Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford

4 posters

Go down

Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford Empty Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jun 16 2008, 13:40

The Tention news has been out for a while, but this is the first I've seen of Dick Davey going to Stanford:

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/061608aaj.html

Davey is a classy guy and a great x's and o's coach, and I think Dawkins is smart in bringing in two former head coaches who have done tons of recruiting, since that wasn't Dawkins' gig at Duke.

I wonder if Dawkins will let Davey wear argyle on the sideline! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford Empty Re: Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford

Post by PilotNut Mon Jun 16 2008, 15:42

A great move by Stanford, IMO... Davey would be a great assistant to have on your bench.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford Empty Add Coach Dan Shell from SMC, Too

Post by MJGoGaels Fri Jul 18 2008, 19:04

Dan Shell, assist at SMC for 7 years, gets added to the Stanford staff in a position still to be determined.
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford Empty Re: Dick Davey, Rodney Tention Coaching at Stanford

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09 2012, 17:55

I resurrected this old thread, when I read the following on College Hotline:
Action: Stanford associate coach Dick Davey announces his retirement, effective at the end of the season (which is now).
Reaction I: Davey is better known as the longtime former Santa Clara coach and four-time West Coast Conference Coach of the Year.
Reaction II: But he’s best known for being one of the finest teachers of the game the west coast has seen in the past 30+ years … and for being an all-time good guy who deserved much better than he got from the SCU administration.
Reaction III: Davey’s problem in his final years as a head coach — and it was more of an issue than a problem — was his (commendable) refusal to pander to the caliber of recruits, and their handlers, that SCU needed to compete for the WCC title in the age of Gonzaga. The game didn’t pass him by; the recruiting process disgusted him.
Reaction IV: Hiring Davey was the smartest thing Dawkins has done in his four years at Stanford. Now he’ll have to make another smart decision with Davey’s replacement.
LINK

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 09 2012, 23:25

Always considered Dick Davey to be the consummate teacher; not just of basketball, but of life-skills too.

I recall the two years in a row that Coach Davey went out of his way to congratulate and praise Dionn Holton for his wonderful defensive performances against two-time WCC player of the year Steve Nash in the Chiles Center in 1995 and 1996.

The ’95 game set an all-time attendance record of ”5,007” (of course the EACC opened in 1984 with a capacity of 4852, so you’ll just have to ask Joe how so many folks shoe-horned into the facility), and UP blew-out the Broncos 72-49. The next year attendance was less, but the result was similar as UP won 80-71.

I always felt the SCU administrators forced a good man out when Davey “retired” so a new generation of coaching could takeover, but instead they lost many of their old and long-time followers, their financial contributions, and, it would seem, their winning tradition.

Play lots of golf coach; you've earned a relaxing retirement. cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11270
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down