Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregon/Washington Games

+22
Psychotic
fozziewozzie
harryb
ktinpurple
Auto-Pilot
golaso
UPFAN
pms275
Trenchcoat Wally
eProf
fan from afar
decrink
Harry Redknapp
santa pilot
PurplePrideTrumpet
purple haze
soccerjoy
A_Fan
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
Indigo Kid
UPSoccerFanatic
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Oregon/Washington Games - Page 3 Empty Re: Oregon/Washington Games

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Soccer Puppet wrote:.... That hand ball in the box sure came in handy today and Sophie calmly put it away! What a great send-off for Sophie as she leaves to play with the Canadian National Team!

Is that what the PK was for, a hand ball in the box? Can you say more about it -- i.e., exactly what happened and how you know it was for a hand ball?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by golaso Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:09 pm

fan from afar wrote:So, Golaso, do you think the only people who can possibly know the game of soccer are those who have played at a high level? That would leave out a number of very successful coaches.

no, what am i saying is that unless you have played at a certain level then you have no right to critique kids who work hard day in and day out.
being a fan of a team gives you great priviledge, pride, and joy, but it gives you no rights...most importantly the right to publicly put down teenage girls who are better players than you ever were.

golaso
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:56 pm

"no, what am i saying is that unless you have played at a certain level then you have no right to critique kids who work hard day in and day out."

Think about what you just said - By extending your reasoning, a coach who has never played at a certain level therefore does not have the right to critique his own players. Really?!?

" . . most importantly the right to publicly put down teenage girls who are better players than you ever were."

What in heaven's name does being a better player than I was have anything to do with anything?!? Do you mean that if I had been a better player that I would then have the right to put a player down?? It has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone being a better player than someone else. No one should PUT DOWN a teenage player in public, and I see hardly any of that here, hardly any at all.

I should also point out that there is a HUGE difference between critiquing and putting someone down. You are definitely implying that ONLY someone who has played at a certain level has the knowledge to critique the game. That is simply not true, and I see nothing at all wrong with fans critiquing the team, whether or not that fan has played at a high level. You seem to have a bug up your shorts about adult fans who maybe didn't play much but have become knowledgeable about the game offering their opinions in a discussion forum.

fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:16 pm

an now back to the game.

I thought the pk was for cruz getting mugged in the box. I was sitting at that end of the field an didnt see a had ball, but i did see the 4 other hand balls against washington that the ref didnt call. can understand why he would call this one! Smile

now for some free flowing thoughts. Is m.o. hurt or ill. odd she didnt play at all. never have seen k. kelly play the holding mid before. jess an elli were rocks the whole game. terrific an potentially game saving save by hailee in the 2nd ot period just before the girls scored. did anyone else feel like the girls were playing a man down the entire match. just felt there wasnt much energy or spark. loved the frisbee goal. just before garrett put her in the game, saw them on the sidelines an garrett giving her 'words of advise'. good hard fought an ugly win, but i'll take it.

fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:51 pm

I was sitting at the end of the student section, and I didn't see a hand ball. To be perfectly honest, I thought it was a pretty generous PK call on our part. Cruz had a few players around her and possibly I saw some shirt tugging (Cruz did end up hitting the deck) but to me it seemed like the expected amount of jostling on a 50/50 type ball and that Cruz had lost her balance.

However, like I said, I believe I did see some jersey tugging, and if the ref saw a foul, I'm glad he called it and didn't swallow his whistle just because of the game situation.

It's also fair to say that the ref had made several questionable calls in the second OT - there was one awful, awful call here he awarded UW a goal kick instead of UP a corner kick, and also a very bizarre no-call on a blatant handball just outside the box. He shook his head which I took to mean he ruled it unintentional, but even if it were unintentional it gave such a clear advantage to the UW player that it seemed to me bordering on criminal not to call it.

In my opinion, this was a poorly officiated game.

Also, can I nominate Jessica Tsao for Game MVP? She is so, so, so very solid, and she was the one who ultimately created the equalizer. Terrific play by Micaela on the assist and a nice, calm finish from Amanda, but that wouldn't have happened without Tsao setting it up.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Also, ktinpurple, thanks for the pics!!! They are great!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:24 pm

From the fur-lined seats it sure looked like a very obvious hand ball. However the update from the UP SID said the penalty was for roughness on Cruz.

Gotta agree with you Stonehouse, it was a very unevenly officiated game.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Yeah, it's very possible there was a handball - she was surrounded by a few UW players so my view was screened a bit. Hopefully the video highlights will have a good angle on it.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychotic Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Please keep them coming ktinpurple

Psychotic
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:14 pm

The write-up on the official Pilot site said Cruz was fouled.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Oregon/Washington Games - Page 3 Empty Phantom PK

Post by decrink Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Yeah, it's very possible there was a handball - she was surrounded by a few UW players so my view was screened a bit. Hopefully the video highlights will have a good angle on it.

When I saw the PK given I thought it was a bad call. Looking at the video confirms it for me. Looks like feet got tangled and when #20 (not using real names) went down the ref gave a gift. I've played at high levels beyond college, reffed a few finals in my day and gone to three World Cups and saw the Hand of God goal from behind the ENG net (just confirming commentary qualifications for golaso!) so in my opinion we got lucky. The ref was fairly poor both ways. When refs are lousy there will usually be a bad call that will give one team the game rather than having them earn it. It appeared either team could have won in OT with GK saves making a big difference for the Pilots. We'd hit the post just seconds before the PK call so we had good pressure. A tie would have been fair but the win keeps us in that "top five" and looking better going into the conference. I've been on the wrong end of bad calls and its good to be on the right end.

I stand by my earlier posts in this thread. Nothing today made me change my overall opinion that they are waiting for their "team" to emerge. I do like the fight, I'm glad Jessica (back to using real names) decided to force the play that led to the goal, Capelle made perhaps her best play of the game when she shielded the ball that led to her pass to Frisbie for the goal, and it was good to see Kendall back on the pitch and starting to get her confidence and pace back.

The possession game is getting harder as the teams throughout the country continue to improve. I fear that the women's game is going the way of the men's game. Big, strong, fast and athletic throughout the lineup often beats slow buildup and beautiful soccer. Think Brazil...but with Spain as the caveat.

Oh, and switch the surdos on the 1 & 2 so Trenchcoat Wally doesn't go samba crazy!
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:50 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:The write-up on the official Pilot site said Cruz was fouled.

so does the UW site.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:38 pm

It is perhaps telling that at this point of the season if you were asked to name the starting XI if Garrett was fielding the strongest team there are, IMHO, only five names that are certain to be on the list: Jess, Cloee, Elli, Keelin, and Sophie.

Perhaps several more as likely, but it's unusual for so many positions to be up for debate still.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:21 am

decrink wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:Yeah, it's very possible there was a handball - she was surrounded by a few UW players so my view was screened a bit. Hopefully the video highlights will have a good angle on it.

When I saw the PK given I thought it was a bad call. Looking at the video confirms it for me. L.

Where did you see the video? I don't see it on the Pilots portal.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:19 am

Thanks for the photos ktinpurple. They help out-of-towners like me to feel a part of the action. Now residing in Houston, I can feel a bit of pride in seeing a fellow Texan, Amanda Frisbie, scoring the equalizer.

Go Purple with the upcoming conference games!
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:39 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Where did you see the video? I don't see it on the Pilots portal.
I saw the video on Channel 12 last night. I agree with decrink that it was a bad call. It was a worst incidental foot-tangling, but it looked to me from the video that there may have been no contact at all.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 am

My wife and I both wondered what the PK was called for as we saw no foul. We were in section A close to the action. I heard someone say, it was a "hand ball" call which would have made more sense. But we saw no obvious foul. This does happen and we take the win.
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:22 am

The whole sequence remains a mystery to me. I saw Cruz? Go down. Considering that in the first overtime a player was taken down and no call was made I figured this one wouldn't get called either, but this ref has made some goofy calls in the past.

What remains a mystery for me is what the yellow card on the play was for--dissent?

One thing that it might have been is that the yellow was on their #12, who was involved in several cheap shots early, never carded, but given the "no más" talking to a couple of times. I wonder if this may have had something to do with the call.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:20 am

Regarding the yellow card before the PK - it was from too much jostling outside the box. One UP player (Kendall, I think) was surrounded by 4-5 UW players, and things were getting pretty rough - pushing, shoving, elbows, etc. Several UW players were set up inside the box as well. The ref came over and told them to knock it off (#12 in particular was being very rough), he turned around to head back to the spot, but then it kept going so he came over and gave her a card. I'm sure it was just a frustration thing for #12, but since warning was given and she was definitely being free with the pushes, it was warranted.

I saw replay of it yesterday on the On Demand on the UP portal (it has since been taken down, unfortunately), but the camera shot was too far away to get a clear view of what happened. I definitely didn't see anything to alter my opinion that it was a pretty generous PK call.

As I said before, the ref had botched two calls against the Pilots, down deep on that end of the field, just minutes prior, so I wonder if that played into it a bit. I think he knew he blew the corner kick one but it was too late once he motioned for the goal kick, and when he shook off the obvious handball outside the box (still a complete head scratcher to me) you have to wonder if he wanted to prove that he had the guts to make a call that late in the game.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by bluffer Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:18 am

Although I continue to follow and support the Pilots I have refrained from posting since my past comments have upset so many others. I now want to apologize. Since my views seemed so opposite of many of the other postings I began to think my vision must be off. Several weeks ago I went to the optometrist and he advised my I am clinically blind, however, for $199.95 he fixed me up with a brand new pair of prescription glasses with rose colored lenses. I now have the vision of an eagle. Somehow my soccer IQ has also increased at least 100 percentage points. I tried my new glasses over the weekend and now see what everyone is talking about. Foxhoven is the fastest, strongest, most technically skilled and least selfish player on the pitch. I am profoundly sorry for posting otherwise and in the future I vow to refrain from posting unil I have read the posts from others with even better eyesight and soccer insight so they can explain what I saw and what my opinion should be.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:13 am

Too bad they were out of purple tinted ones. Do the new ones help with hindsight?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
One thing that it might have been is that the yellow was on their #12, who was involved in several cheap shots early, never carded, but given the "no más" talking to a couple of times. I wonder if this may have had something to do with the call.
Or the referee could have carded the first tactical foul of the second half, then carded the same player for the same kind of thing later, sending her off.

You know, like what happened the last time we played them, in the playoff game last year.

Sounds like the Huskies are good as ever at parking the bus...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by golaso Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:17 pm

bluffer i love you

golaso
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Taylor Jones, the player who went down during the Oregon Game, blogs about what the Ducks thought of the game and about her injury, which unfortunately ended her season

http://www.goducks.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=205008180

She's a Junior. Here's hoping she recovers fully and we see her again next year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Following a link to the Oregon soccer web site in one of the earlier posts, I noticed that one of the PR blurbs for this Friday's match between UO and OSU mentions that Jen Stoltenberg of Oregon is ranked #37 on a list of soccer upperclassmen. So I followed a link to that rating. Found 5 Pilots on that same ranking, and three of our frosh on the list of top freshmen. Here are the links:

Upperclassmen

Frosh

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next