Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ Seattle U 2/5 7:10 PM

+14
DoubleDipper
upsailor
ShipstadPilot11
Rob's Jacket
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotDrummer
Stonehouse
PilotNut
onetouchfutbol
tmac2218
Rochin54
adoptedzag
MesaPilot1
DaTruRochin
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots @ Seattle U  2/5 7:10 PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ Seattle U 2/5 7:10 PM

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:20 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2011/2/5/MBB_0205115029.aspx

It is cool that Luke Sikma is 3 rebounds away from being UP's all time leader. We're witnessing Pilot history with the senior years of Sikma and Stohl.

And Rev is two wins away from passing Edmond Fiene (1928-34) for sixth on the UP wins list, behind Jack Avina, Al Negratti, Mush Torson, Edwin Fitzpatrick, and THE Rob Chavez.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ Seattle U  2/5 7:10 PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ Seattle U 2/5 7:10 PM

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:52 am

Mesa, was there any at mid-court afterward? Or is it only okay to do that if you've been doing it for a long time? Beating a Dead Horse [/quote]

Dont get me started PPT, I must be going through post dog death depression....I'm the guy sleeping through the game Suspect ...whose supposed to be taking roll call on the chat room...but just finished up watching the PILOTS WIN!!!

I swear next game Mattywizz and I will have to start a fans from afar club who miss the game and watch it on their DVR club!! Embarassed

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:03 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:It is cool that Luke Sikma is 3 rebounds away from being UP's all time leader. We're witnessing Pilot history with the senior years of Sikma and Stohl.

And don't forget "Newt-son" who set a UP Career record today.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:07 pm

That had to be the ugliest game I have seen in a long time. Even with that the game never really felt out of hand. And you have to wonder what Cameron Dollar was thinking letting his players give Jared as much space as they did (Not that I'm complaining).

In a lot of ways it felt like the team was experimenting a bit, working on different sets and whatnot, but it was a great opportunity to give extended minutes to some of the bench guys (Jared, Nem, Kramer and Luke rested for large chunks of the second half) It was also really cool that Rev let all 5 freshman play those last 2 minutes, hahaha maybe Thielke can give Jasonn some tips on how to block a 3 pointer Razz
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I can't imagine what got into Douglas, as he has had trouble at times with TO's, but that had to take the cake.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:54 am

Thought it would be a good idea to resurrect this thread as it represents the last time UP and Seattle U. met on the basketball court....February 5, 2011.

After Seattle U. lost to the Pilots two years in a row, Seattle Coach Cameron Dollar refused to schedule the Pilots again....even though Coach Reveno wanted to start a home and home series with the Redhawks.

But now Coach Dollar is gone, fired after 8 seasons in which he "was unable to turn the program around."

Portland vs. Seattle is a natural rivalry in so many ways....Coach Porter should reach out to schedule a regular series with Seattle U. as soon as they have their new staff in place.

(This thread is also a nice little slice of PilotNation history...back when men's basketball and women's soccer were having much more success and the forum was much more active).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11259
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 am

I don't think Seattle U would have ever been in a position to actually decline playing someone for a reason like that. Was there some bad blood between the coaches aside from just two victories? Reminds me of how we haven't played Oregon since beating them in Chiles in 2008(?).

I agree. We need some more natural rivals. Seattle U would be a good one. I wish our own intra-city rivalry had more meaning to it. We should have some all sports type trophy between the two schools seeing as we schedule them in men's basketball, women's basketball, volleyball, women's soccer, men's tennis, and women's tennis.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:30 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:I don't think Seattle U would have ever been in a position to actually decline playing someone for a reason like that. Was there some bad blood between the coaches aside from just two victories? Reminds me of how we haven't played Oregon since beating them in Chiles in 2008(?).
Yeah, I didn't mean to infer there were no scheduled games because of those two losses, it was only meant as a timeline...

According to the UP coaching staff there was no "bad blood," but they felt Dollar was about the most uncooperative coach they'd ever encountered.  I don't think UP's staff really ever understood why.....maybe someone else has a perspective on this.

UP beat Oregon at home in 2005 in what was a very strange season regarding wins and losses.  UP lost to Georgia Southern, San Jose St., Montana St., and not D1 Seattle U, but won the state of Oregon by beating Portland St. and Oregon St in back-to-back home games, and then 12 days later beat a very good Oregon team in the Chiles Center....all in Michael Holton's last season on the Bluff.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:UP beat Oregon at home in 2005 in what was a very strange season regarding wins and losses.  UP lost to Georgia Southern, San Jose St., Montana St., and not D1 Seattle U, but won the state of Oregon by beating Portland St. and Oregon St in back-to-back home games, and then 12 days later beat a very good Oregon team in the Chiles Center....all in Michael Holton's last season on the Bluff.

Ahh... But, I was thinking of this game in 2009: video highlights!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Oh, that was a fun year with a very good team that included Kramer Knutson.

They started the year 5-0, including wins over UO, UCLA, and Minnesota, and they went undefeated at home except for a loss to GU.

They finished 21-11, but that included a postseason loss to Northern Colorado...a game they should have won.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:They started the year 5-0, including wins over UO, UCLA, and Minnesota, and they went undefeated at home except for a loss to GU.

I, too, prefer to forget about the Portland State debacle at home the week after the 5-0 start.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:They started the year 5-0, including wins over UO, UCLA, and Minnesota, and they went undefeated at home except for a loss to GU.

I, too, prefer to forget about the Portland State debacle at home the week after the 5-0 start.
Oh yeah, I really did block that, didn't I.... Shocked Embarassed pale Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:38 pm

That was fun. We were ranked in the AP top 25 at number 25 for one week! It was so fun to be "25 Portland" for one week.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 pm

up7587 wrote:17 wins in the book, with 6 games to go until the tournament.
At DD's prompting, I went back and read the entire thread. I was struck by this line from up7587. Following that SU win (and on the heels of the big win against SMC and near-win against GU), it was looking like we had a good chance to at least tie the program record for most wins in a season (21, set the previous year). However, we finished the year 3-5 and then immediately descended into the five-year morass of sub-mediocrity that culminated in Reveno's dismissal.

Of course that morass has now been extended to six years, and has outlived the Reveno regime.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless 2.0 Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am

Working in the alumni office during the 2011 men's basketball season was probably the most fun I'll ever have "working" a "full-time" "job"
Woodless 2.0
Woodless 2.0
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
up7587 wrote:17 wins in the book, with 6 games to go until the tournament.
At DD's prompting, I went back and read the entire thread. I was struck by this line from up7587. Following that SU win (and on the heels of the big win against SMC and near-win against GU), it was looking like we had a good chance to at least tie the program record for most wins in a season (21, set the previous year). However, we finished the year 3-5 and then immediately descended into the five-year morass of sub-mediocrity that culminated in Reveno's dismissal.

Of course that morass has now been extended to six years, and has outlived the Reveno regime.

Sheesh. Guess I jinxed the whole deal. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Coach Dollar doesn't even have to move, he's now an assistant at UW.

Meanwhile, Coach Jim Hayford has moved across the Cascades from his job as head coach at Eastern Washington to the same position at Seattle U.

Not sure if that move will help the Pilots scheduling with the Redhawks.  Hayford was once considered a long-shot for the UP job before TP was hired, but I believe it was determined pretty quickly that Hayford's boorish behavior around the athletic department made for a very poor working environment.  Or so it is rumored.. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Can't speak to his boorishness, but Hayford is one heck of a coach. Whitworth and EWU were both awful before he got there, and he turned both of them into winners. In fact, I got to see several of his Whitworth teams when I was an undergrad at Willamette.

I really hope he can turn Seattle U around so that it's an attractive candidate to rejoin the WCC. It's no secret that they want back in. My dream conference would either be a 10-team WCC with Seattle U and without BYU, or a 12-team WCC with Seattle U and Denver.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2