Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freshmen...

5 posters

Go down

Freshmen... Empty Freshmen...

Post by UPhoopfan Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:48 pm

Seeing how freshmen orientation was this weekend I was wondering if anyone had the chance to catch an open gym. Just curious on how the newcomers stacked up to the older guys...or what's left of them!

UPhoopfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-08-26

Back to top Go down

Freshmen... Empty Re: Freshmen...

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Well I know that all of the freshman (and Nik Raivio) were on campus this summer getting a head start on classes and playing against whatever returning players were around as well as other local basketball players (including Kevin Love, Dan Dickau, and Freddie Jones... before the Randoph trade).

From what I've heard, Raivio looked very good, Stohl is a total gym rat and can really shoot the ball well, Knutson is very strong and rugged down low, Sikma is skilled but maybe a bit soft, Porter can jump out of the gym... truly has highlight real athleticism, and Hannibal is HUGE but has a lot of work to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if Raivio was our leading scorer and Stohl got pretty significant minutes as a gunner off the bench. As far as down low, it will be trial by fire for those kids and all of them will get minutes, with maybe Knutson being the most ready as of now.

When I hear more, I'll let you know!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:30 pm

Bench warmer, Your comment about Luke Sikma bears out my impression after watching the Oreg. - Wash summer All Star game. Sikma started and play a good share of the first half, but hardly any time in the second. That did not surprise me at all as he hadn't done anything when he played. Didn't play with any intensity or aggressive at all. I had hoped that it was just a bad nite, which can happen.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:19 am

upsailor... I was at the Oregon-Wash All-Star game too and left very disappointed in the way Sikma played. He didn't play hard at all and didn't seem to care about the game.

HOWEVER... I just heard from a friend at UP (I am still close enough to my graduation day to know some people over there... gotta take advantage of that while I still can!) that Sikma has been looking terrific in the open gyms the past week. And I mean just absolutely killing it. If he can continue that and really get after it in practice once that starts, he could become an essential part of the rotation. One of the freshman big guys HAS to step up in order for us to have a decent season... and from what I hear, it's sounding like it might be Sikma.

It's sooooo good to hear that about him. I knew that he had a ton of potential, but I was worried after I saw him at that game. But he's definitely got a tremendous amount of skill... I think the thing for him will be actually putting in the work to become a great player. He probably didn't have to work very hard to be great in high school, but that's not going to fly at the D1 level. What I'm hoping is that several months of Reveno getting after him (Lord knows HE knows how to play hard with desire and aggression) will give Sikma that edge. Maybe it's already started to happen...?

As for the other new guys... Raivio is clearly going to be the starting shooting guard - just a smooth and smart player. Stohl is still looking very good. Knutson is solid down low - he's really strong for his size. Hannibal is huge but is a project. Porter can jump out of the gym but is also a bit of a project.

So that's what I've got so far.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Didn't Sikma's father, like David Robinson, have a late growing spurt, shooting up to 6'10" finally? Let's hope that genetic predisposition affects the next generation while here on the Bluff . . . keep up the reports . . .perhaps we will be okay this year?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by upforever Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:47 am

Stonehouse wrote:Well I know that all of the freshman (and Nik Raivio) were on campus this summer getting a head start on classes and playing against whatever returning players were around as well as other local basketball players (including Kevin Love, Dan Dickau, and Freddie Jones... before the Randoph trade).

From what I've heard, Raivio looked very good, Stohl is a total gym rat and can really shoot the ball well, Knutson is very strong and rugged down low, Sikma is skilled but maybe a bit soft, Porter can jump out of the gym... truly has highlight real athleticism, and Hannibal is HUGE but has a lot of work to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if Raivio was our leading scorer and Stohl got pretty significant minutes as a gunner off the bench. As far as down low, it will be trial by fire for those kids and all of them will get minutes, with maybe Knutson being the most ready as of now.

When I hear more, I'll let you know!
Do you see Raivio and Knutson in the starting line up ?

upforever
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:11 pm

upforever: yes, definitely Raivio. He will be the starting shooting guard no doubt about it.

As for Knutson... I'm guessing yes, even though I haven't actually seen him play and have only heard reports. I think he's well ahead of where Hannibal is right now in terms of readiness to play D1 ball. I've heard Kramer is strong, smart, and is a good defender, which I suppose is about the best you can expect out of a freshman center. Obviously it's not ideal, but I think he's definitely more ready that Jasonn.

Sikma will get minutes too, but he's definitely more of a 4 than a 5. Maybe Smeulders can slide over and play minutes at the 5 (he's got the size but maybe not the strength) as well. It would probably depend on match-ups.

But short answer: yes, I think the most likely starting line-up will be Ito, Raivio, Watson, Smeulders, and Knutson.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by upforever Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:52 pm

Stonehouse wrote:upforever: yes, definitely Raivio. He will be the starting shooting guard no doubt about it.

As for Knutson... I'm guessing yes, even though I haven't actually seen him play and have only heard reports. I think he's well ahead of where Hannibal is right now in terms of readiness to play D1 ball. I've heard Kramer is strong, smart, and is a good defender, which I suppose is about the best you can expect out of a freshman center. Obviously it's not ideal, but I think he's definitely more ready that Jasonn.

Sikma will get minutes too, but he's definitely more of a 4 than a 5. Maybe Smeulders can slide over and play minutes at the 5 (he's got the size but maybe not the strength) as well. It would probably depend on match-ups.

But short answer: yes, I think the most likely starting line-up will be Ito, Raivio, Watson, Smeulders, and Knutson.
What are you thought on Smeulders' skills ? He certainly looks good on paper.

upforever
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down