Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UP Now Doing Video!!!

+2
SciFi
Stonehouse
6 posters

Go down

UP Now Doing Video!!! Empty UP Now Doing Video!!!

Post by Stonehouse Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 pm

This is very, very cool:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=4471

A lot of WCC schools do this, and now UP is too! You can test out the video streaming for free tomorrow (Friday) during the volleyball match against Portland State.

The video site itself also looks really good:

www.pilotsvideo.com

Hopefully soccer will be added for next year, once they can figure out how to get good high-speed internet out to Merlo Field.

I think you've really got to tip your hat to Larry Williams and the SID office for making this happen... we are starting to really see the fruits of having a guy like Williams as the AD. Just think about what's going on this year: the Merlo Field improvements, the new logo, the new Purple Pride, the resurfacing of the Chiles Center, the painting of the Chiles Center, the addition of videostreaming... you really do get the sense that things are on the up-and-up out on The Bluff.

Really, the one missing pieces is the new Howard Hall. Once a state-of-the-art workout/training complex is built, I would say that we will be on par with or above all of our WCC bretheren in terms of facilities. Pretty darn cool.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

UP Now Doing Video!!! Empty Re: UP Now Doing Video!!!

Post by SciFi Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:52 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see them continue to improve Merlo Field though. . . maybe add more seating. . .

-SciFi

UP Now Doing Video!!! Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2007-04-28

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:19 pm

This is absolutely fantastic. My only question is who the announcers will be. Are we going to be simulcasting radio/video, or does www.pilotvideo.com mark the end of UP's presence on KKAD 1550? As much as I love this idea, I really hope not. I'll be out tomorrow evening so I won't be able to test the stream, but could somebody post as to how it goes (preferably someone with a Mac)?

New logo . . . meh. But thus far I'm 100% with LW on everything else.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:15 am

Dionn-

I don't think the radio relationship with Sunny 1550 KKAD will end. What I *think* is going to happen is that the video will just pick up the audio feed that they already do for all the sports. So it's not like there will be new people doing just the video broadcasting. And I'm assuming that means for men's basketball that means Callan and Jason Brough will be doing the play-by-play for the video streaming.

As for the new logo... I know what you mean, but seriously, if you've been out to Merlo or have seen the new floor, it is really looking good on everything. Even the merchandise (still a limited selection, which is kind of annoying) looks really sharp too... I bought a pretty sweet track jacket over at the UP bookstore this weekend. I love the old wheel too, but I think that the new logo is giving everything a new shot in the arm and is providing a means to make improvements (like the sign hanging below the press box at Merlo, which is sweet).
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

UP Now Doing Video!!! Empty new signage looks good

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:03 am

But they need to update what's there a bit. the signs of the Olympic and WC team players are looking a little ratty, and the lists are missing a few players (Frenchie on the Olympic roster), and add the new WC players.

They are probably waiting for this Year's construction to finish up.

What happened to the Clive statue and court that was on the drawings?

Last edited by on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:45 am

Geezer... you are 100% right about those signs. They definitely are looking ratty, especially the older ones that have faded into a lilac color and look pretty bad next to the newer, darker purple ones.

Not sure about the court/"walk of fame" thing... the back side of Merlo looks really nice with the landscaping and the stairs up to Fr. Pru Field (got to start calling it that, I suppose!). I don't know if it will all be done this year, but I do hope that they will still do something that highlights the achievemnts of the programs and honors Clive.

In fact, maybe they could take down those older signs (keep up the National championship ones) and make new signes in the "walk of fame" side of it that are easily ammendable with lists of when UP made the tournament, All-Americans, Pilot Hall of Famers, etc.

That would be pretty cool, I think, and would make room for more ads behind the goal and solve the problem of the ratty old signs.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Maybe it's getting moved out in front of the turnstiles. In a way it makes ore sense there, anyway
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:58 pm

That's what I assumed too, Stonehouse, but it's really not that uncommon to make radio and internet an either/or thing as well. As an example, my Willamette Bearcats had a radio station here in Salem that carried all our football games and our away basketball games, but this year we've switched to internet broadcasting only. The Portland Timbers did the same thing a few years ago.

That all being said, I certainly don't want to detract from the fact that this is very exciting news!

New logo . . . meh.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

UP Now Doing Video!!! Empty Merchandise

Post by PilotNut Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Ok, I have to get this off my chest, since Stonhouse brought it up... I went to both the Athletic Dept's booth @ Merlo and the bookstore last weekend to buy some new UP gear... and while the new logo stuff is MUCH MUCH better than the old stuff (which was down right shameful), I was disappointed. There are only a couple variations of the same t-shirt, sweatshirt and fleece/jacket. Sleep (I did see Stonehouse's soccer track jacket in the bookstore, and it looks pretty cool!).

I guess I expected a little more variety... why isnt there gear like the samples on the button you push to get to the Merchandise on the athletic department site?

I wanted to buy a t-shirt that wasnt grey (I have about 50 grey t-shirts!). It seemed as though my only option was a long sleeve white t-shirt. Where are the ringer T's? The white & purple stuff? Any why dont they sell soccer replica jersies?

I would have thought they would have gone all out for the rollout of the new merchandise... No

I walked away with money in my pocket I wanted to spend, but didnt!

Sorry for venting. I feel better now. Wink

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:50 pm

PilotNut... I am totally with you on that! I'm not really sure what the hang up is, but there is definitely the potential for some really cool gear - as you mentioned... ringers, track jackets, sweatshirts of various designs... sigh... I feel your pain.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

UP Now Doing Video!!! Empty Anyone watch?

Post by PilotNut Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Did anyone test the video of the volleyball match last night? How was the picture quality? Nice win over PSU, by the way.

I am surprised they dont have a "sample" on the video web site to see what you are buying, before you buy it.... just a couple seconds of the video from last night maybe? Or maybe let you test drive it for a couple minutes before buying?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:42 pm

wow, that is some expensive video. Maybe someone can send me a gift certificate! Do you have to watch everything live? I will be in bed before the games start, does anyone know if you can watch the games the next day? I am too lazy to research for myself.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

UP Now Doing Video!!! Empty Replays

Post by PilotNut Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:17 pm

It did say that there would be an archive... now what you need to pay for the archive, I dont know.

It would be cool if you could watch the video 24 hours later for $4 or something.

At $8 per pop, that is practically more expensive than a ticket to the game... you can see they are pushing people to buy the $100 all inclusive package.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down