Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First weekend

5 posters

Go down

First weekend Empty First weekend

Post by SoreKnees Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:34 pm

I haven't posted much on the men's side, but I got to attend both games in the Invitational this weekend as well as the OSU "exhibition" and wanted to see if others are having the same reaction to this year's side that I am.

I've been pretty impressed by what I've seen from the men this year. They have played with more control---both of the ball and of themselves---than any men's team I've seen in a few years. They don't seem to have a dominant striker up front, although both Evans (against OSU) and Luke (on the volley today) have created some exceptional goals from situations that didn't look terribly promising.

It's too early to tell what the long season will bring, but this year's group seems to have a balance and a team approach that has sometimes been lacking. Anyone else have a reaction?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

First weekend Empty Re: First weekend

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:50 pm

I have pretty much the same reaction you have. this is a better team than we have had in a while. the defense is pretty good and the offense can make things happen.

There have been a couple of bright additions in transfer Barbaree and frosh Evans, which compensates for the loss of last year's players.

this team plays well with each other. they are looking to make the good passes, even in traffic.

They beat a pretty good Purple Aces team today, they will do well and are fun to watch.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Agreed on all points. I look forward to seeing more of their games. I get excited thinking about what Evans can accomplish here. I hope he stays for the long haul. Barbaree did look composed handling the ball in traffic. Luke's second goal was a dandy. I am a little unsure of why Nielson isn't getting the starts.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:10 am

I also agree with the above comments. The team plays very well together and is fun to watch. Evans had a great weekend, and was very effective at both ends of the field. He showed some wonderful ball control along the end line to set up Luke's first goal on Sunday.

Luke's second goal, a volley off of a Nielson feed, was fabulous.

In the Evansville game, Austin had a dandy diving save with about 3 minutes left to preserve a hard-fought 2-1 win.

Did anyone see the UW-NIU game on Sunday. I saw that last 20 minutes or so. UW won 1-0 on a throw-in goal. They had a throw-in near the left corner which the UW player threw directly into the goal. It would not have counted (throw-in's being indirect), except that the NIU keeper, attempting to keep it out of the net, managed to nick the ball with his finger.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

First weekend Empty UP v Evansville Highlight Video

Post by Basepin Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tv35M0w9o8

Basepin
Recruit