Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohio

+9
dholcombe
ShipstadPilot11
Geezaldinho
Eagle66
PilotNut
blacksheep
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
Woodless!
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ohio Empty Ohio

Post by Woodless! Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:10 pm

I don't know anything about Ohio. I know they are pretty good, like 6-1 or something like that. Offer from WSU game stands...

...if anyone is thirsty before the game stop by the Alumni Relations Office at 6625 N Portsmouth before the game. It's officially Pilot Nation night over here (again). Maybe PilotNut will make an appearance. I'll be here around 5:30p. See you guys then...

Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Ohio Empty Re: Ohio

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Woodless! wrote:I don't know anything about Ohio. I know they are pretty good, like 6-1 or something like that.

OK, Woodless, I’ll pick up the ball and run with it….. Razz

Ohio University, is #89 in the nation (UP is #175) and they’re a darned good team.

As oldtimer said in a recent post: It doesn’t get any easier with Ohio coming to town Saturday, they are a legit MAC team and challenged Louisville until the end. At least we will be at home, something we haven’t enjoyed in a while.

The Mid Atlantic Conference is ranked 16 out of 33 conferences; the WCC has dropped a spot to 11/33. Ohio is ranked 3/12 in the MAC behind Kent St. and Buffalo.

Ohio is, as you said, 6-1, their wins are against:

#313 Tennessee Martin at home 74-65
#136 Lamar at home 85-78 in OT
#198 Arkansas St. at home 69-54
# 67 Marshall on the road 70-68
#188 Morgan St. at home 61-53
#121 Oakland on the road 84-82

Their only loss was to #9 Louisville 54-59 at Louisville.

Their strength of schedule is 123/345 (ours is still 4/345) and they are favored to beat us 72-70 with a 57% probability.

I may add some individual players to watch later, unless someone else would like to jump in.

*all rankings come from kenpom.com.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11259
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

I may add some individual players to watch later, unless someone else would like to jump in.

No, no, let me jump in here:

Ohio U. is led by junior PG #5 D.J. Cooper, a former freshman of the year in the MAC and current first team all MAC player. He’s about Tim’s size, is just an average shooter, but is so quick that he’s fouled a lot and shoots 70% at the line while averaging over 14 points and 6 assists per game.

Their junior SG is #3 Walter Offutt a transfer from Ohio State averaging over 12 ppg.

Their inside points and rebounds come from junior #30 Reggie Keely and junior #23 Ivo Baltic; both are averaging around 10 points and 6 boards per game; and both are 6’8”.

Ohio is 234/345 in the nation with regard to player experience, averaging 1.46 years; UP is 320/345, averaging 1.03 years.

You’ll notice their top four players are juniors and their fifth is a sophomore. We get to play these guys next year in Athens, Ohio! silent
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Yeah, but what about their mascot? It is mascot night.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:38 pm

up7587 wrote:Yeah, but what about their mascot? It is mascot night.

You know, I actually did think about mentioning they were the "Bobcats," but I have a hunch their travel budget will not allow Bob to join in the merryment on Saturday night.

You'll find a caricature of Bob and pictures of some of his friends here:http://www.ohiobobcats.com/view.gal?id=5603 Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 pm

We need to convert those Telle Tubby guys in to ninjas equipped complete with throwing stars and blow dart guns. Wait did ninjas use blow darts? Either way could be an effective way to disrupt their free throw attempts.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:and pictures of some of his friends here:http://www.ohiobobcats.com/view.gal?id=5603 Razz
Thank you for that cheers

I would like to see retro Wally at mascot night!

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Woodless! wrote:Maybe PilotNut will make an appearance.

Well I never could resist a good cameo...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 pm

PilotNut wrote:
Woodless! wrote:Maybe PilotNut will make an appearance.

Well I never could resist a good cameo...

...or a free beer Cheers!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:44 pm

blacksheep wrote:...or a free beer Cheers!

Well, that too...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle66 Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:36 am

Ohio fan here. Sounds like our Portland Area Alumni Group will have about 50 Bobcat fans in attendance. (Hopefully the football team can get that many when they play in the Potato Bowl in Boise next week) I was kind of surprised to see us playing in Portland, without another West Coast game to go along with it. Most Bobcat fans are thinking this will be a good game.

We are 1-1 against Portland all time, both games in Portland. Portland won 68-66 during the 1999-2000 season and Ohio winning 67-65 in 1967-1968.

We are members of the Mid-American Conference. We won our conference tournament and beat Georgetown in the first round of the NCAA two years ago. As mentioned above we are a young team, with no seniors. We actually have some depth for the first time in a while, usually going 10 deep.

DJ Cooper #5 is a lot of fun to watch. His shot selection is questionable at times, but he’s lightning quick. He finished in the top 10 in steals nationally last year I believe.

Besides the other players double dipper mentioned, Sophomore Nick Kellogg (Son of Clark Kellogg) is a good defensive guard with some range. Freshman Stevie Taylor also looks like he will be something special.

Will there be anywhere we can watch the game on-line?

Anyway good luck, and feel free to stop by bobcatattack.com and say hi if you'd like.

Eagle66
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 am

Eagle66 wrote:

Will there be anywhere we can watch the game on-line?

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/up.portal#

Gets you live video/live audio/ live stats.

It works on portable devices as well (iPhone/iPad)

Enjoy the game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Our cheerleaders look conflicted. Purple tops, green and white pom poms...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:09 pm

green and white pom poms...
Hitting my head agai #pompomfail

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:30 pm

They've had those all year. Evil or Very Mad

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

They cheer for the University of Portland State.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 pm

They probably Pilot a Viking Airship.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 am

Two of the Teletubbies can dunk. Shocked

That's all I got tonight. I'm frustrated.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:28 am

Bailey got a bunch of minutes without getting into foul trouble. Earlier in the year he seemed to be picking up a lot of fouls in limited minutes and even fouled out in just 13 minutes one game.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:48 pm

A frustrating game to watch... Ohio is a very good & athletic team, but we just could not execute on offense, and boy did we miss Riley Barker.

Hopefully a week off for finals will help the team prepare for Montana, as we looked a bit mentally and physically tired.

It was great, in the first half, to see us push the tempo as much as we did; we havent had the depth or athleticism to do that for a long time.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:38 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:They cheer for the University of Portland State.
After the game last evening I spoke to one of the many Ohio U. fans in attendance, and was asked why our dance team was using pompoms with their team colors. I responded, “We got them at a bargain price from Portland State.” Upon arriving home last evening I used a link on the UP Athletic Department website to ask the department the color question; I’m eagerly waiting with beer breath for a reply. confused
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:45 pm

PilotNut wrote:................we looked a bit mentally and physically tired.
Am I the only one who saw the game last evening that’s more than a little concerned about some of the coaching decisions and use of a short bench when it appeared our guys were being ground into the hardwood? For me it was a repeat of Boise State in almost all respects; competitive early, short bench, tired legs.

We’re young, but I don’t think the coaches put the guys in a position to play their best as a team over the last couple of games.

cheers On a positive note; I will take the character of our team over any other. The exhibition by the Xavier and Cincinnati "student athletes" certainly brought that realization to the fore.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Big Second Half Lifts Bobcats Over Pilots

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The Ohio Bobcats turned a three point halftime lead into a 72-54 victory over the Portland Pilots on Saturday before 2,002 fans at the Chiles Center. Freshman Kevin Bailey and sophomore Ryan Nicholas scored 13 points each to lead the Pilots, while D.J. Cooper recorded a triple-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists to lead the Bobcats. Ohio improves to 7-1 on the season, while the Pilots fall to 3-7.

Bailey had a solid all-around game for the Pilots in his second career start, finishing with season-highs of four rebounds and five assists while not committing a single turnover. Sophomore Tanner Riley added 10 points and three assists in his second straight start.

Cooper, who also had five steals on the night, led four Bobcats in double figures. Walter Offutt added 12 points, while Jon Smith and Ricardo Johnson chipped in 11 and 10 points, respectively.

The Pilots led late in the first half following a steal and three-pointer by Riley that gave the home team a 32-27 edge with 2:31 left in the first period. Ohio called a timeout and then promptly went on an 11-0 run. Riley drilled one more three before the half to pull Portland within 38-35 at the break.

Two free throws by Bailey to start the second period made it a one-point game, but a 9-1 run gave the Bobcats a little cushion. A jumper by Reggie Keely gave Ohio a 54-43 lead with 10:24 remaining and the Bobcats would maintain a double-digit lead throughout.

Portland shot 37 percent from the field and made 5-of-19 three-pointers for the game. Ohio shot 43 percent from the floor and 5-for-20 from beyond the arc. The Bobcats gained a 40-31 rebounding edge and 12-2 margin in second chance points. The Pilots were held to 19 second half points.

Portland was without sophomore center Riley Barker (knee) for the third consecutive game.

The Pilots will continue their brief home stand when the Montana Grizzlies visit the Chiles Center on Saturday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. Tickets are available through all Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com and through the Pilot Box Office (M-F, 11am-5pm, 503-943-7525).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:14 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
After the game last evening I spoke to one of the many Ohio U. fans in attendance, and was asked why our dance team was using pompoms with their team colors.
Oh, and another thing, why was Woodless wearing the Ohio U. team colors at last night's game? And what color was Larry Willams wearing last evening? Just asking. confused
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:35 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Am I the only one who saw the game last evening that’s more than a little concerned about some of the coaching decisions and use of a short bench when it appeared our guys were being ground into the hardwood?

I was wondering tha myself. It seems weird that we are letting a few of the guys tire themselves out completely. I realize that Barker and Waterford are hurt. But, I feel like we can afford to see more from Carr and J. Bailey. Half of our bench was wearing warm ups at times because they weren't going to play. All I can say to this is that I hope all of these sophomore and freshmen guys play well in the future since they are getting decent amount of minutes this year.

Also, with both of our seniors playing limited minutes, who is the leader?

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next