Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pliny

+3
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
Geezaldinho
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pliny - Page 2 Empty Re: Pliny

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:12 am

DaTruRochin wrote:
And what is the story with the usage of the Roman statesman for beer titles?? I read that the Younger is a triple hopped version of their IPA (Elder is only double hopped)...

Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "Lupus salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs."

It was Pliny the Elder who quoted Virgil when he was convincing his naval forces to save people on the beaches near Pompeii with "Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
That's usually translated as "Fortune favors the bold"

Bold is a pretty good description of the beer, I think you will agree.

The rescue mission didn't go so well for Old Pliny. He died of asphyxiation from the fumes during the attempt, according to his nephew the Younger.

And the PTY beer seems a bit umm.. smoother than the Elder. with the Elder, you think "wow! hoppy" with the Younger , you don't so much. I still like the original better. It probably matters what part of the brewing process they put the hops in. I think with the Elder, they put a sack of it in the barrel just before it's bunged.

Thruth be known, my reaction with the Younger was "wow! $7.75 for a Shot glass!!"

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:43 am

PilotNut wrote:Oh man, the center cup. Is the center king's cup like the center cup in Chandeliers? (Everyone contributes?) drunken

Yeah pretty much.... Only it's usually a big group of people... as a king is drawn, a generous portion of you drink goes in the center cup, WHATEVER you happen to be drinking whether it be PBR, wine, vodka and redbull, jaeger, milk... it goes in the middle... the person who draws the 4th king has to finish whatever is in there. So yes it is like chandeliers but a little slower paced, not involving any skill but potentially devastating/disgusting...

But Chandeliers was always a personal favorite of mine as well... I'm pretty sure Rochin54 and I engaged in a few epic rounds of that, actually I KNOW we did...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm thirsty.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:48 pm

A-James... FYI if you stop by a Metropolitan Market they carry Pliny, I just picked up a bottle last night... Oh so good... http://metropolitan-market.com/contactus.php I would call ahead to make sure they have it, or you can actually call/talk to the individual stores, the beer supply guys are usually good about orders and requests (at least the one it Tacoma is)

And if you can't find it there you can always check out Bottleworks on 45th in Wallingford... It isn't listed on their website, but I'm pretty sure they get regular shipments of it up there (But it isn't ALWAYS in stock so call ahead) http://www.bottleworks.com/
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks, I was just going to ask where I should look for it in Seattle. Is it on tap at the Fox Sports Grill downtown? I'd imagine it is...that place has a huge selection... Oh yeah, I know exactly where that Metro Market is near Key Arena. I'll check that out soon! Right now, I'm sipping on Deschutes Brewery's Buzzsaw Brown seasonal ale that I picked up at Freddy's in Ballard. Good stuff...up there with Black Butte Porter as far as beers from Deshutes goes...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 pm

the Washington stores that carry it are here

http://russianriverbrewing.com/web/accounts/click_act_list.htm
Geezaldinho