Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga

+11
PurplePrideTrumpet
ejjqb
Harry Redknapp
eProf
Stonehouse
justabystander
UPSoccerFanatic
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
purple passion
A_Fan
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gonzaga Empty Gonzaga

Post by A_Fan Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:06 am

Pilots Begin Three-Game Homestand Saturday Night against Gonzaga

On the web: http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2013/10/15/WSOC_1015131556.aspx

Video preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E0qkFzBTs4&hd=1
Ronald McDonald House Fundraiser video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqGou3tYdaI&hd=1

#5 PORTLAND PILOTS (11-1-1, 3-0-0 WCC)

vs. GONZAGA BULLDOGS (5-6-1, 1-1-0 WCC)

Date: Saturday, October 19, 2013

Kick-off: 7:00 p.m.

Pitch: Merlo Field (4,892)

Live Video: PilotsVideo.com

Live Stats: PortlandPilots.com

POR vs. GU

Overall Series: 20-0-1

Here: 10-0-0

There: 10-0-1

Neutral: 0-0-0

Last: POR 1, @GU 1 (2ot) - Oct. 11, 2012

THIS WEEK

• The No. 5 Pilots begin a stretch of three straight home games with a West Coast Conference match on Saturday night against the Gonzaga Bulldogs at 7 p.m. at Merlo Field.

• The Pilots will play five of their final six games at the friendly confines of Merlo Field.

ABOUT THE PILOTS

• The Pilots have won eight straight matches, outscoring their opponents 20-6 during that stretch; it’s the longest winning streak for Portland since a 10-game string in 2010.

• Pepperdine’s goal on Sunday, which came on a PK, ended a string of 367 consecutive minutes played without allowing a goal for the Pilots.

• Last Friday’s 2-0 win at LMU also ended an impressive stretch for WCC Player of the Month Micaela Capelle, who had scored at least one goal in five straight games, while recording at least one point in seven straight matches.

• Portland is the No. 5 ranked team in the NSCAA, Soccer America and Top Drawer Soccer polls.

• Portland leads the WCC in goals (27), assists (23), points (77), goals against average (0.83) and shutouts (6).

• Individually goalkeeper Erin Dees leads the league in GAA (0.77) and shutouts (5.1) and Micaela Capelle is tied for the conference-best with four assists.

• Amanda Frisbie became the second straight Pilot to earn WCC Player of the Week honors on Sept. 30; Frisbie earned the accolade by scoring three goals, two game-winners, while adding an assist during Portland’s wins over Wyoming (4-2) and UW (3-0).

• Previously Ellen Parker nabbed the league’s top weekly honor by notching the game-winner and an assist during a 2-1 win at San Diego State on Sept. 22.

• Nine (Boon, Capelle, Evans, Frisbie, Hall, La Prevotte, Parker, Sippel, Wetherington) different Pilots have scored a goal this season, led by Capelle with eight.

• Amanda Frisbie and Michelle Cruz were both selected to the WCC’s preseason all-conference team.

• Frisbie was also named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch list; Frisbie, who made the switch to defense this season, led the conference last year with 12 goals and was tied for the league-high with nine assists.

• UP’s freshman class was ranked No. 5 in the country and features national team players Allison Wetherington (US U-20’s), Ellie Boon (US U-18’s) and Danica Evans (US U-18’s).

• The Pilots have led the nation in attendance for eight straight years.

• The Pilots have advanced to at least the second round of the NCAA playoffs for 13 straight seasons and have reached the playoffs during 20 of the last 21 years.

• Portland won the NCAA National Championship in 2002 and in 2005.

• Head coach Garrett Smith, who is in his 11th year at the helm of the Pilots, has been named the WCC Coach of the Year five times.

STEP UP TO THE MIC

• Micaela Capelle is enjoying her senior season thus far, leading the team in goals (Cool assists (4) and points (20).

• She’s tied for the West Coast Conference high in assists, while ranking second in goals and points.

• Capelle recently had strings of five straight games with a goal and seven straight matches, which were both snapped during Friday’s 2-0 win at LMU.

• The consecutive points stretch was the program’s longest such streak since Danielle Foxhoven ended the 2010 season with a string of seven straight games with a point.

• The native of Gresham, Ore., was named the WCC’s Player of the Month for September after opening the year with seven goals in 10 games.

STATISTICALLY SPEAKING

• As a team, Portland leads the WCC in goals (27), assists (23), points (77), goals against average (0.83) and shutouts (6).

• Individually goalkeeper Erin Dees leads the league in GAA (0.77) and shutouts (5.1) and Micaela Capelle is tied for the conference-best with four assists.

• Capelle is also second in goals and points, while Amanda Frisbie is second with four game-winners.

THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT

• The UP freshmen wasted little time getting acclimated to collegiate soccer after coming to The Bluff as the No. 5 ranked recruiting class in the nation.

• Danica Evans, a forward, and Ariel Viera, a defender, have started all 13 matches thus far, while midfielder Parkes Kendrick has made 10 starts.

• Midfielder Allison Wetherington, who missed a couple of early games due to an injury, has registered two goals and three assists so far, while Evans also has two goals and three assists.

• Ellie Boon was inserted into the starting line-up recently at left back, and she has a goal and an assist on the season.

THE SWITCH

• Portland senior Amanda Frisbie, who has played forward for the past three seasons, made the switch to the backline this year and has already helped the Pilots post six shutouts, which leads the WCC

• Frisbie, who has started 12 of 13 games at center back, is still second on the team with six goals and she’s second in the conference with four game-winners.

• The native of McKinney, Texas, was named the WCC’s Player of the Week on Sept. 30 and she was named to the initial watch list for the MAC Hermann Trophy, which is the highest individual award in college soccer.

• UP has claimed three MAC Hermann Trophies in program history, with Shannon MacMillan (1995) and Christine Sinclair (2004 & 2005) each nabbing collegiate soccer’s top honor.

FOR A GOOD CAUSE

• The Pilots are auctioning off special warm-up jerseys (shown below) this season with all proceeds going to the Ronald McDonald House.

• Each jersey features a player’s number and the team will wear them before every home game all season long.

• Fans can make bids on the jerseys at the fan information booth near the main entrance to Merlo Field during home games, and the winners will be announced following the San Francisco game, on Saturday Nov. 9.

• You can also place bids by emailing Jon Brooks at brooksj@up.edu.

THE COUNTRY’S #1 FANS

• UP led the nation in attendance for the eighth straight year after averaging 3,313 fans per game at Merlo Field last fall.

• Portland has topped the 30,000-fan plateau eight straight years as well, reaching 43,064 total fans last season.

• The Pilots have also exceeded the 40,000-fan mark four times (2008-10, 2013), which is the most in the country.

• 4,571 fans watched the Pilots open the season with a 1-0 victory over Marquette on Aug. 23, which included a program record 1,700 students.

NWSL

• Nine Portland alums total played in the inaugural NWSL season: Christine Sinclair, Danielle Foxhoven, Angie Kerr (Woznuk) on Portland, Megan Rapinoe, Stephanie Cox (Lopez), Keelin Winters and Elli Reed on Seattle and Sophie Schmidt and Kendall Johnson on Sky Blue FC.

• Sinclair, Foxhoven and Kerr helped the Thorns claim the inaugural NWSL Championship with a 2-0 win over Western New York on Aug. 31.

THE BLOGGER

• Lorielle McCluskie has taken on blogging duties for Portland, so be sure to bookmark PortlandPilots.com/LoBlog to follow Lo and the Pilots all season long.

• Meanwhile, Erin Dees is posting a biweekly blog on espnW.com.

A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Empty OMG

Post by purple passion Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:50 pm

#5 PORTLAND PILOTS (11-1-1, 3-0-0 WCC)

vs. GONZAGA BULLDOGS (5-6-1, 1-1-0 WCC)

Date: Saturday, October 19, 2013

I'll need a map to find that one.

Kick-off: 7:00 p.m.

Pitch: Merlo Field (4,892)

Last edited by purple passion on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Too much quoted)
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Empty Re: Gonzaga

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:05 am

Boy! Are the folks in Portland CA ever going to be surprised when a bunch of half  naked guys in kilts show up for their HS football game....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Just sitting down in the T-Room, but still reflecting on tonight’s game.
1. Haven’t seen the stats, but GU definitely came to play….they kept pushing forward in the second half and had their opportunities.
2. Can’t fault Weatherington for the OG…it appeared her she was totally blocked from seeing the ball.
3. GU’s Coach Edwards has a potty mouth….
4. Can’t recall how the Pilots ended up with an indirect free kick at the end, but that was a wonderful finish by LaPrevotte….
5. It was a 2-1 win in OT, and I don't pay attention to RPI, but the Pilots are going to have to pick it up if they are to keep winning….the schedule gets tougher!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11268
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Boy! Are the folks in Portland CA ever going to be surprised when a bunch of half  naked guys in kilts show up for their HS football game....
They were still half-naked tonight.....pretty good turnout considering UP is on Fall Break.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Rules 

From the NCAA's soccer rules:

"There are eight types of behavior that the referee shall penalize by ejection.

12.3.7 Engages in hostile or abusive language or harassment that refers to race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin, or other abusive, threatening
or obscene language, behavior or conduct; ....
A.R. 12.3.7.a. If the referee believes that a player, coach or other bench personnel
uses abusive, threatening or obscene language/gestures unintentionally, may the referee
decide not to eject the individual? RULING:No.

Offenses for which an indirect free kick shall be awarded are:

12.4.8 Unsporting behavior, including inappropriate language;

...."

The language came from the bench during play.  The ref awarded an indirect free kick from the point where the ball was at the time of the language.

Given what happened on the field at the end of the game, with the Pilots treating the free kick like an indirect kick, this appears to be what happened.

Rules 
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Was just watching the replay when the video stopped. I went back to start it over, it was gone from the website.

The announcers did say that Cruz has a sprained ankle and will be out for a couple of weeks.

Any word on Frisbee's injury?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Empty Not good despite a win

Post by justabystander Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Boring - and play without urgency or killer mentality. Same girls making same mistakes (poor trapping, poor first touch). Thank goodness we continue to play WEAK teams. But hey, if Garrett rewards this type of play who am I to question? Then again...the playoff run may be short.

justabystander
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Leaving the field, I was chatting with another fan who said he saw Gonzaga's coach throwing something onto the field, which I assume must have been done in frustration at offsides not being called on the play that preceded the free kick. He said she then ran out onto the field to pick it up.

Can any of you folks from the fur-lined seats confirm or deny that report? I didn't see anything from where I was sitting behind the goal.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Leaving the field, I was chatting with another fan who said he saw Gonzaga's coach throwing something onto the field, which I assume must have been done in frustration at offsides not being called on the play that preceded the free kick. He said she then ran out onto the field to pick it up.

Can any of you folks from the fur-lined seats confirm or deny that report? I didn't see anything from where I was sitting behind the goal.
I'm guessing that the indirect kick related to the ejection. Assuming I'm right, here is the full NCAA rule on ejections"

12.3 Ejections
An ejection is a formal disciplinary action requiring specific procedures
to be followed by the referee including stopping the clock, suspending play
and displaying a red card. For all ejections, the referee shall electronically
complete and file the appropriate form(s) located on the NCAA Soccer
Central Hub website at www.NCAAsoccer.arbitersports.com within 24 hours
of completion of the game.(See Page 6.)
There are eight types of behavior that the referee shall penalize by ejection.
Note: Cautions and/or ejections issued during suspended or forfeited games shall
stand as a matter of record.
The referee shall eject from the game a player, who cannot be replaced, a coach
or any team representative if that individual:
12.3.1. Is guilty of serious foul play;
12.3.2. Is guilty of violent behavior;
A.R. 12.3.2. Two players of the same team commit unsporting or violent behavior
toward each other on the field of play. RULING:The players shall be cautioned or
ejected from the game, and the game shall be restarted with an indirect free kick.
12.3.3. Is guilty of fighting;
A.R. 12.3.3. A defensive player strikes an offensive player in the penalty area before a
free kick is taken. RULING: If the ball was not in play,eject the defensive player, and
restart with the free kick.
12.3.4 Spits at an opponent or any other person;
12.3.5 Denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by
deliberately handling the ball;
12.3.6 Denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving toward
the player’s goal by an offense punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick;
12.3.7 Engages in hostile or abusive language or harassment that refers to race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin, or other abusive, threatening
or obscene language, behavior or conduct; or
A.R. 12.3.7.a. If the referee believes that a player, coach or other bench personnel
uses abusive, threatening or obscene language/gestures unintentionally, may the referee
decide not to eject the individual? RULING:No.
A.R. 12.3.7.b. May a player be cautioned and/or ejected during an interval between
periods or after the completion of a match? RULING:Yes. Moreover, if time remains
and the player in question has not been substituted for before the incident occurs or
the penalty has been assessed, the team shall play short for the remainder of the game.
12.3.8 Receives a second caution in the same game.
A.R. 12.3.8.a. Shall the referee eject a player, coach or other bench personnel who
dissents? RULING:No, not if it is a first occurrence.
A.R. 12.3.8.b. Shall a game be suspended immediately to caution or eject? RULING:
No. If the referee applies the advantage clause, he or she shall caution or eject when
play is suspended.

I don't see anything about an ejection for going onto the field without permission. It is cause for a foul call followed by an indirect kick, but not for a red card.

I'm gathering from what DoubleDipper said that he could hear obscene language from Gonzaga's coach. That fits with a red card.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:54 pm

A_Fan wrote:Was just watching the replay when the video stopped.  I went back to start it over, it was gone from the website.
You can still access the full-game video via Gonzaga's website. Click on the video icon for the UP-GU game on their women's soccer schedule page. It comes up with the game video in the left pane.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:08 am

I agree that obscene language seems the most likely reason.

But it does seem a bit extreme to me, in a game situation like that - tie game, overtime - to show a straight red card for foul language, especially since it did look to me like the sideline official was out of position on that play. If Portland wasn't offsides on that play, it was very, very close.

I happened to notice the ejected coach chatting with UP's Terry Favero outside the stadium after the game, and she seemed sort of nonplussed about the whole thing. I was expecting her to be furious, but she didn't seem that at all.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:11 am

Stonehouse wrote:Leaving the field, I was chatting with another fan who said he saw Gonzaga's coach throwing something onto the field, which I assume must have been done in frustration at offsides not being called on the play that preceded the free kick. He said she then ran out onto the field to pick it up.

This puts a new light on things...

She was animated, but I couldn't tell if she went on the field or threw anything or not. Everyone was standing and jumping around asking for the OS. I'm pretty sure she had a clip board or something, so maybe it slipped out of her hand? If that is the case, it is still USB ( unsporting behavior) for going onto the field, but Randy Waldrum didn't get a red last year for it. He was 5 yards onto the field and merely got herded back, and that took a little time and he did a passive-aggressive thing like he didn't hear. Edwards isn't Waldrum, though.

But it would explain the location of the free kick, as the foul gets a restart from the spot the ball was when the offence occurred.

The ball was dead when the ref gave the foul, but not when it apparently happened. The #4 official actually made the call and called the ref over, then was pointing, and he did point onto the field, so maybe it wasnt speech. There was commotion with the #4 while the ball was in play and the #4 went down the line to the bench.

Best video feed on the web and we don't get to see it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:16 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:Rules  Given what happened on the field at the end of the game, with the Pilots treating the free kick like an indirect kick, this appears to be what happened.Rules 
We thought that might be the case, but as none of my T-Room mates had seen a coach ejected before, we did not know the rules for the continuation of play.

We did surmise, however, that Coach Edwards will have to sit-out the next game due to her red card.
UPSoccerFanatic wrote:I'm gathering from what DoubleDipper said that he could hear obscene language from Gonzaga's coach.  That fits with a red card.
We heard obscene language, but from where we were standing (and with my airplane addled ears) we could not tell exactly WHO it was coming from.

After the red card, we just assumed the obscenity came from the bench, and that either Coach Edwards was the offender or she was given the red card on behalf of her staff or players who may have been the actual offender.

As the run of play was NOT exactly going UP's way at that point, it was the turning point that UP may look back upon come playoff time as being a stroke of good luck.....if they continue to survive their run of seemingly uninspired play.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ha, ha - defender to offender)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:21 am

I recall seeing the 4th official on the field, but that was after a stoppage of play; I do NOT recall seeing the coach on the field....but really, why would we if our focus was directed toward the field of play!

I'm guessing we'll learn something in the next few days.....Sleep
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:33 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I recall seeing the 4th official on the field, but that was after a stoppage of play; I do NOT recall seeing the coach on the field....but really, why would we if our focus was directed toward the field of play!

I'm guessing we'll learn something in the next few days.....Sleep
actually, my focus was directed at least part of the time at the #4 leaving midfield and going down to the bench and engaging the folks there. it was right in front of where I sit.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:37 am

I decided to click on the link in the long rule I quoted, for the "NCAA Soccer Central Hub" website, which is for NCAA soccer officials. The very first thing I see on the page this takes me to is this:

"10/15/2013 Midseason Notes
Bench Personnel:

There is a happy medium of bench behavior to strive for. On one extreme, some officials are allowing visual, audible, and persistent complaining by coaches that is abusive to go without any sanction or action. On the other extreme, some officials are being dismissive of fair and reasonable questions or requests to monitor infractions such as fouls and encroachment. A few guidelines on bench behavior:

- Allow the coaching staff to have some interaction with you on a polite and professional basis. This is part of your overall game management. Expect some emotion on critical decisions. These comments are usually brief, even if they are sometimes loud. If the emotional outburst persists, firmly but politely let the coach know you are willing to listen when they are ready to speak with (not scream at) you more calmly. Responding in a confrontational manner will do little to calm them down. At times listening is the best option. Cutting them off builds confrontation rather than compliance for future requests.

-Allowing for dialogue and the occasional emotional outburst does not equate allowing unfettered screaming, yelling, or abuse, particularly when profanity is used. Profanity in the collegiate game should never be permitted. If the abuse is directed at the Referee or an AR, or if the coaching staff leaves the coaching and team area to pursue an official, it cannot be ignored. Establish a clear understanding during the pregame when bench personnel approach irresponsible behavior. If a 4th official or AR calls a referee over to card a coach/asst. coach for dissent, there is very little reason for a referee not to honor that request."

I've also noticed in the past that the rule on obscene language is written to allow no discretion. I don't know if it's enforced that way, but the rule itself is very clear. Even if someone on the bench unthinkingly uses language that violates the rule, the ref is required to issue a red card.

The ref is required to file a report on the ejection, but I don't know if the public gets access to it, so I don't know if we will be able to find out exactly what happened.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:44 am

eProf wrote:You can still access the full-game video via Gonzaga's website. Click on the video icon for the UP-GU game on their women's soccer schedule page. It comes up with the game video in the left pane.
it is gone also.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:15 am

Nothing new here.....but nice to see the goals replayed:

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:32 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Best video feed on the web and we don't get to see it.
This can be frustrating, I know.

But until every other school makes super high-quality videos of their women's soccer games available on-demand, it puts UP at a disadvantage. Opposing coaches can scout watch the previous games and use them to scout the Pilots.

As we all know, other schools do not put the same amount of resources into providing high-quality web streams for women's soccer... why should we provide opposing coaches with beautiful, HD game film if they don't provide us with anything at all?

I don't think UP will ever provide them unless it comes down as a mandate from the WCC or NCAA that everyone needs to do it.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 am

Stonehouse wrote:As we all know, other schools do not put the same amount of resources into providing high-quality web streams for women's soccer... why should we provide opposing coaches with beautiful, HD game film if they don't provide us with anything at all?
That's as good a reason as any for NOT posting video...why give the opposition any advantage!!

And really, as fans we should just cherish the memories without the disadvantage of video tape.  Afterall, just like the memories of our own athletic accomplishments, they'll just keep getting better and better as the years go by.  Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 am

I have a refined guess as to the sequence of events at the end of the game last night.

1.  Gonzaga coach throws a fit about off-sides not being called against the Pilots and throws something on the field as part of the fit.

2.  Gonzaga coach goes on to the field during play to retrieve what she threw, without getting permission from the 4th to go get it.  At the time she goes on to the field, the ball is just inside the box on the left side.

3.  The AR observes and calls the ref over.  The rules are clear, this must result in an indirect free kick:

"Offenses for which an indirect free kick shall be awarded are:

"...

"12.4.5 Persons other than the players and assistant referees entering the field of play without the referee’s permission; ...."

Since this must result in an indirect free kick, it must be that the free kick is to take place from where the ball was at the time of the infraction.

4. During the course of the sideline discussion, the Gonzaga coach throws a further fit and uses a bad word referring to the 4th or to the ref.  This must result in a red card and ejection, under the rule I quoted earlier. This is particularly on the ref's mind because she just has received an advisory -- publicly available, so there's no reason for coaches not to be aware of it -- on the very issue of enforcement of the language rule. The ref issues the red card.

5. The Pilots take the indirect kick by a short soft touch and a shot, which is one way to take a free kick.  We know the rest.

I sure wish we could see the report the ref probably already has filed on the incident. Then we'd know for sure.

PS - When was the last time all -- or almost all -- of us saw an indirect free kick in the box?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:01 am

US v. Canada in Olympics. And don't ask Sinc about it or we have a repeat of the red card for offensive language. Even from normally mild mannered Sinc, who probably is still mad about it!

But then you knew all of this, UPSF. Wink
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am

Tough game last night. Gonzaga were quick to the ball and physical and Pilots never got into their way of playing. Needed to get the ball down on the ground and play the passes but it was bouncing around and little knots of players were competing for the ball. Gonzaga succeeded it getting the Pilots to play on their terms and not ours.
Hope that Frisbie is OK and able to play next weekend.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:31 am

What a frustrating game to watch. As to the indirect free kick, some comments here make it appear that a few folks do not know the signal for an indirect which is the ref holding her hand in the air until the first touch occurs. Hand in the air, it's an indirect.

As to the game overall, it was one more example of a team that lacks any killer instinct. How many times can a team pass up good shots and get away with it? At least twice, Evans had a step on the defender and got within 15 yards of the goal only to stop to do something other than shoot. One play in particular in the second half was totally inexplicable. I know it's easy for fans in the stands to see what appears to be an opening to shoot, but we aren't always wrong. SHOOT THE BALL!!! Has any one else noticed that Wetherington never takes the ball down the field to the end line but always cuts back across the field with the ball? I've noticed this in every game in which she plays the left side. If she can't handle the ball with her left, why is she there? In general, this group appears unable to make any cross or shot with their left foot, other than Frisbie, of course. How can that be at this level? Even when I coached at the rec level I never accepted that from the kids and they learned to execute. When will Parker stop these ridiculous little tappy passes that get intercepted 90% of the time? She has given away too many uncontested possessions for a player with her experience. I was glad to see a return of her aggressiveness last night as it has been lacking in recent games. This team is very fortunate to have only one loss and they really need to play with the style they showed at the beginning of the second half and in the OT from the opening kick of every game if they are going to deserve a high seed and then if they hope to advance past the second round. They have way too much talent on the team, especially the freshmen, to be playing at the level they have shown so far. No excuses.

I know some have stated that there is no place for criticism in this site but without some constructive comments, it is nothing but milquetoast. This was once a very interesting site as folks debated the various aspects of the team's play. If these kids are truly competitors, they can take constructive criticism and move on.

Now the most important issue: how is Amanda?

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next