Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots v. Seattle U.

+5
pilotfan4ever
OldePilot
uclabobby
Geezaldinho
purple passion
9 posters

Go down

Pilots v. Seattle U. Empty Pilots v. Seattle U.

Post by purple passion Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Seattle's loss to OSU from the SU perspective:

In their second straight Pac-12 network contest, Seattle University women's soccer (4-4-0) suffered a tough 1-0 loss at No. 21 Oregon State (8-1-0). The Redhawks played their first 2OT contest of the season but, with just over one minute left in the match, the Beavers were able to put the ball in the back of the net for the win.

An even contest throughout much of the game started from the very beginning, as the teams were tied in shots in the first period, 6-6. They also each had only one corner kick, and were nearly tied in saves, as Oregon State led, 3-2, in first half saves.

In the second half, each team had near chances to score in the last few minutes of regulation but incredible performances by both keepers kept the draw intact and sent the game into overtime.

The first overtime followed suit, as neither team was able to score, and the game went into a second and final overtime.

Both sides shared possession of the ball throughout the second overtime, but the Beavers increasingly started to drive, and in the 109th minute, Megan Miller was finally able to break through and put the ball in the net for the Oregon State win. This was her third goal of the season, assisted by Brandi Dawson.

In the tale of two goalkeepers, Brianna Smallidge (Port Orchard, Wash.) played an incredible game, recording a career-high eight saves in nearly 109 minutes of play. Audrey Bernier-Larose also recorded eight saves in her complete game shutout.

Taylor Bolibol (Woodinville, Wash.) and Julia Moravec (Spokane, Wash.) led Seattle U with three shots apiece and Jenna Richardson led the Beavers with seven shots total. Overall, the Beavers outshot the Redhawks, 26-12.

Seattle U will play one more road contest before returning home to Championship Field. The Redhawks will face Portland on Friday, Sept. 21 at 7pm before returning home for their non-conference finale, hosting Utah Valley on Sunday, Sept. 23 at 12 p.m.

Although this story said the shots were 26-12, the SOG were closer at 9-8. The box score didn't show how many fouls, but OSU had two yellows, and SU had one. I know the Pilots will be ready, but I'm also hoping there will be no injuries against this physical team.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Pilots v. Seattle U. Empty Re: Pilots v. Seattle U.

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:25 am

It's not lost on Pilot fans or, i'm sure, on the players that Seattle holds a perfect D1 record on UP at 1-0.

They are 53 in the early RPI listing. Here is a look at their record this year.

Pilots v. Seattle U. Screen49

they are on paper very winable, but i'm not sure the extent of UP's health after playing USC, which usually is a bit thuggish.

they lost to both Oregon Schools, but the OSU match was a last minute bail-out win for the beavs,

Has anybody seen them play this year?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by uclabobby Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:40 am

I watch them play the two Oregon schools (on the Pac-12 network). I wasn't really analyzing deeply enough to remember anything worth posting here. But I do remember thinking the keeper looked pretty sharp, instinct-wise. I remember thinking she looked sharper than the UO and OSU keepers at times.

uclabobby
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 am

It looks like it will be a good match. I was a little amused with the "hoping there will be no injuries against this physical team" comment. They must think we're in the PAC-12 confused
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:26 am

OldePilot wrote:It looks like it will be a good match. I was a little amused with the "hoping there will be no injuries against this physical team" comment. They must think we're in the PAC-12 confused

Haha.

I took that comment as one from purple passion, not Seattle U.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 am

It was my comment...and I do think SU is physical, therefore the wish for no Pilot injuries.

If our passing is fast enough, SU shouldn't be able to get close enough to injure anyone.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:46 am

PP,

Either you missed the day on quotation marks or I missed the day on careful proofreading Very Happy

It's good to know that our finesse squad does not go rogue on the road.
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Pilots v. Seattle U. Empty Injuries

Post by pilotfan4ever Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Several starters out tonight with injuries.

pilotfan4ever
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Any clues or hints?
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 pm

pilotfan4ever wrote:Several starters out tonight with injuries.
To say that could be a bit more informative might be an understatement; could you please be more specific?

UP injuries? SU injuries? Who specifically?

How about Villa Drum Squad....will they be at full strength?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Several: "being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind"

My guess is much closer to the lower end of "several" than the higher end.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan4ever Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Johnson, Mccluskie, Parker, possibly Sippel

pilotfan4ever
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:20 am

Well, not only was that fun, but it was a relief. It was 3-0, but for the most part, the game was more lopsided than the score.

With so many Pilots injured I'm sure battle tested Seattle U. felt they could come away with a good result.

Very impressed by Kaila's ability to turn her defender around leading to her scores, and was probably most impressed by the toughness and steady play of Lorielle. She did not hold back, including a number of headers, despite her recent concussion. She is probably the most improved player over last years performance.

A young team was even younger this evening...lots of freshman got more playing time than they've collectively had all season.

(Note: I could not attend the game, but watched it online. Sitting in my Vancouver, USA living room, I can see the lights of Merlo Field, drink beer from the fridge, and watch Pilots soccer live on my tablet. Is this a great country or what!!! cheers )

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Too many beers)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 am

Medical Report:

Kendall Johnson out with concussion. Ellen Parker out with torn calf muscle. Lorielle McCluskie back after concussion. Devlyn Jeter looked unwell and left midway through first half and did not return. Emily Sippel played for first time after long injury break.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:33 am

pilotfan4ever wrote:Johnson, Mccluskie, Parker, possibly Sippel

.500 is pretty good in baseball. Very Happy

Good to see Sipple back in the rotation. You may see Kendall soon. I think it was precautionary.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:01 am

Possible that Kendall will play Sunday.

Pilots were off their game tonight but won any way. It wasn't pretty but it was a win.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:37 am

A little perspective to how we are doing. Lots of positives from this game.

we got Lorielle back (she wasn't forward for any headers in the attack, though.) and she is progressing by leaps and bounds.

we got Sipple back (well, we got Sipple), and she did well for her limited minutes.

Five freshmen played, four got substantial minutes. all played quite well and at least held their positions.

The front three got three goals on three assists. they are finding ways to score.

the short passing game was the best defense we had out there. Seattle only had two shots on frame.

Taylor did well switching to the left side for Kendall, and we were still able to be dangerous with our crosses from both sides of the field. there were times last year when we couldn't do that.

Oh yeah. despite lots of changes for injuries, we have now surrendered one goal total in the run of play over eight games and now have scored 18 goals to our opponents 4.

But there is another comparison. We have shut out five of the first eight teams we have faced. this happens to be the same ratio as the 2002 champions had in their first eight games. but this team has scored 4 more goals and given up three fewer than that team did in its first eight games. I understand we had some good forwards that year. at this point in the season, the 2002 team were 6-2-0

our best win in the 2002 year in the first eight games was a 1-0 win over Notre Dame. in our ninth game, we tied UNC 0-0.

in order to keep up these comparisons, we need to beat Denver. we beat them 2-0 in the seventh game in 2002.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:55 am

Not an absolutely brilliant win but the team went out, played their game plan, and the possession and pressure paid off. I liked it, especially without Johnson and Parker, two very important parts of the lineup.

The way the forwards play off each other is just beautiful. We haven't had that in a while and it's good to see. The offensive issues of last year seem to be behind us.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down