Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good win over Fairleigh Dickinson

5 posters

Go down

Good win over Fairleigh Dickinson Empty Good win over Fairleigh Dickinson

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:33 pm

The UP men won in convincing fashion this afternoon 4:0. They pretty much ran a clinic on the Knights, as they out hustled, out passed, an out ran them.

Once again, Frankie Lopez showed this is going to be his team. He got three of the four goals and an assist on a corner to win the most outstanding player of the tournament award. Actually, the whole team looked good. the defense is solid, possibly better than last year, and the midfield again showed it was the class of the contest.

This game wasn't as close as the score indicates. It was a great, totally dominating win. If this team keeps playing this well, they have a shot at the conference berth.

If you haven't seen Pilots men's soccer in a while, it's time to start coming back.

Santa Clara, BTW lost last night to Loyola/Chicago 2:0

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Good win over Fairleigh Dickinson Empty Re: Good win over Fairleigh Dickinson

Post by pms275 Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:01 pm

It was a great game.

As an aside...the Villa Drum Squad was in mid-season form. They alone were worth the price of admission. Very Happy
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:11 pm

My favorite was the "Fernando" cheer. It went something like "Hey Fernando- you should use the time while you are subbed out to figure out what you did wrong, and resolve to do better when you come back in."

I did notice they wore shirts during the rainstorm, however.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm with the Geez, this was a great game. The guys were more fun to watch than they've been in years. And the absolute downpour in the first half made it even more fun. For those who have found the guys to plan an unattractive game in past years, you should give them another chance. If they play as they did today, you won't be disappointed.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:27 pm

That downpour was fun? I'm just glad I brough an umbrella! Give me that sunshine we had at the beginning and end of the match anyday.

Lopez actually had only two goals (Kawulok and Irwin had the others, Kawulok off of a Lopez corner), but when he had the ball at his feet, he had a confidence that he did not have last year. On that first strike Lopez must have taken on four of their players by himself. Quite impressive.

Pretty good attendance at the men's games this weekend. I just hope more and more people start coming back to see them. I'd love to seem them match the women in number of spectators.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:11 pm

I suspect a good crowd will be on hand for the next home game. The women should provide a great lead in with their 5:30pm match against Northern Arizona. That should set the men up great for their 8pm kick off against Washington. We need to have those people in the stands for the Fox Soccer Channel broadcast.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Good win over Fairleigh Dickinson Empty Pilot Men

Post by Oscar Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:10 am

Man I just hate seeing all the empty seats for the men's games. They are very much improved even over last year. Frankie is an unbelievable dynamo. He puts so much pressure on the defense that there are going to be plenty of holes for the rest of the team.

I'm also very happy with the play of young Mr. Van Schaik in the middle. He's very composed and has a great head on his shoulders. Shades of Angie Woznuk of days past. Plenty to like about this team. They played Va Tech well so let's see how they grow.

COME AND WATCH THE MEN PLAY!!

Oscar
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm

I agree about Van Schaik. In fact, although Frankie was great yesterday, I'm almost ready to give Van Schaik the "Player of the Match" award. He was great on defense and in transitioning to offense. He just ran circles around the Fairleigh Dickinson players.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down