Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pooh at Summer League?

+4
wrv
MJGoGaels
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pooh at Summer League? Empty Pooh at Summer League?

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Hey... anyone know if Pooh has been named to a roster for the summer leagues? He played with Sacramento last year and made it all the way to their training camp... I've read that Toronto, Denver and Miami might be interested, but haven't seen anything for sure. I did find this:

http://draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=6&mod=comment&a=2041

Basically, it says that Pooh will definitely be playing in the summer leagues and that if he doesn't stick with a team he has lots of European teams offering him a spot.

I will keep looking for news, but I would love to know if anyone hears what roster he's on.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Pooh at Summer League? Empty Re: Pooh at Summer League?

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:27 am

YES!!! Pooh is back with the Kings!

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/255816.html

This is GREAT news for Pooh... even if he doesn't end up sticking with the Kings, at least he will have the opportunity to showcase his skills for the rest of the league.

All the games are broadcast live on the web at this site:

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/

Two of the games are also on NBATV, in case you get that... 7/10 vs. Washington and 7/13 vs. NY.

Sacramento's first game is on Saturday against Team China.

Gooooooooo Pooh!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:49 am

One more update... this was copied and pasted from an article from the Sacramento Bee:

"As for potential lower-level additions, the Kings released their Las Vegas summer-league roster Tuesday. The group is headlined by third-year swingman Francisco GarcĂ­a, second-year guard Quincy Douby and 2007 first-round draft pick Spencer Hawes, a center from the University of Washington.

Among the four former Kings who became free agents July 1, big man Justin Williams is the only one on the summer-league roster. Noticeably absent is third-year guard Ronnie Price, who -- like Williams -- became a free agent but has been given a qualifying offer from the Kings that in no way guarantees a return. The Kings can rescind the offer, but it gives them the right of first refusal should another team make an offer.

Meanwhile, point guard Pooh Jeter returns for his second summer stint with the Kings and could have a chance to make the roster. Jeter, a 5-foot-11 University of Portland product who was cut during the Kings' training camp last year, played well enough in the NBA Development League last season to start in the All-Star Game. Artest's brother, Daniel, who has played in community college and overseas, is also on the Kings' summer roster."

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/256061.html

Pooh's fate probably lies in the hand of what happens to Ronnie Price. If another team makes an offer on Price and the Kings don't match it or if the Kings pull their offer to Price (interesting that he's not on the summer league roster), then things probably look good for our boy Eugene. If not... it might be tough because that would be too many roster spots for PGs.

Either way... good luck Pooh!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:20 am

Update on Pooh's stats:

After three games, he is averaging 11.7 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists in 24.7 minutes. He's also averaging 2.3 steals while shooting 44% from the floor and a perfect 13-13 from the line.

He had his best game yesterday against New York, scoring 22 points (8-15 from the field) while grabbing 6 boards and dishing out 5 assists. Also played 33 minutes.

Here's a link to the stats:

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/players/index.jsp?player=eugene_jeter

Way to go Pooh!!! Keep it up!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:36 am

Final update for Pooh...

He scored 17 points and had 4 assists and 4 rebounds in Sacramento's final game.

Overall, he averaged 12 points, 26.6 minutes, 3.8 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 1.4 steals. He also shot 46% from the field and 85% from the line.

His minutes really went up over his last three games... he played 33, 27, and 32.

I think he more than proved himself as a player, and it's a great sign that he was playing so many minutes - clearly the coaches and player personnel guys wanted to take a long look at him. Let's hope he gets invited back to their camp and (cross your fingers) makes the roster!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:44 pm

Hmm... this is starting to look like I'm stalking Pooh. But I want to keep everyone updated, so here goes:

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/273773.html

Talks about how Mike Bibby has been discussed in trade rumors and about how Ronnie Price is a restricted free agent. Pooh is mentioned as a legit candidate for a roster spot, though Mustafa Shakur (formerly of Arizona) is also mentioned. Looks like those two will be in a fight.

Choice quote:

Summer league point guards Pooh Jeter (second year, University of Portland) and Mustafa Shakur (undrafted rookie, University of Arizona) could also push for a spot. Jeter, who went undrafted last season and was in the NBA Developmental League All-Star Game, has the advantage of familiarity after he made the Kings' training camp last season before being cut.

Best case scenerio for Pooh would be if Price gets an offer from another team that Sacramento is unwilling to match. That would clear a spot for sure. There still may be a spot open at third-string even if Price does resign... Quincy Douby, an undersized two, hasn't looked good in their attempts to shift him over to a PG.

So who knows?

Other bits of news... now that the summer league is done, Pooh is playing for San Antonio at the Rocky Mountain Review. He dropped 16 points in 21 minutes last night in a win over Utah with 3 rebounds, 3 steals, and a perfect 8-8 from the line.

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/rmr07Game07.pdf

There are two games left... later tonight and on Thursday. One interesting note - Frederic Adjiwanou of St. Mary's is on his team there.

Goooooo Pooh!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:39 pm

I was down in vegas over the weekend and saw pooh play a little bit, he held his own against Aaron Brooks (the NBA rookie of the month) and looked pretty solid against a thoroughly over matched clippers team. We chatted for a bit, reminisced about Christie hall and exchanged recipes for cookies (well maybe not the last part). Anyway it was great to see him in action, and he definitely looked like he belonged out on the court.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 am

You lucky dog, DaTruRochin! Glad to hear Pooh is doing well and looking good.

One other thing I forgot to mention... he is slated to go to China with a team of NBDL All-Stars at the end of this month. What a busy summer for him!

Oh, and if you want my world-famous snicker doodle recipe, just drop me a line.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:36 am

OK, so Pooh's summer league stuff is finally done. Check out this sweet pic I found of him playing at the Rocky Mountain Revue:

Pooh at Summer League? Fullj.getty-75445033mm008_mavs_spurs

As I posed earlier, Pooh dropped 16 in his first game with the Spurs... here's a little review of that game from DraftExpress:

"Pooh Jeter
16 Points, 3 Rebounds, 3 Steals, 2 Turnovers, 1 Foul, 4-8 FG, 8-8 FT

-Jeter was the primary reason that San Antonio won this game, coming up huge in the fourth quarter.
-Jeter shot the ball exceptionally well, and got to the line at will.
-Jeter has very solid court vision, and threw two great one handed push passes to cutting teammates for assists.
-Jeter isn’t the most selfish player, but he could still stand to give the ball up more often."

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2185

Pooh had six points, three assists and three steals in 16 minutes a loss to Philadelphia and 12 points, three assists and a block (!) in 18 minutes in a loss to Dallas.

You can see box scores here:

http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/2007_Rocky_Mountain_Revue.html

From what it looks like, both at the Summer League at at the Revue, Pooh has been pretty efficient in his scoring as well as showing a good ability to get to the line.

I think he's done more than enough to prove himself worthy of a camp invite... and hopefully make it all the way to a roster spot!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:28 am

Looks like the Kings withdrew their contract offer to restricted free agent Ronnie Price, which I'm assuming means that he will not be back with the team next year. That's good news for Pooh, for sure!

http://sacramentokingsblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/this-just-in_20.html

This link mentions Pooh as a possible replacement for Price:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/story/2007/7/20/182157/047

It also mentions that Sacremento has signed Mustafa Shakur to a non-guaranteed contract, which happened a while back. So Pooh's got his work cut out for him, competing against Shakur.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MJGoGaels Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Great thread, you guys definitely have the book on Pooh. Thanks for the mention on Frederic A. as i lost track of him...
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:40 am

Whoa... is that a new logo, MJ? I've never seen that before.

Also, do you know if Paul Marigney is playing anywhere? I always thought he had the talent to make it to the next level somewhere. That guy broke my heart on more than one occasion. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MJGoGaels Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:55 pm

Yes, just released last Saturday http://smcgaels.cstv.com/genrel/072107aad.html
There's new lettering font that was a custom script based on ancient Gaelic writings. Were going more Navy Blue with acents of red and silver. The mascot is phase II and expected around January... or maybe as late as June. Would like an honest assessment. The design firm Osaki did SDSU and Sac St. and lots of arena football teams, etc.

P-40 was playing in France. I have lost touch on his current whereabouts professionally but is playing in the SF Pro-Am league at Kezar for the summer. EJ re-signed in Australia with the NBL, and Kickert is playing for Liverno in the Italian A league.

Even Sholberg might get a look in Europe because of his height, but he's the shortest 7-1 player ever!
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Pooh at Summer League? Empty Pooh v. Slovenia

Post by wrv Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:08 am

Pooh scored 15 points against Slovenia for an NBDL all star team playing in the Stankovic(?) Cup being played in China. A long way away for that young man. Still, another good showing, despite the fact that the NBDLers lost to Slovenia . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:53 pm

MJ-

The mascot is phase II and expected around January... or maybe as late as June.

Does that mean the big robot guy is gone?

Aw- Gee-- I hough he was just getting his groove on this year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:11 am

Oh man... the inflatable SMC mascot. It will be sad to see it go. Smile

I saw that Pooh scored another 15 points in a win over New Zealand at the Stankovic Cup in China. I found this but not a box score:

http://sports.aol.com/moresports/story/_a/d-leaguers-rally-past-new-zealand-at/n20070729184209990020

By all accounts, Pooh is clearly proving himself as a consistent performer no matter what he's done or where he's played this summer.

Let's hope the Kings notice and give him that roster spot over Mustafa!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CostcoKirkwood34 Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:49 pm

This is probably a bit late, but...I saw Pooh firsthand in Vegas and he was always one of the more impressive players on the court. Very in control, able to score AND set up his teammates. There was no doubt he had more of an impact on the game than Shakur. He's a sparkplug, which is EXACTLY what teams need coming off the bench.

I also saw him in one of those Stankovic Cup games the other night (against Slovenia) and the commentator kept mentioning Pooh and how he was one of the crowd "favorites." He always looked a step ahead of the other players.

I agree with Stonehouse 100%...let's hope the Kings or Spurs (he played on their team at the Rocky Mountain Review...again, the best player on the team) take notice and give him a spot! If Beno Udrih can make it, so can Pooh!
CostcoKirkwood34
CostcoKirkwood34
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:30 am

Pooh scored 17 in a win over New Zealand. I'm not sure how many he scored against Angola (a win) and China (a loss), but probably not in double digits, since his name didn't pop up in the short recaps.

Finding box scores for this stupid thing is near impossible, but I did find this from a Chinese website about Pooh and the win over Angola:

"Eugene "Pooh" Jeter's excellent play-making secured the victory for the Ambassadors, which won two of its three previous games at the six-team tournament."

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90779/6229821.html

So he may be racking up a bunch of assits and we just don't know.

Anyway, you can see a fwe pics of Pooh in this gallery... pretty sweet!

http://www.nba.com/gallery/stankovic_cup_1.html
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:15 am

Dude, Kirksie, Shakur is dead, obviously Pooh will have more of an impact. Drop the conspiracy theory, Tupac is dead, man!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:21 am

Um... hello Buck Williams! That is gorgeous, Rochin. Gorgeous!

By the way... I ran into Hussle Russell Whittaker last weekend. It was pretty fabulous.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:23 pm

Does he still have the Oregon 3A state tourney record for most three pointers during the tournament (15). That was awesome. Of course, Nick "Costco" Kirkwood held the state tourney record for field goal percentage, bu that was broken the next year. Bizzarre.

I wonder how they calculate those records now with the change in both format and the classification change.

I just started cracking up because Costco actually worked at Costco shortly after the nickname became legend! lol!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:32 pm

I know!!! He signed my parents up for the Gold Club or something like that... it was amazing.

Was your knickname "Killer"? I think it was. And of course "Mad Bomber", "Goose", "Steino the Rhino", "Marion" Barry... the list just goes on and on.

That poster was probably Houle4Three and my's greatest achievement.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:25 am

Don't forget "Skipper"

All of them classics
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:43 pm

Stoney, was that poster as fulfilling as your "Brian Jackson is my Hero" poster getting you a full page in the following year's Pilot Basketball media guide?
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:57 pm

Almost... almost.

I'm forgetting some of the other knicknames... wasn't Dean the "Annihalator"?

OOOOOH! Steve "Ned Flanders" Landers!!!!!!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next