Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pooh Jeter - Portland Trailblazers Summer League

+6
DaTruRochin
MesaPilot1
gaelhoopfreak
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
MJGoGaels
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pooh Jeter - Portland Trailblazers Summer League - Page 2 Empty Re: Pooh Jeter - Portland Trailblazers Summer League

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 pm

OK... looking over the play-by-play, Pooh had several clutch shots in the final minutes, including an and-one that put the Blazers up by three. He also took a three pointer with under ten seconds left to tie it, but missed. Darn. Still... looks like he was their go-to guy at the end of the game, not Bayless. Interesting.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Pooh Jeter - Portland Trailblazers Summer League - Page 2 Empty Re: Pooh Jeter - Portland Trailblazers Summer League

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:59 am

I just looked at the box

Pooh 6 assists, 1 TO, 15 pts on 11 shots in 22 minutes

Bayless 2 assists, 6 TO, 13 pts in 30 minutes.

Hmmm..

Who are the grooming for the point?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:59 am

Would that be the draft pick by the brilliant management team, or the undrafted guy who's been bouncing around the globe? I fear that we'll learn once again that life is not fair. Pull Hair

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Guess the PG Line from the Zers game!!! one is a Lottery Pick, the other one has never cracked a league roster:

20 min 15 pts 5-10 FG 5 Ast. 2 TO

36 min 19 pts 8-17 FG 3 Ast 5 Reb 6 TO

Give up?? I'll give you a hint: Hitting my head agai
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Pooh is starting tonight!!! From today's O:

Jeter earns first start
Pooh Jeter, the University of Portland graduate who is trying to land a roster spot with the Blazers, will start for the first time this week tonight against the Spurs.

Coach Joe Prunty said he's inserting Jeter into the start shooting guard position to provide the Blazers just that -- shooting. Through the first three summer league games, shooting has been a glaring problem for Blazers' shooting guards.

In the opener against the Toronto Raptors, Thomas Gardner started and missed all eight of his field goals, including all six of his three-point attempts. In the Blazers' second game against the Houston Rockets, David Moss replaced Gardner in the starting lineup and made just 1 of 9 field goals.

Moss improved last night against the Nuggets -- draining 5 of 9 shots to finish with 10 points -- but Jeter has proven more capable and more reliable through three games.

Jeter is averaging 13.3 points per game and is shooting 52 percent from the field (14 for 27). He's also registered 11 assists and three steals. Prunty has become increasingly more comfortable with Jeter as the week has progressed and Jeter's playing time has increased each game, from 15 to 21 to 31 minutes.

Prunty was clear that Bayless would continue to play point the majority of the time tonight, even though Jeter is a natural point guard. But Prunty needed a spark at shooting guard, so Jeter gets the nod.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/summer_league_shootaround_bayl.html

Keep it up Pooh!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Follow-up little tidbit from BlazersEdge following yesterday's game:

PPS Both Coach Prunty and Bayless singled out diminutive point guard Pooh Jeter (15 points on 5 of 10 shooting) for praise. However neither wanted to talk about anything positive.

Which is interesting, since both Prunty and Bayless basically trashed the rest of the team's performance. Pooh is turning some heads, no doubt about it.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Wow, Pooh steps it up again with the starting slot!

Leads the team in scoring with 19 pts on 8-13 FG and also chipped in 4 ast 3 reb and only 1 TO...

And Bayless with his standard 7 TOs (although from what I've read, a ton of those wouldn't have happened if he were playing with the Blazer regulars...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:33 pm

from blazers.com

Portland had four players achieve double figures. Pooh Jeter led all scorers with 19 points.

“What I really like about him is that he brings and energy to the game,” said Portland General Manager Kevin Pritchard. “He’s up, he’s talking, and he makes it fun for everybody else. We need some of that.”

I feel bad for Patty Mills that he is was injured before playing but its been a great opportunity for Pooh.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:06 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:
And Bayless with his standard 7 TOs (although from what I've read, a ton of those wouldn't have happened if he were playing with the Blazer regulars...)

They must have been putting in the regulars especially for Pooh's time on the court.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Welp, pluses and minuses from the box score I guess...

25 mins with 4 pts on 1-7 FG but he did dish out 8 ast and 3 TO

It looks like he played the point for the game as Bayless sat out. Wish I could give more insight, but ESPN isn't covering anything without Griffin, Evans or Flynn involved and the Blazersedge bloggers left before tonights game.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:24 am

A little blurb from the Oregonian:

The Blazers' general manager also said he was leaning toward extending a training camp invitation to point guard Pooh Jeter, who has been a pleasant summer league surprise. "We only want to (invite) him if he has a chance to make the team because he's such a good kid and we want to be fair to him," Pritchard said. "But he's earned (an invitation)."

Sounds like Pooh made quite the impression, I'm sure even if he doesn't make the Blazers roster he would come across with a glowing review from the Blazers brass and coaching staff. I love that the recognize both his stellar play in addition to his character, which isn't a surprise to anyone in Pilot Nation. Even if he isn't donning the red and black, hopefully this can do something to get him on an NBA roster for next season, the kid has earned it!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2