Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington

+16
aleppiek
pms275
onetouchfutbol
harryb
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
Harry Redknapp
UPFAN
GUPhantom
FANatic
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
eProf
purple haze
fan from afar
UPWomenSoccerRookie
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Washington Empty Washington

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:07 pm

I hope to head up to Seattle to watch the game tomorrow. Anyone interested in sharing a ride? I can drive or be a passenger.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Washington Empty Re: Washington

Post by fan from afar Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:13 pm

Can you meet me in Minneapolis?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm catching the game via GameTracker -- 21 minutes in it's 1-0 on a Foxhoeven goal and a UW player has already received a yellow card.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:38 pm

purple haze wrote:I'm catching the game via GameTracker -- 21 minutes in it's 1-0 on a Foxhoeven goal and a UW player has already received a yellow card.

I'm catching the game on video feed via the goHuskies.com website. Still 1-0 around 35'. Keelin picked up a yellow card for riding a player to the ground at midfield.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Just turned it on in time for for Foxhoven's second...

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=wash

(Oh and BTW it's free!!)

Last edited by DaTruRochaldo on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:43 pm

28th minute: Sophie and Elli replaced by Halley and Kendall. Coach is showing great faith in the young subs. Kendall is a rising star already and Halley is due to score given her speed, power and alertness for the loose ball
33rd minute: yellow card on Keelin; 7 fouls already on Huskies; must be a rough game.
39 minutes: Another goal for Foxhoven! She's on fire.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for the video link, DTR. Free is a very good price.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:54 pm

The last five minutes of the first half featured two near-misses on through-balls to Kreminski. Halftime score is 2-0 Pilots.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Feel free to hop in the ChatBox for the 2nd half....

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Final score UP 2, UW 0. But a scary 2nd half as Huskies outshot Pilots and UP never got its possession passing game in gear after halftime. Hailee was a wall in the goal. Winning by a shutout on the road against a tough foe is a good result.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:08 pm

purple haze wrote:Final score UP 2, UW 0. But a scary 2nd half as Huskies outshot Pilots and UP never got its possession passing game in gear after halftime. Hailee was a wall in the goal. Winning by a shutout on the road against a tough foe is a good result.

2-0 on the road against a tough team is definitely a good result, but I wish we were controlling play better. The possession game does not seem to be there yet - too many long balls, although some of that towards the end was protecting the lead.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Agree with that, purple haze and fan from afar.

I didn't see the same team today as I saw Friday night. How good is Washington? That's the $10,000,000 question. They look to me like they're ready to play with the heavyweights of the Pac-10.

I'm really impressed with Perez and their tenacious defensive attacking by the whole team.

Glad we survived. Hailee had a lot to do with that. Great game for her. (Her first 90 minute outing since the 2007 season, I believe.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Yah. Not an impressive showing today. Pilots did not seem to have any cohesive play offensively or defensively. That may have been the result of the Huskies wanting it more. We were lucky to win that one. Huskies dominated the 2nd half with possession, threats and overall aggression. Perez was a tough mark. Our backline had their hands full with her today. Did we look tired playing a 2nd game in the weekend? Or we may have just walked in there overconfident? Hope they learned that we can't overlook anybody. There's a target on our back, especially when we play neighboring schools. UW was not intimidated and looked very well prepared.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPFAN Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:09 pm

To win 2 - nil, on the road against a quality opponent and NOT be at your best IS impressive in my mind.

UPFAN
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:55 pm

Just got back from Seattle and not sure I was watching the same game as some of you?

Pilots won 2-0 on the road in very hot conditions against a tough and physical opponent. UP was not playing with the usual flair and rhythym today but still won comfortably. I don't care what the shot count was: many of those shots were hit and hope efforts from outside the area which stood no chance of troubling Hailee, but inflated the shot count and her save total. Perez was particularly guilty of just blazing away. Unlike the Oregon game when there were several occasions where the Ducks were in a dangerous position, I don't recall any heart in the mouth moments today aside from one snafu by Hailee that UW (Perez) wasted..

In addition to the speculative long shots, UW hit long balls and chased. Defense handled it.

I've adopted a new practive this season of trying hard to respect that this is college soccer and avoiding negative comments about players. Pilots did not play as well today so comments are briefer.

Hailee got in 90 minutes of D1 experience. A couple of adventures in the second half but overall a good game.

Back four were solid. Not as polished as Friday, but effective nonetheless. Jessica was the pick of the four.

UP struggled to control the ball in midfield and to retain possession in the way that they ususally do. Kendra had a good game. Played hard and ran and ran and ran. Looks like she's getting back to full form and fitness. Kendall was only sub used in midfield spelling Elli in the middle of the game. Another useful cameo. She was one of five players who were shown a yellow card, which is a record in my memory of UP games. Michelle O and Keelin were also YC recipients. Tells you something about the refereee and the physical nature of the game. In most games the only one that would have seen a YC was Kendall, who was late into a tackle: no malice but a fairly hefty scything down of the UW player.

Halley saw some time in relief of Sophie upfront. No other subs used so most players put in a full 90 minutes in the sun against the most physical team we've seen so far. No surprise if they were a little off by the end of the game. Player of the game was Danielle. Two very good goals and as complete a game as I've seen fromn her: tackled back; held the ball up: created good chances for others. The fox in the box was on form today.

First goal was ball into the box which she took on her thigh and then blasted into the goal on the volley. Keeper had no chance. Second goal was diagonal run to the edge of the box past three or four defenders and a cracking left foot shot. Two excellent goals.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:10 pm

I saw the game pretty much the way 'arry did.

I will say that Veronica Perez played up top in the first half and was ineffective because she had no targets in the box when she did get the ball, so she just blasted from distance. That's a prayer shot against either UP keeper, and most shots went high and wide.
She played AM the second half and was much more dangerous to targets near the goal.
Credit UW, they actually did get a few chances close to net and Hailee did have to make some good stops, including taking out two UW players at once going up for a ball, and dropping on a couple of pretty hard shots.

Having said that, UP had a few chances in the second half as well, including a miracle series by their keeper where she stopped two UP shots, and her defender almost caused an Own goal.

I will concede there were large portions of the second half where we were content to just clear with no real mid play, It was not UP's pretty game by a long shot.

The good thing is that Garrett will probably have player's full attention this week if they don't want a repeat, and we have two games coming up that will be games to try different things on and hone our skills.

All in all, UW was our toughest foe to date.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:15 pm

I agree with Harry, but of course I was sitting right next to him. UW had no really threatening shots except for the one Perez should have put in following an indecision mixup by the defense. Virtually all of the other shots were long distance and none of them very threatening.

UW did keep the ball in our end for the majority of the second half, but they were pushing everyone forward. Our players looked very tired, whereas UW did not play Friday night. Although the box score says the air temperature was 64, the sun was very bright and it felt more like the temperature was in the 80s. I suspect that UW came out in the second half hoping to take advantage of our players' fatigue. To some extent they did, but not to the point of creating real scoring threats.

The game was very physical, about as physical as any Pilots game I've seen since they lost to USC at USC in 2007. Also, lots of pushing by UW that went uncalled. The ref seemed to have a high threshold for calling fouls but a relatively low threshold for issuing yellow cards.

As Garrett said in the post game comments, not our most impressive win. Still, a win. I will say that UW looked pretty decent. On the other hand, Oregon had better scoring threats.

Foxhoven's two goals were terrific. We also had several other good chances.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:31 pm

It's good to hear from the eyewitnesses for a more rounded sense of the game. "Watching" on GameTracker or even the UW online video doesn't give the details we crave. And the video announcer was not much help in setting the stage or noting the weather conditions. A win is a win, and 3 PAC-10 victims with no goals allowed is a fine start. I pity the two teams the Pilots face in Seattle this coming weekend.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:43 pm

purple haze wrote:It's good to hear from the eyewitnesses for a more rounded sense of the game. "Watching" on GameTracker or even the UW online video doesn't give the details we crave. And the video announcer was not much help in setting the stage or noting the weather conditions. A win is a win, and 3 PAC-10 victims with no goals allowed is a fine start. I pity the two teams the Pilots face in Seattle this coming weekend.

I wouldn't get too complacent. Colorado just knocked off Washington State today 2-1. They are now two and one.
Of course it was one of those second game at high altitude things. lots of teams have been bitten by that.

It looks like next weekend will be Columbia's first game of the year, so they will be behind the 8-ball a bit.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Yes, the Ivy League teams don't play any games before September 4.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 pm

I was just looking at Danielle's production for the weekend.

Four scores, two game winners. All on 5 shots.

The only thing is, she didn't live up to the "fox in the box" moniker today. The first was from left side about 22 yards out, the second was from just outside the box.

The way I figure it, it should still be good for SOME kind of Player of the week award.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Geezaldinho

Technically correct about the "in the box" correction! She was triffic this weekend - in and out of the box.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Too bad it was an away game and we won't get to see replays. Those were both great top shelf blasts away from the keeper.

The first she had all kinds of time (made it, really, because it was on the volley from a leg trap).

The second was though traffic.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:42 pm

Is there still a player-of-the-week award with Soccer Buzz not active?
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:44 pm

I think Buzz is dead.

It'll have to be an NSCAA, Soccer America, or WCC award. Maybe all three.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next