Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns???

+6
calpilotfan
upsailor
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
onetouchfutbol
MesaPilot1
10 posters

Go down

FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns??? Empty FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns???

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:55 am

Sci fi,Rob's Jacket or Pilot Nut,

This seem's to have already become a topic of discussion for the 2010-2011 season. Maybe one of you puter whizo administrator's want to sticky it in the future.

Frankly I am more concerned about the present,whether or not the Pilot's can squeeze (doubtful,small school- meager fan support) into the NIT's or get a likely birth into the CBI(per asst coach last night).

I personally hope Larry William's can get Rev. to sign a contract extension and raise. The PN folk's need not be reminded how his Alma Mater "almost" lured him away after 2 marginal-losing seasons here in Portland. Put that in your Pipe and Adult Cocktail and Smoke and Sign-Danger drink on that one. Now as WCC coach of the year, Rev. is a hot commodity. He is in consideration by most if not all MID-Major opening's in the country.I'm sure he's a "hot" and sought after coach for most rebuilding program's on the west coast. Never fear, knowing his loyalty, unless Stanford fire's Dawkins,I don't see him "job jumping" before the 2011-2012 season (after his first recruiting class graduates) I think Rev just played the program into a bigger budget, Yeh Hahhh sunny, with the more wealthy alumni supporter's in the fold now.....etc,etc....

Pretty soon the NCAA tourney's are coming up. That's a gathering place for coach's , Athletic Director' to all come together scratch .Go figure what deal's are brokered there. I'm a little Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad nervous,my finger's are crossed,I hope nothing happen's with REV.

MesaPilot1

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Did you guy's see one of my hero's (Zag fan) right hand side front row, eah gads what a ....)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns??? Empty Pilot Recruiting-Never fear Coach Eric Reveno is here

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:05 am

WITH THE QUALITY OF PLAYER'S COMING OUT OF THE NW,I ANTICIPATE REV. GETTING A BIG SIGNING. Or he could go the T.J. or Nik route as long as it doesn't affect the great team UNITY the PILOT'S had this year.

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction the Zagette fan was on left side of TV screen,front row,acting like a 2 yr old)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns??? Empty Re: FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns???

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 am

Yeah, I think that now that Rev has Coach of the Year under his belt as well as a very solid season he has quite frankly much better job security than he may have had going into the year. He's the man for now and the future unless (heaven forbid!) he decides to leave. So, I guess my point is, he can afford to go after more 4 year types of players now...and he doesn't necessarily have to go after the two year guys anymore. Although, if those guys are studs like TJ, I have no problem if he does.

Very Happy

I'd love to see us go after another pointguard (to back up TJ and take over when he's done) and a legit power forward, but, hey...every college team in the country wants that, don't they?

IMO: CBI unfortunately is more likely than the NIT. The NIT has no rhyme or reason to their selection process, and I'm not sure if we've proven that our fans travel well enough or made Portland a big enough name yet. Although our exposure has been greatly increased this year, and hearing guys like Greg Anthony talk nationally about us being one of the surprise teams that could make the tourney certainly couldn't hurt...as well as TJ having a play in the top 10 on ESPN, the upset over UW (who won the Pac-10 outright and now has a top 12 RPI ranking, I believe).

In many ways, this was a landmark year. Rules
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns??? Empty Re: FTR Recruits, Mesa has other concerns???

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:03 pm

The only thing I slightly disagree on is Rev has 5 big guys he's comfortable to work with the next 2+ years. We forget what Rev did at Stanford as a player/asst coach/associate head coach with big men. I believe his quote's are "Robin-European style,Kramer-he's one tough cat, he's trying so hard to be a player,Jasonn-he did not have the kind of competion in HS as the other's...ie..he's behind other guy's,John-need's to blend into the program,excellant hand's,get into shape better,Luke-he has the innate basketball sense that can't be taught-obviously from Jack. I think his MAIN priority should be swing man (Nik),Pt Guard (TJ).

For what it's worth...

MesaPilot1 Cool

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Agreed James, the CBI is much more likely. Right now, I will be ecstatic with any postseason play...but I think Reveno has the makings to build a program where the CBI would be a disappointment.

Also, with regards to recruiting, I have no problem with going after JUCO guys...as long as we don't get too many of them. You miss two years of development, but if you roll the dice correctly, you get a better player, TJ CAMPBELL. Also, going back a few years, I think Dustin Geddis was another JUCO guy who was good for the program. Think about where this program would be if we had gotten another Waterford (not a nock at all) instead of Campbell.

Basically what I am trying to say is focus on high school kids, but sometimes you have to fill an immediate need and the JUCO route is the way to go.

Lastly, now every donation check I send to the University, the memo line is going to read ERIC REVENO's CONTRACT EXTENSION
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm

And lest you forget the greatest UP Juco player of all time... One Jorge "Coky" Rochin!!! Very Happy

No but seriously, relying completely on JUCO transfers obviously isn't a way to go without blowing the entire continuity of your program, but if you can get a few players ready to play right who still fit within the system I'm all for it. Of the players on the Bluff during my tenure Geddis is definitely one of my faves, hard working, solid defender and rebounder and all in all a classy guy for the program. (And now just had a mental tangent of how good those teams could have been if Holton actually knew how to coach and get the most out of his players)

But TJ is the perfect example of what a Juco player should be, an immediate upgrade at a need position. Also coming in at the same time as a younger, less physically mature player (a la Waterford) helps because the seasoned Juco player can handle the load while the younger player learns the position.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:00 pm

FTR recruits: From class of 2010 the names I have heard being offered so far; Holt of Jesuit(whosedad played for UP, Railey of Beaverton and Harris of Chelan, Wa.. Also Larry Richards of Roosevelt, class of 09
Holt is a [PG as is Richards, Harris a wing and Rai;ey a PF

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:24 pm

upsailor wrote:FTR recruits: From class of 2010 the names I have heard being offered so far; Holt of Jesuit(whosedad played for UP, Railey of Beaverton and Harris of Chelan, Wa.. Also Larry Richards of Roosevelt, class of 09
Holt is a [PG as is Richards, Harris a wing and Rai;ey a PF

How many stars are those guys rated as? I'm just curious. Reveno is great at developing players...

I actually added Rochin as a friend today on Facebook. Good thing I speak Spanish...he started rattling off stuff in Spanish right away...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:38 pm

I was reading about Harris of Chelan, WA, and he sounds pretty good. In fact, some of the guys on the Gonzaga boards seemed to want him over there...so it will be really cool to steal him away.

This looks like more of a 2009 list than 2010 for the state of Washington...maybe a little bit of both:

http://www.seatownsports.net/2009/02/top-25-high-school-basketball-players.html

Tony Wroten is just ridiculous. He's going to make a huge splash in college...as well as Abdul Gaddy (who is heading to UW). One guy who I'm curious about is Alex Shrempf. He seems like the type of player we could land, and maybe he would follow in the footsteps of the other Bellevue guy we have: Luke Sikma. I wonder if Shrempf has already committed somewhere... Maybe I'll google to see if I can answer my own question...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:19 pm

I've seen Gaddy (Sr.), Smith (Jr.), Wroten (SO), Schrempf (Sr.) and Dotson Sr.) in person the past few months and of the 5 only Schrempf would be a reasonably expectation to come here... The other 4 could go to, literally, any school in the country.

However, unless we drop someone's scholly, or convince him to come on only academic scholarships for next year, it isn't gonna happen... Schrempf absolutely bullied a very undersized Bellarmine Prep led by Gaddy on MLK Day (Gaddy's handles and passing ability are incredible, but uh his team has a case of the "stone hands", it is very frustrating to watch). Alex was a beast to watch play, but is very undersized for a post. But I would take my chances on any player who had the genetics of half Detlef Schrempf and half Jamaican T&F star....

Side note, Josh Smith, the #1 guy is an absolute force... I caught him in Districts a few weeks ago. His team is just awful though, he could average 30+ if his team could actually get him the ball. That said he definitely lets his teams downfalls get to him, hence the reason he's never been to a state tourney. But get him on a solid team.... look out...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by calpilotfan Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:13 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:Sci fi,Rob's Jacket or Pilot Nut,
I personally hope Larry William's can get Rev. to sign a contract extension and raise. The PN folk's need not be reminded how his Alma Mater "almost" lured him away after 2 marginal-losing seasons here in Portland. Put that in your Pipe and Adult Cocktail and Smoke and Sign-Danger drink on that one. Now as WCC coach of the year, Rev. is a hot commodity. He is in consideration by most if not all MID-Major opening's in the country.I'm sure he's a "hot" and sought after coach for most rebuilding program's on the west coast. Never fear, knowing his loyalty, unless Stanford fire's Dawkins,I don't see him "job jumping" before the 2011-2012 season (after his first recruiting class graduates) I think Rev just played the program into a bigger budget, Yeh Hahhh sunny, with the more wealthy alumni supporter's in the fold now.....etc,etc....

MesaPilot1

Hope you're right. Guy from ESPN said:

One coach who should land a big-time job before long: Portland's Eric Reveno.

The guy also said Gonzaga could be a final 4 sleeper pick

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/090310&sportCat=ncb

calpilotfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03 am

I forget where the interview was (Oregonian? or a halftime interview on CSN NW?) where Larry Williams made comments about a contract extension for Rev at the end of the season... unlike the Holton and Chavez extensions, this one could turn the corner for the program (not to mention protect us a bit in the event he does leave).

[sidebar]
I still pull my hair out sometimes thinking about the Chavez extension... not that I disagreed with it at the time... but man, did the program ever get run into the ground... coming off the 96 tourney run we had potential, and the conference was starting to rise up... but we totally crashed and burned... Sad . [/sidebar]

Rev doesnt seem to be the type to hop at the first opportunity... I dont see him going to a sub-par academic school; but if Stanford or Notre Dame came calling... I think Williams and Beauchamp will do whatever they can to keep him; he is a GREAT fit for Portland...
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:35 am

The big difference between this year and Chavez going to the tourney. These are all Reveno's guys, whereas Chavez did it with Steele's players.

Seriously though, we all thought the Chavez extension was a good idea. He took somebody else's players to the dance, it could only go up right? wrong.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:44 am

They weren't all Steele's players. One of the keys to that year was Lemont Daniels, a JUCO pickup who was the leader of that team for that year and he next playing forward.

And Rob did get a couple of pretty good guards. He just couldn't attract the top level big guys. We were always the smallest team in the conference, it seems.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:09 am

I forgot about Daniels (well, forgot he was a JUCO guy). Klosterman was the last decent big guy we had for awhile, unless of course you count Kyle Stonehouse.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Tim Frost!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 am

I try to block Tim Frost out of my mind based on what he did to LaSalle in the state tournament.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:17 am

That was brutal.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 am

Mesa just saying that this being Rev.s' first head coaching job it would take much persuation to get him to leave.

Just looking at his big men....Most coach's would have given up on Hanibal by now..not Rev. he still see's a glimmer of hope and give's him his minutes. Kramer get's his minutes but basically is the defensive stopper in the middleway behind other center's offensively.He's has Robin is a converted swingman that he has basically "had" to move inside. Luke , although he is soft,and missing in some game's keep's progressing every year. He will be a beast his senior year with alot of the scoring leaving. Everybody like's to toot Hegarty's horn. When you look at his minute's that's about where he deserve's to be. He can't keep up with the flow of the game (a la Byrant, and certainly not as talented). But by his Junior year he will be able to move and Rev. will be able to incorporate the offense around him inside.

He is not going to leave during his building of a "big man crew". I'm not saying this is Stanford. But currently he is getting the most out of his inside game .AND A COUPLE OF YOU GUY'S WHO LIKE TO CROW ABOUT THE OUTSIDE GAME WE'LL SEE WHAT REV DOE'S AND WILL DO AGAIN.

Grouchy Mesa1 aka MesaPilot1

afro

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:42 am

I actually think that Kramer has some great potential on the offensive end. He has nice hands, and some good footwork. I really think he could become a very well-rounded big man - he's already a good defender, rebnounder, and general consistent player.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:50 am

Quit trying to play nice. I'm up for fighting on the Zag Board today,lol. I've alway's wanted to get a BANNED next to my name.

Yeah Kramer's OK, Robin's wierd shot's take my breath away, (sometime's in a good way),Luke is tremendous on the Baseline like Jack was. (Could you imagine shooting basket's with him as your Dad in the backyard, how cool). Who doesn't luv Jasonn and his positive attitude. Big John and his toughness, I just hope he get's over being so hard on himself. I'm sure REV. will stop that in the next couple year's and it's great to see him so into the game as the "enforcer" for the Pilot's.

Nicee,Nicee Pilot1 aka MesaPilot1 tongue

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gonzaga 2009 World Champ's , after they beat L.A. in 7 of course.)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 pm

not playing nice, I don't like you enough to play nice! I'm still mad you ditched out on vegas and I couldn't meet you. I just think that Kramer could become our best post player in a long time on the bluff.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down