire to could have attended both events.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am

So.. The choice was pre-func or game, not dance or game?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:56 am

Just echoing what Stony and SP11 wrote, great enthusiasm from the students that were there, and I agree the scheduling SNAFU definitely was a factor. No, the game and dance are not mutually exclusive, but come on, the chance to squeeze a girl (or whatever) versus watching a bunch of sweaty guys has got to give the typical male undergrad a reason to question his priorities.

My one bone to pick with the GO PILOTS guys is, with about two minute to go the GO had gone home, as had a number of people (again). Embarassed

There is no doubt the final score did not reflect the closeness of the game, and I think that kept our fans vocal (and we were!) even though we were outnumbered by those wearing blue and white.

Two home games to go and they are both on a Thursday night; never the best night for fans young and old. How do we get the students out in numbers and noise? SP11, you’re the one with student contacts, we’re counting on you. :face:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:02 pm

I agree that the students--particularly the Schoenfeldt guys in front--were doing a great job!! Keep it up, guys! Hopefully they can keep up the excitement and it will build! Hopefully the Athletic Department can also encourage them, too, with some tools...

I noticed that the student numbers certainly dwindled late in the game (not the Schoenfeldts, though!), and the buses would be the reason. Poor planning on the school's part.

Keep it up, Schoenfeldt Hall!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Two home games to go and they are both on a Thursday night; never the best night for fans young and old. How do we get the students out in numbers and noise? SP11, you’re the one with student contacts, we’re counting on you. :face:
I wasn't successful in motivating attendance as a student and I'm not sure how I'd accomplish it now. I know many of the students that are passionate about the team but they aren't the ones who need motivating...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next