Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohio

+9
dholcombe
ShipstadPilot11
Geezaldinho
Eagle66
PilotNut
blacksheep
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
Woodless!
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ohio - Page 2 Empty Re: Ohio

Post by oldtimer Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:52 pm

"We’re young, but I don’t think the coaches put the guys in a position to play their best as a team over the last couple of games"

Double Dipper, can you elaborate a bit? Were you just talking about playing time or?

"I was wondering tha myself. It seems weird that we are letting a few of the guys tire themselves out completely. I realize that Barker and Waterford are hurt. But, I feel like we can afford to see more from Carr and J. Bailey. Half of our bench was wearing warm ups at times because they weren't going to play. All I can say to this is that I hope all of these sophomore and freshmen guys play well in the future since they are getting decent amount of minutes this year.

Also, with both of our seniors playing limited minutes, who is the leader?."

RCP- Who were you referring to above regarding allowing players to tire themselves out completely? If you compare the minutes played between the starters this year compared to last you will notice that we are better balancing playing time. There are of course exceptions (point guards generally play more minutes).
Carr is in the EXACT position Tanner was last year, played a ton the first five games or so and then to the bench. I dont understand it just making a comparison. And RCP the only player that John Bailey could take minutes from is Cason, is that what you were advocating? I havent seen enough of him to make an assessment but what I do know is that at a minimum Nicholas needs to be on the floor 25 minutes (which is his average so far this year).

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless! Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 am

I don't know what I was thinking with that green jacket not too well thought out especially considering that I had two purple jackets in my office.

I kept waiting for K. Bailey to put the squad on his back and pull out the win. Guess he's too young for that.
Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 am

Yeah, this was a bummer of a loss. I remember in a pre-season interview, Rev stated that the best way to coach the new young talent was to adapt the system to the talent instead of adapting the talent to the system. At the time, it sounded great. But, now, I don't think so.

I mean the guys that we brought in are more athletic than we've had for a while, but, now other teams are beating us the way that we used to beat them...with better basketball IQ (in addition to athleticism). Ohio is a team that played Louisville close, however, they didn't beat Louisville. We need to do better, and as much as I like Rev, the coaching staff does deserve some of the blame for games like this one...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 am

oldtimer wrote:"We’re young, but I don’t think the coaches put the guys in a position to play their best as a team over the last couple of games"

Double Dipper, can you elaborate a bit? Were you just talking about playing time or?
The short answer: we need more time-outs and more shooters on the court when the game starts getting out of control.

The very long answer: we are playing the 5th most difficult in schedule in the country; the guys are tired from the travel and the physical nature of the game. Because they are tired they tend to wilt in the second half in comparison to their opponents who are older and stronger and more accustomed to the grind of college ball.

My point was/is, when they fall behind they start chasing more and more to catch up, and expend more and more energy to do so; that’s the nature of the game. When we continue to fall behind and our defensive legs are leaving us, we’ve got to get some potential offense in the game, and instead of saving our timeouts for the end of the game, the coaches need to stop the flow when the game is slipping further away.

But, having said that, it would appear the coaches are preparing our young guys for the grind of WCC play; they’re paid to make the decisions. I’m just frustrated with losing when we have the student athletes to compete better than we are. scratch
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11311
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:57 am

oldtimer wrote: Carr is in the EXACT position Tanner was last year, played a ton the first five games or so and then to the bench. I dont understand it just making a comparison.
Re: Tanner Riley last year; he faced the same situation that most freshmen do; when they get shutdown or shutout or don’t play to the level they expect, they lose confidence. This is not just my take on the Riley/Carr situation; this is what their more senior teammates say. Another one who is totally without confidence at the moment is Eric W. He really can shoot, and his leg is really close to 100% (I’m told). He needs to get some minutes! santa
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot2002 Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:30 pm

The big thing I have noticed this year in the last two home games was how easily the opposing teams point guards got to the basket against Douglas. I did not see this as a problem last year, but then again we had Sikma and Knutson as defensive stoppers in the middle that we don't have yet this year. Not having Barker is making a big impact on both ends of the court.

It frustrates me to see Cason take three point shots. I see signs of Cason being good, but he has to get in shape with the help of the training staff. He can't last more than 2 - 3 minutes at a time on the court. He had a wide open layup/dunk that he missed because he couldn't jump.

If Waterford is close to 100% I would like to see him get more minutes. I think he is a great defender and runs the offense well. He does shoot the 3 pointer decently. He just needs to keep a positive attitude and when he is open shoot the ball. Same with Rodgers. He is not as good of shooter, but as one of my basketball coaches said growing up you can't score if you don't shoot the ball.

Pilot2002
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 am

I can't imagine why anyone would read this recap. Razz

http://www.midmajority.com/p/2280

This one is much better.

http://www.midmajority.com/p/2281
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:21 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would read this recap. Razz

This one is much better.

"The remaining excitement was sapped by the news that the Teletubbies were relieved of their free-throw distracting duties. Apparently people at the Washington State game complained they were, of all things, distractions. "

Now I've never really understood the whole Teletubby thing, but this is ridiculous. Next, they're going to tell us we can't have beer at the pregame pasta dinner!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:55 am

blacksheep wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would read this recap. Razz

This one is much better.

"The remaining excitement was sapped by the news that the Teletubbies were relieved of their free-throw distracting duties. Apparently people at the Washington State game complained they were, of all things, distractions. "

Now I've never really understood the whole Teletubby thing, but this is ridiculous. Next, they're going to tell us we can't have beer at the pregame pasta dinner!

So, no Teletubbies at the Ohio game or no Teletubbies period?

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:58 am

They were there, but they weren't doing their normal antics during free throws.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:18 pm

They were down in the student section outside of the Halftime Mascot Scrimmage and even tried a new outlet for their energy:

Ohio - Page 2 6500243635_28ef7abc19

The Teletubbies might not have had a large impact on FT%, but their antics are milder than students clearly acing their Public Speaking with Liquid Courage courses, utilizing expletives and simply telling players they suck.

DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:31 pm

When the students get back they need to make an I Stand With The Teletubbies banner.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:41 pm

I like the people inside the costumes but I could do without the Teletubbies. That's just me though.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:20 pm

blacksheep wrote:They were there, but they weren't doing their normal antics during free throws.
Down in front! I'm old!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:They cheer for the University of Portland State.
After the game last evening I spoke to one of the many Ohio U. fans in attendance, and was asked why our dance team was using pompoms with their team colors. I responded, “We got them at a bargain price from Portland State.” Upon arriving home last evening I used a link on the UP Athletic Department website to ask the department the color question; I’m eagerly waiting with beer breath for a reply. confused
OK, UP Athletic Department, I've asked the question twice with NO REPLY! Does anyone have the pass code to get an answer from our new interim AD?

When we played Montana at home on 12/17, we had some middle-school or high-school cheer girls in attendance who actually had purple and white pompoms, so I know they exist. scratch

We play another "green team" at the Chiles Center on 1/21 when USF comes to town for a 1:30 game; we'd better have it sorted out by then. Are there any PN regulars who can help? Woodless? PilotNut? Stonehouse?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:When we played Montana at home on 12/17, we had some middle-school or high-school cheer girls in attendance who actually had purple and white pompoms, so I know they exist. scratch

We play another "green team" at the Chiles Center on 1/21 when USF comes to town for a 1:30 game; we'd better have it sorted out by then.
Word from a “trusted source” is the Pilots pompoms are purple, but are “iridescent,” making them appear “greenish” in the lights of the EACC. Hmmm, is fix on the way? Perception is reality, regardless the color of your pompoms. clown
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:When we played Montana at home on 12/17, we had some middle-school or high-school cheer girls in attendance who actually had purple and white pompoms, so I know they exist. scratch

We play another "green team" at the Chiles Center on 1/21 when USF comes to town for a 1:30 game; we'd better have it sorted out by then.
Word from a “trusted source” is the Pilots pompoms are purple, but are “iridescent,” making them appear “greenish” in the lights of the EACC. Hmmm, is fix on the way? Perception is reality, regardless the color of your pompoms. clown

Yep. I am a really good looking guy, I only look fat and bald in the lights of EACC. scratch
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2