Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp

+4
Harry Redknapp
FANatic
GUPhantom
pilotsfan70
8 posters

Go down

Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp Empty Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp

Post by pilotsfan70 Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:56 pm

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_6553607.html

Sundhage Names 21 Players for 2008 Peace Queen Cup

From the 27 players who competed in training camp over the past two weeks at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., Sundhage released goalkeeper Kristen Luckenbill, defenders Keeley Dowling, Kendall Fletcher and Stephanie Cox, midfielder Angie Woznuk and forward India Trotter. Midfielder Leslie Osborne tore the ACL in her left knee during training camp and was ruled out of contention for an Olympic spot.
pilotsfan70
pilotsfan70
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Back to top Go down

Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp Empty Re: Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp

Post by GUPhantom Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:25 pm

OH NO!!!! Shocked

Is this Coach Sundhage final roster set for the Olympics? I thought Angie could have a good chance at at a spot when Leslie was lost. But, I hadn't expected Steph not to be included. I thought she'd be a mainstay on the Senior Team by now. You never know I guess. Sundhage may change her mind after evaluating performances at the Peace Queen Cup and bring either or both back. Let's hope so.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp Empty Re: Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp

Post by FANatic Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:59 pm

I am shocked that Steph was not chosen for the Peace Queen squad. I was rooting for Woz, but her being left off is not as shocking, what with her back injury and lack of training time with the squad. scratch

The Peace Queen Cup is July 15-21. They will be leaving for China very soon after. It would seem to be rather late to be making a roster change between the Cup and the Olympics. However, anything is possible... Crying or Very sad
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp Empty Stephanie Cox misses the Olympics!

Post by Harry Redknapp Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:35 pm

From the release: "The 21 players on the roster for South Korea, plus defender Ali Krieger, make up the 22 players from which the 18-player Olympic Team will be selected."

Major shock given all the minutes SC has played; sad for her.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Yes, it hurts to see Stephanie out of the lineup. The return of Heather Mitts, who has been a capable player and popular spokesperson for U.S. soccer, certainly made the U.S. talent pool deeper on defense. I am not familiar with Rachel Buehler, who is joining the veteran defenders Rampone, Chalupny, Markgraf and Whitehill. It's a bummer to see both Pilots gone; it was tempting to think that a creative ball-control offense with precision Pilot passing and tight defense was about to shine for America. This is a tough lineup to crack, even with Kristine Lily sitting it out.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp Empty cox cut

Post by purplehaze Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:01 pm

so I had a chance to talk with Stephanie. She is enjoying having time with her husband and living in Gig Harbor. She is not happy about the cut but has a great attitude, accepting it as part of a bigger plan for her future. I am sure we will see her in the 2012 games (when she will only be 26 years old!)

purplehaze
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:41 pm

Glad to hear she's taking it well. But, what else would anyone expect from Steph anyway? Did she mention what she was going to do to stay futbol sharp? Go to Europe? Wait for the new league?

I "was" liking what Sundhage was doing to change the style and culture of the Senior Team. But..not so much now...not without Steph...not without any Pilots!?? Anyway...its super tough to crack a roster limit of just 18 players! Sounds like our 2007 season, huh? I guess you don't need as many bodies for a tournament versus a long season running over 4 months.

I was looking over the current roster. By next WC...I think Markgraf, Boxx, Hucles, Wagner, Lily, Scurry will probably be retired. We may even have another coach? HA!!!! Rolling Eyes ....Anyway, that leaves a lot of spots up for grabs. I'm pretty sure Angie and Steph will get in.

What's the deal of taking 3 goalkeepers? I never understood that stategy? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have an additional defender or forward on the roster?

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:48 pm

For the Peace Queen...I just noticed that the US is in the same group as Brazil. NICE!!! affraid Hopefully, they have a better handle on Pilot-recruit Marta this time!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:02 am

GUPhantom wrote:What's the deal of taking 3 goalkeepers? I never understood that stategy? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have an additional defender or forward on the roster?

Not strategy. WWC rules require all teams to carry three keepers. Curiously, rules also require one of them to wear #1, and players must wear numbers 1-18.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:23 am

Just read that Cat Whitehill tore her ACL and is out of the Peace Queen Cup in Korea, as well as the Olympics. Steffi is going to Korea to replace her on the roster for the PQC, which will put her back in contention for the Olys.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Man...things can change in a heartbeat! I'm happy that Steph gets a chance for the Peace Queen and Olympic rosters but as I noted before in a previous post...ACL tears are an ugly, ugly aspect of Women's soccer. Cat Whitehill and Leslie Osborne are lost from the Senior Team in a span of just 2-3 weeks? Not to mention Heather Mitts just coming back and Shannon Boxx maybe just over a year into her recovery? Geez...anymore senior players I missed?!? We all know Megan Rapinoe would be on this roster too....if she hadn't been tagged too with this devastating injury!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Stephanie made the 18-player roster for the Olympics! Way to go Ms. Cox.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_7143429.html
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Sundhage releases Cox and Woznuk from camp Empty Congrats, Stephanie!

Post by FANatic Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:43 pm

Very Happy Great perseverance pays off sometimes and we all know Cox has that. All the best for a tremendous first Oympics and I hope Steph has a wonderful time representing her country and playing against some of the very best futbol players in the world. cheers
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:22 pm

Wow! What a roller coaster she's been on this year.

She deserves it and will make UP proud.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down