Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lauren Hansen

+14
harryb
wrv
DaTruRochin
KFTC
fan from afar
FANatic
onetouchfutbol
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
upsailor
SoreKnees
PurplePrideTrumpet
skip hobart
18 posters

Go down

Lauren Hansen Empty Lauren Hansen

Post by skip hobart Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Is this a a win win situation?

"EUGENE, Ore. – Head soccer coach Tara Erickson announced Tuesday that Lauren Hanson will join the University of Oregon women’s soccer program as Associate Head Coach. Hanson will assist in player development, specifically with the defense, while serving as the program’s recruiting coordinator. She will also handle soccer operations for the Ducks."

skip hobart
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Lauren Hansen Empty Re: Lauren Hansen

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Really? Well, it will be good for the Ducks.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:29 pm

I guess she doesn't like going to the NCAA tournament that much. Seriously, there must be extenuating circumstances (family reasons?) why she would make essentially a lateral move to a vastly inferior program.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Lauren Hansen Empty lauren hansen

Post by upsailor Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:46 pm

With Lauren moving to the Ducks, almost a demote, will Lisa move to her slot ?

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Lauren will be sorely missed... definitely sad to see her go. But UO being UO, I think what you are seeing here is the school making a significant investment into their women's soccer program. They have been on the cusp of the NCAA tournament a few times but haven't quite gotten there. Bringing Lauren in I'm sure cost them some serious money, but I know she will do a great job.

Tough to say what will happen from here... we haven't had a goalkeeping coach since Dan Shell left. Maybe time for one now? The nice thing is that we have such a great network of alums in the coaching field that we have an awesome selection of people to choose from. Still, very sad there will be no more Boogie. Sad
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:02 pm

I think this is a natural step up for Lauren. After all she has meant for the University, it would be impossible to root against her. This is a great step up for her in her career. I just hope we see her again in purple before we are done. UP's influence is coming to the fore all over the West coast. I just have to smile when I see that.

As to her replacement? Lisa would be a natural if she doesn't pursue a pro career. That's her decision. Even if she goes pro. I trust that there are others in the UP family that can come forward.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Although we'll miss Lauren terribly, this tells me that she has plans one day to be an NCAA D1 soccer coach at the highest level. Although the WCC is a great conference, the Pac 10 is the best conference in the country. By far! (More about that in a couple of weeks in an RPI-related post. See you later, ACC!) So now, we have Lauren as #2 at Oregon and Shannon as #2 at UCLA! GO PILOTS!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:43 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:Although we'll miss Lauren terribly, this tells me that she has plans one day to be an NCAA D1 soccer coach at the highest level. Although the WCC is a great conference, the Pac 10 is the best conference in the country. By far! (More about that in a couple of weeks in an RPI-related post. See you later, ACC!) So now, we have Lauren as #2 at Oregon and Shannon as #2 at UCLA! GO PILOTS!

That's questionable at best. I'd expect Santa Clara to rebound, and the WCC will be able to compete very well. When you combine the number of final 4 appearances and national titles between Portland and Santa Clara, I think you could make the argument that the WCC has been better in women's soccer over the years.

Duck is for stew. affraid
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Sorry to see Lauren leave. But I think it's a great move for her. She'd have to wait a long time to be head coach of the Pilots, 'cause Garrett is relatively young.

I also think the Ducks made her a financial offer that was hard to refuse. Plus, her new position sounds like she will be in training for a D1 coaching job down the road a few years.

Will be interesting to see how Pilots react. Lauren was very special.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:26 am

"That's questionable at best. I'd expect Santa Clara to rebound, and the WCC will be able to compete very well. When you combine the number of final 4 appearances and national titles between Portland and Santa Clara, I think you could make the argument that the WCC has been better in women's soccer over the years."

I think you can make a real good case for the WCC vs PAC 10 with the top 2 teams, but if you look at all the teams top to bottom, it's not even close - Pac 10 hands down. More to the point, I agree that the PAC 10 seems to have passed the ACC - UCLA, Stanford, USC and lots more solid programs - top to bottom strength. Sort of like the Big East out here - in basketball.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:45 pm

Agreed, Fan from Afar...no question, the Pac-10 is the best conference in the country, surpassing the ACC. Washington State, UW, Cal, Stanford, USC, and UCLA were all tournament teams, and I can't quite remember but I think all advanced past the first round...maybe WSU lost. UCLA and Stanford were both in the Final Four. The WCC has never put that many teams in, and only Santa Clara and Portland have been serious contenders for the past 15 years. In the Pac-10, UW, Stanford, USC and UCLA (and sometimes Cal) all compete for the conference championship from year to year.

As far as this being a lateral (or almost a demotion, as someone said) for Lauren, I completely disagree. She's going from a 1st assistant position to Associate Head Coach. When Coach Erikson had her second child, it was due during preseason in 2007 I think; Mike Smith did the trainings and set up sessions himself while Coach Erikson was on her maternity leave. Lauren will have a hand in running and continuing to build a program in the most dominant conference in the country. It's a good move for any coach looking to develop personally and professionally.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Well if you want to consider it a lateral move, it's most definitely a lateral move with the potential for advancement. She just flat out wasn't going to see promotion at UP and as a career move, this is definitely a great one. Not only that UO's athletic funds and whatnot make this still relatively young program a very ideal place for her to make a name for herself in coaching, a place where she can be the part of a budding program in the midst of arguably the most competitive region in all of college soccer. I say kudos to her, and the best of luck... As long as they aren't playing anyone wearing purple and white...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Lauren Hansen Empty Recruiting

Post by wrv Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Good for Lauren. The question that I have is how is this likely to affect our attempt to recruit the elite players currently considering the Pilots? Was Lauren so intregal to the recruiting process that Eddy, Ohai, or other players of their caliber might be affected in their consideration of the Pilots? Hmmn . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:49 pm

On the plus side, if Oregon can consistently make the playoffs, it probably means more playoff games at Merlo.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:29 pm

wrv wrote:Good for Lauren. The question that I have is how is this likely to affect our attempt to recruit the elite players currently considering the Pilots? Was Lauren so intregal to the recruiting process that Eddy, Ohai, or other players of their caliber might be affected in their consideration of the Pilots? Hmmn . . .

This kind of stuff happens all the time in coaching. The kids are usually disappointed if their recruiting coach leaves but it is not the same impact as the head coach leaving. Garret is the guy who decides if you play or if you sit. Having said that I am somewhat surprised to see her moving from UP inasmuch as her husband I think his name is Bryan just recently took a baseball coaching job with the Pilots. I would not be surprised if he also was moving to a baseball program near Duckland. I am pretty sure Lisa will be playing pro so that leaves us with no assistants. We could be looking at Tiffany Milbrett who was training with the team last year if she doesn't go pro which it seems like she won't (no mention of her at the combine). Sinclair who was also practicing with the team is still active so it won't be her. Maybe we could get Shannon Mac back from UCLA. They don't seem to keep their assistants long.(see Mark Carr and Joe Melia). However, an assistant's Job at UCLA is a transition to a head coaching job in Div. I. If Bill and Garret have a hankering for a great GK coach Pepperdine has one the in person of Ian Feuer who played professionally in England and has that special gift coaches have who can break things down into small fundamentals. Kelsey has trained under him. However, with Bill you don't really need a Goalkeeper coach you have one already built in. I expect to see a recently graduated player who is looking to get her masters paid for to fill in as an assistant. Megan R. is going pro. Perhaps we might have a shot at Rachel who I think would be a bang up choice. There will be someone though to handle the parents and coral the ladies onto the bus. These are chores Garret does not like to do himself. I just can't see him and Bill driving the mini buses by themselves while on the road.

All in all I am happy for Boogie as she is affectionaly known and wish her well. Good that she is transferring to a Pac 10 school and not a WCC so we don't have to get all teary when we see her on the other sideline.
Unfortunately this probably means that we still have to play Oregon in the offseason when we could be otherwise getting a better game to help our RPI. We continue to see Clive's shadow spreading across the land. Its eerie almost. Can anyone name a college coach who was more influential. Not just talking about records here or we would have to include some coaches who have gone over to the dark side.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm

fan from afar wrote:"That's questionable at best. I'd expect Santa Clara to rebound, and the WCC will be able to compete very well. When you combine the number of final 4 appearances and national titles between Portland and Santa Clara, I think you could make the argument that the WCC has been better in women's soccer over the years."

I think you can make a real good case for the WCC vs PAC 10 with the top 2 teams, but if you look at all the teams top to bottom, it's not even close - Pac 10 hands down. More to the point, I agree that the PAC 10 seems to have passed the ACC - UCLA, Stanford, USC and lots more solid programs - top to bottom strength. Sort of like the Big East out here - in basketball.

Of course, the Pac-10 is extremely strong from top to bottom. That's pretty undeniable. But what criteria do you use to assess the strength of a conference? When 2 of your top teams are Final 4 contenders or national champs, that's impressive. The WCC and ACC are top heavy with UNC, Santa Clara, and Portland. But, working in a more competitive conference isn't always preferrable. Recruiting can be brutal when there's that much parity.

I wish the best to Lauren, and at the same time I'm not a Ducks fan at all. So, take what I'm writing with a small grain of salt. Twisted Evil Like I said, ducks are for stew.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:33 pm

In total, 19 former Pilots appeared for the alumni team, including (in order of graduation year): Cindy Griffith (’94), Tiffeny Milbrett (’95), Michelle French (’99), Angela Harrison (’00), Kylee Barton (’01), Brooke O’Hanley (’02), Betsy Barr (’03), Valerie Fletcher (’03), Erin Misaki (’03), Lauren Orlandos-Hanson (’03), Emily Patterson (’03), Jessica Heller (’05), Kelsy Hollenbeck (’06), Colleen Salisbury (’06), Christine Sinclair (’06), Cori Alexander (’07), Kari Evans (’07), Elsa Hume (’07) and Lisa Sari (’07).

These Pilot Alums still have some association with the team. The new assistant(s) could be one or a couple from the list. As far as other ex-players...I agree that Rachael Rapinoe is a good candidate also. I personally think Rebecca Meierbachtol could be a darkhorse if she wanted to. Players who didn't have "complete" careers due to injuries...seem to evolve into excellent coaches and assistants....such as Rachael and Rebecca! But how about Wynne McIntosh? Does anyone know if she's interested in returning to the program?

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Posted just an hour ago on the BigSoccer website:

"Rumor has it UCLA is looking for a new staff to assist the head coach. "

Anyone heard anything about Shannon Mac? Would that be great, or what?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:42 pm

What a great group?! I'm not sure about Wynne, but, she's been one of the people in touch with Frenchie recently, I believe.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 pm

You know we are all assuming Pilots maybe there could be another player/coach coming in from another school?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:56 pm

Getting Shannon back would be the dream. Her and Tiffany both would perfect.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:06 pm

If any players go to the new developing women's pro league, it might limit the choices a little bit... Tiffany and Shannon are two of my all time favorites though.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by powerfan Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:16 am

It won't be MAC. She is the new director of coaching for competitive girls for the SD Sharks.

http://soccer.xksandiego.com/news.php?viewStory=1598

powerfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:28 pm

I agree that Lauren H. in Eugene will be good for the Ducks and soccer in Oregon (the whole state, not just the U) and even the whole Pacific Northwest. It's a solid career move for her. I'd say the Pilots are in position to take their first choice of assistant(s), wherever they come from. Lisa Sari going pro would be fantastic PR for UP. Watching Lisa and Lauren warming up the keepers last season, it's clear that they can both play ... and lead. As a comment about the list of alumni team players above: Elsa Hume is a nurse now, I think. Maybe Michelle Scifo, coach of the Oregon state champion Lincoln Cardinals, is rethinking her post-graduate plans?

And here I thought we might not have much soccer news this winter.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down