Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle...

+2
Geezaldinho
onetouchfutbol
6 posters

Go down

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... Empty Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle...

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:17 am

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2011723886_friendlies29.html

The Boca Juniors game is very soon. Hopefully the Sounders can play competitively. Barcelona put on a ridiculous clinic in the second half of last years' high profile game. Chelsea was the other big opponent last season.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... Empty Re: Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle...

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 am

Boca isn't what it was last year. Right now, they are so desperate they have a Brazilian playing defense.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... Empty Re: Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle...

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon May 10, 2010 8:38 pm

I just got an interesting e-mail from PGE Park.

Guess who else is playing Boca? Yahoo!

May 29, at 7 pm.

There is a spot at the front of section 105 for another Pilot fan if he can score a ticket...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... Empty This Hurts

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 10, 2010 9:53 pm

I was a Boca fan at age 5 (even though I lived in a Ritzy neighborhood near River Plate). By age 7 I had every trading card of every Boca player of the mid 50"s I have the shirts, the bandanas, I know the songs and cheers - I even made a trip to La Bombonera a couple years ago to soak in the magic.
Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... Boca_s10

I can even tell you why the Coke signs are Black.

Now I find Los Xeneizes will be in PGE while I'm back East... sigh....

You guys will get to see two of the legends of Argentine soccer and a cast of worthy supporters. Juan Román Riquelme is Still the best pure playmaker since Maradona (maybe part of the reason for their feud) and Martín Palermo Just passed the 222 goal mark (a Boca record) and, at 36, just might still make the upcoming World Cup team.

The rest aren't shabby either, even if most are in the twilights of their careers. Gaitán, Bataglia, and Monsón were great players in their days (all were in World Cups) and can still dominate their opponents.

You might even See Chilean goofball Gary Medel score a goal or two.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 am

Purplegeezer wrote:I was a Boca fan at age 5 (even though I lived in a Ritzy neighborhood near River Plate). By age 7 I had every trading card of every Boca player of the mid 50"s I have the shirts, the bandanas, I know the songs and cheers - I even made a trip to La Bombonera a couple years ago to soak in the magic.
Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... Boca_s10

I can even tell you why the Coke signs are Black.

Now I find Los Xeneizes will be in PGE while I'm back East... sigh....

You guys will get to see two of the legends of Argentine soccer and a cast of worthy supporters. Juan Román Riquelme is Still the best pure playmaker since Maradona (maybe part of the reason for their feud) and Martín Palermo Just passed the 222 goal mark (a Boca record) and, at 36, just might still make the upcoming World Cup team.

The rest aren't shabby either, even if most are in the twilights of their careers. Gaitán, Bataglia, and Monsón were great players in their days (all were in World Cups) and can still dominate their opponents.

You might even See Chilean goofball Gary Medel score a goal or two.

"You guys will get to see two of the legends of Argentine soccer and a cast of worthy supporters. Juan Román Riquelme is Still the best pure playmaker since Maradona "

You might get a pretty good arguement from Barca fans about Xazi Hernandez as "The best" playmaker. Messi is great..But Xazi has a good part in helping him be great!

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 am

In the context of great Argentine players, Xavi has never been able to break into La Seleción for some reason. Razz

I'm pretty sure he isn't on anybody's list of great Argentine playmakers.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Good point...But if he was Argentinian....

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue May 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Seriously, do yourselves a favor and look up some YouTube videos of Palermo. It would be an honor to see him score against the Timbers. Razz
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue May 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Palermo's not coming. He made the preliminary World Cup roster.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 am

I've seen Palmero play I'd say at least 50 games or so (on TV) He's a great player no doubt. I wasn't attempting to discredit him by saying I think Xavi might be a better play maker.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Wed May 12, 2010 11:20 am

List of the worlds best (not official and not just Argentinian) playmakers.
Thought it was interesting.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213591

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Yeouch

Boca goes 0 for the USA and gets beat by the Timbers...

Even playing all scrubs I wouldn't have expected that.

I just checked some Argentine blogs and they are being pretty harsh. They don't accept that a second division team could beat them. Of course, the River fans are the harshest. The fact that they lost in a venue where teams play with a "rugby" ball seems hysterical to them.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun May 30, 2010 1:20 am

To be fair the winner was an absolutely gorgeous free kick around the wall, over the keeper and inside the far post. Boca loved getting out on the counterattack and had a lot of guys who were skilled with the ball. Really entertaining to watch both teams.

We got a crowd of 14,000+ and I would say there were lots of Argentina and Boca shirts in the stands. Afterward I talked to a lady who said, "Oh I love Argentina...but I'm actually River Plate, so it's okay."
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun May 30, 2010 3:23 am

OK?

River is looking at relegation if they have another season as bad as they had this year...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun May 30, 2010 8:09 am

http://vodpod.com/watch/3733843-portland-timbers-3-boca-juniors-2

They still think PSU plays Rugby at PGE
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun May 30, 2010 11:49 am

Purplegeezer wrote:They don't accept that a second division team could beat them.

Especially one from the USA who plays on plastic and rubber. I can understand their frustration. The gap between first and second divisions here isn't that large however. Is the difference between the top two leagues in Argentina more pronounced than it is here?

All in all, a great atmosphere and one of the most exciting games I can recall seeing in person. Our last two goals were the first this year not involving one Ryan Pore (Superstar). Maybe Lopez just earned himself some more PT (and especially the opportunity to take direct kicks).
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun May 30, 2010 12:58 pm

In Argentina, there's a pretty big gap between the top ten first division teams and the bottom 10. In fact, most years there's a big dropoff after about 5-6 teams. That's what makes River looking at relegation so stunning.

The second division teams aren't even on the map. Maybe like the Timbers u23's or something. Often the kids are younger. I did see a River youth team with Bounonotte beat a second division team a few years ago. He was like 15.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 am

What a great day for Portland soccer. The Rain won and the Timbers beat Boca!!! Boca!!!

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... 4651574523_75d54b0244_b

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... 4651633861_7004329f0c_b

Boca Juniors and Celtic coming to Seattle... 4652361580_af4a47e51d_b

I am still floating amongst the clouds. I will tell this story decades from now. king

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41639453@N00/sets/72157624164530694/
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon May 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Sounders won 3-0. What was the final score of the Timbers vs. Boca game?

---------------------------------

Putting this all in perspective, these are pre-season tours for the big teams that come to the US...like Boca, Manchechester U., etc. They play the scrubs, and the objective is not to get hurt. All the same, I was at the game in Seattle and Boca really got worked pretty badly. It wasn't very close.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon May 31, 2010 5:55 pm

Portland 3-2 Boca. Make no mistake, Boca wanted a result Saturday and played like it. It was a good win against a quality side and the Timbers players want to use it to break out of the poor run they have been in.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down