Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lauren Orlandos Podcast

+6
KFTC
pilotfan4ever
FANatic
purple haze
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
10 posters

Go down

Lauren Orlandos Podcast Empty Lauren Orlandos Podcast

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Podcast here

This was apparently done this morning, and there wasn't any discussion about Rachael as the team heads up to Seattle.

But there are a lot of other tidbits, including that Florida State wants to come back to Portland to play at Merlo.

It's a good listen.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Lauren Orlandos Podcast Empty Re: Lauren Orlandos Podcast

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:05 pm

But there are a lot of other tidbits, including that Florida State wants to come back to Portland to play at Merlo.

Geezer, I am not surprised at this as I spoke with Coach Krikorian after the game opener last year and he told me the noise from fans and the pressure atmosphere would be good for his women come playoff time.

I guess it was because they made the finals.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:50 pm

Keep the high-quality college teams coming to Merlo! At this rate, UP will deserve a professional women's team before most major U.S. cities. Lauren noted that the Pilots outdraw her former pro team in attendance. And if Timbers owner Merritt Paulson can indeed get a pro women's team in Portland, then it would make sense to stock it with hometown heroes.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Lauren Orlandos Podcast Empty The Pro-Pilots

Post by FANatic Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:23 am

They couldn't call a new women's pro team in this city the Portland (fill in a name).

They'd have to call them the Portland Pro-Pilots!!! Lauren Orlandos Podcast Happy-096
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Dare I suggest a sponser for the team ..The Portland Propel Pro-Pilots
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Got to admit it's unique, Auto Pilot. But I'll bite!

Ya think "get it done" man Merritt Paulson will go for it?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Lauren Orlandos Podcast Empty Can you imagine a pre-season NIT-like tourney here

Post by pilotfan4ever Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Piggybacking off Lauren's comments about Merlo, the fans, etc...can you imagine a knock out 8 or 10 team tourney to start off the year (like the NIT used to be for ncaa basketball)? Invite the top 8 finishers from the previous year or the perennial top 8 or 10 teams; 3 games over one week. Nothing like it in soccer now. Get some TV coverage. Just a Saturday afternoon dream!

pilotfan4ever
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:25 pm

I don't know about sanctioning body rules or any logistics that might stand in the way pilotfan but you know what? I think the more people/programs that get exposed to what I will call the "Merlo Experience" the more prestige to UP, and the City of Portland as a soccer Mecca. Oregon is already known as Track Town USA. Why shouldn't we add Soccer Town to that as well. After all Nike is here (or there as it were I live in SoCal).

Only thing I would be concerned about it fan fatigue. How many would come to watch teams from out of state to play each other? If its possible UP is the place where it might work.

I like the dream. Clive did it and look where we are now.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Actually, we can't be known as Soccer Town because we are already known as Soccer City, USA.

Portland was known as "Soccer City USA" during the heyday of the Timbers in the 1970's, and has maintained that reputation, even without a professional team calling the city home for several years. After a US National Team 1-0 victory over Costa Rica at Civic Stadium in 1997, the players described the fans as the best the US National Team had ever seen. The WUSA All-Star game drew over 14,000 to PGE Park, despite the fact that Portland has no WUSA team. In the 1999 Women's World Cup, Portland had 17,688 for games between Russian and Norway and then China and Ghana. Then 20,129 showed up for North Korea vs Denmark and Germany vs. Mexico. Portland also has two of the most successful college soccer programs in the country in the University of Portland men's and women's teams. Merlo Field is among the nicest soccer-specific facilities in the United States.

Soccer City, USA
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:13 pm

In the 1999 Women's World Cup, Portland had 17,688 for games between Russian and Norway Japan and then China and Ghana.

It was Japan. I went and this was the most people I've ever seen at the stadium.

Portland also has two of the most successful college soccer programs in the country in the University of Portland men's and women's teams. Merlo Field is among the nicest soccer-specific facilities in the United States.

This part is true. Very Happy
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:02 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:Oregon is already known as Track Town USA. Why shouldn't we add Soccer Town to that as well. After all Nike is here (or there as it were I live in SoCal).

Actually, Eugene is known as Track Town, USA and Portland--I think--was at one time referred to as Soccer City. (Maybe it still is?)
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:59 am

PPT, I copied and pasted that from the SoccerCity, USA, website. I didn't proof it carefully before pasting it here. Sorry.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:09 pm

I wish the self-bestowed title of Soccer City USA meant more in the big scheme of things. Who is the competition? Most of the USA still thinks soccer is for kids to play and for adult men to ignore. Soccer is the sport that grabs me, and I'm OK with holding a minority opinion vs. the hordes of Packers and Lakers andRed Sox fans. If soccer is underrated in general in the USA, then women's soccer is moreso. I'm just glad to have found a niche that suits me and my family, and a Pilots team that embodies so much of what is best about sports.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:35 pm

purple haze wrote:

If soccer is underrated in general in the USA, then women's soccer is moreso. I'm just glad to have found a niche that suits me and my family, and a Pilots team that embodies so much of what is best about sports.

purple h. - This quote fits me to a T. (With the exception that my family is pretty much not interested in sports, and certainly not soccer.)

But the Pilots Women's Team is a niche for me that I'm glad I found, and I agree that the team and program embodies so much of what is best about sports. (To "kind of" paraphrase your quote).

What I am saying is yes, yes, yes......Lauren Orlandos Podcast Happy-096
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Hey, don't dis the Packers. They're the Portland Pilots Women's Soccer team of NFL football.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:20 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:Hey, don't dis the Packers. They're the Portland Pilots Women's Soccer team of NFL football.

I don't know if I should be insulted by that insinuation....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Not at all. I'm talking about teams with fanatic local fan ownership and support that big city guys would find improbable!

Long live the Purple Pilots Fanatics -- and the Packer Cheeseheads!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down