Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Wisconsin in Seattle...

+13
fan from afar
SoreKnees
pilotpurple
Indigo Kid
eProf
fwill
DaTruRochin
BigBro
UPSoccerFanatic
Harry Redknapp
Geezaldinho
purple haze
onetouchfutbol
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots vs. Wisconsin in Seattle... - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Wisconsin in Seattle...

Post by A_Fan Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 pm

The coach was was ranting and raving on the sideline. She must have screamed one of those forbidden words at the on field official. He charged over to the bench and carded her.

We were sitting across the aisle the dozen or so Wisconsin fans. They were very vocal in encouraging their team which was good, but by the second half they thought the Pilots were diving left and right and their girls were being fouled constantly. After the game though as we were leaving our seats one of them leaned over and said: "You guys have a great team".
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Wisconsin in Seattle... - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Wisconsin in Seattle...

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:37 pm

The Pilots appeared to have some sloppy plays in the first half. However, with our video on demand access to games, Wisconsin no doubt had done a good scouting job and was stepping in and intercepting some passes they might not have if they didn't have a good idea how the Pilots play. That, perhaps, is a negative about video on demand. On the other hand, our players will have to learn how to be less predictable. Notwithstanding some sloppy play, however, I did not think Wisconsin ever seriously threatened the Pilots' goal in either half.

Paula Wilkins did not like the ref not giving Cloee a yellow card on a play in the second half and yelled something very loud at the ref, which is why she got the yellow. It looked like she got it on purpose, but it did not help her team. I think what she was wanting was a persistent fouling call.

Capelle did add an element of disrupting the defense, although sometimes I think she holds the ball too long. Her goal was on a corner kick, as I recall, that went deep to Michelle Olivier, who headed it high back in front of the goal. There was a scrum, and Capelle must have bumped it into the goal. The second goal was a great cross from Elli, with Taylor running on to it with a solid header the keeper had no chance on. Later, on a corner, I think it was Cloee had a great header off the cross bar; and Wisconsin almost had an own goal on a header that likewise went off the cross bar.

Wisconsin played primarily a defend and counterattack game. The second half, the Pilots seemed to be playing more up on the Wisconsin defenders, giving them less chance to pass the ball to the midfield, with th result that the Pilots controlled most of the play (9-1 in second half shots for the Pilots, vs 6-4 in the first half).

I agree with the comments about Ellen Parker. She passed very well and seems to have very good field vision. This is what I had been hoping would be the case, and it was. I hope to see more of her on Sunday.

Sarah Bridges also had a good game at left mid. She and Elli played well together, with Elli going forward a whole lot and Sarah covering behind her. Jess once again had a great game, and she and Elli are terrorizing the opposing teams.

Overall, I'd say a decent game, but they still are not clicking on all cylinders offensively. Defensively, however, I'm still very happy. (Although about mid-first half, Erin did have a ball that she bobbled.)

On another note, Florida State lost to Auburn and Penn State lost to Yale. And, Santa Clara lost to Notre Dame @ Notre Dame, 1-0, in a game that had very close stats.

UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:43 pm

UPSF

Thanks for your perspective.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:05 am

That was an amazing header that went off the crossbar - hit with POWER. I also thought it was Cloee, but it could have been Keelin. I wassitting near Garrett during the UW - SU game and almost leaned over to ask him, but I didn't.

It's fun to see Cloee in person. You really don't get the full range of her play on TV.

Harry and Fanatic - I think you are right on the money about Parker and what she could mean to the team this year and for the next three. It was only one game, though.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:11 am

I know what you mean FFA. On TV the camera tends to hone in too close on the ball and so you don't get the full field perspective and can't see the movement and the context for the action.

Cloee and Michelle O are a great pair. Pilots d is yet to be seriously challenged but they've only conceded one goal, and that from a deflection. Should be strong at the back if they all stay healthy because jess and Elli are formidable too.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks to Pilot Nation for the Wisconsin game commentary. I'm in a Seattle hotel that has ESPNU -- first time I've seen that channel, and it's the first time I've seen a "crawl" of women's college soccer scores, but UP-Wisconsin wasn't among the results it showed last night.

The results from around the country noted by others hsow how tough it is to win them all. So far, so good. I'm looking forward to see what Syracuse can bring to the pitch.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Wisconsin in Seattle... - Page 2 Empty header

Post by The 12th man Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:26 am

The really hard header off the crossbar was a cross from Elli and Halley got up and got her head on it.

The 12th man
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:37 am

Box score on Pilots website credits it to Cloee:

[74:16] Shot by POR COLOHAN, Cloee HIT POST.

And has there been a game where Dani F has played for 63 minutes and nottaken a shot on goal?
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:17 pm

I guess I missed something during the Wisconsin game. I thought that Dani got a yellow card, but when I look at the box score, the only Pilots' yellow was to Elli. Others at the game, did any of you think Dani got a yellow?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:23 pm

I thought Elli had a good game. Micaela has that extra something; she always makes good things happen. I like the way Erin distributes the ball to teammates rather than always kicking it away after she picks it up.

I stayed for the 2nd game on Friday. I was very impressed with Washington. They looked very much like the Pilots with their defensive pressure and their hustle. You could have switched the two teams in white (Pilots in the 1st game, Huskies in the 2nd game) with little difference. And I say this after watching the Pilots play well in their game.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by The 12th man Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:19 pm

I was at the game, definitely was Halley on the header. Stats are sometimes mistaken.

The 12th man
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:06 am

fan from afar wrote:A few observations from my first live game of the season

1- Seeing Michaela in person reinforces my belief that she is going to be vital to the team this year if we are going all the way. Things just came alive when she entered the game in the first half. Danielle and Hallie seem to be playing well, but we really need Michaela's speed up front.

2- Ellen Parker was VERY solid at midfield - she came in for Sophie in the second half. After seeing her play, I want to change my vote as to who will replace Sophie for the games she will miss.

3- Garrett's halftime chat, or somerthing, got the Pilots a little more serious for the 2nd half. It could easily have been 3 or 4 - 0 after half with all the near misses.

4- I am still concerned about not finishing as we should, but not as much as before. Wisconsin is a tough team to score on.

I'm still not very concerned about our finishing abilities. We outshot the Badgers something like 14-4, and they had very few dangerous opportunities in the second half...if any. The shot off of the crossbar could have easily gone in. I think that shots on goal continues to be the stat to pay attention to. I doubt we lost a game when we won that statistical category last year...

Though UW was likely impressive in the second game, I doubt they have the talent level to compete with us. Well see soon...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2